Main Menu

[Dark Ascension] spoiler

Started by Mythrandir, 12-01-2012, 09:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

2WB Sorin 2.0

+1: Put a 1/1 black Vampire creature token with lifelink onto the battlefield.
-2: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +1/+0."
-6: Destroy up to 3 target creatures and/or other planeswalkers. Return each card put into a graveyard this way to the battlefield under your control.

loaylaty: 3

Well, this seems... er, playable! :P

PurlQg

I like it. -6 ability is really strong.
But the second ability is meh. :/
Vaaren har det let hver gang den indtager vores lille klode!

delta_strike

I think its a strong card and i think this block will bring some good cards to the token decks out there.

Tabris

sorins second ability shouldnt be underestimated. Imagine 3 token on your side and give them +1 stacked with lifelink that is good against control and aggro.

MarcMagic

hes playable in most decks imo. aggressive decks may not profit as much as goodstuff/control but 4 mana for a +1 power emblem as worst case scenario isn't THAT bad at all. and split mana cost are easier to pay than double single colored in most 3-5c decks

Tiggupiru

Sorin is like a weaker Elspeth, Knight-Errant, but Elspeth is pretty nuts, so a little bit more fair version of the original is very much fine. The second ability is perfectly relevant and the ultimate can be a game-ender. Immediate addon to any goodstuff that can cast this.

Gravecrawler is a fine aggrodude in black aggro. That might even became a real deck if it gets more toys like these. Recent sets have brought us a few good one black drops (Vampire Lacerator, Diregraf Ghoul and even something like Pulse Tracker if you plan to go all out aggressive). I like the possibilities he offers very much.

Faithless Looting is going to be good in Reanimator if it decides to splash red instead of green. The deck can function easily with just two colors (UB) and now that it has no Survival or Loam, the green isn't all that necessary. I think we now have a good reason to go red.

Strangleroot Geist is an okay aggrodude, but I doubt it makes much of an impact. Not that I would be surprised to see it in play, but that is a bit hard to cast unless you run two-three colors and play heavily green. I am more interested of what this mechanic can provide us (an inverted Kitchen Finks would be really sweet to see, for example).

Flipping any creatures has proven to be really hard in a format where land screws and floods are rarely a problem, but Huntmaster of the Fells might still be playable. Four mana 4/4 split into two guys is not awesome, but this actually gives you a spell if you skip your turn and play nothing. It gives another spell if your opponent then proceeds to flip it back (another commonly happening scenario). Straight up RG beats does not want this and aggressive Naya lists will also just ignore him completely. If you plan to aggro via midrangeish route, then you should probably consider this. Might just be that it's too slow and easily removed to actually see play, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Mythrandir

LasH

Grafdigger's Cage
Artifact    Rare
Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries.
Players can't cast cards in graveyards or libraries.

Nice trinket mage target.

So this card cripples oath/bribery/reanimator/green zenith/flashback?

*edit* and birthing pod.

This card is interesting. Any1 can explain the exactly ruling? For example what happens if u play a bribery and this card is on the battlefield? Is the creature exiled? Does it stay in the bibo?

Tiggupiru

Quote from: LasH on 23-01-2012, 11:33:12 AM
Grafdigger's Cage
Artifact    Rare
Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries.
Players can't cast cards in graveyards or libraries.

Nice trinket mage target.

So this card cripples oath/bribery/reanimator/green zenith/flashback?

*edit* and birthing pod.

This has the same problem as any symmetrical hate card: You can't play those good spells yourself if you have this in play. As a simple GY-hate this is pretty weak. Stick with the ones that cycle so you don't have dead draws.

I'm not saying this is unplayable, but all those cards listed aren't good enough reason for me to play this. Aggro has like one or two cards this shuts off, so it's pretty risky to keep this in the opener against an unknown opponent. Aggro decks themselves are better off playing a threat rather than trying to gain virtual CA by random. Especially weak sauce in the aggro mirror.

Quote from: LasH on 23-01-2012, 11:33:12 AMThis card is interesting. Any1 can explain the exactly ruling? For example what happens if u play a bribery and this card is on the battlefield? Is the creature exiled? Does it stay in the bibo?

