Main Menu

Community Poll - Mulligan

Started by Vazdru, 13-07-2013, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkLight

A! For more variability in the format. If we would change the mulligan to B or C many people will change their decks into one or two colored decks because of the solid manabase they don't have to mulligan as much as a multicolored deck.
Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.

crazy_malamute

B or C

This will kill my LD Deck but i think it's interesting to test someone new ...

C would help highlander to come closer to dci-rules.

grizzledmage

A.

Definitely.

And both of my HL-playing sons agree with me.

Although the arguments advanced in favor of the other options are mostly logical, I point out the following:

1. The current mulligan rule has been a defining characteristic of the game, and removing it will fundamentally change its identity.
2. Everybody who builds a deck understands the pros/cons of the mulligan, and can therefore choose and design his deck accordingly. In other words, the playing field is already level. (Example: if I am building a slow deck, and I understand that an aggro, or perhaps combo, deck might be too fast against me, I can choose to (a) try a different archetype, OR (b) select more cards that will keep me in the game until my deck starts to click.)

carte_blanche

• B

Why not A? Well, there are some weird decks around that exist just because of the spoils mulligan. Very greedy... and I do not like it.

C? Why should we care about the DCI??? HL is a format completey run by players, the community has some kind of influence which cards get the ban hammer and which get unbanned. You can talk to and play with the people that make these decisions. Why should we throw away this advantage? I don't get it.

(+ more a personal thing: I like to play golden bordered cards and cards from Collectors / International edition... it saves so much money!)

coldcrow

Vazdru

preliminary result:

NO.      A) SPOILS      B) FREEMULLIGAN      C) ROAD TO PARIS      B) over A)      D) OTHER   
   1      W0lf (Ger, Berlin)      Payron (Ger, East)      pyyhttu (Fin)      Payron (Ger, East)      Goblin-Diplomaten (Ger, Berlin)   
   2      berlinballz (Ger, Berlin)      guru (Ger, East)      Tiggupiru (Fin)      guru (Ger, East)      Firestorm Hellkite   
   3      tonytahiti (Ger, Berlin)      hitman (Ger, BW)      Nastaboi (Fin)      hitman (Ger, BW)         
   4      Tabris (Ger, Berlin)      mox-fanatic (Ger, BW)      Lightstorm (Fin)      mox-fanatic (Ger, BW)         
   5      dynagfx (Ger, Berlin)      NerfHerder (Ger, BW)      kasta (Fin)      NerfHerder (Ger, BW)         
   6      Absolem (Ger, Berlin)      orca- (Ger, BW)      oze (Fin)      orca- (Ger, BW)         
   7      Vazdru (Ger, BW)      Doks (Ger, NRW)      SirGalahad (Ger, NRW)      Doks (Ger, NRW)         
   8      Maqi (Ger, BW)      MMD (Ger, NRW)      MarcMagic (Ger, NRW)      MMD (Ger, NRW)         
   9      goblinpiledriver (Ger, BW)      LasH (Ger, NRW)      Wasser (Ger, NRW)      LasH (Ger, NRW)         
   10      Orkpopper (Ger, BW)      coldcrow (Ger, NRW)      Pennywise (Ger, Berlin)      coldcrow (Ger, NRW)         
   11      peeler (Ger, NRW)      ChristophO (Ger, North)      cagain (Ger, BW)      ChristophO (Ger, North)         
   12      WitH-FuLL-Force (Ger, BW)      JohnnyComboplayer (Ger)      Syras (Ger, BW)      JohnnyComboplayer (Ger)         
   13      effect (Ger, East)      ~fenry~ (Ger)      helle (Ger)      ~fenry~ (Ger)         
   14      BallLightning (Cze)      crazy_malamute (Ger)      Assariah ()      crazy_malamute (Ger)         
   15      Thaddeus (Cze)      carte_blanche (Ger)      Lancelot ()      carte_blanche (Ger)         
   16      nahkampfhamster (Ger)      azmotus (Fin)      cron ()      azmotus (Fin)         
   17      phyrexianblackmetal (Ger)      so_not (Fin)            so_not (Fin)         
   18      haju (Ger)      eliitti ()            eliitti ()         
   19      flashfreeze (Ger)                  MarcMagic (Ger, NRW)         
   20      Madsam (Ger)                  SirGalahad (Ger, NRW)         
   21      EntenMagier (Ger)                  helle (Ger)         
   22      oschmael (Ger)                  kasta (Fin)         
   23      JK (Ger)                  Firestorm Hellkite         
   24      rdyl (Ger)                  Nastaboi (Fin)         
   25      meteora (Ger)                           
   26      grizzledmage (USA)                           

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Thibir

A > D (commander one) > B > C

I´m from SVK :-)

TaZi

Thule

Sturmgott

A. Among few other things, the Spoils mulligan is what made this format unique and so much better than others.

Nastaboi

I think we should close this poll for now and reopen it couple of months later, when everybody has actually played with both and metagame has adapted to free mulligan.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 22-10-2013, 05:14:58 PM
I think we should close this poll for now and reopen it couple of months later, when everybody has actually played with both and metagame has adapted to free mulligan.

right, decision has been made for next months
Poll will be relaunched in time
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.