Main Menu

[LADDER TOURNAMENT 2011] Reports

Started by Vazdru, 21-01-2012, 10:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Nastaboi 0 Grixis (one) - LasH 3 Staxx (eight)

b) firestarter 2 5C-Goodstuff (four) - peeler 3 RGu-Midrange (five)

c) Tabris 3 Pattern-Rector (three) - Vazdru 2 MBC (six)

d) Payron 3 Captain America (two) - pyyhttu 2 UB Reanimator (seven)

Semifinals:

LasH 3 Staxx (eight) - peeler 1 RGu-Midrange (five)
Payron 1 Captain America (two) - Tabris 3 Pattern-Rector (three)

Highlander:

LasH Staxx (eight) - Tabris Pattern-Rector (three)

clash of the titans - gl to the partipants:

1. Nastaboi - winner 2009 and 2010, finnish highlander champion 2011, hl council member
2. Payron - semifinalist 2009, multiple times HLL top 3
3. Tabris - Top 8 German HL Nationals, Top 8 GP, hl council member
4. firestarter - multiple HL GP Top 8, German HL champion 2011, hl council member
5. peeler - HL GP 8 finalist
6. Vazdru - HL council member
7. pyyhttu - German Open Champion 2010, hl council member
8. LasH - wild-card

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Tabris

I will record my games as usual. If someone else want to save some time writing the report I could join the other games (as observer) and do some comentary during the games. This would be nice for all people which are interested in the ladder tournament. So we could establish a little coverage here ;)

Vazdru

Quote from: Tabris on 22-01-2012, 03:50:11 PM
I will record my games as usual. If someone else want to save some time writing the report I could join the other games (as observer) and do some comentary during the games. This would be nice for all people which are interested in the ladder tournament. So we could establish a little coverage here ;)

i like  :) maybe in the games vs Fins it should be in English so the foreign community may follow
Far below the earth

Tabris

Vazdru

Quote from: Tabris on 29-01-2012, 08:44:53 PM
Finally the game between Lash and Nastaboi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVNjNG8hIg

just a few impressions/notes of mine:

Game1: Nastaboi was flooded in g1, crucial situation 5:38 - LasH plays Titan and represents the counter with UU, if Nastaboi plays Wasteland or Tectonic Edge and destroys Tolaria West, go in attack step and kills titan in 2nd mainphase with charm, LasH will have no possibility to counter that

Game2: imo Nastaboi made all the right decisions:
5 cards spoils-mulligan ... sad thing he doesn't find a single land and
mulligan to six because a single wasteland would have killed him while keeping a one-lander ... but mulligan to 6 always hurts  :(
although some good draws afterwards it is hard to recover, when he needed his sixth land he can't find it in time, Baneslayer equipped with Lightning Greaves is hard to handle for each grixis deck

Game3: god hand of LasH, Mana Drain closes the books quite early

Imo Nastaboi was quite unlucky in all three games

LasH (Staxx) 3 - Nastaboi (Grixis) 0
Far below the earth

Tabris

the first three matches between me and Vazdru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dar4jnhrIrM

There is a lot of thinking and brabbling by me (since its pattern-rector: "one does not simply play it") and in the next games I will say something
about my bluff in the 2nd game and the semi bluff in game 3.

Vazdru

Quote from: Tabris on 30-01-2012, 12:55:45 PM
the first three matches between me and Vazdru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dar4jnhrIrM

There is a lot of thinking and brabbling by me (since its pattern-rector: "one does not simply play it") and in the next games I will say something
about my bluff in the 2nd game and the semi bluff in game 3.

lol for game 2 – the others were good ones

G2:
Usually I ask my opponent to combo or show me at least the last card in his hand in such situations. ;) But why the hell I didn't so in game 2 ??? It wasn't a blunder or lack of concentration this time (happens from time to time, but not in this special situation) – so why?

I ask opponents to combo off, but I rarely ask friends of mine to do so.

