Main Menu

[LADDER TOURNAMENT 2012]Reports

Started by Vazdru, 22-01-2013, 12:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Tabris 3 UW Control (one) - pyyhttu 1 Emrakul-Combo (eight)

b) Nastaboi 3 UWb Control (four) - coldcrow 1 MBC (five)

c) goblinpiledriver 1 Alara Blood Aggro (three) - r4nd0m 3 Dark Bant (six)

d) Payron 3 Reanimator (two) - LasH 1 Metalslaver (seven)

Semifinals:

Tabris 1 UW Control (one) - Nastaboi 3 UWb-Control (four)
r4nd0m 3 Dark Bant (six) - Payron 0  Reanimator (two)

Highlander:

Nastaboi 2 UWb-Control (four) - r4nd0m 3 Dark Bant (six) 

gl to the partipants:

1. Tabris - reigning Online Champion, winner of HLL season XII, HL GP Top 8, German HL Nationals Top 8, hl council member
2. Payron - semi-finalist online championship 2009 and 2011, runner-up in HLL seasons 4x
3. goblinpiledriver - HL GP VIII Champion, HL GP IX runner-up, German HL Nationals 2011 runner-up, winner of 4 HLL seasons
4. Nastaboi - winner of Online Championships 2009 and 2010, Finnish HL Champion, hl council member
5. coldcrow - HLL XIII winner
6. r4nd0m - Top 8 + Top 16 Austrian Nationals
7. LasH - Online Championship 2011 runner-up
8. pyyhttu - German Open Champion 2010, reigning HLL Season Champion, hl council member
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Far below the earth

r4nd0m1

So, here is the report from my QF. Unfortunately, my replay got lost so Ill try to remember as much as I can and not mix it up too much.

Dark Bant vs goblinpiledriver with Alara Blood Aggro

I win the die roll and have 2 elves and turn 3 Thragtusk, while opp has a small Tarmogoyf and Loxodon Smiter. When hes on 12 life and doesnt block, Im pretty happy. Then I see his plan was Shriekmaw, but I have a counter and 2 Manlands for lethal.

Game 2 opp only has Deathrite Shaman and Treetop Village, I think, but I dont have much either, only a Garruk. Apparently, he doesnt have a good play and trades his Treetop for my Token and on the following turn Shaman for my Eternal Witness. I draw Natural Order, I think, and its 2-0.

Game 3 opp begins with Rakdos Cackler, Dark Confidant and something else, but I have Force Spike and another counter while the 2/2 starts beating me down. I have Swords and Path in hand, but I obv I try to find a blocker instead - especially since he has Raging Ravine in the meantime. I still have nothing but lands when opp has Bloodbraid Elf revealing Abrupt Decay. Swords is being played. At this point, Im below 10 life and eventually I die, but right now I actually dont remember how, sorry. 2-1

Last game is pretty tight and I get lucky I guess. Basically, Im kinda manascrewed and opp has some LD too, I believe. So, Im sitting on 3 mana - green, green, black, but I have Sylvan Library and at some point Sword of Feast and Famine.

Also, I have one of my discard spells which reveals lands, O-Ring and Path. I take Path and play Worldly Tutor for Tarmogoyf, which he o-rings, which I then answer with Maelstrom Pulse. Then, he has the 3/3 scavenge dude and his own Sword of F&F and is threatening to win the race, but fortunately I find Taited Pact for Maze of Ith. Opp can only chumpblock with Aven Mindcensor, before he topdecks Maelstrom Pulse for both Swords to stabilize the game. However, I manage to assemble a 4th mana and Garruk - for trample and the match :DDD.

ggs

Nastaboi

Nastaboi Creatureless UWb Control vs. Coldcrow MBC

3 - 1

Coldcrow wasn't really into MBC - he was okay with the archtype in general, but was forced to play suboptimal version as his computer broke down and he could not submit a deck in time.

I lost the roll and was forced to mulligan to an okay six. Coldcrow Duressed me and played some acceleration while I got Jace Beleren going. He had Vampire Nighthawk and I tried to protect my Jace with Clique taking Chainer's Edict, leaving him Dimir Machinations which he transmuted to Necro. Whoops. I had Esper Charm for it, but he got Leyline and tutor for Helm of Obedience.

He had some discard 2nd game but I had Top. After some topping, I tapped it at the end of his sixth turn to make four angels.

3rd game I had Ancestral Visions, Cryptic Command, Clique and Jace TMS. Coldcrow was manascrewed in addition to not playing real cards.

4th game I kept counter mana up and he refused to play spells. At four mana I played Stoneforge which ate Contagion and a card, at five mana I made him discard two more with Esper Charm, and at six mana I played Jace, Architect of thought, which gave me another planeswalker. He conceeded soon after.

