Main Menu

Boros

Started by MMD, 24-04-2013, 09:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMD

I would like to post the Boros list I played on the last HLGP and have terribly failed. I am certainly convinced that this is the ideal Boros build  ;D and like to receive your comments about were I could have f.a.i.l.e.d.

Short explanation of the strategy of this build:

- max 2 power turn 1 instead of 1 power evasion for a maximum damage output
- Wr build to support WW turn 2 (even WWW turn 3), no RR goodies like Searing Blaze or Kargan Dragonlordbecause of that (RR possible for mid/late game)
- 4 Mana slot should have immediate effect (instead of my pet card Hero of Bladehold)
- No cards like Kitchen Finks and/or Worship because they do not support the main strategy
- Enlightend Tutor Toolbox instead of Geddons (both hosers would be too many non aggro slots imo)
- Nearly no expensive Burn spells like Char, even no Incinerates

Main obstacles I faced:

-   very borderline game plan. If you do not reach 3 lands and spend nearly all your mana until end of game you will fall behind
-   Batallion does not work even with 43 creatures
-   Mana base was not working properly. Card choices are very demanding (R  WW  WW1  RR2)
-   You need a high amount of creatures in your hand (or first draws) as they will die like flies in the first turns
-   Nearly no topdecks available
-   Less power than the 3-5 colour aggros
-   Toughness problem (Arc Trail and stuff)
-   Damage output problem if  more than 2 creatures are killed/countered

All in all I think that Boros does only have a positive matchup against multicolour decks which loose the die roll which is not even close good enough to call it a deck.

Here's the list:

32   Lands
1   Arid Mesa
1   Barbarian Ring
1   Battlefield Forge
1   Bloodstained Mire
1   City of Brass
1   Clifftop Retreat
1   Flooded Strand
1   Karakas
1   Marsh Flats
1   Mishra´s Factory
1   Plateau
1   Rugged Prairie
1   Sacred Foundry
1   Scaldering Tarn
1   Wasteland
1   Windswept Heath
1   Wooded Foothills
1   Windbrisk Heights
6   Mountain
8   Plains

15   CC1 Creatues
1   Boros Elite
1   Dryad Militant
1   Elite Vanguard
1   Figure of Destiny
1   Goblin Guide
1   Grim Lavamancer
1   Isamaru, Hound of Konda
1   Jackal Pup
1   Mother of Runes
1   Rakdos Cackler
1   Savannah Lions
1   Steppe Lynx
1   Stromkirk Noble
1   Student of Warfare
1   Tattermunge Maniac

11   CC1 Spells
1   Burst Lightning
1   Chain Lightning
1   Dismember
1   Enlightened Tutor
1   Flame Slash
1   Forked Bolt
1   Harms Way
1   Lightning Bolt
1   Path to Exile
1   Reckless Charge
1   Swords to Plowshares

16   CC2 Creatues
1   Accorder Paladin
1   Daring Skyjek
1   Hellspark Elemental
1   Keldon Marauders
1   Kor Aeronaut
1   Kor Skyfisher
1   Lightning Mauler
1   Mistral Charger
1   Porcelain Legionnaire
1   Soltari Monk
1   Soltari Priest
1   Soltari Trooper
1   Stormblood Berserker
1   Stormfront Pegasus
1   Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1   Wojek Halberdiers

5   CC2 Spells
1   Arc Trail
1   Boros Charm
1   Lightning Helix
1   Price of Progress
1   Winter Orb

5   CC3 Creatues
1   Boros Reckoner
1   Flickerwisp
1   Magus of the Moon
1   Mirran Crusader
1   Silverblade Paladin

9   CC3 Spells
1   Blood Moon
1   Brimstone Volley
1   Grafted Wargear
1   Oblivion Ring
1   Spectral Procession
1   Staggershock
1   Sulfuric Vortex
1   Sword of Fire and Ice
1   Sword of War and Peace

7   CC4 Stuff
1   Flametounge Kavu
1   Hellrider
1   Hero of Bladehold
1   Hero of Oxid Ridge
1   Sublime Archangel
1   Elspeth, Knight Errant
1   Parallax Wave

Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

LasH

I think your result shows that you cannot run 2 mana 2/1 evasion creatures anymore. All these creatures are bad nowdays because other colors have 3/3 beater for this mana or a 4 drop that totally wrecks you. I dont like some of your card-choices exspecially not the ones who need 2 more creatures in attack phase.

