Main Menu

Dortmund 08.09.2012

Started by MMD, 09-09-2012, 11:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMD

Short report. T3 lists will follow

12 14 players

1st UB Control (with heavy artifact ramp and counters)
2nd Mono R Goblins
3rd 4C Scapeshift

It seems that there is less good stuff in the last months. This time I saw:

2 RDW
1 Goblins
1 UB Ramp Control
1 Scapeshift
1 BUG Aggro
1 Cephalid Breakfast
1 Naya
1 GWRu Goodstuff
1 5C Goodstuff
1 UWbg AggroControl(l?)
1 Reanimator
1 Boros
1 ?

I piloted 4c Scapeshift again, but in a modified, more Scapeshift concentrated version (decklist below).

Report:

which 1st round – RDW aka the coinflip matchup
I had discard for Blood Moon and small dorks/removal to buy enough time for Scapeshift in both games. In the second game he had Molten Rain and Pillage but no pressure.
1-0

2nd round - Naya
4th turn Inferno Titan on my side was enough in the first and one attack with a 10/1 inkmoth nexus in the second.
2-0

3rd round – Goblins
He started in the first game which is difficult enough but had also Wasteland to steal a turn which was enough as my Pernicious Deed was slowed down. In the second game I had Inquisition for Blood Moon but he kept Goblin Ruinblaster which came into play just before I could Scapeshift for 21. Three turns later I still had not value or land so I had to Scapeshift for 18 for his board but he killed me next turn with a Ball Lightning. I usually value this matchup better than the RDW one as I can use my mass removal spells with much more value here but hey, no matchup is an autowin.
2-1

4th round – BUG Aggro
It was time for revenge (see last report)
I burned all of his card advantage guys and scapeshifted a couple of turns later after knowing his hand in game 1 and 3 with loosing against Wasteland+Loam in the 2nd game.  If you have the right set up of burn/discard-counter/ramp the matchup CAN be a walk in the park.
3-1

5th round – UB Control
UB is usually already difficult because they have counter and discard which both hurts. His version was very different to the ones I know as he had a very small removal suite and ALOT more counters as I expected. I saw Dissipate, Forbid, Syncopate, Spell Pierce, Countersquall in addition to the standard ones. It seems he dodged all creature strategies today...

Game 1 – Thanks for tapping out with me having 8 mana in play...
Game 2 – after fishing about 7-8! counterspells out of his hand (mostly with Volrath´s Stronghold) I was killed from a man land with having a tutor for Scapeshift and sorcery speed removal on my hand and him out of countermagic.
Game 3 – Three turns is not enough for either deck
3-1-1

My decklist:

I put a small burn package back in the deck and dropped some bigger spells for card draw as I had the feeling that some of the bigger spells were not always game winning while Scapeshift would have been good game immediately. There are a lot of cards going in an out for testing purposes but this is what I played yesterday:

4C Turbo Scapeshift

1 Arid Mesa
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Breeding Pool
1 Flooded Strand
1 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Snow Covered Forest
1 Snow Covered Island
4 Snow Covered Mountain
2 Snow Covered Swamp
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island
1 Underground Sea
1 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Volcanic Island
1 Volrath´s Stronghold
1 Wasteland
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

1 Dimir House Guard
1 Eternal Witness
1 Farhaven Elf
1 Grave Titan
1 Inferno Titan
1 Overgrown Battlement
1 Primeval Titan
1 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Sylvan Ranger
1 Thragtusk
1 Trinket Mage
1 Vine Trellis
1 Viridian Emissary
1 Wood Elves
1 Yavimaya Dryad

1 Arc Trail
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Burst Lightning
1 Clutch of the Undercity
1 Cultivate
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Duress
1 Edge of Autumn
1 Explore
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Fact of Fiction
1 Farseek
1 Fire/Ice
1 Firespout
1 Foresee
1 Green Sun´s Zenith
1 Grim Tutor
1 Hunting Wilds
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Into the North
1 Intuition
1 Kodama`s Reach
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Liliana Vess
1 Lim-Duls Vault
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Natural Order
1 Nature`s Lore
1 Negate
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Primal Command
1 Rampant Growth
1 Ranger´s Path
1 Rolling Earthquake
1 Scapeshift
1 Search for Tomorrow
1 Sensei`s Divining Top
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Slagstorm
1 Sylvan Library
1 Thoughtseize
1 Three Visits
1 Timetwister
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Yawgmoth`s Will

Other decklists will follow.
Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

Tabris

haju

If I remember correctly we were 14 players.

