Main Menu

[SOM] review

Started by Mythrandir, 22-09-2010, 11:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

Another set another review, mostly regarding our dear format.

White:
Elsepth tirel - well, PW are very good in our format, this is no exception. A bit harder to work with than elsepth 1.0, but quite good too.

Glint hawk - In our format, i don't know, but this one will definitely see some play, specially with the memnite.

Leonin arbiter - Good card for WW, other than that i think avenmindcensor is probably better.

Myrsmith - they really pushed myr in this set. But i don't think it will be that viable in our format, nontheless there are some interesting myr/myr related cards and this one is not that bad.

Sunblast angel - Interesting, vs aggro, but for 6 mana it might be a bit too late, also i think i'd go for a titan over this or even a BSA.

Blue:

Argent sphinx - Metalcraft is quite good, and even in non-artifact heavy decks it's quite often that a player gets 3 artifacts in play. back to the card: reasonable CMC/stats and once metalcraft is up really nasty to kill.

Dissipation field - Moat is a bit underplayed right now, so this one won't see much play too.

Shape anew - Quite interesting. But needs building around to work.

Stoic retbuttal - May i write strictly better than cancel? We have much better stuff than this and at least they didn't reprint cancel.

Turn aside - cheap efficient counter for Skies and such.

Fume spitter - Not that bad.

geth, lord of the vault - Reusable recursion is always good, however it's a bit costy, if MBC was a viable deck, this could find a home in it. B staxx?

Hand of praetors - Infect is quite a good way to kill a player, however i think there are still few (playable) cards with it to form a deck. However this one is quite good, cheap and doesn't need to deal damage to put on those poison counters on you. If there's gonna be a infect deck, this + the draon are the ones making it viable, IMO.

Necrotic ooze - It seems comboish... but i haven't read any that can brake it.

Psychic miasma - Not that bad addition to cheap discard. And at least it won't be that bad hitting that land in late games.

Skinrender - Playble IMO. I'm almost tempted at trying this one instead of FTK, but the double BB is a bit hars for my 5cc. Still good card.

Skithiryx the blight dragon - One of my favourite cards of this set! Great pic, nice CMC for its stats. Infect!! This one might just see some play, will definitely see in EDH. Although have no idea why skeleton and no zombie, even that image reminds me of a zombie than skeleton. But still, it has some nice flavour in it.

Red:
Arc trail - For aggro there is better burn, IMO. for more controlissh, it's not that bad, but still you probably have better options.

Galvanic blast - Is it worthing packing your RDW or Rx something with artifacts because of this? Aether vial, artifact lands, moxs... seems playable. Also, strictly better than shock.

Koth of the hammer - Another PW, another playable card IMO. 2nd ability can be used for combos? i think there is better stuff, no?

Kuldotha phoenix - An actually playable phoenix! WOW. Still i'm not sure whether no R in the metalcraft is good or bad. I'm gonna start counting how many times i get 3 or more artifacts in play...

Tunnel ignus - Playable? you can easily work around it vs it. So for 2 CMC you probably have better stuff.

Green:

Carapace forger - Green probably got the best metalcraft creatures, however there arent many G artifacts decks, are there?

Ezuris brigade? 4 CMC 8/8? not bad.. but same as above.

Genesis wave - Another card that i think screams to be broken. Ramp decks.

Putrefax - No ball lightning, but in multiple might work. BG infect deck?

Viridian ravel - Not bad, could see some use.

Multicolor:
Venser, the sojourner - Great PW. Combos well with ETB abilities. will definitely see play.

Artifacts:

Darksteel axe - pretty powerful and hard to get rid of...

Darksteel juggernaut - not bad in artifact heavy decks, still i'm guessin it won't see play.

Liquimetal coating - I already see the huge rules questions this one will bring. Not bad in other formats, i guess.

Memnite - seriously? Seriously? =/ oh, well. Will most probably see play.

Mimic vat - ahh, very interesting design. I think this one will definitely see play. Good in aggro since you can have recorrent threats, good in control. Can make nifty tricks with ETB abilities. Also combos well, with the new wurmcoil engine. Very, very powerful. I vote best card in set.

Molten-tail masticore - well, you have to exile a creature, but 4 damage to a player seems powerful. But discarding + exiling every turn seems harsh.

Mox opal - Well, if you want to ramp your aggro, it's bad, but in stax, with a staring workshop this can be in the table turn 2 easily. so, not bad. Don't want to see the price this will get if it sees some competitive play.....

Myr battlesphere - Cute. but 7 cmc is bad...

Myr galvanizer - quite good, if a myr deck arises, this one will definitely see play.

