Started by Tiggupiru, 28-01-2011, 02:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiggupiru

-- WHITE --

QuoteName:    Accorder Paladin
Cost:    1{W}
Type:    Creature - Human Knight
Pow/Tgh:    3/1
Rules Text:    Battle cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)

Decent guy for aggressive token decks, but I doubt this is something WW or other aggro decks want.

QuoteName:    Hero of Bladehold
Cost:    2{W}{W}
Pow/Tgh:    3/4
Rules Text:    Battle cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)

Whenever Hero of Bladehold attacks, put two 1/1 white soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.

Again, the aforementioned token decks can find this useful, but 4 mana is probably too much for a guy that doesn't do anything until he swings.

QuoteName:    Leonin Relic-Warder
Cost:    {W}{W}
Type:    Creature - Cat Cleric
Pow/Tgh:    2/2
Rules Text:    When Leonin Relic-Warder enters the battlefield, you may exile target artifact or enchantment.
When Leonin Relic-Warder leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.

I like this one in WW. The "may" - word in that ability is really, really important.

QuoteName:    Mirran Crusader
Cost:    1{W}{W}
Rules Text:    Double strike, protection from black and from green

I remember the time when I played Paladin en-vec. Such innocent times. That being said, this is very solid beater and goes well with equipment, namely Sword of Fire and Ice. I might need to put Steelshaper's Gift back to my WW.

QuoteName:    Phyrexian Rebirth
Cost:    4{W}{W}
Type:    Sorcery
Rules Text:    Destroy all creatures, then put an X/X colorless Horror artifact creature token onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures destroyed this way.

Six mana wrath is too slow. Despite leaving you with 2/2 or 3/3, it's still not very good. Even jackpotting with this and getting like 6/6 the game is still far from over.

QuoteName:    White Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{W}{W}{W}
Type:    Instant
Rules Text:    Put X 2/2 Cat creature tokens onto the battlefield. Shuffle White Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

Probably too restrictive and expensive, but the power is still there. With six mana, you get six power as an instant, which is not a bad deal and anything more than that is a bonus.

- BLUE -

QuoteName:    Blue Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{U}{U}{U}
Rules Text:    Target player draws X cards. Shuffle Blue Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

Well, draw X is draw X. Good in certain comboes, but useless in everywhere else.

QuoteName:    Consecrated Sphinx
Cost:    4{U}{U}
Type:    Creature - Sphinx
Pow/Tgh:    4/6
Rules Text:    Flying
Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may draw two cards.

Really needs to have a flash or something to be even consider as playable. Too many things need to go right for you to get value and with six mana, you really should get value right away.

QuoteName:    Distant Memories
Cost:    2{U}{U}
Rules Text:    Search your library for a card, exile it, then shuffle your library. An opponent may have you put that card into your hand. If no player does, you draw three cards.

A bad Concentrate isn't excatly what I look forward to cast. If this were an instant, it might see play, but even then it would take away the a card you want to draw.

QuoteName:    Mirran Spy
Cost:    2{U}
Type:    Creature - Drone
Pow/Tgh:    1/3
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may untap target creature.

I don't think this comboes well enough with anything, but you never know what they print next.

QuoteName:    Mitotic Manipulation
Cost:    1{U}{U}
Rules Text:    Look at the top seven cards of your library. You may put one of those cards onto the battlefield if it has the same name as a permanent. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Blue Rampant Growth. How sick is that???!?

So, yeah. Sarcasm and stuff.

QuoteName:    Neurok Commando
Type:    Creature - Human Rogue
Pow/Tgh:    2/1
Rules Text:    Shroud
Whenever Neurok Commando deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.

This can be really, really annoying against midrange or control decks not running many utility guys. Nothing too spectacular, but nice Ophidian variant.

QuoteName:    Oculus
Cost:    1{U}
Type:    Creature - Homunculus
Pow/Tgh:    1/1
Rules Text:    When Oculus is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card.

Could see play theoretically. Needs a buttload of synergy, but it shines when it can trade with savannah lions.

QuoteName:    Steel Sabotage
Cost:    {U}
Rules Text:    Choose one - counter target artifact spell; or return target artifact to its owner's hand.

