Main Menu

Season XI - brainstorming

Started by Vazdru, 10-11-2010, 09:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

any suggestions, proposals or just thoughts to Season XI?

should we change anything?

pairings?, price-pool?, schedule/time-table?, responsibilities?

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 10-11-2010, 09:26:39 AM
any suggestions, proposals or just thoughts to Season XI?

should we change anything?

pairings?, price-pool?, schedule/time-table?, responsibilities?

Instead of the pairings we are using now, how about: each player has to play eachother player once, and only once. So for example 13 players in a season, means 12 games for all players, no repeats, whatsoever.
My problem with this is, if a player drops and he has already played some matches, are those matches (already played) annuled?

Vazdru

Quote from: Mythrandir on 10-11-2010, 07:55:36 PM
My problem with this is, if a player drops and he has already played some matches, are those matches (already played) annuled?

No, of course not. Would be crazy if already played matches are canceled afterwards.

Instead of the pairings we are using now, how about: each player has to play eachother player once, and only once. So for example 13 players in a season, means 12 games for all players, no repeats, whatsoever.

How to handle following "problems":
a) We usually have more than 13 players at the beginning of a season (~ 20) -> too many games to play, I would like to have a max of 15 matches in one Season (~ 12 weeks)
b) How can everyone reach the same number of matches if people drop at different points of time?

Btw. Does anyone know how to avoid that high number of inactive members (who do not drop on their own) each season? Player A signs in, is playing some games and doesn't show up again afterwards. I do not like that "benchmark-system" and league-exclusions very much.  

Far below the earth

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 10-11-2010, 10:15:10 PM

No, of course not. Would be crazy if already played matches are canceled afterwards.

How to handle following "problems":
a) We usually have more than 13 players at the beginning of a season (~ 20) -> too many games to play, I would like to have a max of 15 matches in one Season (~ 12 weeks)
b) How can everyone reach the same number of matches if people drop at different points of time?

Btw. Does anyone know how to avoid that high number of inactive members (who do not drop on their own) each season? Player A signs in, is playing some games and doesn't show up again afterwards. I do not like that "benchmark-system" and league-exclusions very much.  

Maximum of 15 matches, is probably easy. Maximum number of players per league: 15.

As for annuling games already played... yeap, not a very good solution :(

There will always be drop-outs IMO. We already have prizes for ppl not on top3 but finishing all the games, so...
There is another system, but it's a quite horrible and unflexible.
Pairings are posted, players have X days to talk and decide when the game is going to happen, post the date on the scoreboard, players failing to play on that date will lose the match, the other player gets 3 points and re-edits the post on the scoreboard.
Like i said awful system... and very punishing..

Or have stricter benchmarks dates, where players would have to decide whether:
a) play
b) drop out
c) NEW: concede that match, the other play would get 2? 3? points...
again very punishing and not very fun method...

But what i'd like is for members, specially new ones, say why the sometimes drop. We know that some ppl, even older members, sometime drop because of time issues, but i don't think that's the only reason.

Perhaps shorten the time of a league (more pairins per week??) so ppl won't lose interest.
My ideas, probably not any good, but perhaps, someone will think of better ones by reading my awful suggestions...

b.

I'm new in this league but how about sth like that:

Points for W/D/L
Points for succesfully ended Matches (First 3 Matches in Tournament i.e. 1 Point each Match, Matches 4 + 5 2 Points per Match, and so on...)

If a match can't hapen because of
a) Opponent conceded/dropped
b) Opponent temporarly have no time

a)Bye like in Limited (Points for Win and full Opponentscore, every player who played against this opp gains full oppscore)
b) Posibility to rearrange your Match to another day

I don't know if it will help :P

GoblinPiledriver

Quote from: b. on 12-11-2010, 08:34:57 AM

Points for W/D/L
Points for succesfully ended Matches (First 3 Matches in Tournament i.e. 1 Point each Match, Matches 4 + 5 2 Points per Match, and so on...)

No I think this would degrade the hll. This would be like Gateway-Play(Tournament) or the jk-entertainment store league.
And a cummulative system of even more points for played matches would make this even worse.

A: I would propose an other way of avoiding unplayed matches:

When new pairings are posted every player in  the league post a certain time window when he could play his matches.
His opponent then writes back if he could play at this time.( All posted in one entry at the [HLL]parings - Sesaon y)

Then this match is sheduled. If a player doesn't get there at this time he loses 0-2.

Positiv in this method would be that all matches are sheduled individually by the players. There  wouldn't be the problem that the players are needed to see each other randomly at ICQ and hoping that the other player had time to play at this random time.

B:Second proposal:

If the problem why so many players drop of a season is the low intensity, caused by the only 2 matches a week clause.

I want a referendum of the players from the hll how many matches a week would be best.

Just write down what you think!

Greetings Goblin Piledriver
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Nastaboi

More open matches, and grant new matches only for players who had finished some. E.g. At first, everyone has like four open matches. Then after a week, those who have completed two or more matches are paired and get two more matches and those who have done just one get just one. Then those who just won't play won't disrupt more people, and by the end of season, for each unplayed match the player with more completed matches is granted a win (no ratign obv). No repairings needed unless someone explicity drops early enough.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

Thx for your input. There are already some good suggestions I will use for next season.
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

How about: Season starts, you are free to play against any player in the league (just once for each) until you reach 15 matches. You can also challenge another player in public and set up a date so that you can't refuse to play if challenged.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)