Main Menu

[Avr] Spoiler

Started by LasH, 09-04-2012, 12:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LasH

Temporal Mastery gonna break the format? I think this card is the best card printed for highlander since years. Personal Tutor finally gets an insane target. Miracle cards in general perfectly fit the highlander theme and sensei's divining top gonna get better which each miracle card printed.

Kassow-Rossing

My first thought on the card was also that this card would be insane in Highlander.

I don't know if the card is actually going to break the format but it's going to be Jace TMS good in my opinion. What do you guys think?

DarkLight

My first thought was "Wow this is really impressive", but now after a few hours and some discussions later I think "It's ok"

It is only really strong if you draw it in the first 5 Rounds as the first card in your turn, later it is just a cheaper Time Warp, I don't think that any random deck that dont played one of the Walk-Effects before would play this now, only Staxxx maybe because they can handle the hardcast too.
Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.

Tiggupiru

Probably all of the miracle cards are good in HL. By far the biggest drawback in them is the fact that they are absolutely horrible when you have them on your opening seven. Red one is superbly good in burn, good(ish) in decks that play more than two colors and probably not worth it in four-five colored decks. Mainly because you need to have red mana on play when you draw it (fetchland does not suffice), so you need to break those before turn and be stuck with the land you get afterwards. Pairing any of these with blue makes them slightly more playable because of Brainstorm and Jace (although blue tends to draw more cards so this could be problematic if drawn from any draw spell). Time Walk as an effect is powerful, but early in the game it's most likely pretty weak due to not having enough mana to durdle with. As an early Explore this is okay, but the mechanic makes it completely random, so chances are that you're unable to take full advantage of it with mulligans and what else. I expect this to pop up frequently when the set is young, but it will eventually see less and less of play.

Cloudshift and Restoration Angel makes me feel a little bit more optimistic about the blink-deck. It still needs help (and probably a lot of it), but this set might provide more stuff as we see more spoiled cards.

Soulbound mechanic seems pretty fun. I like that they are nigh useless on their own, but provide decent upside when you have multiple guys out. Might be too weak to affect constructed, but Silverblade Paladin might be playable and there are still more things to come. I would like to see this mechanic on a Noble Hierarchish card.

Demonic Taskmaster seems fairly weak. Drawback is severe and while it's fun card to have as your only creature, the upside just isn't there. I'd say unplayable. Same goes with Demonlord of Ashmouth, although Taskmaster actually might have a chance to see play in some deck.

Griselbrand is a sweet, sweet reanimator target. Good against aggro and control. One of the better targets, if not the best, in the deck actually. To be fair, Jin-Gitaxias is probably better early on, but later in the game he is your demon.

Sigarda, Host of Herons is a though creature to deal with. Unfortunately for her, most decks don't need to. Five mana is hugely less important now that Pod is gone, so I don't really see a future for this.

Mythrandir

Brainstorm FTW.

Miracle seems incredibly powerful. Everyone is talking about the timewarp. But how about the 5 damage for R?

That seems powerful, very powerful.

DarkLight

Next reason to flame about Stoneforge Mystic :(

Moonsilver Spear (4)
Artifact - Equipment    Rare
Equipped creature has first strike.
Whenever equipped creature attacks,
put a 4/4 white Angel token
with flying onto the battlefield.
Equip (4)

Will be really cool in White Weenie think so

LasH

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 09-04-2012, 08:44:58 PM
By far the biggest drawback in them is the fact that they are absolutely horrible when you have them on your opening seven.

Spoil Mulligan solves this problem ;)

The equipment is to expensive to equip to be used for stoneforge. The Angel is to weak and to late to affect the bord in a wheenie. Futhermore it also affect yourself..

Tiggupiru

Quote from: LasH on 10-04-2012, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: Tiggupiru on 09-04-2012, 08:44:58 PM
By far the biggest drawback in them is the fact that they are absolutely horrible when you have them on your opening seven.