Eternal formats will find some use for this, us Highlanders do not.

QuoteName:    Treasure Mage
Type:    Creature - Human Wizard
Rules Text:    When Treasure Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 6 or greater, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

I am really happy that they made this card. Powerful, sure. But only in decks that aren't a problem. I suspect this seeing play every once in a while fetching Mindslavers and Wurmcoil Engines. Not an universal inclusion as his smaller brother, but playable.

QuoteName:    Vedalken Infuser
Cost:    3{U}
Type:    Creature - Vedalken Wizard
Pow/Tgh:    1/4
Rules Text:    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a charge counter on target artifact.

Awww, come on. Why this doesn't proliferate? Could have find some use for it in block. Not playable.

QuoteName:    Vivisection
Cost:    3{U}
Rules Text:    As an additional cost to cast Vivisection, sacrifice a creature.
Draw three cards.

Speaking of bad Concentrates, this is even worse.

-- BLACK --

QuoteName:    Black Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{B}{B}
Rules Text:    Put X -1/-1 counters on each creature. Shuffle Black Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

I'm still rather unsure. Five mana does decimate the board pretty well, but it might not be enough to put you out of harm's way. It really feels like a card that is good against decks that black control already crushes, if it wants to. But then again, it's a respectable sweeper.

I do think it's really, really good in UB that plays ThopterSword along with all the two mana transmute spells. This allows you to have like four sweepers in the price of one, and that makes this unbelieavably valuable, even better than Damnation in that deck IMO. Because it also shuffles back, it can be fetched for encore too. Beseech the Queen also finds this in turn three, which makes both cards better.

QuoteName:    Go for the Throat
Cost:    1{B}
Rules Text:    Destroy target nonartifact creature.

Slightly better than Doom Blade in HL. So, playable.

QuoteName:    Gruesome Encore
Cost:    2{B}
Rules Text:    Put target creature card from an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If that creature would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else.

I'm not sure what kind of deck would want this, but it's not too bad. Just hope opponent is playing reanimator.

QuoteName:    Phyrexian Crusader
Cost:    1{B}{B}
Type:    Creature - Zombie Knight
Rules Text:    First strike

Protection from red and from white.

Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in form of -1/-1 counters and to players in form of poison counters.)

Infect is a drawback, so pretty weak.

QuoteName:    Sangromancer
Cost:    2{B}{B}
Type:    Creature - Vampire Shaman
Pow/Tgh:    3/3
Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may gain 3 life.
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may gain 3 life.

I want to cast Death Cloud while I have this in play. Not really a playable, though.

- RED -

QuoteName:    Crush
Cost:    {R}
Rules Text:    Destroy target noncreature artifact.

Cheap, but Shatter is better and Shatter has been outclassed pretty badly for the last ten years or so.

QuoteName:    Goblin Wardriver
Cost:    {R}{R}
Type:    Creature - Goblin Warrior

I think Goblins want this and I think this is really good there, but I don't know the deck well enough make absolute claims.

QuoteName:    Hero of Oxid Ridge
Cost:    2{R}{R}
Pow/Tgh:    4/2
Rules Text:    Haste
Battle cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)
Whenever Hero of Oxid Ridge attacks, creatures with power 1 or less can't block this turn.

Not too shabby, little random perhaps, but that's what usually gets you in HL. Stats are okay, haste and battle cry alone makes this playable in RG or RW, IMO. The last ability can make some Walls and utility creatures very unhappy (or very happy, as they probably prefer to live).

QuoteName:    Red Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{R}
Rules Text:    Red Sun's Zenith deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead. Shuffle Red Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

The good thing about this card is that when you cast a red X-spell, you usually want to cast more of them, making this a solid card to draw. Other than the minor upside, this isn't that exciting, and not good enough to be in decks that don't normally plan on casting red X's.

QuoteName:    Slagstorm
Cost:    1{R}{R}
Rules Text:    Choose one - Slagstorm deals 3 damage to each creature; or Slagstorm deals 3 damage to each player.

Sweet sweeper that also can take out planeswalkers or finish the deed? Very nice. Double red does make this impossible to just to splash, but it still pretty nice in r/X -controls.

