Main Menu

Oath Creatures nowadays

Started by Tabris, 23-09-2011, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: MarcMagic on 23-01-2012, 03:39:56 PM
It's about the casting cost and not the effect by itself why you should/may play Propaganda and Firespout. CC3 is so important because you want to survive the early turns to reach midgame and with CC4 spells like barter moat abyss and friends you won't have enough cheap game stretchers imo. Another issue why I always recommend enough <cc4 removal is Geddock Teek. He's just nuts against Staxx.

That is of course a very valid point. I thank you for the answer :) My version plays Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolt, Mana Drain, Liliana of the Veil, Vindicate and Maelstrom Pulse of the removal with mana cost < 3 besides Thoughtseize, Inquisition and few other stuff that also may prevent me from being attacked early on. Do you think I should try one or both (Ghostly)?

MarcMagic

Well I don't think Propaganda and friends are needed atm because 1.) they don't protect your PW and 2.) except very fast Aggrodecks most decks can easily handle them either by removal or by just paying colorless mana. TBH i don't think Oath is the best Strategy at all and playing good creatures is the real deal. The best way to counter Creature based decks are.. creatures : ). At leats nowadays.

Kassow-Rossing

I know what the best is :) If I wanted to play the best I would not play Staxx :)

I wish to play Staxx and I wish to play Staxx with Oath of Druids with either a package of 5-8 creatures in Titan-size or 3 creatures in Ulamog-size.

From there my deck is build :)

Doks

Hi everybody.

I'm sorry for necroing this thread, but OP's question got relevant again (for me at least :P).

What's the current consenus on Oath creatures these days? Since Loam got unbanned, I'm shifting back from Staxx oriented builds to more reactive control oriented ones (something like Tabris').

The problem I currently have is to find the balance between the following three criteria. The oath creature should be

a) hardcastable (I found CC 6/7 to be the very end)
b) threatening (the impact the creature has must be big enough to pressure the opponent so he has to react immediately)
c) handable in case the enemy uses it against me (Bribery, Phantasmal Image, Metamoprh, random reanimation etc.)

When I run a package of 4-7 moderate creatures (e. g. Titans, Baneslayer, Wurmcoil Engine, Pelakka Wurm etc.) I don't feel like I am rewarded for setting up Oath and could rather play a generic Ux control list (Then oath is just a nice anti aggro gimmick to 'cheat' the creatures into play).

When I run 2-3 big & mean fatties (Sundering Titan, Empyrial Archangel or really uncastable ones like Ezrakul or Augur) I don't have anything I could hardcast to throw on the board in case of emergency and I feel betrayed when the enemy just copies it for a mere 1U with Image.

I hope you get my question and can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Tabris

Well it seems the criteria for "my opponent dont get so much value by copying my creature" you exclude a lot of creatures. In my last Oath build I used
the demonic tutor demon, Primeval titan, pelakka wurm and the Fact or Fiction Sphinx. I think it depends on your meta. As you can see all three creatures are against certain deck types. The titan is a universal one (searching maze, tabernacle, man lands, volraths).

Doks

Okay, maybe I didn't express myself well.

What I tried to say was that I'd rather have my opponent copy / steal / control a Titan, Wurm or Engine than let's say an Emrakul or Empyrial Archangel just because I can handle these much much easier. There is not much that feels worse than losing to your own creatures.

But at the same time, I want the few creatures that I play to end the game reliably and from my experience these 'moderate' ones fail at it too often for my taste.

I guess it's just a natural dilemma choice Oath players have to solve with their own preferences. I hope it is understandable now.

pyyhttu

Looking at your requirements, you can cover 2 of 3 at any time, but you can't have it all.

If you don't know what to deploy, stick with only Emrakul and Progenitus, then tweak your list to support this selection. That is,

a) find the necessary cheats to get the critters into play (tutors into Show and Tell & Oath)
b) protect the combo from anything else (counters)

Doks

Okay, thanks for your input you two.

After several games against a wide variety of decks I found the approach to run moderate creatures to minize the value for my opponent not to be worth it.

As an oath player I already take certain risks like a pretty light threat density, so if I finally manage to get my creatures onto the table (be it hardcast or via Oath) they should be big and either hard to handle (shroud / hexproof) or have an immediate impact on the game (strong etb effects).

Now I am searching for alternative options vs. certain deck types.

What do you think about good old Sundering Titan against control and 5c decks? It's not uncommon to hit 3+ enemy lands while only losing 0-1 myself. He synergizes witz LftL + Wasteland and optional hate like B2B.

If you run white, Empyrial Archangel and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite should be devastating against aggro, correct?

And will Elderscale Wurm (M13) replace Pelakka Wurm?