Spoil Mulligan solves this problem ;)

Hence my comment about these being very good in HL. Update in the FAQ actually made these even better as you can indeed sac a fetch after revealing, but before casting the miracle. You reveal it as you draw it, then it triggers and you get to respond. Shuffling the deck does not matter as you've drawn it already, so these are pretty good. Thunderous Wrath is head and shoulders above the rest of these, as Banishing Stroke doesn't always have a target and the Time Walk is probably a dud.

QuoteName:    Killing Wave
Cost:     {X}{B}
Type:     Sorcery
Rules Text:     For each creature, its controller sacrifices it unless he or she pays X life.

This is worse Divine Reckoning, but I am not going to completely write it off just because the effect is unique and some random deck might just be able to utilize it. Pretty sure that won't happen though.

QuoteName:    Druids' Repository
Cost:     1{G}{G}
Type:     Enchantment
Rules Text:     Whenever a creature you control attacks, put a charge counter on Druids' Repository.
Remove a charge counter from Druids' Repository : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

This is like a worse anthem or worse earthcraft. Either way, it's not shouldn't see play in any deck. The gain is too minimal to justify wasting a card. Would have loved to see this text on a 3/2 guy.

Quote from: WitH-FuLL-Force on 10-04-2012, 07:24:42 AM
Next reason to flame about Stoneforge Mystic :(

Moonsilver Spear (4)
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has first strike.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, put a 4/4 white Angel token with flying onto the battlefield.
Equip (4)

Are you trolling? I'll still bite. Moonsilver Spear is horrible outside of limited. Eight mana and no p/t boost means this is truly unplayable, the angel doesn't even attack until your next turn. If this was the card to get with Stoneforge (instead of Sword/Batterskull nonsense), SFM would be more than a fair card and nobody would cry for it's banning.

The anthem-angel is just way too random. The last ability stops Birthing Pod (!) and some of the cards in Pattern-Rector, but in the end you just have a bad P/T ratio, a measly +1/+1 for your other dorks and an ability that most likely does nothing. If you can make use of the p/t boost and have all the better anthems in your deck already, then this is fine. The rest 99.9999% of the decks will play something else.

DarkLight

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 10-04-2012, 12:15:59 PM
The anthem-angel is just way too random. The last ability stops Birthing Pod (!) and some of the cards in Pattern-Rector, but in the end you just have a bad P/T ratio, a measly +1/+1 for your other dorks and an ability that most likely does nothing. If you can make use of the p/t boost and have all the better anthems in your deck already, then this is fine. The rest 99.9999% of the decks will play something else.

It stops Fetchlands?!

Tiggupiru

Quote from: WitH-FuLL-Force on 10-04-2012, 12:43:00 PM
Quote from: Tiggupiru on 10-04-2012, 12:15:59 PM

It stops Fetchlands?!

Sure, about a turn or two after everyone has gotten rid of theirs. It's possible to screw someone with this, but that requires them to topdeck their fetches after this hits play and even then they need to be otherwise lacking mana for it to even matter. If Pod were still legal, this would have some potential and even then it would have required pretty specific deck.

Kristian

The new Vexing Devil seems quite nice for most aggro
There can be only one!

Tiggupiru

QuoteName:    Tandem Lookout
Cost:     2{U}
Type:     Creature - Human Scout
Pow/Tgh:     2/1
Rules Text:     Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Tandem Lookout is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has "Whenever this creature deals damage to an opponent, draw a card."

Most likely isn't good enough, but interesting take on the ophidian nonetheless. I really like the fact that it can theoretically draw you a card on the turn it comes into play. Drawing two cards a turn is also very powerful, so if you can provide removal for it and soulbounded guy to punch through, he might not be the worst. The lack of word 'combat' makes this all the more interesting. In short, nice guy to help get your creative juices going, but ultimately I think it's not going to cut it. I really wish he will succeed as this type of card is never broken.

QuoteName:    Arcane Melee
Cost:     4{U}
Rules Text:     Instant and sorcery spells cost {2} less to cast.

Symmetrical effect for five mana? Granted, rare opponents can make an effective use of this ability, but it still costs five mana. If you want blue five mana symmetrical enchantments for your combo deck then might I suggest Dream Halls? It does make a perfect match for Yawgmoth's Will so it's not complete garbage, but it is pretty close. If this makes a good two card combo where the other card is actually a playable card, then all bets are off and this might even be good.

