Main Menu

Dortmund 06.10.2012

Started by haju, 06-10-2012, 07:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haju

At today's Highlander tournament in Dortmund we were 9 people. As far as I can remember there were:

•   UB Control (1st place)
•   Mono R "Control" (2nd place)
•   5c Goodstuff (3rd place)
•   4c Goodstuff (4th place)
•   UWb Control
•   4c Goodstuff
•   Pattern Rector
•   Cephalid Breakfast
•   ???

Report:

Round 1 – Bye
1-0-0

Round 2 – 4c Goodstuff (UWbr?)
The first two games were very short because in the first game I was screwed and in the second game my opponent was screwed. The Third game was more interesting, but I was able to attack my opponent's mana base and he wasn't able to recover from that. Unluckily this match was decided by the screw.

2-0-0

Round 3 – Mono R "Control"
It looks like a normal Mono R to me, but my opponent insists on calling it control ;). The first game ended shortly after a Price of Progress dealing 8 damage. The second game was very close, as I can get a little air with Spellskite and a Wall of Root, but in the end I've to activate a City of Brass to often (I didn't draw a fifth land). All in all the second game was very close thanks to Scavenging Ooze. But one turn before I could attack for lethal damage he finishes me off with a Spark Elemental.

2-1-0

Round 4 – ???
He won the first game thanks to Living Death after I killed all of his creatures. I got back a Stoneforge Mystic, Snapcaster Mage, Aven Mindcensor and Tarmogoyf while he gets cards like Shriekmaw, Bone Shredder, Avalan Riders, Mulldrifter,.. I think everybody can do the math. In the second game I overwhelmed my opponent but I can't remember how this game ran in detail. Because my opponent had no chances to get any price he gave up the match. Thanks for that again ;).

3-1-0

All in all this tournament was good. The price support was VERY good (Plateau, Scavenging Ooze, Vindicate, Sylvan Library) and the participants were very kind. I hope there will be more Highlander players next time.

Doks

I went 2-2 playing Esper Control. Not too good, but I probably made a mistake here and there (although not one that directly costed me a game or match).

Round 1 vs U/B control (tournament winner that also won last time)

G1 I'm not fast enough to bring him down at least decently low so I die to his massive control mirror bombs: Crucible + Wasteland and several Planeswalkers. It's a bad matchup because he plays a hardcore control deck while I have to make suboptimal decisions like playing creatures and tap out (instead of leaving countermana open) because I would lose to him 100% in the later game.    

In G2 I can't kill him fast enough so we have to draw in the extra turns.

0-1

Round 2 vs. Pattern Rector

G1 he has T3 Natural Order thanks to his mana elf that puts Protean Hulk into play. I bounce the hulk, kill a Land and following mana creatures while I beat him to death.

G2 he goes for the alternative beatdown plan but I can barely gain control after a resolved Ancestral Vision and stabilize at 3 life points. Personal Tutor into Entreat the Angels puts me into a favourable position, but he floods the board with 1 power dorks of which one gets through to bring me down to 2. I then die to a topdecked Perilous Myr.

G3 I am screwed after I find 2 lands in the top 13 cards including a cantrip. Vindicate destroying one of the two seals the game.

0-2

Round 3 vs Cephalid Breakfast

Long story short: G1 he has the combo but I have the disruption + pressure. G2 he has the protection but no the combo so I kill him with Augur of Bolas + another 2 or 3 power creature. My opponent drew pretty bad.

1-2

Round 4 Bye

Unfortunately, we were only 9 people which causes someone to have a buy. That's me in Round 4. So I watch U/B  control beating mono red 2-0 and winning the whole tournament.

2-2

Pretty good atmosphere although we were so few people and I did not really good. However, nice trading in the end and having a very good day. Can't wait for next date.