It stays in the library. Bribery resolves normally and you get a look at their deck, but the creature can't enter the battlefield. Same goes for Zenith, Pod and Oath. You resolve all the other effects normally (like Oath dumping cards into the 'yard), but the actual creature coming into play is not happening. The oath-revealed creature is left in top of their library, all the other cards mentioned shuffle the deck.

Tiggupiru

Now that the whole set is spoiled, I might as well point out the few cards, that I didn't previously mention, I am exited about. Pretty mediocre set after all, so just a quickie. Seems sweet in limited, though.

Gather the Townsfolk - Two guys for two mana is a sweet deal if you plan to cast Overrun a couple turns later. Fateful Hour isn't unreasonable. May very well swing otherwise lost cause into a real game. Just don't try to abuse the Faithful Hour with this, it's just a random bonus.

Lingering Souls - Decent token maker in BW. Not like I can rattle about this one much. Everyone can see what the card does and is capable of instantly :)

Midnight Guard - The RW Splinter Twin deck is coming together nicely. Seriously though, I see no reason to play white over blue or even black as the Demonic and other tutors are just way better than couple of combopieces. Triple red of Kiki-Jiki also makes splashing a bit too problematic. And this card doesn't really combo with Kiki-Jiki.

Séance - I guess this can enable some weird tricks, but I have no idea what kind of deck would play this over, say, Recurring Nightmare. The correct answer isn't "not black", btw.

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - Aggressive decks. Not the most sickest of two drops, but it can mess with your opponents mulligan and doesn't hurt too much your stuff. I expect this to pop up here and there, but probably isn't gonna be something universal.

Thraben Doomsayer - Tap to make a 1/1 guy isn't enough for your typical aggrodeck, but I still think we can have a good token deck with the tools this set (and especially Innistrad) brought to the table.

BLUE

Mystic Retrieval - High Tide doesn't need this, I don't think. Third Relearn is pretty excessive when you have Snapacaster running around as well. Four mana Regrowth even with a flashback also seems like it's just too little, too late. All that being said, it's not too horrible as a pure flashback spell. Selfmill twenty or so cards and this becomes kinda decent. Most likely scenario: Will not see play.

Secrets of the Dead - Retrace combos well with this, but that is a very narrow use. Still, drawing a card as a trigger is potentially extremely powerful, so it's more likely to see play than like two thirds of the set.

Thought Scour - Multiple cards that do the same thing is always welcome when it comes to Highlander. Mental Note isn't exactly a powerhouse, but if it becomes good, the so does this.

Tower Geist - I wish this was a 1/4 for three mana. Not as good as Mulldrifter (by quite a lot) and not as good as Sea Gate Oracle (by fair amount). But it also holds some potential to enter the market if a perfect deck for it comes around, so I guess it's worth mentioning.

BLACK

Black Cat - This is some sweet technology with Recurring Nightmare, Venser, Shaper Savant and Megrim. EDIT: I probably shouldn't have given away my secrets, but the cat's out of the bag now. Sorry, couldn't resist with the awful pun.

Geralf's Messenger - Kitchen Finks? My god, what happened to you? You look awful. What comes to the card itself, I think he is pretty good. Provided you can produce the black mana symbols by turn four, of course. Black aggro, you could very well happen someday.

Gravecrawler - Well, ask and you shall receive. Almost have enough of good turn one plays for my project, so might as well try and see what happens.

Highborn Ghoul - Alright. Evasive two drop is also very well needed. In you go.

Increasing Ambition - I find Diabolic Tutor to be too slow even in a deck that wants to overload on tutors. Five mana is just too much, no matter how awesome the flashback is. This does however tutor for a combo alone, so I guess I shouldn't pass on judgment juuuuust yet, but it's unlikely as hell.

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - Don't know what the favored Tooth & Nail kill is nowdays, but Mike 0.1 will deal infinite damage with Triskelion. Something to keep in mind, I guess. Without the combo this is obviously unplayable.

Tragic Slip - Kill a mana guy early or anything after the combat damage or opposing removal. Might be playable? Have no clue, but one mana removal as an instant is really good and this even ignores the color. Probably not a control card, but aggro might find this decent.

