M12 spoilers

Started by Dreamer, 03-07-2011, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamer

White:

Angelic Destiny   2WW
Enchantment - Aura   Mythic Rare

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +4/+4, has flying and first strike, and is an Angel in addition to its other types.
When enchanted creature dies, return Angelic Destiny to its owner's hand.

Big Rancor. Probably too expensive, but hey, it's Rancor. Boo for Mythicness, as always.

Gideon's Avenger   1WW
Creature - Human Soldier    Rare
Whenever a creature an opponent controls becomes tapped, put a +1/+1 counter on Gideon's Avenger.
2/2

Standard-ish critter. Nothing terribly amazing, but might cut it. Then again, I've never tried to build White Weenie.

Gideon's Lawkeeper   W
=Goldmeadow Harrier. Again, dunno if WW needs or wants any.

Grand Abolisher      WW
Creature - Human Cleric    Rare
During your turn, your opponents can't cast spells or activate abilities of artifacts, creatures or enchantments.
2/2

Heelllooo, hatebear! I could see running this in Rector. It's a critter, it's cheap, it says nono to nasty countermagic and combo interruption shenanigans. UW control will probably like it, too. Resolving Planeswalkers and other finishers without counterbackup sounds nice.

Blue:

Frost Breath      2U
Instant    Common
Tap up to two target creatures. They don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

UG might like it. At least it's better than sleep. Even then, probably not.

Jace's Archivist   1UU
Creature - Vedalken Wizard    Rare
{U}, {T}: Each player discards his or her hand, then draws cards equal to the greatest number of cards a player discarded this way.

Reanimator might like this, I guess.

Jace, Memory Adept   3UU
Planeswalker - Jace    Mythic Rare
+1: Draw a card. Target player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
0: Target player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
-7: Any number of target players each draw twenty cards.
Loyalty: 4

Initial verdict: Meh. Probably the final one, as well.

Mind Unbound      4UU
Enchantment    Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a lore counter on Mind Unbound, then draw a card for each lore counter on Mind Unbound.

Slow card advantage machine is slow.

Visions of Beyond   U
Instant    Rare
Draw a card. If a graveyard has twenty or more cards in it, draw three cards instead.

The million-dollar question: Can this bugger be broken somehow? I kinda doubt it. But if there's a format it might be good in, it's ours.

Black:

Devouring Swarm   1BB
Creature - Insect    Common
Flying
Sacrifice a creature: Devouring Swarm gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/1

Husk. Husk fly now. Ugh. Pattern should like it unless the extra B proves too annoying.

Red:

Chandra, the Firebrand   3R
Planeswalker - Chandra    Mythic Rare
+1: Chandra, the Firebrand deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
-2: When you cast you next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
-6: Chandra, the Firebrand deals 6 damage to each of up to six target creatures and/or players.
Loyalty: 3

Good planeswalker is good. That's all. Also, boo Mythic and a million dollar pricetag.

Chandra's Phoenix   1RR
Creature - Phoenix    Rare
Flying

Haste

Whenever an opponent is dealt damage by a red instant or sorcery spell you control or by a red planeswalker you control, return Chandra's Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

Nice toys? RDW wants more nice toys.

Goblin Fireslinger   R
Creature - Goblin Shaman    Common
{T}: Goblin Fireslinger deals 1 damage to target player.
1/1

Cheap. Playable in RDW?

Green:

Dungrove Elder   2G
Creature - Treefolk    Rare
Hexproof (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
Dungrove Elder's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Forests you control.
*/*

Seems decent-ish for GB rock or a random green ramp concoction.

Garruk, Primal Hunter   2GGG
Planeswalker - Garruk    Mythic Rare
+1: Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
-3: Draw cards equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
-6: Put a 6/6 green Wurm creature token onto the battlefield for each land you control.

GREEN CARD DRAW <3<3<3
Heavy G cost, but...
GREEN CARD DRAW <3<3<3
And tokens. All in all, looks nice if you can cast it. Boo Mythic.

Garruk's Horde   5GG
Creature - Beast    Rare
Trample
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may play the top card of your library if it's a creature card.
7/7

Too expensive, but can be NO-ed out if you're desperate to play it. Worse effect than Oracle of Mul Daya.

Hunter's Insight   2G
Instant    Uncommon
Choose target creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker this turn, draw that many cards.

Risky as hell. But at least it's green.

