Main Menu

Banned List - Comparison different HL formats

Started by Vazdru, 24-01-2011, 11:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Comparison of both Banned Lists Highlander and Singleton.

Just cards available in both formats:

HIGHLANDER      SINGLETON   
   Balance      Balance   
   NO      Crucible of Worlds   
   NO      Demonic Tutor   
   Buried Alive      NO   
   Cephalid Illusionist      NO   
   Dread Return      NO   
   Enlightened Tutor      NO   
   Entomb      NO   
   Fastbond      Fastbond   
   Flash      Flash   
   Grindstone      NO   
   NO      Gifts Ungiven   
   Imperial Seal      Imperial Seal   
   NO      Intuition   
   Life from the Loam      Life from the Loam   
   Library of Alexandria      Library of Alexandria   
   Lion's Eye Diamond      Lions Eye Diamond   
   Mana Crypt      Mana Crypt   
   Mana Vault      Mana Vault   
   Memory Jar      NO   
   Mind Twist      Mind Twist   
   NO      Regrowth   
   Mystical Tutor      NO   
   Skullclamp      Skullclamp   
   NO      Senseis Divining Top   
   Sol Ring      Sol Ring   
   Strip Mine      Strip Mine   
   Survival of the Fittest      Survival of the Fittest   
   Time Vault      Time Vault   
   Tinker      Tinker   
   Tolarian Academy      Tolarian Academy   
   Trinisphere      NO   
   Umezawa's Jitte      Umezawas Jitte   
   Vampiric Tutor      Vampiric Tutor   
   Wheel of Fortune      Wheel of Fortune   
   Yawgmoth's Will      NO   

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

coldcrow

Memory Jar could be safe to come off, although the effect is inherently not fair :)

Mythrandir

yawg will not banned? interesting.

well, the fact that there is sideboard and a different mull rule probably alters it a bit.

Also, i have no exp in MTGO, but do you encounter the best-deck possible? or do deck builds try to go a bit "peasant"?

so_not

Well Yawgmoth's Will could be easily unbanned without much effect. On the other hand I don't know what the hell were they thinking when they banned Regrowth and Top in Singleton. Regrowth is only any good with Gifts/Intuition which both are already banned and the only reason I can think Top getting hammered is that it takes quite a lot of time to operate with it properly some times which is hardly an issue online.

pyyhttu

Quote from: so notWell Yawgmoth's Will could be easily unbanned without much effect.

Could you elaborate on this? Because I heard quite an opposite opinion from some other prolific player recently.

Mythrandir

Quote from: pyyhttu on 27-01-2011, 06:53:34 PM
Quote from: so notWell Yawgmoth's Will could be easily unbanned without much effect.

Could you elaborate on this? Because I heard quite an opposite opinion from some other prolific player recently.

Indeed. yawg Will, even in non-combo is incredible powerful, and combo would only abuse this.

And yes, regrowth ban is silly.

so_not

Well maybe I'm just stupid but I don't really see how Will would be a problem. What does it do in non-combo? Even in combo there are no moxen, lotus, led and only a few rituals. Storm combos are so bad that it wouldn't hurt to give them some tools. Are you afraid that High Tide would splash black for Demonic and Will? Wouldn't that be cool!

Nastaboi

So_not is right. Will could be played in some combo decks but it would make them only marginally better. It could be played in control, too, but most of time it will just be overpriced Regrowth. It would decide drawn-out control matches there and then, but at that point any good topdeck would. Storm combos built to abuse it would be mediocre at best. The bright side is, one could play it in MBC.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tiggupiru

Yawgmoth's Will, eh? I guess I could throw my two cents in the mix. I think it's really powerful with cards that aren't good, unless you play combo (rituals, most of the one mana library manipulation cards... etc.). It would give TPS one huge bomb to use in conjunction with their rituals, which is not a problem. Plus it's a friggin' sweet card and very cool to play with. In favor of unbanning.

