Main Menu

Stoneforge Mystic and JTMS are banned in Standard

Started by LasH, 20-06-2011, 05:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LasH

So today Wotc announced that Jace 2.0 and Stoneforge Mystic are banned from T2.

While nothing changed for jace 2.0, batterskull gave a nice boost to stoneforge. But is it broken in highlander, too?

I personally think that turn 2 stoneforge is the best drop in the current meta but i dont have enough experience yet (with batterskull) to judge over a ban right now.

What do you guys think about these cards in highlander recently?

Kristian

It depends on the situation. A turn 2 Demonic Tutor against a well known deck can be devastating. One could argue that the Stoneforge Mystic is more broken due to not being depending as much on the opponent's deck (and eventual knowledge about said deck) compared to the potential silver bullets the Demonic Tutor would give access to. My personal opinion is that Stoneforge Mystic isn't too broken (albeit very powerful) in the highlander format. I don't play it though because my current deck is of a more controlish nature.

EDIT: Stoneforge Mystic allows a surprsingly amount of versatility combined with card quality (and advantage), that is almost unprecedented save for Demonic Tutor. I think that the effectiveness/power of Stoneforge Mystic rivals even cards like Gifts Ungiven.
There can be only one!

Thibir

Quote from: Kristian on 20-06-2011, 06:40:18 PM
My personal opinion is that Stoneforge Mystic isn't too broken (albeit very powerful) in the highlander format.

+1

Sephiron

I would like to note that though mystic isn't broken it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be banned.
My opinion is that playing second turn mystic generates too much advantage and thus is banworthy. Let's compare mystic with jitte since it's already banned. Both cards come turn 2. Jitte requires a creature, but when you attack with it, it's is unfair against aggro decks if unremoved. While mystic is unfair against aggro decks (mystic->batterskull is harder to deal with and much more cost efficient) AND control decks, since it provides tempo and card advantage. And even if mystic is removed you still get to keep batterskull to play later.
So my point is: if jitte is banned because it provides too much advantage, why shouldn't mystic be banned, since it usually provides more advantage than jitte.

P.S. Food for thought: in legacy finding batterskull with mystic is often better play than finding jitte.

Nastaboi

People have started playing Sylvan Tutor just to get more T2 Stoneforges. I just added Stoneforge to my Aluren deck. Her addition makes every deck just better, and our format is becoming more and more centered around her.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

tonytahiti

sephirons argument is pretty valid. stoneforge is more powerful than jitte.
Winner - Pro HL Cup, Prague 2002
Winner - Highlander Regional Masters, Phuket 2006
Winner - Sunrise Trophy Run, Hawaii 2006
Winner - North Dakota HL Championships 2007
Winner - Tahiti "One And Only"-Cup #3, 2009
Winner - Gio di Gio Seria, Florenz, 2016
Winner - Jail or be Jailed, Berlin, 2017

Tabris

No it´s not. Please dont confuse powerful with overpowerd. Jitte is much stronger and you still need one removal for the card shes getting. Its like with any other strong card. You need your answer and you need the answer as quick as possible (Pernicious Deed, Treachery, Bribery, Titan, Oath etc.)In this case if your opponent is getting a Batterskull on turn 2 "just" kill the mystic and your opponent got a "dead" card until turn 5.

Sephiron

Quote from: Tabris on 21-06-2011, 01:18:07 PM
No it´s not. Please dont confuse powerful with overpowerd. Jitte is much stronger and you still need one removal for the card shes getting. Its like with any other strong card. You need your answer and you need the answer as quick as possible (Pernicious Deed, Treachery, Bribery, Titan, Oath etc.)In this case if your opponent is getting a Batterskull on turn 2 "just" kill the mystic and your opponent got a "dead" card until turn 5.

Sorry but I didn't quite get your argument. I mean both require fast removal. And in mystic's case you still have batterskull left, and if opponent killed batterskull (which could be hard with 3 mana bounce) you still have mystic which can cheat random swords or could be ounced/blinked. Plus while jitte changes any guy you have into threat, it's uselesss unless you have guys. While mytic is threat on it's own as well as changing any of your guys into threats (since you can fetch sword as well). So doesn't that actually make mystic better than jitte?

Kristian

Tutoring for Stoneforge Mystic is a factor that I hadn't considered. Still, there is a few in the format that can help you ensure a turn 2 mystic which is worldly tutor? (And potentially Summoner's Pact with crazy mana acceleration)
There can be only one!

LasH

Quote from: Nastaboi on 21-06-2011, 10:16:50 AM
People have started playing Sylvan Tutor just to get more T2 Stoneforges. I just added Stoneforge to my Aluren deck. Her addition makes every deck just better, and our format is becoming more and more centered around her.

This is absoluty what i think, too.

Nastaboi

So_not said some time ago that he most frequently gets Stoneforge with Demonic, followed by Gifts in second.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Maqi

Stoneforge Mystic is very powerful. I don't see her as banworthy however. She is especially good against decks that lack early spot removal, 4C-DarkBant-Control or UG for example.

Packing more cheap removal seems to be a wise choice these days anyways.

I remember a match from the last GP where GoblinPiledriver tried to equip his dudes with his Sword of Feast and Famine while I was holding Go for the Throat, Incinerate and Swords to Plowshares! ;) I "timewalked" him 3 turns in a row and won easily from there.

Accomadate your deck and you'll do fine!

W0lf

1.Ban Divining Top
2.Gief Sideboard
3.? ? ? ?
4.Profit

MarcMagic

Quote from: W0lf on 22-06-2011, 08:56:13 AM
1.Ban Divining Top
2.Gief Sideboard and reduce decksize to 60
3.? ? ? ?
4.Profit
fixed