Primordial Hydra   XGG
Creature - Hydra    Mythic Rare
Primordial Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, double the number of +1/+1 counters on Primordial Hydra.
Primordial Hydra has trample as long as it has ten or more +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

Newest Lolscale Coatl. Boo Mythic.

Skinshifter      1G
Creature - Human Shaman    Rare
{G}: Choose one - Until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 4/4 Rhino and gains trample; or until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 2/2 Bird and gains flying; or until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 0/8 Plant. Activate this ability only once each turn.
1/1

Whatever you need, this guy does it. All around nice critter.

Artifacts & Lands:

Sundial of the Infinite   2
Artifact    Rare
1, {T}: End the turn. Activate this ability only during your turn.

My prize for the most interesting Magic card printed in the last couple of years. Time will tell if anything comes out of it.
Stax?

Buried Ruin
Land    Uncommon
{T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
2, {T}, Sacrifice Buried Ruin: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

I guess it's useful. Would rather use Academy Ruins, tho.

Mythrandir

QuoteJace, Memory Adept   3UU
Planeswalker - Jace    Mythic Rare
+1: Draw a card. Target player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
0: Target player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Loyalty: 4

Initial verdict: Meh. Probably the final one, as well.

Meh indeed! No reason to play with this. jace 1.0 and 2.0 are way better. Unless you're going for a mill deck.. and even then, meh

QuoteVisions of Beyond   U
Instant    Rare
Draw a card. If a graveyard has twenty or more cards in it, draw three cards instead.

The million-dollar question: Can this bugger be broken somehow? I kinda doubt it. But if there's a format it might be good in, it's ours.

Will definitely see some play, highlander broken? I'm guessing no, bue in a 60 card format where you can pack 4x of thse, probably....

QuoteRed:

Chandra, the Firebrand   3R
Planeswalker - Chandra    Mythic Rare
+1: Chandra, the Firebrand deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
-2: When you cast you next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
-6: Chandra, the Firebrand deals 6 damage to each of up to six target creatures and/or players.

Good planeswalker is good. That's all. Also, boo Mythic and a million dollar pricetag.

Quite good and the single R in her cost makes it playable in different decks.

QuoteChandra's Phoenix   1RR
Creature - Phoenix    Rare
Flying

Haste

Whenever an opponent is dealt damage by a red instant or sorcery spell you control or by a red planeswalker you control, return Chandra's Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

Nice toys? RDW wants more nice toys.

Cute and flavourful. Me like it. :)

Skinshifter      1G
Creature - Human Shaman    Rare
{G}: Choose one - Until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 4/4 Rhino and gains trample; or until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 2/2 Bird and gains flying; or until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 0/8 Plant. Activate this ability only once each turn.
1/1

Whatever you need, this guy does it. All around nice critter.

It's weird this came out so late in MTG history. It's very well designed!

QuoteSundial of the Infinite   2
Artifact    Rare
1, {T}: End the turn. Activate this ability only during your turn.

My prize for the most interesting Magic card printed in the last couple of years. Time will tell if anything comes out of it.
Stax?

Yeap! There will be people definitely going to try and do something with this, but i find it hard.

Is the full spoiler out, yet? I remember seeing other interesting cards in the partial spoiler. I'l post them here later...

Tiggupiru

- White -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Alabaster Mage
Cost:     1{W}
Type:     Creature-Human Wizard
Pow/Tgh:     2/1
Rules Text:     {1}{W}: Target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn.

Really needed to have lifelink naturally. Probably still too weak, but at least someone could consider him then.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Angelic Destiny
Cost:     2{W}{W}
Type:     Enchantment - Aura
Rules Text:     Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +4/+4, has flying and first strike, and is an Angel in addition to its other types.
When enchanted creature dies, return Angelic Destiny to its owner's hand.

This is no Rancor, and to be fair, Rancor isn't very good in HL either. Maybe in like some superaggressive deck, but even then it's not going to be very exiting. Really bad if opponent has a removal in response, or when you draw it while you have nothing going on.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Gideon's Avenger
Cost:     1WW
Type:     Creature - Human Soldier
Pow/Tgh:     2/2
Rules Text:     Whenever a Creature an Opponent controls becomes tapped, put a +1/+1 counter on Gideon's Avenger.

Interesting desing. Gets better if they have more guys, but that is when this guy just gets chumped or you just get overrun by them. In short, it's good when it's not really needed.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Gideon's Lawkeeper
Cost:     W
Type:     Creature - Human Soldier
Pow/Tgh:     1/1
Rules Text:     {W}, {T}: Tap target creature.