- GREEN-

QuoteName:    Green Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{G}
Rules Text:    Search your library for a green creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Shuffle Green Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

Oh wow. This should be in every green deck that runs creatures. One mana more is prefectly reasonable to pay for such versatility. And besides, paying four mana for a Knight of the Reliquary is still pretty darn nice deal. Despite popular belief however, this does not make (god forbid) Dryad Arbor playable. The card should not be wasted on turn one Llanowar Elves as this get way better in mid- and lategame. Dryad Arbor sees no play right now and for good reasons. Zentih would make it better, sure, but I am pretty sure you are playing this card wrong if you want it to be just a Llanowar Elves.

QuoteName:    Lead the Stampede
Cost:    2{G}
Rules Text:    Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal any number of creature cards from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Does elves or something want this? Hitting two guys is good, three is very good. I suspect that this could be okay, but once you play like 15 noncreature, nonland cards, this becomes rather unreliable.

QuoteName:    Praetor's Counsel
Cost:    5{G}{G}{G}
Rules Text:    Return all cards from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Praetor's Counsel. You have no maximum hand size for the rest of the game.

Well this wins with Dream Halls, but so does Conflux. Too expensive for any other deck.

QuoteName:    Thrun, the Last Troll
Cost:    2{G}{G}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Troll Shaman
Pow/Tgh:    4/4
Rules Text:    Thrun, the Last Troll can't be countered.
Thrun can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.
{1}{G}: Regenerate Thrun.

This is it. The last one of those damn trolls.

Kinda mediocre, I think. Black has more than enough removal to deal with him and rest of the colors can just chump until they find a bigger creature or Wrath. Still, can put them in tough spot even alone. Good in green aggro, especially with equipment.

QuoteName:    Viridian Emissary
Cost:    1{G}
Type:    Creature - Elf Scout
Rules Text:    When Viridian Emissary is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. If you do, shuffle your library.

Meh. I don't think this ever dies when you need it to. It's great guy to trade with, but with so many exiling removal it might never even trigger. I don't think this is playable.

Tiggupiru

- MULTICOLOR -

QuoteName:    Glissa, the Traitor
Cost:    {B}{G}{G}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Zombie Elf
Rules Text:    First strike, deathtouch

Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

Executioner's Capsule etc. Not very impressive IMO. Three mana 3/3 First Strike and Deathtouch are decent stats, but with the very restrictive mana cost and mostly irrelevant recursion ability, this will not see much play.

QuoteName:    Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
Cost:    2{U}{B}
Type:    Planeswalker - Tezzeret
Pow/Tgh:    3
Rules Text:    +1: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
-1: Target artifact becomes a 5/5 artifact creature.
-4: Target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is twice the number of artifacts you control.

You'll probably miss a lot with the first ability. It's good with SDT, though. The second ability makes a permanent change, which makes Tez a lot better, but I still think this ability isn't all that great either as it makes the artifacts more fragile and you are unable to tap them for mana or other stuff, if you plan to attack with them. 5/5's tend to end the game fast, so that is probably not such a big concern. I don't think this is a worthwhile addition to any existing deck and don't think you really want to build something around him either. I do give him the benefit of the doubt, though. He is hard to evaluate and UB likes to play with artifacts anyway, so few extra and this might not be the worst. Too bad the ultimate is really lame.

- ARTIFACT -

QuoteName:    Blightsteel Colossus
Cost:    12
Type:    Artifact Creature - Golem
Pow/Tgh:    11/11
Rules Text:    Trample, infect
Blightsteel Colossus is indestructible.
If Blightsteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Blightsteel Colossus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

A one-hit wonder. There aren't many ways to get this into play effectively, but that doesn't people for trying to Sneak Attack or Tooth & Nail this. other than inspiring some wacky (but not very good) decks, this will not see competitive play, barring some random Hypergenesis deck. It is indestructible, after all.

QuoteName:    Ichor Wellspring
Cost:    2
Type:    Artifact
Rules Text:    When Ichor Wellspring enters the battlefield or is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.

See above. Not a very good card, but some deckbuilders still try.

Spoiler alert! They will fail.

