Main Menu

Another HL pro player...

Started by MMD, 24-11-2012, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMD

We have another pro player in our ranks: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpboc12/welcome#t8pp

Congratulation to Sascha for fighting throuth 1730 players without byes into the Top 8 in an unknown format with a deck he has borrowed the day before! Bad luck that he was mana screwed in the 3rd game against Juza.  :'(

Oh man it was really funny to see him reading opponent cards until round 16  :D

I´ll push him to write a report.
Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Vazdru

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Sworn

Quote from: Vazdru on 09-12-2012, 05:28:16 PM
and another one - even a GP winner this time  ;D :

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gplis12/welcome

http://mtgpulse.com/event/11390#158408

Yes I´ve played againts him in semifinals during that HL tournament (mtg.sk cup) and we are proud that even proplayers are likely attending Highlander tournaments across our country...

Vazdru

nice performance of HL players in Utrecht:

gratz to Björn / MMD to 5th place in team competion
gratz to Sebastion / TaZi to place 7
Far below the earth

MMD

Quote from: Vazdru on 18-03-2013, 02:13:32 AM
nice performance of HL players in Utrecht:

gratz to Björn / MMD to 5th place in team competion

Thanks for the lead Vazdru!

I would like to post a short report for my first (and most probably only) "original" Grand Prix Top 8.

I can just say that Team Limited is a blast to play, especially with fellow teammates. The weekend was pure fun! My teammates were Roland Hoyer (formerly Bode) and Mathias Wigge both are retired (semi-)pro players, so I was the noob player of our team this weekend without any life time pro points on my belt (which is now history  ;D). Btw, Roland is quite successful in Team Magic with a nice trophy in his vitrine earned in 2004  8)

We wanted to play GP Utrecht just to have a time out from family and working life and just to have a good time with old fellows. Our intention was to play day one with a positive result and find a good pub to drink a lot of beer and share some good stories from the past in the evening. We all had our Highlander decks with us for day two but in the end we "unfortunately" had nearly no time to play the even better format this time  :D

Roland and I had just read the Gatecrash spoiler and therefore had just a theoretical and very vague understanding of the format. When the dust has settled after the 16 rounds we ended 13-3, so my experience with Gatecrash is now 17 matches in total (I  played a 0-1 at the GPT single elimination tournament the day before). Even in the last draft I had to read some cards as was unaware about what they do exactly. Mathias played some Gatecrash drafts online and was our "Gatecrash Limited mentor" and teached us the basics of Gatecrash Limited before round 1 - we had no byes.

Fortunately we received a very good sealed pool. Mostly Mathias built our decks which were:

Mathias - Orzhov – with 12 of the good extort guys and a lot of removal (Merciless Eviction in the sideboard...)
Roland – Simic – just a mediocre Simic deck splashing Gruul Ragebeast, but Roland is the most skillful player from us and won a lot of games because he outplayed the opponent
Me – Boros – above-average overall quality plus four rare/mythic bombs (see below)

We played 8-2 (me 8-2) in Sealed and 5-1 (me 4-2) in Draft. I drafted an excellent Boros in the first (sole Boros player on the table), a good Dimir splashing two Nimbus Swimmer for winning in the second (sole Guild player again)  and a very bad Boros in the third draft (second Boros player to the right, shipping me a 4th pick Boros Charm to trap me while I opened a Frontline Medic). My two draft losses were both with the Dimir Deck.

Some personal highlights:

-   Getting three deck checks on day two !?!

-   Most over-the-top decision I had to make this weekend: What card to play after drawing Angelic Skirmisher with a hand consisting of Aurelia´s Fury, Assemble the Legion and Gideon with a balanced board and life total  :o

-   Honorable mention win out of a tight spot: Racing the much better Boros Deck in Round 15 with my Court Street Denizen and two Knight Watch in a row.

-   Bad play of the weekend: Playing Aerial Maneuver on my sole attacking 3/2 Halberdier before my opponent declared his block with his flashed in Shambleshark  :-X
(Side note: Aerial Maneuver was my pet card that weekend but Mathias forbid me to play it Maindeck, so I had to sideboard it in every time on day one  :D I was so happy with the occurring game state that I immediately slammed the Maneuver after my opponent flashed in his creature...)

-   Most memorable play of the weekend: Last Round of the GP. Total Match score 12-3, while 4 losses will drop us out of the Top 8. Team match score 1-1. Game score 1-1. On the draw. Mulligan to 6 with a weak Boros deck against a good Simic built. My two teammates are sitting left and right to me playing the game together with me. Opponent on 14 life. Five-Alarm Fire (one counter) in play. Play a 1/1 dork before the attack phase. Attacking with four 2/2 creatures into a 2/3 and a 5/5 creature (tapped out opponent). Playing Massive Raid for 5 damage to the head before trading the creatures 0-2 and dealing another 4 damage to him with the two unblocked attackers. Finally finish him off with the now fully loaded Five-Alarm Fire for exactly 14 damage in that turn to win the total match for my team and finishing GP Utrecht in the Top 8!  

