Main Menu

Dortmund 11.05.2013

Started by SirGalahad, 15-05-2013, 06:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirGalahad

There were 10 players again, mostly known faces. We played four rounds and had four players atop the standings with 3-1.

Top 4:

1. UBGw Goodstuff
2. 5c Goodstuff
3. ??
4. UGBw Goodstuff (me)

Match Report

First Round - UGBw Goodstuff
First round, first guy from Bielefeld with the mirror. Nils list differs from the one i play at around 7 cards or so. First game he just has the better draw and beats me easily. Game 2 is the other way round and i am able to tie the game. In game three i try to apply preasure against the NAtural Order in his hand, while keeping mana for a Miscalculation. As it turns out, this was a big mistake because he could counter all my threads while playing lands to trump my counter. Had the miscalculation been the Evasive Action i couldn't find, i should have won the game...

Second Round - UBg Oath
As my deck is build to stomp on slow decks and my opponent stumbles on his mana both games, nothing interessing happens here. Maybe i could have lost game 2, if my opponent countered my t2-play and played his Enlightened Tutor for Oath on his upkeep. But luckily he didn't see that...

Third Round - Elves
I expected the matchup to be really tough, but drawing one thread, one counter and cheap removal in time were enough both games. MVP of game 1 was Deathrite Shaman, who made 3 mana without me drawing any lands after the starting hand and getting my one land wasted.

Fourth Round - Naya
One game was won by his Kessing Wolf Run in combination with Mother of Runes and Garruk Primal Hunter. The other game i can't remember. But as i was paired down, my opponent couldn't reach the prices, so we split and he conceded.

Deck Report
I played Patrick's list from the GP, but couldn't find my Evasive Action and played a miscalculation which cost me a game. Before the tournament, i tried to add Ponder and Preordain to the list, but couldn't find a card besides the Sword of Fire and Ice to cut. All the time i drew the Sword, i hated it and would have loved to either draw Ponder or Preordain.
The deck has a big problem with planeswalkers and utility-lands, once they hit the board. Otherwise, one should win games against opposing goodstuff and control easily. Really agressive decks could poise problems, but the meta in Dortmund seems to shift more towards Goodstuff and Control.

Top 4 list will be on mtg-pulse as soon as they are posted on mtgforum by Auenland.

SirGalahad

Decklists are online: http://mtgpulse.com/event/13195#185113

One thing i have to add to my report: It was a little bit frustrating that the prices were given out via standings and not per points. So i got a lot less than the first place although i had the same points. As much as i liked the payout with vouchers for the shop, this was a little annoying to me. Maybe it will be different next time.