Since we are comparing the two formats, I'd also like to point out that Enlightened and Mystical are unbanned in singleton... Pretty please? With a sugar on top?

coldcrow

I am with the pro-will faction. As tiggupiru said, will is broken with cheap mana acceleration, which we don't have in HL besides the rituals. that would give my beloved TPS a little push, but as you can see pattern, aluren and other combo decks reliably end the game in the first 3-5 turns if unmolested and TPS is not faster at all. Turn 4-5 I'd probably say since the main combo needs more mana or specific cards (rituals). also the sacland version of tps is highly vulnerable to nonbasic hate.

On the other hand mana-ramp decks get another very good sorcery, but since will is reliant on tutors you might have casted before I doubt it will break them.

Mystical + Will I wouldn't allow :) MT can get will, and in the will turn you can cast MT + cantrip into whatever you want to get. That would probably boost TPS.

derStefan82

I'm pro will as well, I don't think we have much combo decks which can abuse it really hard, lot's of combo stuff is banned like before said tutors/led/comboparts and we don't have this big fastmana problems. Overall it's a really nice card which would give some weak decks a bit of push. I think memory jar is another candidate to think about could be testet.
If we look at the last few highlanderevents with bigger coveragelist (hanau, mannheim) the most abused card at the moment is Natural Order, many decks are possible to run it and it wins lots of games. I think with Bribery there is an answer availible but should be watched because it's nearly a one card no-brainer with big winoption.

Kristian

I like the idea of it being unbanned, would leave me with an excuse to get it after all :D
There can be only one!

God_of_War

I think Will and Memory Jar should come of the list, they aint too powerful.
Why is Enlightened Tutor banned btw? I mean it's a good tutor, but its best target (SotF) is banned,
so imo it shouldnt be banned. (I mean DT is legal...c'mon...)

pyyhttu

Enlightened Tutor has been explained here: http://magicplayer.org/#blcs709
Don't think a translation exists.

Kristian

Quote from: pyyhttu on 30-01-2011, 12:02:24 AM
Enlightened Tutor has been explained here: http://magicplayer.org/#blcs709
Don't think a translation exists.
Google translate:
QuoteWenn es zuletzt Signale gab, dass Karten im Format problematisch sind, so waren dies unserer Meinung nach vor allem drei Verzauberungen: Survival of the Fittest, Back to Basics und Blood Moon, wie auch ein Artefakt: Winter Orb. Diese Karten entschieden in den letzten Monaten mit Abstand die meisten Spiele. Die Turnierergebnisse der letzten Monate zeigten dies ebenso wie die persönlichen Erfahrungen der Ratsmitglieder. Da jedoch alle drei Karten derzeit als wichtig für die Balance des Formates erachtet werden, haben wir uns entschieden, den für diese Karten allerbesten Tutor aus dem Format zu verbannen. Ebenfalls haben wir das Unbanning von Mystical Tutor erwogen und diskutiert, waren jedoch einhellig der Meinung, dass Mystical Tutor nicht gut für das Format ist. Allein die Vorstellung, das Mystical im Stax je nach Situation am Ende des generischen Turns (!) Armageddon, Wildfire, Upheaval, Mind Twist oder Gifts Ungiven findet, dürfte deutlich genug machen, dass Mystical viel zu gut ist.

If it were modified signals that size cards are problematic, so these were our opinion, three main Enchantments: Survival of the Fittest, Back to Basics, Blood Moon, as well as an artifact: Winter Orb. These cards held in recent months by far the most games. Tournament results in recent months have seen this as well as the personal experiences of council members. However, since all three cards are currently regarded as important for the balance of the format, we have decided to banish the very best Tutor for these cards from the format. We also have the Unbanning of Mystical Tutor considered and discussed, however, were unanimously of the opinion that Mystical Tutor is not good for the format. But the idea that the Mystical in the Stax depending on the situation at the end of the generic Turns (!) Armageddon, Wild Fire, Upheaval, Mind Twist and Gifts by Ungiven, should make it clear enough that Mystical is too good.
There can be only one!