QuoteName:    Mirrorworks
Cost:    5
Rules Text:    Whenever another nontoken artifact enters the battlefield, you may pay {2}. If you do, put a token that is a copy of that artifact onto the battlefield.

There is always a possibility of a combo, but this still requires seven mana before it does anything. Does trigger when opponent plays artifacts, which I find interesting.

QuoteName:    Myr Welder
Cost:    3
Type:    Artifact Creature - Myr
Rules Text:    Imprint - {T}: Exile target artifact card from a graveyard.
Myr Welder has all activated abilities of all cards exiled with it.

Now that there is no Survival in the format, the chances of this seeing play are low. Phyrexian Devourer/Triskelion works with this, but first you need to find Fauna Shaman and keep her alive for far too long. Eventually they could print something that make this a viable combo card, but I don't think any of the current ones are fast enough.

QuoteName:    Phyrexian Revoker
Type:    Artifact Creature - Horror
Rules Text:    As Phyrexian Revoker enters the battlefield, name a nonland card.
Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name can't be activated.

Decent Pithing Needle variant for aggressive decks. Almost too easy to remove, though. Also, do note that it hits mana abilities, but not lands. So, Thran Dynamo is fair game, but Wasteland is not.

QuoteName:    Piston Sledge
Type:    Artifact - Equipment
Rules Text:    When Piston Sledge enters the battlefield, attach it to target creature you control.
Equipped creature gets +3/+1.
Equip - Sacrifice an artifact.

This is practically an aura. I don't see an aura that gives a measily +3/+1 to be playable.

Well, yes. There is an equip cost, but it's a trap!

QuoteName:    Shimmer Myr
Type:    Creature - Myr
Rules Text:    Flash
You may cast artifact cards as though they had flash.

I don't think this effect is worth of a card. Cute, but not very powerful.

QuoteName:    Signal Pest
Cost:    1
Type:    Artifact Creature - Pest
Pow/Tgh:    0/1

Signal Pest can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.

PV said it all: This is not a one drop. And this is a really bad three drop.

QuoteName:    Silverskin Armor
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and is an artifact in addition to its other types.

Equip {2}

I endured Mythic Rares, I got over the M10 rules changes, but I will never forgive wizards to waste such a great art with card so bad. :(

QuoteName:    Spine of Ish Sah
Cost:    7
Rules Text:    When Spine of Ish Sah enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent.
When Spine of Ish Sah is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return Spine of Ish Sah to its owner's hand.

Add Master Transmuter and you have a Vindicate on a stick. On a second though, play actual spells instead.

QuoteName:    Sword of Feast and Famine
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from black and from green.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card and you untap all lands you control.
Equip {2}

For the HL purposes, I think this is slightly better than Body and Mind, but that is not enough to make this playable. This is really good if opponent is tapped out on turn four or five and you have a creature that is going to connet. You know, like the other swords as well. But, hitting them for a card, extra damge and still being able to play something afterwards is very good. I guess white aggro with couple of ways to find this can find use for this, but this probably is too bad of a topdeck to see play.

QuoteName:    Thopter Assembly
Cost:    6
Type:    Artifact Creature - Thopter
Pow/Tgh:    5/5

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control no Thopters other than Thopter Assembly, return Thopter Assembly to its owner's hand and put five 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.

Cute with Time Sieve, but unimpressive otherwise. I am not writing this unplayble as of yet, but I suspect after few test games I'll put this into a binder where it stays for a long time.

QuoteName:    Titan Forge
Rules Text:    {3},{T}: Put a charge counter on Titan Forge.
{T}, Remove three charge counters from Titan Forge: Put a 9/9 colorless Golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield.

Twelve mana 9/9? Despite the fact that you get the next one with a discount, I think I'll pass.

- LAND -

QuoteName:    Contested Warzone
Type:    Land
Rules Text:    Whenever you are dealt combat damage by a creature, that creature's controller gains control of Contested Warzone.
{T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
{1}, (T): Attacking creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn.

Cool drawback. Too bad the card is not nearly good enough to see play, though.