Also, the following decks were played:

• 1 5C GoodStuff (played by me)
  • 1 UWbg AggroControll
  • 1 Boros

Report:

Round 1 – Boros
I won the first game with Bribery on Baneslayer Angel. In the second game he had too much to handle. And surprisingly there was no time to finish the third match.
0-0-1

Round 2 – 4C GoodStuff
Two very good (at least I think so) and very interesting games of magic. The first one was really close. In the end a Parallax Wave in combination with Edric, Spymaster of Trest won the game allowing me to draw five cards. The second game was ended in the extra turns.
1-0-1

Round 3 – UB Control
I don't know what hit me but it hit me hard. In both games I wasn't able to put a food on the ground. My draw was mediocre but I don't want to blame it ;) all in all I had no chance.
1-1-1

Round 4 – Reanimator
I lost the first game quite quick, but the second game was won with Bribery on Iona, Shield of Emeria. I lost the last game because of one very stupid misplay, but this is how it works.
1-2-1

Round 5 – RDW
I was prepared for an aggressive meta, so this was winnable. In the end I had enough lifegain to survive the early rounds and strike back. In the second game I was able to gain more 20 life.
2-2-1

All in all it has been a very nice day. The atmosphere (at least between the Highlander Players) was very nice. I really liked it. The room was bright, not stuffy and the price support is not that bad. I hope I'll be able to attend next time again.

Decklist:
1 City of Brass
1 Flooded Strand
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Breeding Pool
1 Bayou
1 Wasteland
1 Scrubland
1 Windswept Heath
1 Marsh Flats
1 Underground Sea
1 Taiga
1 Badlands
1 Island
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Arid Mesa
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Savannah
1 Academy Ruins
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Tundra
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Karakas
1 Forest
1 Tropical Island
1 Plateau
1 Maze of Ith
1 Yavimaya Hollow
1 Polluted Delta
1 Volcanic Island
1 Scalding Tarn

1 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Phantasmal Image
1 Wall of Roots
1 Fire // Ice
1 Intuition
1 Spike Weaver
1 Mana Drain
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Vindicate
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Life from the Loam
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Parallax Wave
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Arbor Elf
1 Batterskull
1 Beast Within
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Lingering Souls
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Necromancy
1 Shriekmaw
1 Eternal Witness
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Dismember
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Path to Exile
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Spellskite
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Tainted Pact
1 Dark Confidant
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Lightning Helix
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Bribery
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Restoration Angel
1 Trinket Mage
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Ajani Vengeant
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sylvan Library
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Brainstorm
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
1 Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Venser, Shaper Savant

SirGalahad

You remember correctly, there were 14 players.

Like in the last months, i played Angry Hermit/Cephalid Breakfast and finished 5th.

Round 1 5c Good Stuf (i think)

My opponent kept slow hands without much disruption, i had all the things i needed in discards, combo-parts and counterspells.

Round 2 UB Control

The first game we played, my opponent played a Grindstone on turn 3, which surprised me. But after he admitted to have asked a judge before the tournament i played on. He won the game with a painter next round. After this game, i nevertheless called a judge, who confirmed that the grindstone is still banned. So the game was canceled and we started a new game one - because of my late call this was the right decision i think. So game 1 i had to fight through a wall of counterspells and removal, but he did not have any graveyard-hate or discard in his deck, so i still had chances. But after the third planeswalker (Tezzeret, Liliana, Jace) resolved, i had to concede. Game 2 i had combo plus Pact of Negation in turn 4. Game 3 he stripped the cephalid from my hand with Vendilion Clique when i was ready to go of and in the following 6 turns till the Clique finished me off, all i drew was lands.

Round 3 Mono-R

Game 1 he kept two lands and a Blood Moon and never drew the third land. For his Seal of Fire i hade bounce and could go off smoothly. Game 2 i had two counterspells to his two burnspells for Hermit Druid.

Round 4 4c Good Stuff

Here i just remember game 3, in which he tapped out for Elspeth to fasten his clock, with snapcaster for StP in hand. I drew the fourth mana source and happily won the match.

Round 5 Mono-R

Game one he was debating whether to use Seal of Fire for my Fyndhorn Elves in turn 1, which he finally did. I never drew another land to the three in my opener and wasn't able to win fast enough. Game 2 i saw a hand of lands, Warren Instigator, Kiki-Jiki and Siege-Gang Commander with a discard spell. I stripped the instigator and felt pretty save for turn 4 combo with Force in hand. But on his turn 3 he drew Magus of the Moon which he played through a Cavern of Souls for the win.

Again it was a very nice tournament, although it could still be some more players participating. This time i didn't like the price support so much, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully we can get to 20 players next time with all the small reports written here. A link to the tournament in the tournament section on the front page would certainly help, too.  ;)