Main Menu

The Spoils-Mulligan Problem

Started by Firestorm Hellkite, 18-04-2013, 01:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firestorm Hellkite

I don't want to slap the dead horse in this Thread. But I have a suggestion for the Spoils Mulligan, that has not been discussed there:

Why not considering to weaken him like Commander/EDH does it: Denying X cards, redrawing X-1 cards?

IMO this mulligan prevents the Screw/Flood Problem just slightly less than the spoils mulligan, but is significantly less abusable "to build your perfect hand", as one less card is a strong disadvantage.

Additionally it rewards well built decks with good manabases, as they do not need to mulligan often. And the number of shuffles also decreases.

MMD

This would at least punish the latest deck design strategies which squeeze mana sources out of their deck and play just around 30 lands.

However, if you ask me today I would like to remove the Highlander mulligan completely and go back to the official mulligan rules.  :o

I have not tested it yet, but I am sure it is possible to build reliable manabases with it, certainly no 4-5C deck with 32 lands. If you want to play more than two colours you should also better add some of the underplayed dual mana lands (Filter-, M13-, Pain lands, etc.)

I think Wizards printed a critical mass an cards with a compareable powerlevel to fill a 100 card deck, especially when you have to add some lands.

Deleting the Spoils will also create a new metagame which will be interesting to explore.

Also there is a chance to gain some Spikes which currently do not show interest for Highlander because of the Spoils rule.
Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Firestorm Hellkite

If you consider THIS in the Highlander FAQ, the Mulligan explicitly is introduced to reduce the higher statistical screw/flood problem, which comes up with 100 card decks.

Even if you can build more reliable manabases for three-, four- or five-colored decks nowadays, the old cause for introducing the spoils mulligan still stands. But problem with the spoils mulligan is, that it doesn't only prevents screw and flood but also greatly improves an otherwise terribly built manabase, which is not desirable.

The "power reduced spoils mulligan" I proposed, was introduced in EDH/Commander for the exact same reason, the spoils mulligan was introduced according the Highlander FAQ. Therefore, why not giving it a try, if it eliminates the main problem the spoils mulligan has.

Quote from: http://mtgcommander.net/
Partial Paris Mulligan rule

Because Commander games are long and usually not played in multigame matches, the format uses a modified mulligan rule designed to alleviate mana-light hands without significantly increasing the odds of finding individual cards. This is also known as the "Brittany" mulligan rule.
[...]
It is worth noting that even with this form of mulligan, decks playing an insufficient number of mana sources will routinely draw poor hands or insufficient mana as the game progresses.