QuoteName:    Inkmoth Nexus
Rules Text:    {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
{1}: Inkmoth Nexus becomes a 1/1 Blinkmoth artifact creature with flying and infect until end of turn. It's still a land. (It deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)

I see no potential with this. I don't like infect, especially when it makes 40% of the whole set straight up unplayble in HL.

Kristian

I pretty much agree with everything you've written in your posts. Still gonna try Viridian Emissary in my deck though ^^
There can be only one!

so_not

I just want to point out that Massacre Wurm is definitely playable and that next time we play in the same tournament I will be attacking with Dryad Arbor :) (or Tezzerated signets)

Also Cryptoplasm is so cool but undoubtedly bad :(

Tiggupiru

Quote from: so_not on 28-01-2011, 04:04:45 PM
I just want to point out that Massacre Wurm is definitely playable and that next time we play in the same tournament I will be attacking with Dryad Arbor :) (or Tezzerated signets)

Massacre Wurm is not bad, but it's outclassed by Grave Titan and Wurmcoil Engine. And is good against decks that heavy black decks have more than enough answers to. I am unsure if there ever is need to play it.

If you use the Zenith to find that Arbor, I promise not to block.

Tiggupiru

Been a while. Mostly because I didn't want to rush things to form a better opinion from the cards on the list. Also, I was quite off with a couple of cards, so meh :)

-- WHITE --

QuoteName:    Accorder Paladin
Cost:    1{W}
Pow/Tgh:    3/1

Decent guy for aggressive token decks, but I doubt this is something WW or other aggro decks want.

I think I was correct what comes to this. It's just too fragile and good enough only when you are attacking for lethal or when the board is empty.

QuoteName:    Hero of Bladehold
Cost:    2{W}{W}
Pow/Tgh:    3/4

Whenever Hero of Bladehold attacks, put two 1/1 white soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.

Again, the aforementioned token decks can find this useful, but 4 mana is probably too much for a guy that doesn't do anything until he swings.

It has seen play in standard, but I am still not entirely convinced. It's really good if it survives, but four mana is a lot. Good in tokens and probably in WW. That deck really needs cards like these to top the curve.

QuoteName:    Mirran Crusader
Cost:    1{W}{W}
Rules Text:    Double strike, protection from black and from green

I remember the time when I played Paladin en-vec. Such innocent times. That being said, this is very solid beater and goes well with equipment, namely Sword of Fire and Ice. I might need to put Steelshaper's Gift back to my WW.

Definitely not restricted to WW. Very good beats and protection from green is so very important. Noble Hierarch + this is just so problematic on it's own and unkillable with black spells (including Dismember). Equip him and you have really sick beats that require immediate answer.

QuoteName:    White Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{W}{W}{W}
Rules Text:    Put X 2/2 Cat creature tokens onto the battlefield. Shuffle White Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

Probably too restrictive and expensive, but the power is still there. With six mana, you get six power as an instant, which is not a bad deal and anything more than that is a bonus.

Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination. Triple white is really lame on it's own and being instant isn't as important as it used to be.

- BLUE -

QuoteName:    Consecrated Sphinx
Cost:    4{U}{U}
Type:    Creature - Sphinx
Pow/Tgh:    4/6
Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may draw two cards.

Really needs to have a flash or something to be even consider as playable. Too many things need to go right for you to get value and with six mana, you really should get value right away.

How off can I be? This is the blue Titan. Frosty just doesn't cut for the most decks, but this should. Untapping with this is game over and just by being a hard-to-kill (and must to kill) Mulldrifter is perfectly fine.

QuoteName:    Neurok Commando
Type:    Creature - Human Rogue
Rules Text:    Shroud
Whenever Neurok Commando deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.

This can be really, really annoying against midrange or control decks not running many utility guys. Nothing too spectacular, but nice Ophidian variant.

I kinda like this, but the lack of evasion is too problematic when there are so many green decks that play mana elfs around. Shame about really, I like drawing cards.

QuoteName:    Oculus
Cost:    1{U}
Type:    Creature - Homunculus
Pow/Tgh:    1/1
Rules Text:    When Oculus is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card.

Could see play theoretically. Needs a buttload of synergy, but it shines when it can trade with savannah lions.

Not going to happen. Even with super-synergies. Way too weak.