Pretty lame games, I'd rather let him play a real deck.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Payron

Lash (Esper artifact ramp) - Payron (Reanimator)

First game: I won the role and started of with land and go. He started of with a top. Turn 3 I played Volrath's SHapeshifter but after he played demonic turn 3 he had a removel in my attack phase for it. In total he handelt 4 fatties of my deck with Path, Swords, Dispatch and the B artifact which you need to sac. While he his beating me with a Platium angel + lightning greaves. In the end my primeval titan gave me with bazar and Cephalid coliseum enought to dig for an answer which was a Kedrekt Leviathan which comes into play with 2 reanimators (1 instant in response to his grave hate) which bounced angel and sealed the game.

0:1

G2: he started with a Nihil Spellbomb which gave him enough time to build up his board. I tryed to force him into defense with my Quicksilver Amulet but in the end he killed me with Tezz 2.0 ulti (8 artifacts = 16 dmg)

1:1

G3: round 3 Bruried alive into turn 4 reanimator = gg

1:2

G4: I had pretty good pressure with a fast Hellkite but he handelt it with bounce and delayed me with counter ... at his last 4 life and a Spellbomb on his side i killed him with Corpose Dance he saced spell bomb and i used looter to put primeval titan into grave / play

gg's

1:3

Vazdru

First Semifinal:

r4nd0m Dark Bant (six) - Payron Reanimator (two)
Far below the earth

Tabris

Pyyhttu (5c EmrakulControl ) vs Tabris (UW-Control)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ky_YxJtF10&feature=youtu.be  <-- report as vid in german.

1:3 for me

Vazdru

Quote from: Vazdru on 22-01-2013, 12:14:47 AM

Semifinals:

Tabris UW Control - Nastaboi UWb-Control (four)
r4nd0m Dark Bant (six) - Payron Reanimator (two)

have fun in the semi-finals

reigning champion Tabris vs two-times champion Nastaboi
four-times semi-finalist Payron vs former Top-8-Austrian-National-Player r4nd0m
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

Nastaboi UWb Control vs. Tabris UW Control

3-1

The games were not that eventful. I was mana light 1st game, but Tabris was flooding, and finally I drew out of screw while he had nothing. G2 I had insane hand with all counters and Top, and winning counter war over early Entreat was all I needed to bury him under card advantage soon after. G3 I was again mana screwed but could still stabilize against his Tamiyo, except this time I never drew out of screw and his next planeswalker took over. In final game Tabris cast like three relevant spells total and just stared in disbelief his hand of pair of Plains against my full grip of counters.

Control mirrors could be all about skill, but far too often they are decided simply by who draws right amounts of relevant spells and mana, like this time.

Nastaboi

Please play the another semifinal, it will be a month since its announcement tomorrow.

Payron

r4nd0m would be nice if we can sheulder the match as soon as possible :)

r4nd0m1

Hi, yes we can play whenever, actually. I sent Payron a PM. Thx

r4nd0m1

Match has been played now. I win 3:0.

If thats convenient, I will upload the replayfiles after the finals, which will be played in the next couple of days, I hope.

Edit: Ladder SF vs Payron
Cheers

Vazdru

gl to Nastabloi and r4nd0m in the finals of this year's ladder tournament

Quote from: Vazdru on 22-01-2013, 12:14:47 AM
Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Tabris 3 UW Control (one) - pyyhttu 1 Emrakul-Combo (eight)

b) Nastaboi 3 UWb Control (four) - coldcrow 1 MBC (five)

c) goblinpiledriver 1 Alara Blood Aggro (three) - r4nd0m 3 Dark Bant (six)

d) Payron 3 Reanimator (two) - LasH 1 Metalslaver (seven)

Semifinals:

Tabris 1 UW Control (one) - Nastaboi 3 UWb-Control (four)
r4nd0m 3 Dark Bant (six) - Payron 0  Reanimator (two)

Highlander:

Nastaboi UWb-Control (four) - r4nd0m Dark Bant (six)

1. Tabris - reigning Online Champion, winner of HLL season XII, HL GP Top 8, German HL Nationals Top 8, hl council member
2. Payron - semi-finalist online championship 2009 and 2011, runner-up in HLL seasons 4x
3. goblinpiledriver - HL GP VIII Champion, HL GP IX runner-up, German HL Nationals 2011 runner-up, winner of 4 HLL seasons

4. Nastaboi - winner of Online Championships 2009 and 2010, Finnish HL Champion, hl council member
5. coldcrow - HLL XIII winner
6. r4nd0m - Top 8 + Top 16 Austrian Nationals
7. LasH - Online Championship 2011 runner-up
8. pyyhttu - German Open Champion 2010, reigning HLL Season Champion, hl council member

Far below the earth

r4nd0m1

Im really glad I can report that I have defeated Nastaboi 3:2 in a very tough finals.

Replay

Thanks@all for making this tournament possible.

ggs, Kurt Kofler