If a friend says he would combo and I ask him to show me the last card, I would tell him: "I do not trust your words" ... hmm but it's only a game so what ???... a friend would understand why i have to ask and gives me a  ;) ?... so I wondered if I should ask Tabris to showcase his combo or not ... a long few moments... but decided he wouldn't bluff me that way in this situation so I trusted his words that he has won (although he was knowing he has already lost)  :-\

This were my thoughts in that moment - OK that's kind of childish and stupid - exactly that makes me sad and disappointed while remembering this moments, my own naivety and misestimation of that situation... So it wasn' t only the bluff but the fact I call him a brick which has given him the victory...  it cost me hours  :) (it was the last thing I thought about before I got asleep and the first when I woke up this morning) as it is my temper to think about such moments again and again.

In game 3 it crossed my mind that to confuse me could be part of his game-plan. OK, "trash talk" is part of the game but nevertheless I don't like it much. In an early stadium he made me believe he has already won...hoping I would say gg like in g2? Tabris calls it "Semi-Bluff" -anyhow. During the game it happened again twice. So what? He is a just a good player, using anything to achieve his aim to win.

So don't get me wrong, It's just a game and I still like Tabris, he hasn't done anything wrong, although I don't expect such behavior of friends of mine ...and I learned something about him ... so he paid at least a small price for his victory in g2 as I (and maybe some others too now  ;)) will give him a better fight in all the games which may follow in the future...especially game 4 and maybe game 5

Well played my friend  :)
cya
Far below the earth

Tiggupiru

I don't get that bluff. Did you knew Vazdru had Damnation or other board sweeper? Playing Karmic Guide to block the Marit Lage and reanimating the Ranger of Eos gives you combo for the next turn and protection from black flier to block the 20/20 guy. Bluff seems like really risky compared to just playing the Guide.

I would understand that play if you had Yosei (reasons for you not playing it are forever a mystery to me) in the deck. Witness, bringing back Pattern, sacrificing Witness to bluff for the win is decent plan in that situation. If Vazdru wouldn't Concede, you would just get Yosei and be safe against sorcery speed removal and would establish a lock for the next turn. Suicide-attack with the Titan, get couple of lands (Dryad Arbor and something to play around edicts). Next turn, on upkeep Phyrexian Tower the Yosei, then put it on top with Stronghold, lock you out. Even if Vazdru would attack, you would still have enough lands to lock him out anyway despite him randomly killing your Arbor because of Karmic Guide.

Nastaboi

Quote from: Vazdru on 29-01-2012, 10:06:56 PM
Game1: Nastaboi was flooded in g1, crucial situation 5:38 - LasH plays Titan and represents the counter with UU, if Nastaboi plays Wasteland or Tectonic Edge and destroys Tolaria West, go in attack step and kills titan in 2nd mainphase with charm, LasH will have no possibility to counter that

I admit I missed that play, but it was not that I absolutely needed Charm to resolve. My deck is mono-removal and I had a couple of turns to draw some of it. Were that Charm something like Control Magic or anything I positively wanted to resolve, I would propably have though about playing around a counter.

Quotealthough some good draws afterwards it is hard to recover, when he needed his sixth land he can't find it in time, Baneslayer equipped with Lightning Greaves is hard to handle for each grixis deck

As you probably noticed, my hand was filled with different targeted removal and control magic effects. My plan was indeed to Pact for Grudge, but I never had an option to fetch that another Island off my deck. The Grudge was obviously below Island, ah irony. I never crossed my mind to just Pact for a land, lay down a Sphinx and pray they have nothing, but as the things turned out that plan would have failed even more severely.

Really should have just rethought my deck choise when I saw the pairing, but just had no other deck I fancy right now.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tabris

Exactly Tiggu...also pattern on titan would have worked. I speak about the karmic guide plan (lay him down and block the token all day long) but at the end I decided to go for the other play.