QuoteName:    Treasure Mage
Type:    Creature - Human Wizard
Rules Text:    When Treasure Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 6 or greater, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

I am really happy that they made this card. Powerful, sure. But only in decks that aren't a problem. I suspect this seeing play every once in a while fetching Mindslavers and Wurmcoil Engines. Not an universal inclusion as his smaller brother, but playable.

I still like the card and still rate him about the same as I rated before.

-- BLACK --

QuoteName:    Black Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{B}{B}
Rules Text:    Put X -1/-1 counters on each creature. Shuffle Black Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

I'm still rather unsure. Five mana does decimate the board pretty well, but it might not be enough to put you out of harm's way. It really feels like a card that is good against decks that black control already crushes, if it wants to. But then again, it's a respectable sweeper.

I do think it's really, really good in UB that plays ThopterSword along with all the two mana transmute spells. This allows you to have like four sweepers in the price of one, and that makes this unbelievably valuable, even better than Damnation in that deck IMO. Because it also shuffles back, it can be fetched for encore too. Beseech the Queen also finds this in turn three, which makes both cards better.

Not better than Damnation in any deck. This is still a five mana wrath that is just too slow. Being able to tutor this up easily is kinda relevant, but not relevant enough to stamp this as a playable. Stick with spot removal and you should be better off.

QuoteName:    Go for the Throat
Cost:    1{B}
Rules Text:    Destroy target nonartifact creature.

Slightly better than Doom Blade in HL. So, playable.

The black removal spell of choice for me today. Followed closely by Dismember and Doom Blade.

QuoteName:    Gruesome Encore
Cost:    2{B}
Rules Text:    Put target creature card from an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If that creature would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else.

I'm not sure what kind of deck would want this, but it's not too bad. Just hope opponent is playing reanimator.

Yes it is bad. The jokes about this card are even worse and I have no idea how that is even possible.

- RED -

QuoteName:    Goblin Wardriver
Cost:    {R}{R}
Type:    Creature - Goblin Warrior

I think Goblins want this and I think this is really good there, but I don't know the deck well enough make absolute claims.

Finally something I was right about. :)

QuoteName:    Hero of Oxid Ridge
Cost:    2{R}{R}
Pow/Tgh:    4/2
Rules Text:    Haste
Battle cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)
Whenever Hero of Oxid Ridge attacks, creatures with power 1 or less can't block this turn.

Not too shabby, little random perhaps, but that's what usually gets you in HL. Stats are okay, haste and battle cry alone makes this playable in RG or RW, IMO. The last ability can make some Walls and utility creatures very unhappy (or very happy, as they probably prefer to live).

Hey, I got another one. This is indeed very playable.

QuoteName:    Red Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{R}
Rules Text:    Red Sun's Zenith deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead. Shuffle Red Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

The good thing about this card is that when you cast a red X-spell, you usually want to cast more of them, making this a solid card to draw. Other than the minor upside, this isn't that exciting, and not good enough to be in decks that don't normally plan on casting red X's.

Yeah. Not very good. We have too many better options to make sure this won't see any play.

QuoteName:    Slagstorm
Cost:    1{R}{R}
Rules Text:    Choose one - Slagstorm deals 3 damage to each creature; or Slagstorm deals 3 damage to each player.

Sweet sweeper that also can take out planeswalkers or finish the deed? Very nice. Double red does make this impossible to just to splash, but it still pretty nice in r/X -controls.

I like this. Not exciting, but cheap wraths are worth it sometimes. Restricted to small number of decks, but a solid player when needed. Haven't used the "3 to all players" -mode yet, but there is still time.

- GREEN-

QuoteName:    Green Sun's Zenith
Cost:    X{G}
Rules Text:    Search your library for a green creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Shuffle Green Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.

Oh wow. This should be in every green deck that runs creatures. One mana more is prefectly reasonable to pay for such versatility. And besides, paying four mana for a Knight of the Reliquary is still pretty darn nice deal. Despite popular belief however, this does not make (god forbid) Dryad Arbor playable. The card should not be wasted on turn one Llanowar Elves as this get way better in mid- and lategame. Dryad Arbor sees no play right now and for good reasons. Zentih would make it better, sure, but I am pretty sure you are playing this card wrong if you want it to be just a Llanowar Elves.