Meh. Not very good. White has gotten some good removal of late and splashing is way too easy, so even WW has that covered.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Grand Abolisher
Cost:     {W}{W}
Type:     Creature - Human Cleric
Rules Text:     During your turn, your opponents can't cast spells or activate abilities of artifacts, creatures or enchantments.

In a format which is populated by creatures and/or plenty of removal, 2/2 is not going to matter. This means you want this for it's ability, which does nothing against a number of decks and the rest will probably have good number of answers.

I am not saying it's bad, I mean it's kinda cool with Aluren and protects combo well, but is good only randomly.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Personal Sanctuary
Cost:     2{W}
Type:     Enchantment
Rules Text:     During your turn, prevent all damage that would be dealt to you.

I am quite sure there are several comboes for this, but I am unsure if there is one that makes this playable. I mean, this doesn't really do anything on it's own. Still a card that could become good.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Stonehorn Dignitary
Cost:     3{W}
Type:     Creature - Rhino Soldier
Pow/Tgh:     1/4
Rules Text:     When Stonehorn Dignitary enters the battlefield, target opponent skips his or her next combat phase.

(Momentary) Blink and you'll miss this. Four toughness is very nice and means that this could be a decent lock with a Venser or something. It's not a hard lock, but I think this is excatly what the doctor ordered for Blink decks to get little more meat around their bones. I don't see them still being good enough to be serious contenders, but we are getting there.

- Blue -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Frost Breath
Cost:     2{U}
Type:     Instant
Rules Text:     Tap up to two target creatures. They don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

Blinding Beam was a sick limited card back in Mirrodin. One mana less and it's debut in tournament scene is still not happening.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Jace, Memory Adept
Cost:     3{U}{U}
Type:     Planeswalker - Jace
Pow/Tgh:     4
Rules Text:     +1: Draw a card. Target player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

Yeah, clearly horrible. At five mana, the plus ability really needs to protect Jace in order to make sense. Seeing that the second ability is completely useless (and really weak even in standard) and if you manage to draw three with him while opponent hasn't even got a scratch on your Memory Adept (even the name is so bad), I really think you don't need the ultimate to win from there.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Jace's Archivist
Cost:     1{U}{U}
Type:     Creature - Vedalken Wizard
Rules Text:     {U}, {T}: Each player discards his or her hand, then draws cards equal to the greatest number of cards a player discarded this way.

I really love quick Windfall in this format (mess with your mulligan, draw me some cards, thank you very much), but this isn't quick. I do however see some potential as Windfall was banned in one point of time, and banned cards on a stick are somewhat promising. Don't think I will be the one trying to break this, but hopefully someone pulls it off.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Lord of the Unreal
Cost:     {U}{U}
Type:     Creature - Human Wizard
Rules Text:     Illusion creatures you control get +1/+1 and have hexproof.

Let's see, playable Illusions include, and are limited to: Narcomoeba (lol), Riftwing Cloudskate, Palinchron and Meloku's tokens (and some Changelings from Lorwyn). So, this is going to need some help in the next... twenty or so sets before it can break into the HL-tournamnet scene.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Master Thief
Cost:     2{U}{U}
Type:     Creature - Human Rogue
Rules Text:     When Master Thief enters the battlefield, gain control of target artifact for as long as you control Master Thief.

Love the flavour, but I don't think this is good enough. I mean, it has potential while Stoneforge runs around and randomly mana screwing by stealing a signet is a nice bonus. Of course you can luck out and steal something big like Wurmcoil, but I still don't fancy a four mana 2/2 that is going to sit on your hand while you are getting the beats from random dorks.

I guess I am not very surprised to see someone playing this somewhere. At least as long as these Stoneforges keep popping up, but I am really surprised if I whould choose to play it.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Mind Unbound
Cost:     4{U}{U}
Rules Text:     At the beginning of your upkeep, put a lore counter on Mind Unbound, then draw a card for each lore counter on Mind Unbound.