I would change:

CC1 Creatues
-   Boros Elite
-   Steppe Lynx
-   Student of Warfare
-   Tattermunge Maniac

CC2 Creatues
-   Daring Skyjek
-   Lightning Mauler
-   Mistral Charger
-   Stormfront Pegasus
-   Wojek Halberdiers

CC3 Spells
-   Sword of Fire and Ice
-   Sword of War and Peace

Possible choices

More Burn
+Black vise
+forked bolt
+incinerate
+arc lightning
+searing spear etc
to get rid of annyoing creatures

LD-Plan
+ Cataclysm
+ Armageddon
+ Ravages of war

Better Creaturs
+ Serra Avenger
+ Cerodon Yearling
+ Duergar Hedge-Mage
+ Goblin legionnaire
+ Soltari champion
+ Aven Mindscensor
+ Kitchen finks
+ Gore-House Chainwalker
+ Vexing Devil

Nice topdecks
+ Ajani, Caller of the Pride
+ Angelic destiny

Your list has no answer to crumbling sanctuary and probaly loses to any resolving batterskull/wurmcoil/baneslayer. I really think boros can be better than your build (sry i know you are a good player and deckbuilder, dont take it personal). In general i think aggro decks like this (ww/br/rw/rdw) need to be all in these days meaning that you have to run more burn to finish of the opponent fast or wreck him with geddon (probally actually the worse gameplan). Just push this list to a better RDW list by adding better creatures/cards for the cost of a weaker manabase but keep the speed. As long as you dont manage to do that just run another deck. You said it too, your list is just weaker than 3-5c aggro and slower than monored so i kinda dont see why you would run it on a tournament since i know you have better options in stock :)

pyyhttu

The deck certainly does not look bad, though there are some card choices I'd replace for my personal preference.

And I like your approach in building process, very methodological.

On a first sight I would maybe get rid of the Enlightened package along Winter Orb and Blood Moon and increase burn. It may sounds strange, but Orb is symmetrical you can't nowadays abuse as well as one used to, and Blood Moon sometimes does nothing.

You also mentioned Battalion not working, and I can relate to that. Did you try to break other mechanics, like double strike?

MMD

Imo you can possibly tweak the list here and there but when you take a look from above you should find out that Boros is just weaker than MonoR and 3-5C Aggro. There is nearly no reason to play Boros any more.

However, I fulfilled my promise to my teammates and piloted Boros on the next big tournament and can finally unsleave this pile. The whole hyper aggro strategy is too narrow for my taste but I will certainly use MonoR to benchmark my own decks.

Does any one need a foil WW Deck?  ;)

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

W0lf

Highlander is not draft and playing boros is just not that simple as it looks. Your list plays to many non evasion creatures and you lack the global +1/+1 effects a swarm deck like your ww/rsplash deck needs.also and even more important you did cut 2 of your most important key cards armageddon and ravages. Also rishadan port is missing which should be an autoinclude in this archetype. Boros is a great deck but its hard to play and hard to build.

MMD

Mmh, I neither had big problems with missing evasion (except for the wretched battalion guys) nor have I ever missed a Geddon effect. Even the Crusade stuff would have been just mediocre as there was often not enough beef on the table, so its main application would have been to let my creatures alive against Arc Trail and stuff.

Imo the most important ability of a creature in an aggro deck is haste and WW does not offer that at all, so it's a bad deck for me. You can certainly have your nut draws in WW/Boros but it's simply too narrow. I agree with Rishadan Port, which I simply forgot somewhere during deck building process.

By the way, I don´t think Boros is hard to play, at least not harder than any other aggro deck.

W0lf

I just remember winning many games with kickered goblin bushwhacker when i used to play boros. Maybe times have changed since then.

Vazdru

Does anyone have an updated Boros list?
Mine is a bit old-fashioned, some kind of inspiration would be fine :)
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Goblin-Diplomaten

The only list I've found is from july 2016 and seems like an equipment theme deck but maybe it is good enough for some inspiration  ;)

https://mtgdecks.net/Commander/boros-decklist-by-tomi-peltonen-630892

Vazdru

Hey thanks.
List looks ok but not much innovative :)
Missed to add Spirit of the Labyrinth anyhow...at least a minor change for my current list.

Would like to see a list from 2017 ...if existing at all  ???
Far below the earth

DarkLight

Same theme kinda artifact/equipment based, last update Aether Revolt

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/31-05-17-oyI-deck-paste/

playing this online just for fun so not really full developed maybe need some tuning
Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.

Vazdru

thx - Boros Equipments seems the way to go for Boros players :)
Far below the earth