Myr propagator - same as above. comboish?

Myr reservoir - Same as above, they really are trying to push myr. lol

Nim deathmantle - the big equipment of the set, IMO. not only does it pump + intimidated, but it can get your creatures. The lack of B on the card, makes it for bad design IMO. Guess thi is going to see play.

Platinum emperion - cute and flavourful. but i guess we have platinum angel.

Ratchet bomb - a lot of hype about this one, i don't see really why, at least for our format. Way too slow and preditacble.

Semblance anvil - hmm, quite interesting.

Strata scythe - in mono color decks (looking at you WW) it might be well testing it.

Sword of body and mind - probably the worst sword of the trio.

Vulshock replica - decent, but probably too slow for 3 cmc.

Wurmcoil engine - ahh, pretty nice, although this screams multicolor, IMO. I won't probably test it, since i'm avoiding high CMC spells, but this one is pretty, pretty decent.

Lands:
Nothing very exciting here. I was hoping for a couple more of lands, but guess no.

Well, i probably miss a couple of interesting/good cards. Discussion and comments are always welcome.

coldcrow

Koth is insanely good in RDW.
Arbiter will be played in disruptive W/G/x fish.
Genesis wave ... another toy for elves.
Copperhorn Scout: see above (might also be good for the nonexistent training grounds/tap ability deck)
Necrotic Ooze comboes with Phyrexian Devourer and Trike.. best way to get them into grave would be Buried Alive, but that's banned.
Skythrix is a good finisher for MBC and affiliated decks.
Painful Quandry is costly at 5 CMC but really good actually. Mono B or B/w/w discard?
Precursor Golem is has a neat synergy with Leap and other creature targeting cantrips.

Nastaboi

You're missing at least Nihil Spellbomb, which is better than Relic in a black deck.

I will try to get artifact aggro to work, we got at least Rusted Relic, Precursor Golem, DS Juggernaut and blue and white smiths to go along with old modular/affinity dudes. Mox Opal is OK in the deck and I have other ones that can run it, too. I like Palladium Myr but maybe it just won't make the cut.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tiggupiru

- WHITE -

QuoteName:    Auriok Edgewright
Cost:    {W}{W}
Type:    Creature - Human Soldier
Pow/Tgh:    2/2
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - Auriok Edgewright has double strike as long as you control three or more artifacts.

To have metalcraft during the first few turns of the game, you need to play as much as ~15 artifacts in your deck and this is including you mulliganing towards metalcraft. It's also really easy to take away metalcraft from somebody at instant speed. This makes metalcraft cards out of range for most decks as it really is not worth the effort to play bad cards so that your other bad cards could be good. Play metalcraft cards that are not desperately behind curve before the third artifact joins the table. You really should not play them unless you don't have problem of them being unpowered early on. Not to mention, it is not very hard to take away metalcraft.

That being said, this card actually is worth investigating even though it's probably going to be just a 2/2 most of the time. I am assuming that people who play this are aiming to get Metalcraft by Equipments, which means that random 2/2 body can still be a force to be recon with. Not to mention if and when you play the third artifact, this is going to be huge with any equipment.

QuoteName:    Auriok Sunchaser
Cost:    1{W}
Type:    Creature - Human Soldier
Pow/Tgh:    1/1
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - As long as you control three or more artifacts, Auriok Sunchaser has +2/+2 and flying.

This however is not worth exploring. White needs to have two power creature on the table on turn two.

QuoteName:    Dispense Justice
Cost:    2{W}
Type:    Instant
Rules Text:    Target player sacrifices an attacking creature.

Metalcraft- That player sacrifices two attacking creatures instead if you control three or more artifacts.

Wing Shards is just better and that does not see play very often.

QuoteName:    Elspeth Tirel
Cost:    3{W}{W}
Type:    Planeswalker - Elspeth
Pow/Tgh:    4
Rules Text:    +2: You gain 1 life for each creature you control.

-2: Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

-5: destroy all other permanents except for lands and tokens.

Not nearly as good as the original. Tirel is still very much of a card, though. The ultimate ability is powerful, but to access it, you need to have winning or equal board position or else your opponent just hits her down for some loyalty. Best case scenario involves you with a board full of tokens to make a few chumps and then blow up the board. Then you even get the opportunity to make some use of the otherwise horrible first ability for profit. I do like the second ability very much. Creating three tokens makes it really hard for your opponent to punch through and provide problems for opposing walkers and players. Shame she can't activate twice without dying. Nice value card, but not a super trump to win the game seemingly out of the blue. Way better in other formats where you can kind of chain these.