Vazdru

[deleted by Vazdru] ... lessons learned  ;D
Far below the earth

Tiggupiru

I didn't notice Vazdru was at 3. Mainly because I didn't watch the vid, just skimmed to the relevant part because I can't speak German. My bad.

In that case, Yosei would have won on the spot and Archon would have given you a foolproof answer to Marit Lage, so unless Vazdru was holding some sick cards, he would have been locked out with his own Necro, so the bluff makes much more sense. If he falls for it, you straight up win, and even if he doesn't, you get hulk that finds a sacoutlet and Archon, nuke the token and proceed to win the next turn by playing the Karmic Guide. Dryad Arbor (that the titan goes to get), sacoutlet and E. Witness also represent lethal damage through a removal or a blocker. And the Necro locks him out even if he would somehow get out of harm's way.

Sorry if I am overthinking this out loud, but that situation was very interesting.

Tabris

agreed. interesting indeed. there is also a situation where I pondering about going into combo where he plays an edict. This deck is absolute nuts (all the possibilities etc.)

btw. this time I was able to get a co-commentator for the ladder match between payron and pyyhttu. unfortunately we didnt get all games but I think its enjoyable to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTC0zUCgSJA

pyyhttu

Quote from: Tabrisunfortunately we didnt get all games but I think its enjoyable to watch.

Not that enjoyable, as my playing speed was on a level you'd expect only from someone using Cockatrice for the first time. Should've familiarized myself with it more. Sorry. And now that I have, I'm keen on continuing using it. In online league e.g. Software feels very usable compared to other clients I've occasionally tried.

And yes, at the end of the video you can see me promptly disconnecting. Accidentally though. I was running Cockatrice inside a Virtualboxed WinXP as client, and in there there I had the host key mapped to bring the whole darn session down. Of course I hit that key and obv. cockatrice didn't like that... Payron and I agreed to replay the match from the beginning later on. Seems also that a player needs to be a registered Cockatrice user in order to re-enter and continue a disconnected game...

I would have liked to hear what you guys talked about Demonic Consultation tech as it sounded like it raised some eyebrows. Though you didn't appreciate my Funeral/Piracy Charms for sure :P.

Payron

Pyyhttu (UB reanimator) - Payron (Captain America is back)

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTC0zUCgSJA

1:0

Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTC0zUCgSJA (we replayed the game after I told Pyyhttu to register at the page what I should had done before, because he was new to the program)

1:0

Game 3: I didn t report the game right away, because I was tierd so i don t realy remember this game. Pyyhttu can you help me out?

I know that he reanimated Gaea's Revenge, which I could hold under control with my Sword of feast and famine and drew more creatures to attack with sword and equipe it to the next one after combat .. but I was on low life like 4 and he had a 1/1 flyer but in the end Kitchen finks and aven mindcensor covered me up

1:1

Game 4: I rember haveing some counters and riped a fetchland with Aven Mindcensor, after that started the beatdown with Mirran crusader and after that i copyed him with the Phantasm Image so the pressure was pretty high. Pyyhttu could handel the Aven Mindcensor with a charm which gave him +2/-1 but I guess he didn t hat all parts together early enought to race me.

1:2

Game 5: was an pretty intense game with some counter war in the early stages. Intresting point was when he could reanimate Sheoldred, Whispering One, which i tryed to bounce with man o war but he had FoW, he reanimated his Grave titan in his upkeep, I played phantasm Image on his titan and path on Sheoldred, Whispering One in the end he had to much answers and I didn t had enought time to lay down my Paralax waves + revilarke which could had turned the game around

2:2

Gane 6: I had pretty good curve with first round Ancestral Visions, second round Stoneforge mystic (the sword met Cabale Therapy), third round Remand on Fanatic Research, fourth round daze for his research + batterskull from stoneforge followed up by Magus of the moon and elspeth with FoW back up wich was just to much.

2:3