There is another six mana enchantment that draws you more cards and much faster. Compare this to it and it's pretty apparent which is a better bargain.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Phantasmal Image
Cost:     1{U}
Type:     Creature - Illusion
Pow/Tgh:     0/0
Rules Text:     You may have Phantasmal Image enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's an Illusion in addition to its other types and it gains "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

Cloning has never been this cheap. I guess this will see some play in decks that have good targets (Mulldrifter, Reveillark, Titans, Wurmcoil... etc.). And it's not like opponents never play creatures that are worth cloning.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Sphinx of Uthuun
Cost:     5{U}{U}
Type:     Creature - Sphinx
Pow/Tgh:     5/6
Rules Text:     Flying
When Sphinx of Uthuun enters the battlefield, reveal the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

I think this and the Demonic Demon (Rune-Scarred or something) will see play in some deck(s). They are not good enough to be cast, nor big enough to be reanimated, but this powerful card draw (and tutor) on a stick is worth abusing in some way.

Idiots like me will find a day or two to waste trying to figure out where and how.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Visions of Beyond
Cost:     {U}
Rules Text:     Draw a card. If a graveyard has twenty or more cards in it, draw three cards instead.

This is a card I am excited about. I think all slow control deck wants to play one. One mana cyclers are not the worst and the upside of this is really, really good. Fetches, removal, counterspells, other card draw and you have sizeable graveyard in no time. Drawing three with one mana is really absurb as some might imagine, and they made the card not to be horrible if drawn early.

In most combo decks this is even better as their game plan usually involves sifting through most of their deck in process of finding the key spells.

Make no mistake, this is not a reason why you would play crappy cards that mill you or anything. Just cycle it if it's drawn too early and this should serve you well.

- Black -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Devouring Swarm
Cost:     1BB
Type:     Creature - Insect
Sacrifice a creature: Devouring Swarm gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Don't think Pattern wants this. Double black, one less toughness and bad sac-bonus weights more than evasion. I don't even think Pattern needs more than the three 3CC sac-outlet dorks.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Vengeful Pharaoh
Cost:     2{B}{B}{B}
Type:     Creature - Zombie
Pow/Tgh:     5/4
Rules Text:     Deathtouch
Whenever combat damage is dealt to your or a planeswalker you control, if Vengeful Pharaoh is in your graveyard, destroy target attacking creature, then put Vengeful Pharaoh on top of your library.

Even if you have some engine going, it's still not too good. Also the significant lack of "may" - words in that text box means that this is going to get real mad at Sea Gate Oracles pecking your life total all the while making you skip the next draw step.

Cute with Compulsion, but has not enough Oomph, me thinks. I probably still try this somewhere just to confirm that this is not worth the time or money. Really hope this proves me wrong, though. At least the stats are okay.

- Red -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Chandra, the Firebrand
Cost:     3{R}
Type:     Planeswalker - Chandra
Pow/Tgh:     3
Rules Text:     +1: Chandra, the Firebrand deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

The second ability is the only really relevant ability, but it really is worth the money. If you can make this survive with 2+ loyalty, the next turn you have the nice opportunity of playing really sick things, especially when paired with blue. Tooth and Nail you, Time Stretch, Draw some cards... just name your poison.

Convieniently enough, Chandra is the only Planeswalker with just a single colored mana in it's mana cost, so this really seems like it's made for these kinds of plays.

Bad news is that her first ability is really weak, but not irrelevant. It's mostly just used to add more loyalty. Last one is something I never intent to use as Twincasting for free is just so much better than pinging for few turns.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Chandra's Phoenix
Cost:     1RR
Type:     Creature - Phoenix

Haste

Three mana 2/2 is not something red decks want. Haste and evasion is nice and all, but with three mana, you really need to make some serious impact on the board if you plan on playing (mostly) red cards. Same thing goes for the recursion ability, the stats are just too weak for it to really matter.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Goblin Fireslinger
Cost:     {R}
Type:     Creature - Goblin Shaman
Rules Text:     {T}: Goblin Fireslinger deals 1 damage to target player.

Just way too weak.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Warstorm Surge
Cost:     5 {r}
Rules Text:     Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player.

I don't think two mana more for a Pandemonium that does not backfire is a good deal. Not like Pandemonium is a good card at the moment anyway. Still, I am kinda pleased to see this as these kind cards are always just one printing shy of being playable, or even really good. Not now, though. Just pick up one for possible future use.

- Green -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Arachnus Web
Cost:     2{G}
Type:     Enchantment - Aura
Rules Text:     Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.
At the beginning of the end step, if enchanted creature's power is 4 or greater, destroy Arachnus Web.

