Main Menu

[Shadowmoor]

Started by Mythrandir, 19-04-2008, 01:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

well, we´ve got all the cards for this set. let's start discussing which cards will be good for Highlander, to which decks and why..

Here´s my opinion,

Once again for 5c control isnt any really relevant, "OMG that card is freaky awesome" card, however there are some cards i would like to test:
- firespout - seems like a nice card, versatile. seems rplayable

- oona, queen of the fae - a good finisher 6 mana 5/5 flying seems balanced, also it has a good ability (removing) which doesnt need tapping, plus the tokenn, it seems really playble, will certainly test it.

- augury adept - seems really powerful if it werent for its non-evasion (unlike shadowmage) and its 2 thoughness, but even though, 3 mana for a 2/2 which buys and lets you gain life sounds very tempting. (also good for UW control or variants)

- knollspine invocation - also a very interesting card, it can act as both a finisher and as a creature removal, and it isnt that mana expensive. the fact that one doesnt need R to play its ability (at instant, which is great) seems reaaly powerful. even for R aggro decks, it can see some play.

- faerie macabre -is good too, perhaps not for 5c control, but its discard ability at 0 mana, instant time to remove two cards is absolutely great. will probably seem some games

- dusk urchins - seems interesting too, nice cheap creature that gets some blocks/kill and some damage to players, with the bonus (possiblity) of drawing some cards. what do you think of this VS wall of blossoms? also good in BG "survival of fittest" deck and other decks

- twilight shepherd - is a nice timmy card, but for 6 mana 5/5 flying, vigilance it almost seems playable, specially for its PERSIST mechanic. as for its triggered ability for 5c control isnt that interesting, as for WW, is a very good card against WOG's. it probably doesnt worth the slot, but who knows.

- runed halo - it isnt very versatile but it can certainly stop stuffy doll combo, or other damage combo, and it can act as circle of protection: "insert name creature here"

- as for the avatar cycle i dont know.. good of awe seems fine, but i dont know if they are worthy, perhaps in some other decks.

well, this is it for 5c control, if you have any other suggestions or commentaries, feel free to post.

as for other decks, some cards i´ve alrady talked back there. but here are a few more good (in my opinion) cards for other decks:

- armored ascension - in a WW this is just powerful

- order of the whiteclay - good card for WW as well.

- river kelpie - good combo card? its bit mana expensive...

- there are some good cards for MBC, puppeter clique, polluted bonds, seem very control like. probably not good enough, but very interesting.

- smash to smitherens is good in RDW

- the aura cycle cards of the avatars semm quite playable too, specially in zoo like decks.

- dire undercurrents - very good card in a UB deck

- fulminator mage - probably one of the chase rares, and a really annoyance for 5c control.

- fossil find in a RDW seems good too, there isnt many cards in a RDW graveyard that one would like to play again.. so the random effect isnt that awful.

- tattermunge maniac - another on of the chase cards (uncommon) reaaly good for aggro decks.

- vexing shusher is interesting too - 2 mana for 2/2 isnt bad and the abilities are very good against heavy-counter decks

as for the lands, those basic-nonbasic lands are really awful.. =/

well, this is a very quick list after a very quick glance.

hope to see some opinions here.
:)

Vazdru

There are some decent cards especially for R/G:

- Tattermunge Maniac (Goblin) 2/1 C1
- Boggart Ram-Gang (Goblin) 3/3 C3 Haste/Wither
- Boartusk Liege (Goblin) ?!
- Vexing Shusher (Goblin) 2/2 C2 Can't be countered / Spotremovoal interruption

R/x

- Fullminator Mage (nice guy) 2/2 C3 "Wasteland"

Mono-Red

- Flame Javelin

Control

- Savour the Moment ?! C3 (Extra Turn without untap)
- Last Breath ?!

G/W // Elves

- Wilt-Leaf Liege (Elf) 4/4 C4 (+1/+1 G/W)   

+ some nice Finishers
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.