Despite my horrible man crush to all green acceleration, I failed to see the Dryad Arbor being very legitimate target to this card. I still hate to draw the little bugger, but at least I can fetch for a creature now. And first turn Llanowar Elves is still very, very good.

And what comes to Zenith itself, it's quite sick. Arbor just makes it a hell of a lot better.

QuoteName:    Lead the Stampede
Cost:    2{G}
Rules Text:    Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal any number of creature cards from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Does elves or something want this? Hitting two guys is good, three is very good. I suspect that this could be okay, but once you play like 15 noncreature, nonland cards, this becomes rather unreliable.

The numbers are probably never right for this to see play. Green just has too many good noncreature cards so playing this instead of them is just plain wrong.

QuoteName:    Praetor's Counsel
Cost:    5{G}{G}{G}
Rules Text:    Return all cards from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Praetor's Counsel. You have no maximum hand size for the rest of the game.

Well this wins with Dream Halls, but so does Conflux. Too expensive for any other deck.

Rereading what I said is weird. I meant that this is only good in Dream Halls, but they already have Conlux, so no need to play green cards in the deck.

QuoteName:    Thrun, the Last Troll
Cost:    2{G}{G}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Troll Shaman
Pow/Tgh:    4/4
Rules Text:    Thrun, the Last Troll can't be countered.
Thrun can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.
{1}{G}: Regenerate Thrun.

This is it. The last one of those damn trolls.

Kinda mediocre, I think. Black has more than enough removal to deal with him and rest of the colors can just chump until they find a bigger creature or Wrath. Still, can put them in tough spot even alone. Good in green aggro, especially with equipment.

Very mediocre. I usually don't play this, but there are decks I put this in and it's kinda okay there. Four mana is just too close to six and the Titans and other powerful stuff that mana can bring, so this gets outclassed pretty quick usually.

QuoteName:    Viridian Emissary
Cost:    1{G}
Type:    Creature - Elf Scout
Rules Text:    When Viridian Emissary is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. If you do, shuffle your library.

Meh. I don't think this ever dies when you need it to. It's great guy to trade with, but with so many exiling removal it might never even trigger. I don't think this is playable.

Should still be true. I've gotten to test this properly and it's not good. They just don't attack or block this early in the game and later it's not an ability that matters.

Tiggupiru

- MULTICOLOR -

QuoteName:    Glissa, the Traitor
Cost:    {B}{G}{G}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Zombie Elf
Rules Text:    First strike, deathtouch

Whenever a creature an opponent controls is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

Executioner's Capsule etc. Not very impressive IMO. Three mana 3/3 First Strike and Deathtouch are decent stats, but with the very restrictive mana cost and mostly irrelevant recursion ability, this will not see much play.

Haven't seen this played yet and been thinking about it, but there just haven't been such a bizarre conditions for Glissa to really shine. I guess if you just plan to use her as a beater, she can get the job done. She also has some tribal synergiesh, so focus on those and forget it has a triggered ability and she is kinda okay? Really not sure.

QuoteName:    Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
Cost:    2{U}{B}
Type:    Planeswalker - Tezzeret
Pow/Tgh:    3
Rules Text:    +1: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
-1: Target artifact becomes a 5/5 artifact creature.
-4: Target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is twice the number of artifacts you control.

You'll probably miss a lot with the first ability. It's good with SDT, though. The second ability makes a permanent change, which makes Tez a lot better, but I still think this ability isn't all that great either as it makes the artifacts more fragile and you are unable to tap them for mana or other stuff, if you plan to attack with them. 5/5's tend to end the game fast, so that is probably not such a big concern. I don't think this is a worthwhile addition to any existing deck and don't think you really want to build something around him either. I do give him the benefit of the doubt, though. He is hard to evaluate and UB likes to play with artifacts anyway, so few extra and this might not be the worst. Too bad the ultimate is really lame.

I like this in 60-card formats and been sticking him to HL from time to time, but even the best results with him have been mediocreish. Mostly he just revelas signets na dtalismans, so the first ability is not really very good. Turning those signets into 5/5 dorks is, but I am not convinced it's worth the time and effort. I still keep trying though, as I think he is cool and all.

