Main Menu

Upcomming Commander Cards legal?

Started by Tabris, 26-05-2011, 11:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabris

Hey guys, since the upcomming of the five preconstructed Commander decks with 51 new cards is coming, the question about the legality in the highlander format is rising.

Wotc is making them legal in every eternal format which are Legacy and Vintage. The prices are already very high bc many people are pre-ordering all five of them. Since some cards on the bannedlist are banned bc of money issues (we had the discussion w/o any final solution)its becoming interesinting if its the same case here.

the "preview" is starting right now
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=326603

Ball.Lightning

Hi,
last time I checked the prices of this product, one can buy all 5 100 card deck for 140$. I realy dont feel this as price restriction. The cards will be legal on legacy and vintage format so I don't see any reason to ban theese cards on our format. Unless some card will be legacy bomb, card prices will be more than OK. So far spoiled cards show overcosted creatures, that are far from beeing usefull in HL. They are more likely designed for EDH (which is quite a different world).

LasH

I doubt the set contains any card which could get a money issue for competive highlander in the very next time. The first preview cards are pretty balanced in my opinion, considering that they kinda always show the "highlights" in the first previews, i kinda dont exspect something much better than the 3 actual previews (just the point of view considering balance).

I dont know if all cards are foil, the previews look foil to me, which could increase their prices a little bit.
Also with all hype and the limity of these cards, playable or not, the cards will cost more than they are worth by their powerlevel, thats for sure.

I hope for some more nice cards and hopefully not to overpriced and i hope the cards dont get the banhammer ;). Bc for some fun decks, i would love to play vish kal !

Nastaboi

Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Mythrandir

Mix feelings about this one... but going to go and say legal and hope they won't make a jace or goyf in there. From what i saw mainly overcosted and multiplayer stuff...

MarcMagic

Well there is no reason not to allow them in Highlander. You can order all 5 Packs for 110-130€ (depending on shipping costs) which is kind of fair and even then I don't think there are any broken cards anyways.

Kassow-Rossing

Shouldn't these cards be allowed or not allowed based on their set (Commander Promotional) instead of their power level og prize level? Just like any other set. I mean the broken* cards could just get banned later.

*Doubt there will be any even though some will sell the set.

GoblinPiledriver

It looks like we have the most intereseting and maybe strongest card of the commander set.
4 Mana 7/7 looks like a XXL-Doran.

What do you think, will this be a card which can change highlander?

http://serv4.tcgimages.eu/img/cards/Commander/ruhan_of_the_fomori.jpg

Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Nastaboi

Well, it's just big and has no evasion - a dumb creature. Sad to say but it's kind a fair card - oh power lever, where art thou? It has a very minor drawback not being able to attack planeswalkers, not that it ever wanted though.

Helle

As already said, it doesn't have any evasion. Its colors are more cotrol oriented than aggro. I doubt it will see any play besides your 5c aggro and even there I think Doran is better because it's faster and can disrupt your enemy somehow.

But there is a treasure card in the set, which will definitly be played a lot:

LasH

Quote from: Helle on 08-06-2011, 01:09:52 AM
As already said, it doesn't have any evasion. Its colors are more cotrol oriented than aggro. I doubt it will see any play besides your 5c aggro and even there I think Doran is better because it's faster and can disrupt your enemy somehow.

But there is a treasure card in the set, which will definitly be played a lot:

I also think that edric is pretty strong. I guess after this set we might see karakas might get more important.

Mythrandir

Weird that nobody talked about this one:

G
Sorcery    Rare
Join forces - Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of mana. Each player searches his or her library for up to X basic land cards, where X is the total amount of mana paid this way, puts them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles his or her library.

Talk about ramping, specially if you wait for your opponent to be tapped out.

the 7/7 seems a bit cost ackward, but in 5c aggro it's playable.

the other seems very very playable.

Nastaboi

Quote from: Mythrandir on 09-06-2011, 12:26:26 AM
G
Sorcery    Rare
Join forces - Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of mana. Each player searches his or her library for up to X basic land cards, where X is the total amount of mana paid this way, puts them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles his or her library.

It's symmetrical, the other player gets to reap the benefits first, and it rewards playing basic lands. What is not to like?

LasH

Quote from: Mythrandir on 09-06-2011, 12:26:26 AM
Weird that nobody talked about this one:

G
Sorcery    Rare

Talk about ramping, specially if you wait for your opponent to be tapped out.

I think this card is very situational and might even go into the wrong direction, as nastaboi alrdy pointed out. If you face 5c-decks this card can be the best rampspell in highlander, but if you don't...you take a risk that your opponent might overwhelm you in his turn. And even if your opponent does not pay any extra mana, he profit's from the spell too. "Free lands" are kinda strong for any decks, but maybe we see a strong landfall deck one day. Till then, i think the risk is higher than the benefit.

GoblinPiledriver

Colective Voyage is like New Frontiers, which is also not played often.

So in my oppinion the best cards of the Set are Ruhan of the Fomodri; Edric, Spymaster of Trest; and for the Reanimator Decks Magmatic Force.

Yeah and I still think Ruhan is better than Edric.

One Question: Which mana does Command Tower produce in T2,Legacy and Highlander?
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.