Main Menu

Green Sun's Zenith

Started by coldcrow, 24-01-2011, 03:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldcrow

XG : Search Library for a creature card and put it onto the BF. Shuffle ~ into your library.

I am pretty much disgusted by this card. Its powerlevel is obscene in anything besides vintage and even there elves combo can play it.
Basically:
1) 1 mana rampant growth with dryad arbor
2) utility tutor for pridemage, witness etc.
3) finisher for elves, ramp decks, U/G/x control/aggro

This thing is just never a dead card and any decks running creatures must have a good reason not to splash green now (even less than up to now).

Kristian

Yeah, it is a powerful tool in the right decks. I am considering wether or not I should be running it in my Etb abuse deck.
There can be only one!

obojetnik

I agree it's pretty powerful tutor, but not really broken, since it is limited to green creature cards... so pretty much powerful in elves and maybe U/G aggro/control

GoblinPiledriver

Green Sun's Zenith     XG
Sorcery    Rare
Search your library for a green creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Shuffle Green Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.
As the green sun crowned, Phyrexian prophecies glowed on the Tree of Tales.
Illus. David Rapoza #81/155

It's really limited to green creatures, so it's really strong but not broken. Not like Natural Order which is definetly broken, which is demonstrated by all the Progenitus playing decks.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

coldcrow

Yes, green. I knew that but forgot it to include in my post.
What I am getting at is the multifunctionality which will make this an allstar. Especially the interaction with Dryad Arbor and 1-2 mana utility creats. The finishing capability is just the icing on the cake.

Kristian

While the "only green creatures" is a limit, it's still powerful. I've looked through my deck to see which possible targets there are (some more viable than others):

For stopping aggro:
Kitchen Finks
Loxodon Hierarch
Obstinate Baloth

Mana ramp:
Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Yavimaya Dryad
Woodelves

Other fun:
Wall of blossoms
Qasali Pridemage
Eternal Witness
Acidic Slime

In general quite nice, but I think elves will benefit more from it.
There can be only one!

Tabris

I am excited about the black zenith, since its now possible to search for one more wrath effect with muddle and shred memory in UB-control like in UW martial coup was tutorable with muddle.

Kristian

Hadn't thought of that! Nice!
There can be only one!

pyyhttu

Quote from: coldcrowI am pretty much disgusted by this card. Its powerlevel is obscene in anything besides vintage and even there elves combo can play it.

Quote from: KristianYeah, it is a powerful tool in the right decks.

Sounds almost as if Survival's ban was spot on.

But this is a good card. Tells something if I want to try it out with crap like Starved Rusalka in Pattern Rector. After all, there aren't many viable targets to choose from.

Mythrandir

pretty good, but limited to green, and it can't be abused for preognitus or other stuff.
but still pretty powerful.

I'm more annyoed at the living weapon thingy on equipments... seriously..

Kristian

Quote from: pyyhttu on 24-01-2011, 06:54:55 PM
Quote from: coldcrowI am pretty much disgusted by this card. Its powerlevel is obscene in anything besides vintage and even there elves combo can play it.

Quote from: KristianYeah, it is a powerful tool in the right decks.

Sounds almost as if Survival's ban was spot on.

But this is a good card. Tells something if I want to try it out with crap like Starved Rusalka in Pattern Rector. After all, there aren't many viable targets to choose from.
Powerful does not necessarily mean that it's too powerful/ban worthy. Don't know about Survival of the Fittest. I could probably have played it in my deck had I made it before it got banned though I never really got to encounter it. It's probably good, but how good? Depends on the local meta.

Why are you linking to a search with creatures that can be sacrificed?
There can be only one!

GoblinPiledriver

What is wrong with Living Weapon?
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

pyyhttu

Quote from: KristianWhy are you linking to a search with creatures that can be sacrificed?

Linked to the search results when checked the following:

In Pattern Rector there aren't many good green sacrifice outlets for Protean Hulk (Ravenous Baloth excluded), so adding one cheap Starved Rusalka just for Green Sun's Zenith is worth a try. Works with Ranger of Eos, too.

coldcrow

I think you didn't get my point. I do not compare this to Survival. I compare it to Llanowar Elf (specifically in our format).

Plenty of decks run BoP, Hierarch etc. This card + D. Arbor is functionally equal (sans colourfixing), but not a terrible topdeck mid/lategame. This means Zenith is more powerful than those cards, and there we go WotC creaturepush and a staple forever.

Mythrandir

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 24-01-2011, 08:57:17 PM
What is wrong with Living Weapon?

nothing wrong, i just don't like! Preferences, opinions... i think it could have done a lot more flavourful. :)