- ARTIFACT -

QuoteName:    Blightsteel Colossus
Cost:    12
Type:    Artifact Creature - Golem
Pow/Tgh:    11/11
Rules Text:    Trample, infect
Blightsteel Colossus is indestructible.
If Blightsteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Blightsteel Colossus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

A one-hit wonder. There aren't many ways to get this into play effectively, but that doesn't people for trying to Sneak Attack or Tooth & Nail this. other than inspiring some wacky (but not very good) decks, this will not see competitive play, barring some random Hypergenesis deck. It is indestructible, after all.

Yeah. Emrakul is just a better choice, but in Hypergenesis, this is good.

QuoteName:    Ichor Wellspring
Rules Text:    When Ichor Wellspring enters the battlefield or is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.

See above. Not a very good card, but some deckbuilders still try.

Spoiler alert! They will fail.

I have tried and tried, but no avail. Should have read the spoiler, I guess.

QuoteName:    Myr Welder
Type:    Artifact Creature - Myr
Rules Text:    Imprint - {T}: Exile target artifact card from a graveyard.
Myr Welder has all activated abilities of all cards exiled with it.

Now that there is no Survival in the format, the chances of this seeing play are low. Phyrexian Devourer/Triskelion works with this, but first you need to find Fauna Shaman and keep her alive for far too long. Eventually they could print something that make this a viable combo card, but I don't think any of the current ones are fast enough.

Even when we now have Buried Alive, it's just better to reanimate than toy with this. Unplayable.

QuoteName:    Phyrexian Revoker
Type:    Artifact Creature - Horror
Rules Text:    As Phyrexian Revoker enters the battlefield, name a nonland card.
Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name can't be activated.

Decent Pithing Needle variant for aggressive decks. Almost too easy to remove, though. Also, do note that it hits mana abilities, but not lands. So, Thran Dynamo is fair game, but Wasteland is not.

Too weak. Valiant effort, but the all important small stats combined with ability that is very mediocre is not a winning combination.

QuoteName:    Signal Pest
Cost:    1
Type:    Artifact Creature - Pest
Pow/Tgh:    0/1

Signal Pest can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.

PV said it all: This is not a one drop. And this is a really bad three drop.

Despite getting played in Affinity and Tempered Steel, this is still just a very bad card in HL.

QuoteName:    Sword of Feast and Famine
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from black and from green.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card and you untap all lands you control.
Equip {2}

For the HL purposes, I think this is slightly better than Body and Mind, but that is not enough to make this playable. This is really good if opponent is tapped out on turn four or five and you have a creature that is going to connect. You know, like the other swords as well. But, hitting them for a card, extra damage and still being able to play something afterwards is very good. I guess white aggro with couple of ways to find this can find use for this, but this probably is too bad of a topdeck to see play.

Heh. The best sword is slightly better than Body and Mind? It is good, very good. In decks with Stoneforge, I play Fire and Ice with F&F, but in decks without, I usually prefer just this if any. In Legacy it has been the only sword they play for a while and with a good reason. Like Mirran Crusader, the protections are just too good to pass. Both abilities are also very relevant. They either lose a guy that chumps, or they lose a card from their hand and you get to play more stuff than you would normally be allowed.

QuoteName:    Thopter Assembly
Cost:    6
Type:    Artifact Creature - Thopter
Pow/Tgh:    5/5

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control no Thopters other than Thopter Assembly, return Thopter Assembly to its owner's hand and put five 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.

Cute with Time Sieve, but unimpressive otherwise. I am not writing this unplayble as of yet, but I suspect after few test games I'll put this into a binder where it stays for a long time.

Haven't opened one, so it's not sitting in my binder. Everything else I said was true.

- LAND -

QuoteName:    Contested Warzone
Rules Text:    Whenever you are dealt combat damage by a creature, that creature's controller gains control of Contested Warzone.
{T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
{1}, (T): Attacking creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn.

Cool drawback. Too bad the card is not nearly good enough to see play, though.

Still don't play this anywhere, but it's better than I originally gave credit for.