RED

Forge Devil - I really, really don't think so, but if you want the best value you can get with your turn one drop against Birds of Paradise, he is your man. The fact that it kills itself is just too much of a drawback. Whereas the one point of damage to you is irrelevant. Strange card all around.

Hellrider - Well, Hero of Oxid Ridge is a nice one, so having access to another one is nice. This is also way better against planeswalkers.

Markov Blademaster - Slow, but quite problematic if you can clear path for the first attack. After that the ball should roll without help until it or the opponent dies. Probably too easy to kill or stop with other creatures, but might have a home somewhere. Don't think it's in straight up burn, though.

Shattered Perception - I guess this digs pretty good. All these flashback cards makes me wonder about some bizarre deck. As a real downside, most of the "good cards" in the deck seems to have too little to do with the battlefield. But one can brew, right?

Torch Fiend - Hearth Kami got better. Artifacts are all around in the metagame right now, so this should be pretty good inclusion in red aggro.

GREEN

Crushing Vines - Speaking of artifacts, I was wondering does this have enough targets to be playable? Doesn't really shine against red decks, but even they have targets (Kargan Dragonlord, Shrine of Burning Rage...etc.).

Ghoultree - I will get yelled at if I don't at the very minimum mention this one. I don't think it's good, but weirder things have happened and 10/10 on turn five or something is well above curve. I have no ideas for him, nor is he interesting to me, so I'll just pretend that it doesn't exist until someone proves me wrong.

Tracker's Instincts - I am pretty sure this would just be better if it said "noncreature". I see no real potential, we have better ways to get creatures from the top of our deck.

Vorapede - Straightforward and dumb. At least it hits hard and where it hurts. Trample is also very relevant at making this closer to playable. Unfortunately, the triple green in the mana cost is doing exactly the opposite very effectively.

Wolfbitten Captive // Krallenhorde Killer - One mana DFC's are actually able to flip without any extra effort, so they might just end up seeing play. The unflipped side of Wolfbitten Captive is even a card! However, flipping this doesn't do a whole lot itself. You need to spend mana to actually make this shine, so it's not like a awesome card by any means. Playable sure, but consider what deck you are putting this in. Playable or not, I really like the "late game special": In your upkeep, in response to the Captive Flipping, give it a +2/+2. Then flip it and give it +4/+4 and smash face. Take eight from my one drop. Yeah!

Young Wolf - RAAAAAWWWWRRR!

MULTICOLOR

Havengul Lich - Probably has like million combos and if enough of those combos involve actual cards, this might become a powerhouse. It's not a bad card even now as it steals from any graveyard and has a reasonable body. Fun card for sure and I would assume that we will see him in some tournament worthy decks. I will try, no matter what you say.

ARTIFACT

Chalice of Life // Chalice of Death - Laugh or not, but the flipped side is very powerful. This needs some help to flip and in a deck with much lifegain, there has to be a way to abuse the gained life (Necropotence, anyone?), so the deck that might consider this is very specific. Again, don't think this has a shot, but in any deck that wants to try this, the Chalices fill couple of key roles: gain life to abuse first, abuse the opponents face later.

Elbrus, the Binding Blade // Withengar Unbound - Gentlemen, start you Stoneforges. Just kidding, trade these to those silly Elder Commander Lander players.

LAND

Havengul Fengraf - Decent. Especially if you can rig the roulette with something like Scavenging Ooze. Despite the decent powerlevel, colorless lands are very weak in HL nowdays, unless they have powerful abilities. And Mishra's Factory or Volrath's Stronghold this is not. I would advise not to play this now, just because the damage it does to your mana is probably more than the occasional accidental wins because of drawing this over a forest. Can't really fault anyone for trying this, though.

Vault of the Archangel - If this is untapped, your small dudes are unblockable. It's much more effective as a deterrent than anything else. It's not bad, as something like Grave Titan becomes pretty hilariously stupid with this, but just like with the Havengul Fengraf, the real question is: Can the manabase in your deck take one for the team?

Well, there were a bit more cards I wanted to talk about than it looked at first glance. This set is bit like Innistrad: Many cards that are really good, if you can find them a good home, but very few cards that go into goodstuffs. All in all, I am pretty happy how the set turned out to be, despite minor disappointment at first. Hopefully atleast some of those silly ideas bear fruit.