Main Menu

Upcomming Commander Cards legal?

Started by Tabris, 26-05-2011, 11:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helle

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 09-06-2011, 06:25:46 PM
One Question: Which mana does Command Tower produce in T2,Legacy and Highlander?

none

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 09-06-2011, 11:01:26 AM
Quote from: Mythrandir on 09-06-2011, 12:26:26 AM
G
Sorcery    Rare
Join forces - Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of mana. Each player searches his or her library for up to X basic land cards, where X is the total amount of mana paid this way, puts them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles his or her library.

It's symmetrical, the other player gets to reap the benefits first, and it rewards playing basic lands. What is not to like?

Mostly you want play this with your opponent tapped out... i don't mean this is a card to build around, but certainly i can see ramp decks using it..

Nastaboi

Do you realize that even if you pay 3 mana and your opponent pays none, you both still get to search for 3 lands?
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 09-06-2011, 09:13:26 PM
Do you realize that even if you pay 3 mana and your opponent pays none, you both still get to search for 3 lands?

hahha, nop i did not!

reading is tech. =/

bad card, then. limited to valakut then...

LasH

Homeward Path seems to be an interesting land. I did always hope to get something nice against bribery =)

Tabris

I see me losing many times against this land >.<

GoblinPiledriver

Ok now I definetly see the best card of the set:

Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Kristian

Quote from: Mythrandir on 09-06-2011, 10:03:37 PM
Quote from: Nastaboi on 09-06-2011, 09:13:26 PM

hahha, nop i did not!

reading is tech. =/

bad card, then. limited to valakut then...
Or us who play quicken for fun :P
There can be only one!

tonytahiti

wow, that homeward path land is stupid. what were they thinking, i mean this card is nuts in edh, it does not have a drawback, it doesn even come into play tapped? LOL. it blanks so many good cards, blue steal effects is blues way to remove creatures and i actually liked it that way. i admit that treachery for example is maybe a bit overpowered but you dont solve that by printing a even more overpowered land that hoses so many other cards and strategies. i would have been fine with it if you would have to sacrifice it, but you only got to tap it. that card in my eyes, was a mistake and is a joke. in highlander, i dont know if you wanna play it, depends on how many colors you play etc. but in edh that card is SUPERSTUPID!

to a card i really really like:

Scavenging Ooze 1g
Creature - Ooze (R)
g: Exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life.
In nature, not a single bone or scrap of flesh goes to waste.
2/2
Illus. Austin Hsu

that card is awesome! stops graveyard shenanigans, gets big, gains life! so much better than withered wretch and that even saw play! favorite card of the decks!
Winner - Pro HL Cup, Prague 2002
Winner - Highlander Regional Masters, Phuket 2006
Winner - Sunrise Trophy Run, Hawaii 2006
Winner - North Dakota HL Championships 2007
Winner - Tahiti "One And Only"-Cup #3, 2009
Winner - Gio di Gio Seria, Florenz, 2016
Winner - Jail or be Jailed, Berlin, 2017

Tiggupiru

I don't get it. A land that produces colorless and hoses ~5 cards that see play is good? You need a serious reason to play colorless lands and this is not nearly good enough. I don't know what it does in EDH, but frankly I don't care. In this highlander format, it's not very good.

Ooze is decent. Nothing too exciting, but solid guy that does enough things to see play. Might be the best card of the set, but that basically underlines how weak these cards are outside of EDH.

Cards that are most likely to see play IMO:

1. Edric, Spymaster of Trest - Even an Elf. Sick synergies.
2. Scavenging Ooze
3. Trench Gorger - 25/25 creatures are pretty good. Especially with trample.
4. Nin, the Pain Artist - Reznor might be decent in some deck, but is most likely too random. Semi-powerful ability alone makes this interesting.
5. Sewer Nemesis - Is playable only if you plan to target yourself and can provide some synergies.

LasH

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 11-06-2011, 05:12:18 PM
I don't get it. A land that produces colorless and hoses ~5 cards that see play is good? You need a serious reason to play colorless lands and this is not nearly good enough. I don't know what it does in EDH, but frankly I don't care. In this highlander format, it's not very good.

You kinda miss important things. For example: It is actually a very high risk to run "natural order/Progenitus" combo because of bribery. With this card avaible, the combo gets actually a bit better because you can handle your worst scenario.