Unfortunately we just missed Top 4 which received not only another 1500 bucks but also the flight to PT San Diego.

I usually play blue based decks for my whole magic life but after this weekend and 12-2 with Boros I have now a new weapon of choice. See you in Hanau on April, 20th to fight out the next Highlander! Prepare to get smashed and burned!
@ Peeler: I am finally enlightened by the god of war!  

Btw: Crazy Planeswalker points. I verified how many Planeswalker points the Top 8 should gain me which will be about 380 points. Cumulated with my current season points this will be about 380 points in total  :D, so I will not be allowed to play the WMCQ which will be on the same day as the HLGP as the participating threshold is 500 points. However, I wouldn´t played WMCQ anyway. I just wondered about the weird system.

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Vazdru

for the books: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gputr13/standfin

Quote from: MMD on 18-03-2013, 07:48:33 PM

I can just say that Team Limited is a blast to play, especially with fellow teammates.

how true !

Blasty, Fips and me had a poor pool and were a bit disappointed therefor at the beginning of the tournament - as a matter of fact we started w/o any big ambitions

Blasty built Orzhov, Fips took Boros and i tried to build a nice deck with the rest of the cards and came to 16-lands-pure-aggro-Simic-deck with a mass of 1- and 2-drops, bloodrush-combat-tricks and lots of evolve-guys, curve ended with 3 4-drops - a deck w/o any single bomb

deck turned out to better as it looked at first sight ...team and personal record were 5-1 each till round 6

memorable moments:

in round 4 we played Vincent Lemoine / Geoffrey Siron / Joeffrey Patriarca

While Blasty lost to Siron (Pro Tour Champion London), Fips beaten Partiarca. I faced Vincent Lemoine (Semi-Finalist Pro Tour Paris) piloting Orzhov...although his deck looked broken and he was the better player by far my deck made what it's built for a kicked ass with an army of little green and blue guys ... his high class removal was irrelevant as he had to kill each of my little guys which turned out too much as i've just drawn more buisness in the long run

in round 6 we played Koska / Brozek / Brozek and had an 3:0 after a few minutes in this round

round 7 turned out to be the turning point - Fips lost his match and i've beaten Boros in an epic match, Blasty leading 1:0 vs. Gruul player - 10 to 1 lp, opponent has a 2/2 beater, one card in hand and thats all, Blasty plays black Primordial taking a critter out of opp's gy ... opponent: end of turn -> Gruul Charm to get back creatures he owns, draws one card, attack with both guys - Dan block once and the other 2/2 critter double stiked with bloodrushed wrecking ogre  ::) ???

we dropped out loosing round 8 which was my fault as i blundered in g2 of the deciding match - team record 5-3, personal record 6-2 at the end of day 1

anyway as it was much fun to play team sealed we decided to take part at another one on Sunday, we reached 4-1 and 3rd place to a forgiving end of a great magic weekend
Far below the earth

MMD

Quote from: Vazdru on 19-03-2013, 12:26:47 AM
in round 4 we played Vincent Lemoine / Geoffrey Siron / Joeffrey Patriarca

While Blasty lost to Siron (Pro Tour Champion London)...

Interesting. One of my teammates also played Siron and even got a coverage for that match. Just google for "Geoffrey Siron World Team Final 2004"  8)

ChristophO

You need 500 Points to attend WMCQ in Germany collected during the last year (= last three seasons). Since you also played GP Bochum MMD you are free to take part in the WMCQ  ;D

MMD

Quote from: ChristophO on 20-03-2013, 02:03:10 PM

You need 500 Points to attend WMCQ in Germany collected during the last year (= last three seasons). Since you also played GP Bochum MMD you are free to take part in the WMCQ  ;D

...but my heroic 0-3 drop on GP Bochum was just another 64 points. I reviewed my points and there is not much more than that with a total of 489 points this year (HL Dortmund gets me 1 point per month, the same as winning the HLGP next month  :D)

Vazdru

Marcel Kachapow aka marchhare - a former HLL player and leader of our ladder (http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=121.msg9689#new) actually competes in T8 modern GP Prague

I'm pretty sure his former HL companions cross fingers like me  :)
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gppra14/welcome
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

Now on camera playing semis.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

close one

when Vjeran mulliganed to 6 in the final game I thought marchhare would ship this home...
congratz to runner-up Marcel anyway for a great performance this weekend
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gppra14/welcome
Far below the earth

Vazdru

congratz to Juha / Nastaboi for place 30 out of 1579 at GP Paris!
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gppar14/standfin

Christian Hauck + Fabian Moyschewitz had money finishes too...
nice performance!
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

Thanks, though I was not happy with the result as I was so close to top 8 and lost to horrendous mana flood two times in a row. The list and a mini report, in case someone is interested.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

Nice one ... HL mates from Mannheim among them the reigning HL GP champion Christian Hauck made Top 4 Draft at GP Barcelona !!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpbar14/stand13
Far below the earth