Main Menu

UW Tempo

Started by Fisanden, 10-06-2011, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisanden

Here is the updated version of the deck. i changed quite a few cards, and i feel like the deck runs very nice. Still if you have some ideas, i would like to hear them:

Lands(32):

10 Island
7 Plains
Tundra
Hallowed Fountain
Adarkar Wastes
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Windswept Heath
Scalding Tarn
Misty Rainforest
Arid Mesa
Marsh Flats
Wasteland
Karakas
Faerie Conclave
Mutavault
Mishra's Factory

0CC:
Chrome Mox
Pact of Negation

1CC
Isamaru, Hound of Konda
Elite Vanguard
Savannah Lions
Figure of Destiny
Student of Warfare
Phantasmal Bear - really impressed with this guy, is almost just an Isamaru
Cursecather
Æther Vial
Spell Pierce
Force Spike
Mana Thite
Mental Misstep
Condescend
Spell Snare
Ancestral Vision
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Brainstorm
Sensei's Divining Top

2CC:
Mistral Charger
Stormfront Pegasus
Serra Avenger
Spiketail Hatchling
Ninja of the Deep Hours - Ninjitsu
Stoneforge Mystic
Coralhelm Commander
Jötun Grunt
Grand Abolisher
Phantasmal Image - so many good interactions
Daze
Mana Leak
Remand
Memory Lapse
Mana Drain
Counterpell
Miscalculation
Standstill
Into the Roil
Journey to Nowhere

3CC:
Serendib Efreet
Aven Mindcensor
Vendilion Clique
Mirran Crusader
Kitchen Finks
Fathom Seer - Morphed
Porcelain Legionaire
Wake Thrasher - Testing, seems decent
Stitched Drake - also testing, not complitely satisfied
Spiketail Drakeling
Aven Mimeomancer
Geist of Saint Traft - BROKEN! ;)
Oblivion Ring
Psionic Blast
Back to Basics
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Feast and Famine
Jace Beleren

4CC:
Ranger of Eos
Venser, Shaper Savant
Elspeth, Knight Errant
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Cryptic Command

5CC:
Batterskull
Force of Will
Gush

Fisanden

Tournament Rapport:

Since it is a relativly new deck, i was nice to try it out in a local Highlader Tournament...

We were 8 persons and played 4 round - Final.

Round 1, vs GW Aggro

this should be a very bad matchup from my side, since he had both small cheap guys, and lots of equipments.

Game 1:
He had a lot of early presure, but i was just swimming in removal and counterspells, so my little flying weenies took the game home.

Game 2:
I had no play turn 1 or turn 2, but luckly my opponent only had an Qasali Pridemage beeting me. i O'ringed it, but he had to much gas, so game went in his favour.

Game 3:
This game went very fast after my opponent was stuck on one land, witch i wasted. so his only creatures were noble hierarch and savannah lions... but a perfectly timed standstill and serendib efreet won me the game...

1 - 0

Round 2 - vs Gw RAMBO

this deck is the boogeyman of our meta, small mana eleves and eldrazies, this was an even badder matchup.

Game 1:
This game went very fast, and dont remember a lot of it, but i remember loosing.

Game 2:
This was more interesting. i had an early flyier, but my opponent had Natural Order into Pelakka Wurm turn 2, with help from Arbor Elf and City of Traitors. This was not the best, because it ment that i could't race him. I got an serra avenger with specter's shroud and an Zephyr Sprite. But when he flashed in Avenger of Zendikar with Quicksilver Amulet i knew the game properly was over. I made a wrong block and ended up killing myself with my own Serendib Efreet.

1 - 1

Round 3, vs Jund Aggro

After my first win aganinst an aggro deck, my hopes were up high.

Game 1:
He had alot of early presure, but my bigger flyiers took home the game.

Game 2:
After my opponent had 4 dudes in turn 2, and i had no gas before turn 3, i quickly lost.

Game 3:
My opponent mulliganed to 6, without the oppourtunity to send any cards away, so when i had mox diamond, island into turn 1 winter orb, he looked a little sad. He was stuck on one land, and i had counter backup for whatever he would play. When my second flyier hit the board, he conceded.

2 - 1

Round 4, vs WB Death and Taxes

I haddent really watched this deck in action, but i knew it had a lot of removal and discard spells.

Game 1:
When he just had removal for all of my flyiers and discard spells for my removal, i died relativly quickly.

Game 2:
I cant remember a lot from this game, but then he fetched Karakas to bounce my only blocker, the game was over.

2 - 2

All in all, i was pretty happy with the deck. Even though i went 2 - 2, i was surprised how well it did against aggro, maybe i was just lucky? I was a little unhappy that i didn't meet any control deck, when my deck has the best matchups against those kinda decks.

Nastaboi

I'd begin with removing all 1/1 fliers and adding obvious stuff like Mystic+swords, Jace TMS, Cryptic Command, Venser. Try browsing other lists in the forum to get more ideas.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Fisanden

witch would totally destroy the curve... why do you want 4 mana counterspell, in an aggro deck... no aggro deck would play venser and cryptic command. the original skies deck played 1/1 evasion dorks, and if i wanted to make another deck, i would have done it.

