Main Menu

4c Aggro/Control

Started by SpoCk0nd0pe, 18-04-2011, 03:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpoCk0nd0pe

First: High everyone. I've Been playing casual Highlander for quite some time. Due to being bored of legacy I got into this format some time ago :)
Playing highlander with strong cards over MWS for some time got me this decklist, it proved quite powerful (even though many MWS decks are not competitive) so I thought I could share it:

// Lands
    1 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    1 [LG] Karakas
    1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
    1 [DIS] Breeding Pool
    1 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
    1 [UNH] Plains
    1 [UNH] Forest
    1 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
    1 [A] Tropical Island
    1 [A] Tundra
    1 [A] Savannah
    1 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
    1 [TE] Wasteland
    1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    1 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    1 [UNH] Island
    1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    1 [A] Underground Sea
    1 [A] Scrubland
    1 [A] Bayou
    1 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold
    1 [RAV] Watery Grave
    1 [MM] Dust Bowl
    1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    1 [MI] Flood Plain
    1 [MI] Bad River
    1 [A] Swamp (1)
    1 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
    1 [DK] Maze of Ith

// Creatures
    1 [ALA] Rafiq of the Many
    1 [CS] Jotun Grunt
    1 [TSP] Serra Avenger
    1 [BOK] Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
    1 [FD] Eternal Witness
    1 [ARB] Jenara, Asura of War
    1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
    1 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
    1 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    1 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    1 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    1 [ALA] Rhox War Monk
    1 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
    1 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
    1 [ON] Weathered Wayfarer
    1 [UL] Mother of Runes
    1 [DIS] Trygon Predator
    1 [ARB] Lorescale Coatl
    1 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
    1 [FD] Trinket Mage
    1 [PS] Quirion Dryad
    1 [A] Birds of Paradise
    1 [FUT] Tombstalker
    1 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
    1 [OD] Shadowmage Infiltrator
    1 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
    1 [OD] Terravore
    1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
    1 [MBS] Phyrexian Revoker
    1 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
    1 [ISD] Geist of Saint Traft
    1 [CMD] Scavenging Ooze

// Spells
    1 [A] Counterspell
    1 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    1 [ALA] Bant Charm
    1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 [A] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [SC] Stifle
    1 [CFX] Path to Exile
    1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 [LRW] Ponder
    1 [IA] Brainstorm
    1 [NE] Daze
    1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    1 [AL] Force of Will
    1 [M11] Preordain
    1 [MM] Misdirection
    1 [AP] Vindicate
    1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
    1 [MM] Bribery
    1 [A] Demonic Tutor
    1 [LRW] Thoughtseize
    1 [US] Duress
    1 [LG] Mana Drain
    1 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 [MOR] Bitterblossom
    1 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    1 [FUT] Pact of Negation
    1 [FD] Condescend
    1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    1 [DKA] Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    1 [NPH] Batterskull
    1 [NPH] Dismember

What this deck always needs:
More undercosted beaters following the Lhurgoyf scheme. Suggestions are very welcome.

Cards currently under consideration:

Glissa, the Traitor
Shirekmaw
Arbor elf
Phantasmal Image
Cosi's Trickser
Cursecatcher
Wake Thrasher
Spellsnare
Miscalculation

I did decide against an extensive primer explaining every card choice because I'm too lazy. If you have a question about a specific choice just ask :)
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the list. Any constructive input is welcome.

- spock

Latest edit 22.01.12:

- Vampire Hexmage (BB was just too much and the card is not really versatile)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder (just too slow)
- Sun Titan (6 cc is just too much, I'd rather play another counterspell for 2 and counter his stuff)
- Impulse (2 cc is too much for card quality)
- Acedemy ruins (not enough targets, colorless is too taxing for the benefit)
- Go for the throat (Dismember is just superior)
- Sword of light and shadow (the old list was pre batterskull)
- Consuming Vapors (I needed to cut something for maze of ith, and 4cc was quite costly even if the card is really powerfull against aggro)

+ Dismember (more removal for 1 cc - Yay!)
+ Batterskull (self explaining)
+ Scavenging Ooze (this card is just too good not to play, GY hate + good beating)
+ Sorin (I think he's better then Elspeth, so auto include)
+ Creeping Tarpit (good Plainswalker hate - thanks MMD!)
+ Snapcaster Mage (Extremely versatile card)
+ Geist of Saint Traft (here for testing, let's see how well he does)
+ Maze of ith (definately needed)

About some card choices: I had a little look here http://mtgpulse.com/event/4985#66038.
What I really do not understand is why those people do not play the terravore. He's easily 5/5 trample in a meta with so many fetches.
Weathered wayfarer aside from generating card advantage and fetching utility lands is absolutely nuts with jotun grunt. If both hit play they beat any deck with a higher curve then this if unanswered.
Why don't they play jenara? 3/3 flying for 3 cc with permanent pump is 4/4 flying or more on turn 4. I think I would cut the Clique for her (or better play both and keep the curve low).

MMD

There is not enough mana in the deck. I would advise you to add 1-2 another mana sources. Without Elves and stuff I would not go to 6CC. If you add mana accleration I would definately add the G&B Titans. If you ask you what to take out I would start with the conditional counters and expensive removal. Battling Planeswalker is easier with flash creatures and the UB/(UW) manland. You also should decide if you go the tempo or the control way. Currently you mix both strategies. Good 2CC beaters are rare but there are a lot of good 3CC creatures which require the elf package.

Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

SpoCk0nd0pe

I did cut austere command and divert for tidehollow sculler (amazingly good hatebear) and phyrexian revoker (strong vs maze of ith and plainswalkers).

Quote from: MMD on 18-04-2011, 08:40:32 AM
There is not enough mana in the deck. I would advise you to add 1-2 another mana sources. Without Elves and stuff I would not go to 6CC. If you add mana accleration I would definately add the G&B Titans. If you ask you what to take out I would start with the conditional counters and expensive removal. Battling Planeswalker is easier with flash creatures and the UB/(UW) manland. You also should decide if you go the tempo or the control way. Currently you mix both strategies. Good 2CC beaters are rare but there are a lot of good 3CC creatures which require the elf package.

In my experience the mana sources are just right. Played around 150 games with this deck and got screwed very rarely.

The only removal I find expensive is Bant Charm, it is a swiss knife though. Not sending creatures to the gy is a good ability plus it isn't a dead card vs control. Maybe go for the throat can be cut for ghastly demise.

Actually going both routes, tempo and control, is what makes this deck strong. Drop tempo creatures while denying the opponent wrath effects and bigger tempo creatures.

MMD

If you feel fine with it, stay with it. My experiences of an UGx mana base are completely different and I play more lands AND elves.

Bant Charm is ok. Very Flexible but expensive. I meant Command and Vapors and perhaps Pulse.

I know what UG(x) AggroControl does...but playing Jenara/Avenger in the same deck with Sun Titan cannot be the right choice and thinking that six Mana creatures will be able to influence the game with nearly no ramp spells in the deck looks strange to me as well.

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

SpoCk0nd0pe

Maybe dropping the titan is a good idea, baneslayer and bribery can often win the game just as well. It's intended to win the game after a lategame board wipe, but there are probably options in lower cc slots as well. I just rarely draw the card, mostly lategame when I get to see a lot of cards. Strangely I get to 6 mana quite often.

Command got cut, it was really only there to beat control if they got into control with artifacts and/or enchantments. But the game is usually lost by then anyways (often due to their sheer card advantage).

Consuming vapors proved incredibly strong, even at 4 mana. It's like 2 diabolic edict plus lifegain, often a game winner vs aggro.

The reason why 33 lands works for me is:
1. highlander mulligan
2. 11 spells that fix your mana, 7 at 1cc

What do you think of NO/progenitus? I somehow fear bribery, and drawing progenitus without NO sucks. On the other hand NO could just win the game turn 6.

MMD

Again, if you feel fine with it...

The same goes for Natural Order. I play NO in my Bant/4C Goodstuff lists but with Primeval Titan/Terastodon. Both are strong enough to give you game winning advantages but you will not loose against Bribery right away. In a Ramp build NO is much better because the chance to play it turn 3-4 is higher. Also hardcasting the creatures is more likely there.

SpoCk0nd0pe

It's been some time.

I came back and worked on my highlander deck. See the OP for changes.

I refuse to play mana ramps if they do not fix my mana (like birds/noble hirarch), tutor utility lands (weathered wayfarer) or are just nuts (like lotus cobra). I'd rather play another 1cc discard spell or MM, I think it's superior to wasting turn 1 for a 3cc drop turn 2. There are just too many good 2 cc spells and that 3cc drop gets eaten by 1cc removal.

Nastaboi

Quote from: SpoCk0nd0pe on 22-02-2012, 03:48:58 AM
There are just too many good 2 cc spells

I feel actually just the opposite, frustration on not enough good two-drops. Mystic, Cobra, Sculler, Ooze, Bitterblossom are good but rest are meh or not actual 2nd turn plays (Snapcaster, Tarmo). On the other hand, relying too much on mana dudes makes you weak on removal as you keep hands based on acceleration and then they proceed to kill your Bird.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

SpoCk0nd0pe

Quote from: Nastaboi on 22-02-2012, 09:16:02 AM
Quote from: SpoCk0nd0pe on 22-02-2012, 03:48:58 AM
There are just too many good 2 cc spells

I feel actually just the opposite, frustration on not enough good two-drops. Mystic, Cobra, Sculler, Ooze, Bitterblossom are good but rest are meh or not actual 2nd turn plays (Snapcaster, Tarmo). On the other hand, relying too much on mana dudes makes you weak on removal as you keep hands based on acceleration and then they proceed to kill your Bird.
I think Quirion Dryard, quasali pridemage and tarmogoyf (he is 3/4 by turn 3 often enough) are good too. But that's only 8 out of 100 so you're probably right. Maybe I should think about adding Bob.

There are some choices I'm unsure about:
EE (is this card even viable in the current meta?)
Baneslayer (5cc is just very much considering that it can be removed for 1)
Shadowmage Infiltrator (Good for carddraw but quite slow, does not deal significant damage)
Kira, Great glass spinner (is there enough spotremoval in the meta to justify the slot?)
Spell pierce (I think it's a very good counterspell for tempo decks and fits the gameplan of this deck, I dunno if it hits enough relevant targets though)

What do you think?