Main Menu

Naya Ramp

Started by Lightstorm, 23-11-2012, 02:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightstorm

I've been struggling around with this so I decided to ask your help with this.

Deck is built for "fetchless" format that's being tested in Finland right now. I tested UGR ramp (not optimal.deck list: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hl-ugr-ramp/) in last test tournament and went 2-1-1 with it. Against WW 1-2, WW 1-1-1 (opponent played Sharazad), Zoo 2-0, RDW 2-0.

I really loved UGR but I felt this deck type could be even better. So let the test begin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gameplan is to play defensive creatures and ramp along with them to bigger threats. I've included quite a many lifegain cards here since aggro seemed to be strong (in numbers too) in last tournament. Feel free to comment, I'm sure there are some cards that doesn't fit there enought well and cards that I'm missing.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ger-hl-naya-ramp/

Land (35)
1x Ancient Tomb
1x Brushland
1x Cavern of Souls
1x Clifftop Retreat
1x Copperline Gorge
1x Gavony Township
1x Kessig Wolf Run
1x Khalni Garden
1x Kor Haven
1x Raging Ravine
1x Razorverge Thicket
1x Reflecting Pool
1x Rootbound Crag
10x Snow-Covered Forest
2x Snow-Covered Mountain
5x Snow-Covered Plains
1x Stirring Wildwood
1x Sunpetal Grove
1x Temple Garden
1x Treetop Village
1x Vesuva

Creature (33)
1x Acidic Slime
1x Armada Wurm
1x Avenger of Zendikar
1x Baneslayer Angel
1x Bloodbraid Elf
1x Brion Stoutarm
1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1x Eternal Witness
1x Flametongue Kavu
1x Flickerwisp (possibly going to take this out)
1x Huntmaster of the Fells  Flip
1x Inferno Titan
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1x Kitchen Finks
1x Knight of the Reliquary
1x Obstinate Baloth
1x Oracle of Mul Daya
1x Overgrown Battlement
1x Phyrexian Metamorph
1x Primeval Titan
1x Qasali Pridemage
1x Restoration Angel
1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Solemn Simulacrum
1x Stoneforge Mystic
1x Sun Titan
1x Thragtusk
1x Vine Trellis
1x Wall of Blossoms
1x Wall of Omens
1x Wall of Roots
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Yavimaya Elder

Planeswalker (7)
1x Ajani Vengeant
1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1x Garruk Relentless  Flip
1x Garruk Wildspeaker
1x Garruk, Primal Hunter
1x Gideon Jura
1x Karn Liberated

Artifact (3)
1x Batterskull
1x Coalition Relic
1x Sensei's Divining Top

Enchantment (2)
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Sylvan Library

Sorcery (16)
1x Bonfire of the Damned
1x Cultivate
1x Entreat the Angels
1x Explore
1x Farseek
1x Firespout
1x Green Sun's Zenith
1x Harmonize
1x Into the North
1x Kodama's Reach
1x Natural Order
1x Nature's Lore
1x Primal Command
1x Rampant Growth
1x Regrowth
1x Search for Tomorrow

Instant (4)
1x Eladamri's Call
1x Path to Exile
1x Swords to Plowshares
1x Worldly Tutor

MMD

I also tried "Big Naya" last year but discontinued to make it work. The problem is that you loose against every deck when you do not ask enough questions in time. Big Naya is simply too harmless in the first turns and the opponents just need a couple of answers to win.

At first I would propose to reduce CC (or better: curve out your deck) as I think you play too many 6-7 mana spells and too few cc2 ramp spells. I would better focus on a build which can reliably (mana and spell availablility) cast a 4CC spell in turn 3 and two spells (or one big spell) from turn 4 on. So I would play around 13x cc2 ramp spells (cutting the cc3 ramp spells) and the same amount of cc4 threats (cutting all expensive spells but 3x cc6 + 1x cc7). The rest is metagame tuning.

I donĀ“t know if it is necessary to completely give up the cc1 slot, even without fetchlands. Even if you want to disregard elf ramp, there are still a lot of cc1 staples left (e.g. Lightning Bolt)

Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Tiggupiru

I haven't had any recent experience playing ramp decks, although I probably should, tehy seem sweet atm. So, take everything with grain of salt, I have no solid experience of this deck.

Cards I would cut:

1x Avenger of Zendikar - I love casting this guy, but the problem is the casting part. I think we can have more powerful things with our seven mana
1x Flickerwisp (possibly going to take this out) - I agree. Take this out. More of an aggro card.
1x Garruk, Primal Hunter - I don't like him at all. Five mana is too much and if you want the best effect (usually even the win-more "draw six cards"), he dies as a result.

Cards I think might be underperformers:

1x Brion Stoutarm - Never has been good enough in any of my decks. I think we have better options, but it still looks pretty good on paper.
1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker  - Looks too cute. Probably isn't the worst, since you have some sweet targets, but if you were to play another good guy, you don't encounter awkward situations where this is your only guy.
1x Oracle of Mul Daya - I think she needs ye olde Ravnica's bounce lands to perform well. I could be wrong, but seems rather mediocre.
1x Vesuva - Is there a specific reason for this?

Cards I would add:

Mizzium Mortars - Solid kill spell or a flame wave. I like both halves.
Three Visits - I am unsure if you have too much ramp already, but this is better than any of your other two mana ramp-spells, so this should be in. You probably missed this P3K gem :)
Arc Slogger - I don't understand the lack of love this card receives. Untapping with it is sick.
Phyrexian Metamorph - I think he might be staple for any archetype excluding the most aggressive ones.
Fauna Shaman - Still pretty good. Turn those manawalls to bombs later in the game.
Krosan Verge

You may also want to consider Wildfires. Probably needs less of manawalls to run these, but they can be pretty outstanding. 4 damage is lot right now.

All in all, I think white doesn't offer to much for this archetype (remember, I have not actually tested anything). Green and red seem to have the cards you want to ramp into and you can add another color freely. Be it blue or black, I cannot say, but if you play a deck designed to go long in this format, not playing blue seems pretty ballsy :)