QuoteName:    Vexing Devil
Cost:     R
Type:     Creature - Devil
Pow/Tgh:     4/3
Rules Text:     When Vexing Devil enters the battlefield, any opponent may have it deal 4 damage to him or her. If a player does, sacrifice Vexing Devil.

Oh, look. Furnace Scamp got reprinted. If you play this early, this is four damage barring a removal spell. While that is good, it's very mediocre after couple of turns and nigh blank after that. Some people will play this in their burn decks and are convinced it's the awesomest ever when it does what it's supposed to do once in every four games. In short, red cards that let opponent choose their poison, aren't pretty much ever good.

QuoteName:    ~Descendants' Path (name is unconfirmed as I am writing this)
Cost:     2{G}
Rules Text:     At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card that shares a creature type with a creature you control, you can cast this card without paying its mana cost. Otherwise, put it at the bottom of your library.

Turn two Nest Invader, turn three this, turn four HAUMPF! Add Mutavault for much of lolz. Green tribal doesn't usually mean other than elfs, but if there is a good elf deck that also has a high elf count (Elf decks playing many elves is actually way more rare than you would probably think) then sure, why not? Try it out. Sad fact is that this does not actually save you practically any mana in the elf deck so you are trying to make this work as a Phyrexian Arena and I am pretty sure there are better alternatives.

That being said, changeling interaction does intrigue me and the effect is powerful enough for the mana cost, so I can see this working somewhere. Be it a tier 3 deck or just some horrible pile is yet to be determined. Sensei's Top, Sylvan Library, Worldly/Sylvan Tutor and lenient mana cost all make this better. We'll see.

Tiggupiru

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130009&d=1334305866

Oh yes! Not good enough in HL most of the time, but I really wanted to see this to happen. Cool lands are always exciting and this is an actual ability. Slow control might benefit this enough, but that is very specific as they can't have more than two colors as there are enough better colorless lands if you don't abuse your graveyard a lot. Helps decks that need help right now and I am 90% sure that the best colors for reanimator currently are UBr.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129971&d=1334203275

Card is beautiful. That's too bad since I don't think it has enough power. Planeswalkers are hard to evaluate, so this could still sneak a few top8 slots, but don't really know what deck will play this. +1 ability is weak, but it does protect her, so there is that. Second ability is good enough when you are winning a lot, or losing a lot. Not exactly what I hope to see in cards I play. Drawing three is fine for a card that sticks around to take a hit afterwards, though and that is kinda sweet spot of not losing too much and this providing enough value to matter. Emblem is obviously very sick, but it takes a long time to get access to and you still need a card to kickstart the process.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130001

Boy, this is an intersting one. It's horrible on the first two turns, obviously. After that it can get good, but there is no consistency and that is clearly the problem. Killing a random guy and dealing 3-4 damage in the process is not usually what you want to do, although I can see situation where this is good. MonoRed will probably be the only place for this, it's the only deck that will always benefit from the fireball to the face aspect and killing blockers can make this a miraculous topdeck when all other hope is lost. I see potential, but time will tell if it can claim those promises.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130000&d=1334289725

I like the fact they keep printing these. Not very powerful and very difficult to use, but in the right deck this can be insanely good. I have no idea what that deck looks like, but that is just bonus. Might never see play anywhere, but I am sure somebody can provide a home for him. Hopefully that deck can win enough matches to be recognized.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Dreamer on 15-04-2012, 04:41:12 PM
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130063&d=1334460153

C-c-c-combo?

...breaker.

Combo decks want to control when they are going to Wheel or Twister. It's cheap, but I haven't been able to find a suitable home for the huge amount of draw 7's floating around our format already and there are many which are better than this. Even if you could set it up, you still are unable to play any non-instants in your hand the turn you miracle this. Wheel of Fortune will allow you to play lands, cast Ponders and stuff to set up a good draws for the draw spell and cast rituals that actually benefit you for the rest of the turn. This is by far the weakest of the miracle cards yet and I am nearly 100% sure that this will not be played in any reasonable constructed deck ever.

In other news, still waiting for the Miracle Recall to get spoiled.