Reanimator decks get pimped by this card, nearly all decks based on overcosted creatures get a boost with this card, because this land makes these decks less susceptible for the "5" cards which kinda own these decks.

I think this card is very good, a truely pain in the ass for the actually played U/G Aggro control. With this land on the bord, UG looses all of their "removal vs creatures".

And i think there might be even more options. Maybe im totally wrong, but i hope with this card avaible we see new decks rising. Im pretty sure this card will be a meta choice, but its definitly not a bad card in my eyes.

I have another Question: If you bribery a broodmate dragon and your opponent uses the land, does he get the token too?

MMD

I also don´t think that the anti Bribery/Treachery "tech" of Homeward Path will balance or even trump the colourless mana disadvantage, so I suppose this card will not affect Highlander seriously. This is certainly different for Commander where everyone loves to steal things and you have more than one opponent who could potentially take control of your creatures.

I can accept if someone puts this card in a 1-max2 colour deck which plays big creatures but also this is questionable for me as I always want a coloured land in most of the time. The only decks which come to my mind here is Elfes/wNO and UG Ramp/wOath. Wasteland cannot be compared here.

I don´t see a big effect of the Commander cards in HL because most of them have nearly useless effects (search for the keyword "each" in the cards textbox) for 1on1 games as they are designed for multiplayer rounds or are to expensive (+5 Mana) to have an impact. Yes, there are already a couple of spells in HL which cost more then five mana but they either win you the game (e.g. Upheaval) or immediately impact the board (e.g. Primeval Titan). I have not identified such a card in the new Commander decks.

Therefore I think there are some OK cards which will find their ways into some decks but will not greatly impact the metagame, such as Edric and Ooze.

In general I appreciate that WotC now concentrates on their casual customers with the implementation of Singleton and Commander as I think that this will automatically feed Highlander as well. I think that the 100 card singleton format will grow in the next years with the WotC promotion and a now complete singleton circle:

Multiplayer - Commander
1on1 online - Singleton
1on1 real life - Highlander

I don´t understand why people play 1on1 with Commander decks and vice versa as the formats are not designed for it. How much fun is it to play Multiplayer with a deck from an official constructed format? What I don´t understand why WotC offers Commander 1on1 side events on GP/PT's as they admit that Commander is a multiplayer format. Casual singleton players should realize that Commander is not a 1on1 format and change to Highlander. The "solution" is probably to have at least one deck of each format if you want to play 1on1 and Multiplayer. But this is certainly another story and requires a new thread.

P.S.: The new Commander decks look fun to play and even I, who mostly plays 1on1 tournament Highlander, think about buying these boxes to play multiplayer with my friends.

Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

so_not

Quote from: LasH on 12-06-2011, 01:41:10 AM
I have another Question: If you bribery a broodmate dragon and your opponent uses the land, does he get the token too?

110.5a A token is both owned and controlled by the player under whose control it entered the battlefield. -So you keep the token.

Tiggupiru

You kinda miss important things. For example: It is actually a very high risk to run "natural order/Progenitus" combo because of bribery. With this card avaible, the combo gets actually a bit better because you can handle your worst scenario.

Well, no. I didn't miss the most obvious best-case scenario.

Look, this card has no second ability against 80-90% of the field  and it's not guaranteed that the rest of players ever even draw that Bribery against you. Even more unlikely is that you manage find this one-of card to counter their card(s) in games when they do Bribery you.

LasH

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 12-06-2011, 12:43:28 PM

Well, no. I didn't miss the most obvious best-case scenario.

Look, this card has no second ability against 80-90% of the field  and it's not guaranteed that the rest of players ever even draw that Bribery against you. Even more unlikely is that you manage find this one-of card to counter their card(s) in games when they do Bribery you.

With so many land tutor's around i doubt that this will be a problem, exspecially with primeval titan who kinda sees alot play. I dont understand the argument with the 2nd ability. Where is the 2nd ability on Wasteland? The 2nd ability on Maze? If you wanna run this land, i dont see any problem with the actual 10 fetchlands to still build a decent "at least" 3 color build.

Worst case: You have a colorless mana producer

Best case: It cut's down UG, its decent vs bribery and control magic effects.

Time will tell, mb overhyped mb not, but i give it a try since in my meta alot of ppl play UG.