Thibir

I played similar deck on 2 tournaments. I won first with 4:0 record. And finished last with 1:2 on the second. Aggro metagame is terrible problem of this deck. It is almost impossible to win against RG or Naya, not to mention RDW or goblins.

I played less plains, thus did not play Serra Avenger. I played only 2 cards with ww in their cost: Elspeth and Flickerwisp, because they are to good to omit them.

I really do not like Vexing Sphinx and Maelstrom Djinn. I would play Pestermite and Azorious Herald instead. I would also cut Curiosity and Unstable mutation as they both are 2 for 1 disadvantage when your creature got removed. I would add more equipments instead. And you definitely MUST PLAY Stoneforge Mystic. 

Fisanden

Quote from: Thibir on 12-06-2011, 03:21:32 PMII would also cut Curiosity and Unstable mutation as they both are 2 for 1 disadvantage when your creature got removed.

Actually Unstable Muation and Curiosity is some of the best cards in the deck, Mutation deals alone 10 damage on a small flyier.

I thought about playing Stoneforge, and then playing SoFaI, Empyrial Plate and maybe SoLaS... i thought about cutting Top, Hokori and Mealstrom Djinn. The Sphinx is just to good.

what about Gush, when you play Empyrial Plate?

Kassow-Rossing

I think it's good you're now getting some feedback from some more experienced players here on the Forum. That is really good for your deck, since many people in here know what they are talking about.

Quote from: Fisanden on 12-06-2011, 06:32:55 PM...Mutation deals alone 10 damage on a small flyier

Well that's just not true :) The 1/1 will deal 4 damage and the Mutation will deal 6 damage. Not severe 10 :)

Fisanden

yeah that is right, but its somewhat the same...

but yes, it is pretty nice that the "pros" can help me´:)

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: Fisanden on 12-06-2011, 09:37:46 PMyeah that is right, but its somewhat the same...

Not really. Thibir's point was Unstable Mutation is a 1:2 trade which is bad. It "only" deals 6 damage and that is maybe not enough for a sometimes 1:2 trade. Something to think about.

Fisanden

i like it, but the point is that if is a 1:2 trade, it still takes an removal spell of of the opponent. maybe against RDW it isn't the best, but in almost any ofher matchup it takes an removal spell for 1 blue, i think that is a pretty good trade.

Orech

i think mutation is really bad... i wouldnt play it. what about adding Repeal ? i know its bit controlish but still a nice cantrip

Fisanden

new list, please check it out :)

tonytahiti

recommendations from my side:

mother of runes! (is there any reason why you dont play that? its an autoinclude in my opinion)
soltari champion (easy to cast, unblockable, pumps your other flyers, not an obvious choice, but i like it here)
into the roil (its called uw tempo, if you wanna tempo them out, bounce spells are so good, this one especially cause it cantrips lategame)
pestermite (same thing, if you wanna tempo them out, pestermite is phenomenal)
stonecloaker (really good creature, it sometimes awkward, but if its good, it really shines)
man-o-war (again, not obvious, but this creature is awesome in deck like that, its great against other aggro, cause you gain great tempo advantage and that its not great against control doesnt matter, cause your match up there is good already)
baneslayer angel (i know 5 mana is alot  for a deck like that, but you should consider it, just so good against aggro, since you wanna approve that matchup)
mirror entity (when you untap with that in play, its likely gg)
kor skyfisher (again, sometimes awkward, but if you are missing a landdrop this guy helps you out,plus really good body!)

deck looks good and fun.might be building it next.

Winner - Pro HL Cup, Prague 2002
Winner - Highlander Regional Masters, Phuket 2006
Winner - Sunrise Trophy Run, Hawaii 2006
Winner - North Dakota HL Championships 2007
Winner - Tahiti "One And Only"-Cup #3, 2009
Winner - Gio di Gio Seria, Florenz, 2016
Winner - Jail or be Jailed, Berlin, 2017

Fisanden

mother of runes! I really forgot about this card, i think im gonna find a spot for it, it's just an awesome Ranger target
soltari champion, i think this card is better in full-blown aggro decks, like WW and Boros
into the roil, maybe :)
pestermite, im not really impressed with this card, it's not big enough!:D... i had it in but i cutted it because it was to slow.
stonecloaker, the bounce a creature thing is cuite akward, but it's still a big dork with evasion
man-o-war, maybe, it is a cuite good argument, i'll try it
baneslayer angel, too slow, the curve ends at 4 and maybe 5 with Gideon(not counting cards like FoW, Misdirection and Gush), i think it's better to run eater big cheap creatures or "small" "expensive" value creature like Sphinx, Clique etc.
mirror entity, maybe looks cuite good
kor skyfisher, had it in, but i don't think it's good enough

Sorry im a little sceptical, but i think your surgetions is good. But i might try cards like Mother, Man O War and Mirror Entity.

i got the list from one of my friends, and i works very well, sometimes you have some akward draws, but witch deck dosen't :)
And i can really recommend the deck, it is really good versus Control, and after my latest changes the Aggro matchup has become really better.

Fisanden

new list, sort of :D