Main Menu

WotC: new MtG Commander

Started by grizzledmage, 02-12-2010, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzledmage

I'm sure most of you have seen the announcement from WotC on their new EDH Commander stuff:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/119k

Speculation on how/if this will impact the original Highlander format?

pyyhttu

No impact.

...Unless some of the 51 cards spread in the $34.99 SRP decks are playable in our format.

...And that same card is a mythic that breaks legacy with everyone there needing multiple copies. But I doubt that will happen.

Mythrandir

Quote from: grizzledmage on 02-12-2010, 03:42:46 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen the announcement from WotC on their new EDH Commander stuff:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/119k

Speculation on how/if this will impact the original Highlander format?

I'm wondering if the council will have these new 51 cards legal in our format or no...  Will these new 51 cards appear in the next expansions? Because even if there's a single playable card in there, it will be hard to get... =/

edited:

Karador, Ghost Chieftain 5bgw
Legendary Creature - Centaur Spirit (M)
Karador, Ghost Chieftain costs 1 less to cast for each creature card in your graveyard.
During each of your turns, you may cast one creature card from your graveyard.
"Death tried to uncrown me. But now I return, king of a greater realm."
3/4

won't break anything, but still interesting card

Tiggupiru

Since these will be incredibly hard to get your hands on, it's pretty annoying if Wizards won't print these in future sets. Since these cards won't be standard legal, people will buy less product. Meaning, there are only few to go around, unless some of them are playable in eternal. And that is even worse. I guess the best thing that would happen for HL and eternal formats is that all of them are unplayable in tournament scene. Judging by the first few cards, this is indeed the case, but there is always a possibility of some sick combo that nobody foresaw.

All in all, I really hate for them to release this kind of product. It's not like fifty or so cards couldn't be fillers in actual sets over couple of blocks without hurting anyone. Besides, I predict there will be several cards I would want to draft for. And I really don't want to buy this just for getting few fun cube cards.

Maqi

I personally am looking forward to those decks. Wizards embracing the HL format is mostly a good thing in my opinion.
I hope however this won't negatively impact the european HL scene, since newcomers might rather be inclined to start with MtG Commander than our commanderless version (which I deem vastly superior).

Mythrandir

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 04-12-2010, 10:13:00 PM
Since these will be incredibly hard to get your hands on, it's pretty annoying if Wizards won't print these in future sets. Since these cards won't be standard legal, people will buy less product. Meaning, there are only few to go around, unless some of them are playable in eternal. And that is even worse. I guess the best thing that would happen for HL and eternal formats is that all of them are unplayable in tournament scene. Judging by the first few cards, this is indeed the case, but there is always a possibility of some sick combo that nobody foresaw.

All in all, I really hate for them to release this kind of product. It's not like fifty or so cards couldn't be fillers in actual sets over couple of blocks without hurting anyone. Besides, I predict there will be several cards I would want to draft for. And I really don't want to buy this just for getting few fun cube cards.

SO true! Let's hope they're previews if things to come, otherwise, it will feel very ackward. To have such a small print of these...

Tabris

the fact I am most excited about are the three colour cards. I dont know if they just print three colour generals, but if they would print more cards like warportal, lavalanche, Jenara, Lightning Angel, Sedrix Specter etc. I would realy appreciate that. Most of them are just for casual use but I like these three-colour spells.

But I absolutly agree with maqi. Its quite nice if wizards supports somehow the "highlander" format but if ppl start playing more EDH (I will call it this way since its based on a general) instead of HL I guess thats no good news for the local scene. On the plus side, if ppl want to get competetive on the Hl format they can allways come to us and start playing real magic :D:D:D

Nastaboi

I'd say these cards should be legal on principle, and am very sure there will be no must-haves for highlander dueler.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 06-12-2010, 05:11:58 PM
I'd say these cards should be legal on principle, and am very sure there will be no must-haves for highlander dueler.

From what we gt so far, it's seems it will be mostly multiplayer oriented, which means in our format won't have a big impact. But 51 cards are 51 cards, lets hope they won't pull a tarmogoy situation in there!