Tabris

...It has started...just look at the new KARN PLANESWALKER

Translation:

+4 Target Players Exiles a Card from his or her hand

-3 Exile Target Permanent

-14 Return all exiled cards (except auras) to play under your control

Remindertext for the new mana symbol:

pay colored mana or 2 life

you have to follow the thread to get the other translations   http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=313733

staxx/ramp is coming :D

edit: Translation of some cards

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=6557939&postcount=218

Helle

Most translations can be found here:
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=313754

I really like this card:

QuoteHex Parasite
Rare
Artifact Creature - Insect(?)
1/1
XP: Target a permanent. Remove up to X counters from that permanent. ~ gains +1/+0 until end of turn for each counter removed this way.
(P may be paid for with either B or 2 life.)

It's a Planeswalker-killer fetchable with Trinket Mage!

This one is also interessting:

QuotePraetor's Grip
Rare
1BB
Sorcery
Search your opponent's deck for a card and exile it facedown. While it's exiled this way, you may look at it and play it as though it were in your hand.

At best, it's a Demonic Tutor for 1BB. At least, it's a Rampant Growth for 1BB, which is bad. Most Decks play powerful artifacts like the Swords or Divining Top, so it won't be dead too often.
Do you think it will see play?

LasH

I think its a 2nd Demonic tutor for BB1, which should be the "balanced" version of it.

I'm pretty sure it will see play. Not to mention that it give you the chance to play the broken cards "twice" (jace 2.0, gifts etc). In worst case its a land searcher, as you said. The question is: Can you afford BB..

GoblinPiledriver

Hex Parasite will see play and Praetor's Grip will see play.

The main problem with the Grip will be the double black cost which will reduce the card too heavy black decks, but in such decks the card will see heavy play.

I'm not sure about the Parasite. I think he will be usefull in blue midrange controll decks with Trinket Mage.

The most interesting card in the Set is the new Karn Planeswalker. He looks like a easier to cast (not stronger) version of the ultra-Planeswalker Nicol Bolas.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Kristian

It might be worth mentioning that Karn's ultimate also seems to be restarting the game with the exiled permanents in play under your control if you played Karn's ultimate.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=313754
There can be only one!

so_not

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 04-04-2011, 10:16:53 PM
Hex Parasite will see play and Praetor's Grip will see play.

The main problem with the Grip will be the double black cost which will reduce the card too heavy black decks, but in such decks the card will see heavy play.

I'm not sure about the Parasite. I think he will be usefull in blue midrange controll decks with Trinket Mage.

The most interesting card in the Set is the new Karn Planeswalker. He looks like a easier to cast (not stronger) version of the ultra-Planeswalker Nicol Bolas.

I think Hex Parasite is pretty bad. If you need a Trinket Mageable planeswalker removal try Pithing Needle. Yeah Parasite leaves a body behind but is also way more vulnerable to removal and more mana intensive.

Praetor's Grip is also bad. 3 mana tutors aren't very hot for starters and they are mostly used in combodecks in which this thing does nothing. If the format was full of MBC mirrors then this would probably be good.

Tiggupiru

Parasite seems really unexciting, guess it could be playable if you have reasonable synergy, but I really can't think of anything too good to combo this with. Too narrow to be just a hate card.

Grip is a card I would not completely write off. Right now it hits, at worst, Sensei's Top or a land. Fabricate into sensei you can't use to draw a card is not exciting, but it also takes away theirs. It's pretty reasonable to expect to hit an on color card.

Grip is most likely a bad card, but I want to see this card in action before dismissing it.

Quote"Spawning Shell"
Rare
3 {PG}
Artifact
({PG} may be paid for with either  or 2 life.)
1 {PG}, T, sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a creature with CMC equal to the sacrificed creature's, plus one. Put that creature into play, then shuffle your library. Play this ability only when you can play a Sorcery.

Hello. Pattern will probably want a Fauna Shaman that is also a sacrifice outlet, has no summoning sickness and can't be targeted with creature removal. I mean, I THINK so.

Quite good even without comboing synergies, just upgrading your late llanowar elves into good two drops and further into something better is good, and with the 100 unique cards in every deck, there are always a some chain you can pursue. Not as good as Green Sun's Zenith as it does require a creature on the board and a deck that has at least 25 or so creatures, but the fact it can be fired with four mana is something very respectable. The life loss can easily be negated, if needed, by fetching creatures that gain life or something like Skinrender or FTK will effectively gain you life in some situations.

Has my vote as the best card of the set even we have like little over 10% spoiled. It takes a really good card to top that.

