Main Menu

[LADDER TOURNAMENT 2013]Reports

Started by Vazdru, 13-01-2014, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Nastaboi 1 BUG Academy ramp (one) - hitman 3 4C Blood-Midrange (eight)

b) hamsert 0 Izzet-Control (four) - ChristophO 3 Winter Orb Staxx (five)

c) goblinpiledriver 3 Izzet-Midrange (three) - Vazdru 1 Captain URW-Control (six)

d) Payron 3 Izzet-Control (two) - coldcrow 0 RUG-Ramp (seven)

Semifinals:

hitman 3 4C Blood-Midrange - ChristophO 1 Winter Orb Staxx
goblinpiledriver 2 Izzet-Midrange - Payron 3 Izzet-Control

Highlander:

hitman 2 4C Blood-Midrange - Payron 3  Izzet-Control

gl to the partipants:

1. Nastaboi - winner of online championships 2009 and 2010, Finnish HL champion, hl council member
2. Payron - semi-finalist online championship 2009, 2011 and 2012, runner-up in HLL seasons 4x
3. goblinpiledriver - HL GP VIII champion, HL GP IX runner-up, German HL Nationals 2011 runner-up, winner of 4 HLL seasons
4. hamsert - HL GP XI Top 8, HLL Season XVII runner-up
5. ChristophO - Legacy GP Top 32, Winner of first HL Capitol Cup, German HL Nationals 2011 semifinalist, hl council member
6. Vazdru - HLL Season XVII champion, hl council member
7. coldcrow - HLL Season XIII champion
8. hitman - HL GP XIII runner-up, HL GP XI 9th place
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Feb. 19th is deadline for the quarterfinal-reports
Far below the earth

orca-

as in Top 8 usually the higher seeded player decides who gonna play first in g1 as clarification: in HLL Ladder Tournaments the decision who gonna first is randomized (e. g. die-roll)

Vazdru

goblinpiledriver an me sheduled our first games Friday, starting at 10.30 pm
audience is free to join  ;)
cya
Far below the earth

Vazdru

goblinpiledriver adds a longer report probably

here the games in short words from my point of view

g1: he won the roll and played, i pondered a while keeping a two-lander + Spell Snare, Forked Bolt, Chain Lightning, Cryptic Command and Entreat the Angels and said finally ok...and obviously missed landdrop 3 twice till i've found Brainstorm which revealed third land finally - so it was the fight inferno titan on his side facing TNN on mine with the better end for him as i stumbled on 3 lands again. In the final turn he played zealous conscriptors taking control over a mountain and shoot me to 2 lp with chain lightning after he forced my lightning helix which could have given me at least an extra turn... as he had bounced Titan in hand i've had no answer to save the last lps

g2: i spell pierced his gitaxian probe but had no t2 drop/counter as he played Frostborn Weird. Anyhow i've had TNN again which got "countered" by TNN on his side so it can to a funny damage race TNN vs TNN. I've had Geist + Sower entering the battlefield next but was too greedy attacking with geist + TNN vs empty board with him having 3 mana open, so he eventually killed sower by Fire/Ice and killed geist with regained weird too. Anyhow the angel gave my a nice tempo swing in the damage race but i was lack of a red source. When we both were on 1 lp I still missed to draw a land with Lightning Bolt and Ral Zarek on hand + Collonade in play so he killed my with TNN next turn while he had a single lp left

g3: i've had to take a free mulligan and then mulliganed to 6. As i've had Yound Pyromancer + Gitaxian Probe, + Miscalculation + Into the roil + 2 land i've kept it. From T2 onwards i flooded the board with tokens and killed him in time.

g4: I've had Island + Celestial Collonade first turns as he started with T3 TNN, I've had Sensei's + Personal Tutor for Supreme Verdict in my turn 3 - the mana base looked good as well (2 Island + Collonade + Hallowed Fountain + Sacred Foundry) since he played Blood Moon on turn 4 leaving me w/o white source so I've never had the chance to handle TNN in this game so my Kira, Glass Spinner + Glen Elendra Archmage lost the damagerace although i've had mana drain, Sensei's and so on...Lightning Helix and Supreme Verdict were still in hand when TNN has dealt the last points of damage

ggs, anyhow i've seen TNN much too often...i won't miss this merfolk if it gets lost somehow...
Far below the earth