QuoteName:    Indomitable Archangel
Cost:    2{W}{W}
Type:    Creature - Angel
Pow/Tgh:    4/4
Rules Text:    Flying

Metalcraft - Artifacts you control have shroud as long as you control three or more artifacts.

I don't think this is a very good card. Without access to sideboard, naturalizes are few and far between and being just a 4/4 for four is not interesting.

QuoteName:    Kemba, Kha Regent
Cost:    1{W}{W}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Cat Cleric
Pow/Tgh:    2/4
Rules Text:    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 2/2 white Cat creature token onto the battlefield for each equipment attached to Kemba, Kha Regent.

Probably just crap, but if the equipment oriented WW is real deal, this might sneak in.

QuoteName:    Leonin Arbiter
Type:    Creature - Cat Cleric
Rules Text:    Players can't search libraries. Any player may pay {2} for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn.

The ability is symmetrical and that makes this unattractive for most aggros. If you run no fetchlands (or just like a four or something) and only a handful of other library searching effects, then this is actually a pretty good creature. Just slow opposition down for the crucial turn or two with him and he is more than your money is worth. The fact that you need to seriously consider playing this because of his symmetrical nature, means that he can ruin a game completely. If your opponent has a ETB tapped land and two fetchlands in his or her opening and you play this on turn two, there is reasonable chance that it wins the game all by himself. The fact that he is easily removed makes that unlikely, but I think he is good if you make them pay two mana even once. The possible free wins are just bonuses.

QuoteName:    Myrsmith
Type:    Creature - Human Artificer
Pow/Tgh:    2/1
Rules Text:    Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may pay {1}. If you do, put a 1/1 colorless Myr artifact creature token onto the battlefield.

Helps to get metalcraft-guys activate and provides bodies to equip, but seeing that 1/1's aren't very interesting against aggro and the ability costs mana to activate...not going to cut it. Cute, but no dice.

QuoteName:    Salvage Scout
Cost:    {W}
Type:    Creature - Human Scout
Rules Text:    {W}, Sacrifice Salvage Scout: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.

Might be part of a combo some day. Ranger of Eos, Enduring Renewal and Proclamation of Rebirth can all help to abuse this little guy.

QuoteName:    Sunblast Angel
Cost:    4{W}{W}
Pow/Tgh:    4/5

When Sunblast Angel enters the battlefield, destroy all tapped creatures.

Fun fact #1: Six mana Wraths are too expensive to be good.

Fun fact #2: This is not even a six mana wrath.

QuoteName:    Sunspear Shikari
Type:    Creature - Cat Soldier
Rules Text:    As long as Sunspear Shikari is equipped, it has first strike and lifelink.

Have fun trying to race this wearing a Grafted Wargear. Practically needs to be removed immediately if you are playing aggro and opponent equips anything to this.

- BLUE -

QuoteName:    Argent Sphinx
Cost:    2{U}{U}
Type:    Creature - Sphinx
Pow/Tgh:    4/3

Metalcraft - {U}: Exile Argent Sphnx. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only if you control three or more artifacts.

Decent ability for a 4/3 flyer, but since combat damage does not stack anymore, this is not worth playing even unless you can guarantee turn five Metalcraft.

QuoteName:    Dissipation Field
Cost:    2{U}{U}
Type:    Enchantment
Rules Text:    Whenever a permanent deals damage to you, return it to its owner's hand.
Illus.    Matt Cavotta
Rarity:    Rare
Set Number:    #32/249

If there is a combo involving this, this could see play. As a purely defensive card, this is just bad.

QuoteName:    Grand Architect
Cost:    1{U}{U}
Type:    Creature - Vedalken Artificer
Pow/Tgh:    1/3
Rules Text:    Other blue creatures you control get +1/+1.

{U}: Target artifact creature becomes blue until end of turn.

Tap an untapped blue creature you control: Add {2} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells or activate abilities of artifacts.

Going infinite with Thopter Foundry is not that exciting in itself, but if you can add some other combos or synergies, this should be pretty good. It also acclerates.

QuoteName:    Inexorable Tide
Cost:    {3}{U}{U}
Rules Text:    Whenever you cast a spell, proliferate.

Proliferate is not an effect that is worth a card. The card needs to be something you would play even without the proliferate. Adding counters is just a bonus. Naturally this means that this card is just really, really bad.

QuoteName:    Quicksilver Gargantuan
Cost:    5{U}{U}
Type:    Creature - Shapeshifter
Pow/Tgh:    7/7
Rules Text:    you may have Quicksilver Gargantuan enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's still 7/7.

