Main Menu

100c Singleton B&R update Nov 19, 2010

Started by obojetnik, 24-11-2010, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obojetnik

I'm sure most of you noticed that Banned and Restricted list on modo's highlander variant - 100-card singleton changed recently. Some bannings are unsurprising as they come from the release of Master's Edition IV, other cards that got the axe are Mind Twist and Surival - both of which are banned in highlander too. I would like to hear your opinion on ban of Regrowth and Sensei's Divining Top. In my opinion - Regrowth ban is just very harsh and irrational and I will skip it. What interests me though is banning of the Top. Have you considered banning it too? Although I don't think the Top is banworthy, truth is, that it can prolong games in real life (which is quite irrelevant on online, where we have chess clock, but whatever...) and provides substantial advantage and in-depth look to a library for player with Top (combined with fetchlands and other shuffling effects of course). Other pro-ban reasonings can be in its low manacost, the fact it is very difficult to get rid of it and also the fact that it is almost autoinclude in vast majority of the decks (maybe except in some pure aggro builds like goblins etc.), therefore making it virtually 99-cards singleton. Almost forgot to append original annoucement, it is here.

Tiggupiru

Regrowth? Seriously? I have no idea what the the people responsible for the bannings want the format to be, but Regrowth is not a card that should be banned. If there are cards that make Regrowth good enough to be banned (Hello, Gifts Ungiven), the problem might be elsewhere.

Sensei's Divining Top is not powerful enough to be worth banning, nor the prolonging of the games should be a factor since it's an one-of. The card is good, but it doesn't decide games by itself. Only reasonable argument I can think of, is the fact it's an artifact and should be in almost any deck not being extremely aggressive. Banning Top for that reason alone does however does raise the question if all cards that gain popularity should be banned and where to draw the line on that. I don't think Wasteland should be banned, but it's just as much autoinclude as STD (as are the fetchlands, which also make the Top wayyyy better, but that is a whole different argument).

So, I really don't think HL wants either of these bans.