Vazdru

i've just recapped my memories but totally ignored the replay-option
so I changed my vague remembrance with hard facts if necessary :)
changes have marked red

some further notes:

g1 he kept two-lander too but got his lands from the top - magic can be that simple  ???

g2 i've lost quite unluckily but in the end due my own fault in t3 by fecthing for Island + Tundra instead of Mountain + Tundra

Far below the earth

Tabris

btw if you guys want me to record and commentate the games, just give me a message or send me the replays.

ChristophO

ChristophO (Winter Orb Staxx) vs Hamsert (Izzet AggroControl)

G1:
I win the die roll and keep a hand of 4 lands, 2 acc. and a Decree of annihilation. I hope he has not chosen an aggro deck for this tournament. Hamsert mulls to 5. However he can stifle the Decree cycle and the games starts to go really long. At around 40 cards into my deck I can finish him with Tezeret, Agent of Bolas.

G2:
I am on the draw and have to take a free mulligan (only one land). I keep a hand with 2 lands, Crop rotation, trinisphere, trading post and 2 cards I do not remember (but there is no acc.). Hamsert leads with island go. I draw a fetchland, fetch savannah, crop rotation, workshop, Trinisphere. Hamsert luckily has no counter like Spell pierce for the Crop rotation. T2 i play Trading post. T3 Hamsert plays blood moon. I draw Mox opal and play it. I start to make a few goats and use them to force a Winter orb onto the board. Hamsert commits to a batterskull. I play burning of xinyhe and Hamsert has only one land left. I cycle Winter orb with Trading post and ramp to 7 mana before Hamsert can find a third land. He concedes.

G3:
We both durdle around. I play a couple of acc. stones which get countered. Hamsert plays a Clique and has to decide between a Mind spring and Wargate. I have 8 Mana on board (1 acc. stone, 2 Artifact lands, Academy, and 2 other lands). He chooses wargate and I draw a replacement Mana drain. I play mind spring for x=4 keeping drain open. In my next draw step Hamsert goes for the clique again. I mana drain, and use the mana to resolve Rising waters. This keeps him short on mana and i start to resolve bomb later in the game like Karn. I win with a concede before the Vraska Tokens can go in for the kill.

Vazdru

Quote from: Tabris on 25-01-2014, 02:19:16 PM
btw if you guys want me to record and commentate the games, just give me a message or send me the replays.

would be great to see the semifinals and finals on youtube  ;D

maybe the participants can contact you before they play it 
Far below the earth

hitman

hitman (4C Blood-Midrange) vs Nastaboi (5C Academy)

G1: We both kept our first seven
I won the roll and decided to play first. He has a very fast start with T1 City of Traitors + Signet and T2 Crop Rotation into Academy + Eorn Powerstone + Wasteland followed by T3 Demonic Tutor into Tezzeret, the Seeker but my T2 Sylvan Library found for everything in time and after Chandra Pyromaster hit the Board and start to generate card advantage. This plus the help of multiple Green Sun's Zenith I was able to win.

G2: I kept and he took a free Mulligan
A T1 Inquisition of Kozilek forced him to discard Sylvan Scrying and leave him with a hand of Lands + Manastone + Emrakul. He had some good draws with Shardless Agent and Wurmcoil Engine but Tidehollow Sculler (Vampire Hexmage), Xenagos the Reveler and Ajani Vengeant (forced Wurmcoil to stay tapped) build to much pressure before he played Kozilek, Butcher of Thruths and so I won this game.

G3: We both took a free Mulligan
He had a good start with Mana Stones and Shardless Agent into Worldly Tutor searching for Solemn Simulacrum to make sure he can play Channel on T5 followed by Myr Battlesphere + Batterskull. I tried to fight back via Dreadbore, Abrupt Decay, Thrun and Flametongue Kavu but in the end Kuldotha Forgemaster searching for Mindslaver seals the victory for Nastaboi.