Hypergenesis. Just add a guy with haste and you are set.

QuoteName:    Riddlesmith
Cost:    1{U}
Rules Text:    Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.

If a deck has both artifact and graveyard synergies (and no, Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek does not count as both in this case) Riddler might have a shot. It would still be worse than any of the other two mana looters. Actually might still be worse than Bonded Fetch. So you need to be pretty desperate.

QuoteName:    Shape Anew
Cost:    3{U}
Type:    Sorcery
Rules Text:    The controller of target artifact sacrifices it, then reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an artifact card. That player puts that card onto the battlefield, then shuffles all other cards revealed this way into his or her library.

If only you could play a deck consisting of 20 of these and 20 of Stone Idol Traps...

QuoteName:    Steady Progress
Cost:    2{U}
Rules Text:    Proliferate.

Draw a card.

Just to be clear about the whole proliferate - matter, this would not be a playable even if it costs just one mana.

QuoteName:    Thrummingbird
Cost:    1{U}
Type:    Creature - Bird Horror
Whenever Thrummingbird deals combat damage to a player, proliferate.

Neither would be this.

QuoteName:    Turn Aside
Cost:    {U}
Rules Text:    Counter target spell that targets a permanent you control.

Probably too narrow, but I have a very limited experience of Fish decks. which is pretty much the only deck that could be interested of this.

QuoteName:    Volition Reins
Cost:    3{U}{U}{U}
Type:    Enchantment - Aura
Rules Text:    Enchant Permanent

When Volition Reins enters the battlefield, if enchanted permanent is tapped, untap it.

You control enchanted permanent.

I am not a huge fan of Confiscate, but I've seen it get played. This is actually a very nice improvement over it, but I'd still not play it.

- BLACK -

QuoteName:    Bleak Coven Vampires
Cost:    3{B{B}
Type:    Creature - Vampire Warrior
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - When Bleak Coven Vampires enters the battlefield, if you control three or more artifacts, target player loses 4 life and you gain 4 life.

Too bad the body is too small. Actually an evasion might have been enough to make this borderline playable, but as of now, meh.

QuoteName:    Geth, Lord of the Vault
Cost:    4{B}{B}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Zombie
Pow/Tgh:    5/5
Rules Text:    Intimidate

{X}{B}: Put target artifact or creature card with converted mana cost X from an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control tapped. Then that player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

I like the fact that this feeds himself. I could very well see this being played in MBC. Nice against opposing walkers that Intimidate is also.

QuoteName:    Grip of Darkness
Cost:    {B}{B}
Rules Text:    Target creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn.
Flavor Text:    On a world bathed by the light of five suns, the night is forced to become an aggressive force.
Illus.    Johann Bodin
Rarity:    Common
Set Number:    #65/249

Fine removal in black heavy decks.

QuoteName:    Necrotic Ooze
Cost:    2{B}{B}
Type:    Creature - Ooze
Rules Text:    As long as Necrotic Ooze is on the battlefield, it has all activated abilities of all creature cards in all graveyards.

This can probably combo with couple of ways, but unless something that uses real cards is discovered, avoid this.

P.S. Gigantomancer is not a real card.

QuoteName:    Painsmith
Cost:    1{B}
Rules Text:    Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may have target creature get +2/+0 and gain deathtouch until end of turn.

Deathtouch is nearly irrelevant, but I like the fact that this does not cost any additional mana and it's a 2/1 for two. Has potential.

QuoteName:    Skinrender
Type:    Creature-Zombie
Pow/Tgh:    3/3
Rules Text:    When Skinrender enters the battlefield, put three -1/-1 counters on target creature.

Oh wow. Compares nicely to Flametongue Kavu. A bit worse body and it's a little worse when shooting down a four toughess guy, but since it becomes a 1/1, I don't see that as a huge deal. It's also obviously way better when opponent has a 5/5 on the table. One of the best cards in the set.

QuoteName:    Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
Cost:    3{B}{B}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Dragon Skeleton

Infect

{B}: Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon gains haste until end of turn.

{B}{B}: Regenerate Skithiryx.

If you only have a one guy who has Infect, it's usually a drawback. No matter if your opponent is left with one life, this still needs three hits to finish the job. Granted, Srraxxarrakex can kill opponent from 30 life with three hits, but five mana 4/4 is not a deal of the century even when you add regeneration and possibly a haste. This is still a good card on the defence and is all in all good in decks that can have a lot of mana and doesn't have many finishers. Long story short: MBC.

QuoteName:    Tainted Strike
Cost:    {B}
Rules Text:    Target creature gets +1/+0 and gains infect until end of turn.

