Main Menu

[COMM] review

Started by Mythrandir, 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

Well, not a new edition per si, but still worth reviwing...

White:

Soul snare - Cute and if enchantress saw some play, this is an auto-include.

Blue:

Flutterstorm - very good, IMO. Too bad is restricted too instants and sorceries... :P Well see some play, IMO

Mind aglow - After reading "joining forces" better. ::) i think this was is still worth playing in some combo decks.

Trench gorger - Quite an interesting fatty, but i believe it to be highly susceptile to removal.

Black:

Sewer nemesis - The single B in it cost might make it worth it, since you still can choose even you.

Red:

Chaos warp - hmmm... a pseudo-removal at instant speed! and splashable. Would hate to kill a 2/2 and having to deal with a progenitus or a PW, though.  You can even play it on your own for the lulz.

Death by dragons - Epic in multpilayer. lol

Stranglehold - kills off fetches.. but at 4 CMC?!

Green:

Scavening ooze - One of the best cards in the set. Splashable, very nice body for its CMC. relevant abilities. Quite good, might even test in my 5cc

Multicolor

Animar, soul of elements - cute, but ackward cost..

Edric - with the ooze, the best card in the set. very, very playable.

Kaalia of the vast - sexy! makes me wanna build around it :P

Karador - quite expensive, but cute in mid games can be a power bomb, specially if survival was still around.

Ruhan - ackward cost, but still a 7/7

Lands

Homeward path - well, i really dont see the fuss about this one, yes it makes your progenitus not so vulnerable to bribery, but still one in 100. Not in anyway broken, IMO.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMSoul snare - Cute and if enchantress saw some play, this is an auto-include.

Clunky removal. Not even enchantress want this. Problematic because you need to leave mana up every turn, or it does nothing and you already spent a card and mana. Opponent also gets to decide if he is okay with the trade.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMFlutterstorm - very good, IMO. Too bad is restricted too instants and sorceries... :P Well see some play, IMO

Very bad, IMO. Poor man's Spell Pierce, and even Pierce is not an auto-include.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMMind aglow - After reading "joining forces" better. ::) i think this was is still worth playing in some combo decks.

I don't think Prosperity that is slightly better against counterspells is a card worth playing in any deck. Combo or not.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMTrench gorger - Quite an interesting fatty, but i believe it to be highly susceptile to removal.

Guys are bad, because they die to removal, right?

This is a really good target to cheat into play, as it can easily kill most opponents in one hit. And even if they kill it, you are drawing business for the rest of the game.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMSewer nemesis - The single B in it cost might make it worth it, since you still can choose even you.

Yeah, too bad he is just a mindless dork which is something that four mana can buy left and right. Don't think this is too much of a card even with synergies.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMChaos warp - hmmm... a pseudo-removal at instant speed! and splashable. Would hate to kill a 2/2 and having to deal with a progenitus or a PW, though.  You can even play it on your own for the lulz.

Playing this is like asking for trouble. Even if they hit something like Trinket Mage, you are giving them way too much value for a merely removal spell.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMStranglehold - kills off fetches.. but at 4 CMC?!

That is actually a powerful ability. But like you said, 4 mana is a lot. Good thing it's so hard to remove, although I haven't got a slightest idea what deck would ever consider this. Powerful abilities should always be noted, though.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMScavening ooze - One of the best cards in the set. Splashable, very nice body for its CMC. relevant abilities. Quite good, might even test in my 5cc

Probably the card of this set. Does not require tonload of synergies to be good, like all of the other cards in this set.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMEdric - with the ooze, the best card in the set. very, very playable.

The other card that can be put into decks without worrying about synergies and stuff.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMKaalia of the vast - sexy! makes me wanna build around it :P

Pics or it didn't happen!

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMKarador - quite expensive, but cute in mid games can be a power bomb, specially if survival was still around.

Too expensive and too slow to be a contender. Ability is obviously nice, but it's not enough here.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 18-06-2011, 04:14:55 PMRuhan - ackward cost, but still a 7/7

Sure. Could see play if the mana is not too much of a problem, and the deck wants to play beatdown.

Mythrandir

QuoteClunky removal. Not even enchantress want this. Problematic because you need to leave mana up every turn, or it does nothing and you already spent a card and mana. Opponent also gets to decide if he is okay with the trade.

Enchantress would play this, IMO. not as a substitute to STp or PTE of course, but as an adition, cheap enchantment, removes creatures, what's not to like?! There's just one problem, enchantress isn't very good in general...

Very bad, IMO. Poor man's Spell Pierce, and even Pierce is not an auto-include.

Combo can sure use it when they kick off as protection and unlike spell pierce where it reads 2, this can easily go above 4-5 and it counters the most important stuff vs combo (eg: counters/disruption). But not definitely an auto-include in everyother deck.

QuoteGuys are bad, because they die to removal, right?

This is a really good target to cheat into play, as it can easily kill most opponents in one hit. And even if they kill it, you are drawing business for the rest of the game.

Well, like you said: cheat into play material, oath, reanimator, which i find there are better/ more consistent options, namely inkwell leviathan. But sure, trample is a value asset in this one.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Mythrandir on 26-06-2011, 06:28:14 PM
QuoteClunky removal. Not even enchantress want this. Problematic because you need to leave mana up every turn, or it does nothing and you already spent a card and mana. Opponent also gets to decide if he is okay with the trade.

Enchantress would play this, IMO. not as a substitute to STp or PTE of course, but as an adition, cheap enchantment, removes creatures, what's not to like?! There's just one problem, enchantress isn't very good in general...

I don't like it because it does nothing if you have no mana open, or your opponent rather sit back with the creature. If you play this on turn one, you can't use it if your opponent played a first turn guy and attacked with it. Then you need to think if you rather play a two mana spell or attempt to cash this in. If you play nothing and opponent does not attack, you need to keep your mana up the next turn too, if you want this to do anything. I would also think that most opponents rather just abuse the hell out of their Knight of the Reliquaries and Lavamancers when you play that. It might stop them from attacking, but they are still just as big of a threat as they were before.

And while it might seem okay to keep opposing creatures from attacking with just by leaving one mana untapped every turn, it's your opponent who gets to make that decision.

Besides, Enchantress is not that far from being a deck, and when it's properly built it has no problems against aggro. Stuff like Moat and Humility are rather backbreaking. They also have better removal at StoP, Path, Journey to Nowhere, Oblivion Ring, Faith's Fetters... and those are just what white has to offer. No need to play this too.

Quote from: Mythrandir on 26-06-2011, 06:28:14 PM
QuoteVery bad, IMO. Poor man's Spell Pierce, and even Pierce is not an auto-include.

Combo can sure use it when they kick off as protection and unlike spell pierce where it reads 2, this can easily go above 4-5 and it counters the most important stuff vs combo (eg: counters/disruption). But not definitely an auto-include in everyother deck.

Sure. This is a good counterspell when you are going off, but I just much rather have like Duress or something for protection and it helps to confirm if the coast is clear. This also is really weak outside the big turn, unlike discard, Spell Pierce and what have you. Way too situational to see play in HL.