QuotePuresteel Paladin
Rare
WW
2/2
Creature - Human Knight
Whenever an Equipment enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card.
Metalcraft - As long as you control 3 or more artifacts, equipment you control gains 'Equip 0'.

I still think there are too few good equipment around, but everytime they print cards like this, I can't help but update my WW-Equipment list and prepare to get disappointed once more :)

Powerful first ability, and with Leonin Shikari, the latter is quite hilarious, but effectively not very useful as you really don't want equipments that cost a million mana to equip.

Mir

I really like the new Karn. especially if the translation is true :D

tonytahiti

i agree. spawning shell is the most exciting card so far. exchanging a fleshbag marauder for a skinrender and then a skinrender for a shriekmaw and then a shriekmaw for a grave titan seems okay.

preators grip is pretty iffy. most likely its gonna get ya a divining top or a wurmcoil or whatnot. at least its gonna be a ramp spell or a rain of tears (wasteland). doubt thats good enough. overall, its pretty iffy. especially in black where you already got some good tutors.

the parasite is interesting. but more so in standard than in highlander. it has some potential and will see play though.
Winner - Pro HL Cup, Prague 2002
Winner - Highlander Regional Masters, Phuket 2006
Winner - Sunrise Trophy Run, Hawaii 2006
Winner - North Dakota HL Championships 2007
Winner - Tahiti "One And Only"-Cup #3, 2009
Winner - Gio di Gio Seria, Florenz, 2016
Winner - Jail or be Jailed, Berlin, 2017

MarcMagic

Praetors Grip with cc of 2B or an "instant"-tag it would probably see much play. But 1BB is just too bad (2BB gets you Diabolic Tutor which does not even see play in Combodecks) and Decks who can afford to play such a card (Hi @ MBC) can't make good use of it.

Hex Parasite won't see play, not even as Trinket Mage target because as mentioned it's obv worse than Pithing Needle which is not an Trinket Mage-toolbox-autoinclude anymore (you want the PW to shut up with 4 mana and not wait 1 more round and remove it for 7 or sth.). When Wizards brings out more good and cheap artifact creatures Hex Parasite might see play in brown Aggro-variants but I don't think it's time yet :).

Phyrexian Canceler will definetly see play in some Mono B suicide decks. And Elesh Norn in Mono White Staxx with a Twist xD.

Mythrandir

Quote from: MarcMagic on 06-04-2011, 08:01:10 PM

Phyrexian Canceler will definetly see play in some Mono B suicide decks. And Elesh Norn in Mono White Staxx with a Twist xD.

More than  B suicide, if i read it correctly, the sac part occurs to your opponent. So, still good in MBC, IMO.

Also i agree with you, the grip at 2B or instant would definitely see play, as 1BB sorcery it wont see as much play.

and how about the scrapmetal fiend?

R
creature
*/*

*/* is equal to artifacts in all graves

This screams to be abused

Helle

Quote from: Mythrandir on 08-04-2011, 11:22:10 PM
and how about the scrapmetal fiend?

R
creature
*/*

*/* is equal to artifacts in all graves

This screams to be abused

I like that card and its design. But I don't think that it will be that relevant. There are more powerful cards which haven't seen a lot of play so far.

MarcMagic

I think in near future it will be possible to play a decent "affinity"-like deck (in form of workshop aggro or sth) with lots of cheap artifact synergies and beatdown. I see this dude in such decks but on the other hand hes something like Goblin Welder, a very strong card which is sadly not played in any HL deck. Although you cannot compare these two cards I think everyone gets my point.

Nowadays getting 3/3 for 1 Mana is not wtfimba anymore. But as Helle already said there are other even more powerful cards which aren't played as well.

And ofc you are right Mythrandir. Phyrexian Canceler can be played in MBC as well. Although I don't see MBC as a T1 deck it is still playable and should be taken into consideration. My fault ; )

Mythrandir

Quote from: MarcMagic on 09-04-2011, 01:51:10 AM

And ofc you are right Mythrandir. Phyrexian Canceler can be played in MBC as well. Although I don't see MBC as a T1 deck it is still playable and should be taken into consideration. My fault ; )

Lol, no prob. :) I just wrote it  because i saw lots of ppl reading it as a negator ability (including my first time look at it...), it is far better than negator (ability), but it's mana cost is really intensive, so it will only see play in black heavy decks MBC, Suicidal B...

Tabris

The whole set is spoiled thanks to a leaked Godbook

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=317624

now with complete visual spoiler

http://www.mtgoacademy.com/new-phyrexia-visual-spoilers-157175/