G4: I kept and he took a free Mulligan
We both had good hands. I played a T2 Green Sun's Zenith for Deathrite Shaman so I can play a T3 Falkenrath Aristocrat. He had Toxic Deluge so my plan for straight aggro was ruined. He then used his T4 to play more Manastones while I flashed Aven Mindcensor into play. I used my turn to hit him on eleven lifepoints and without a 5th land I said go. Karn Libareted enters the battlefield going to ten and removing domri rade from my hand. Eot I played Eladamri's Call and decided to go aggro again with Bloodbraid Elf and the Thundermaw Hellkite I had in hand. I topdecked a land and Bloodbraid Elf found a Voice of Resurgence. The following attack puts him on six life. In his turn he dropped Wurmcoil Engine and then decided to remove Aven Mindcensor via Karn. At this point it seems like he totaly turned over the game. He had Karn with seven counters, three handcards, six lifepoints and a Wurmcoil Engine while I had only Thundermaw Hellkite + Liliana of the Veil in hand with five lands, voice and Bloodbraid in play. But fortune was in my side and I topdecked Maze of Ith and so I was able to achive victory.

Vazdru

first semifinal is ready to play

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Nastaboi 1 BUG Academy ramp (one) - hitman 3 4C Blood-Midrange (eight)

b) hamsert 0 Izzet-Control (four) - ChristophO 3 Winter Orb Staxx (five)

c) goblinpiledriver 3 Izzet-Midrange (three) - Vazdru 1 Captain URW-Control (six)

d) Payron (two) - coldcrow (seven)

Semifinals:

hitman 4C Blood-Midrange - ChristophO Winter Orb Staxx
goblinpiledriver Izzet-Midrange - winner d
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

I was playing BUG Academy ramp (not 5c or esper people seem to put it for some reason). I got the list from so_not who claimed it was the most powerful one, but oh man the deck is inconsistent. I admit I played badly and made wrong tutoring decicions, but if an opponent happens to have an answer to one threat, he has like infinity to execute his own game plan until I finally, if ever, draw any other business.

Quote from: hitman on 08-02-2014, 04:25:35 PM
He has a very fast start with T1 City of Traitors + Signet and T2 Crop Rotation into Academy + Eorn Powerstone + Wasteland followed by T3 Demonic Tutor into Tezzeret, the Seeker but my T2 Sylvan Library found for everything in time and after Chandra Pyromaster hit the Board and start to generate card advantage.
I had Wurmcoil first which he sworded, and then Liliana which left me at just 5 mana after Demonic. I tutored the other Tezzeret to animate signet and kill Liliana, he killed my Tezz and then Sylvan + Chandra took over.

He had some good draws with Shardless Agent and Wurmcoil Engine
Some good draws = I drew all bricks after these two cards. Either I'm extremely unlucky or just bad player, or the Academy deck is not that good.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 09-02-2014, 11:28:36 AM
I was playing BUG Academy ramp (not 5c or esper people seem to put it for some reason). I got the list from so_not who claimed it was the most powerful one, but oh man the deck is inconsistent. I admit I played badly and made wrong tutoring decicions, but if an opponent happens to have an answer to one threat, he has like infinity to execute his own game plan until I finally, if ever, draw any other business.

This is excatly what I've found out as well. It is very inconsistent, but that might be because we've had only few months to build those decks and this being largely casual format, people don't put 20+ hours on any deck on weekly basis and we really don't have anything solid to base our decks on. I wouldn't take it out of the watchlist for at least 6-9 months from now as it has a *ton* on promise.

Vazdru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 09-02-2014, 11:28:36 AM
..., or the Academy deck is not that good.

personally i think this is true most

Academy-decks can be very brutal but there are tons of decks around which can handle their threats and leave them with some manastones and lands in play

imo it's hard for academy-concepts to win especially vs hand-disruption + counterspells (+ planeswalker) as I've won vs Academy-Oath-Control (meteora) at GP 2:0 with BUGW-AggroControl and vs Academy-Oath-Control (goblinpiledriver) with UB-Tempo and in both matches i felt comfortable with open countermana
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Far below the earth