If splashing was not as easy as it is right now, I might give this a chance. Green removal that cannot be dismissed outright are always somewhat interesting, but you are better off splashing for better removal.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Dungrove Elder
Cost:     2G
Type:     Creature - Treefolk
Pow/Tgh:     */*
Rules Text:     Hexproof (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
Dungrove Elder's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Forests you control.

Just bad. Needs evasion for starters and still not very impressive. Ramp dekcs rather just play bigger dorks with the mana they are getting instead of trying to get cute.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Garruk, Primal Hunter
Cost:     2{G}{G}{G}
Type:     Planeswalker - Garruk
Pow/Tgh:     3
Rules Text:     +1: Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
-3: Draw cards equal to the greatest power among creatures you control.
-6: Put a 6/6 green Wurm creature token onto the battlefield for each land you control.

Despite this being perfectly okay and semi-powerful card, I am kinda disappointed. It's a card that really aims to create value every turn until it just wins with or without the ultimate. Second ability is also decent as you usually don't want to overload the board when you have decent board advantage. Drawing 3-5 cards is very good when the opponent has to sweep the board in couple of turns. Garruk doesn't even target, so even if they kill your Primeval Titan in response, you still get to draw some cards.

Solid, but somewhat boring.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Garruk's Horde
Cost:     5{G}{G}
Type:     Creature - Beast
Pow/Tgh:     7/7
Rules Text:     Trample
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may play the top card of your library if it's a creature card.

Bad and expensive. Kinda good when your opponent has no sweepers, but there are way better options that are also good when they have a DoJ or two.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Hunter's Insight
Cost:     2G
Rules Text:     Choose target creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker this turn, draw that many cards.

Win more or lose more. I rather play cards that are good also when you are losing. And are not a two for ones.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Jade Mage
Cost:     1{G}
Type:     Creature - Human Shaman
Rules Text:     {2}{G}: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.

I have a soft spot to any token generator. This even has decent stats, but not too powerful of an ability. I am going to try this, but I might be the only one that does not dismiss this immediately.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Primordial Hydra
Cost:     X{G}{G}
Type:     Creature - Hydra
Pow/Tgh:     0/0
Rules Text:     Primordial Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, double the number of +1/+1 counters on Primordial Hydra.
Primordial Hydra has trample as long as it has ten or more +1/+1 counters on it.

Scute Mob that costs more. At least it gets trample eventually. Four mana investment gives you a 4/4 attacker next turn, which is not terrible. Couple of turns more at it outright kills them. I guess this has a shot, might even turn out to be good.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Skinshifter
Cost:     1{G}
Type:     Creature - Human Shaman
Rules Text:     {G}: Choose one - Until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 4/4 Rhino and gains trample; or until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 2/2 Bird and gains flying; or until end of turn, Skinshifter becomes a 0/8 Plant. Activate this ability only once each turn.

I really hate that I need to spend mana every turn for this guy to do things. He is kinda like a two mana 4/4 Trample with a green mana upkeep which is not a good deal no matter how you put it. Despite this being able to hit two by the air in the lategame, I really don't think this is a card worth playing.

- Artifact -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Crumbling Colossus
Cost:     5
Type:     Artifact Creature - Golem
Pow/Tgh:     7/4
Rules Text:     Trample
When Crumbling Colossus attacks, sacrifice it at end of combat.

Sleeving this up in order to play some HL is a Colossal mistake. Unless it proxies something.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Druidic Satchel
Cost:     3
Type:     Artifact
Rules Text:     {2}, {T}: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. If it's a land card, put that card onto the battlefield under your control. If it's a noncreature, nonland card, you gain 2 life.

Hitting a creature is kinda bad, hitting a land is almost decent, and hitting anything else is just plain horrible.

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Sundial of the Infinite
Cost:     2
Type:     Artifact
Rules Text:     {1}, {T}: End the turn. Activate this ability only during your turn.

This needs a straight up combo that puts the opponent in a really problematic position to be playable. Combining this wiht Smokestack, Braids... etc. does nice things, but you would also have to skip the draw step, so it's not sicksicksick by any means.

- Land -

Quote from: MTGSalvationName:    Buried Ruin
Type:     Land
Rules Text:     {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
{2}, {T}, Sacrifice Buried Ruin: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

I can see no reason to play this. Academy Ruins does all of this better. Nonblue decks have trouble getting artifacts into the yard elegantly anyway, so this being colorless is not very relevant.