This can be really good if you have multiple 9/9 creatures with evasion!

- RED -

QuoteName:    Arc Trail
Cost:    1{R}
Rules Text:    Arc Trail deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 1 damage to another target creature or player.

Nah. Forked Bolt is just better and if you have blue, so is Fire/Ice.

QuoteName:    Embersmith
Type:    Creature-Human Artificer
Rules Text:    Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you may pay {1}. If you do, Embersmith deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Yadda-yadda-yadda requires mana to activate, not going to be played, yadda-yadda-yadda.

QuoteName:    Furnace Celebration
Cost:    1{R}{R}
Rules Text:    Whenever you sacrifice another permanent, you may pay {2}. If you do, Furnace Celebration deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

I kinda like the interaction with fetchlands, but this is still way too narrow of an effect. And it costs three.

QuoteName:    Galvanic Blast
Cost:    {R}
Rules Text:    Galvanic Blast deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Metalcraft - Galvanic Blast deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead if you control three or more artifacts.

Here is a question: Would you run a marathon if all you got out of it were a chocolate bar? Red can get the effect by adding a couple of mana and 100% less of bad cards.

QuoteName:    Goblin Gaveleer
Type:    Creature - Goblin Warrior
Rules Text:    Trample

Goblin Gaveleer gets +2/+0 for each Equipment attached to it.

I guess the boost is something you should respect, but I just can't imagine a deck that could make this work.

QuoteName:    Koth of the Hammer
Cost:    2{R}{R}
Type:    Planeswalker - Koth
Pow/Tgh:    3
Rules Text:    +1: Untap target Mountian. It becomes a 4/4 red Elemental creature until end of turn. It's still a land.

-2: Add {R} to your mana pool for each Mountain you control.

-5: You get an emblem with "Mountains you control have '{T}: This land deals 1 damage to target creature or player.'"

This is the walker that Chandra should have been. First ability is a huge beating against empty board or opposing walkers. That "untap" - clause is huge as red decks really don't want to give away their tempo. The second ability is potentially very explosive and there is always a possibility of something sick happening (banefire you for a LOT) with it. Ten mana on turn five is not bad. The ultimate is very hard for opposing control to deal with and even aggro might need to try and take down Koth before that. He can not defend himself, but red spells should be able to provide some assistance. You can also sometimes leave burn mana up if you do not attack with the mountain. Only very aggressive burn decks that have no four drops (are there even any?) can afford not to play this. Other red decks just autoinclude this.

QuoteName:    Kuldotha Phoenix
Cost:    2{R}{R}{R}
Type:    Creature - Phoenix
Rules Text:    Flying, haste
Metalcraft â€" {4}: Return Kuldotha Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only if you control three or more artifacts.

Bad stats? Check.
Color requirements through the roof? Check.
Requires Metalcraft not to be useless? Check.

Even the fact that the ability is colorless and you don't need to have metalcraft for a good while for this to be good is not going to be enough to save this. Red rarely wants this kind of an effect in a creature that costs five. Exiling this still gets around even if you have all the cool artifacts and synergies lined up.

QuoteName:    Spikeshot Elder
Type:    Creature-Goblin Shaman
Rules Text:    {1}{R}{R}: Spikeshot Elder deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player.
Flavor Text:    Now that he knows a thousand ways of hurting people, his next shamanic quest is to discover a thousand more.

Needs a power of three to really start being a threat. At two, he is kinda good, but not a powerhouse. R/G probably has good number of ways to pump this fellow, but R/G aggro is a very tight package and 1/1 that is really unimpressive without help is not something that deck is looking for. Right now, I see no deck for this unless Goblins have multiple anthems that I know nothing of.

QuoteName:    Tunnel Ignus
Type:    Creature - Elemental
Rules Text:    Whwnever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if that player had another land enter the battlefield under his or her control this turn, Tunnel Ignus deals 3 damage to that player.

Green really hates this guy. Nice Cultivate/Rampant Growth and fetchlands you got there. Aggressively costed enough to see play and the stats are enough for this to be good even when opponent does not run into this. Very aggressive burn decks rejoice if opponent does take 4 damage off their fetchlands, or if they decide to crack it during your turn rather than play something on theirs. While this is not going to be very impressive in all of the red decks, burn and similar strategies will find this very much playable.

Tiggupiru

- GREEN -

QuoteName:    Ezuri's Brigade
Cost:    2{G}{G}
Type:    Creature - Elf Warrior
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - As long as you control three or more artifacts, Ezuri's Brigade gets +4/+4 and has trample.

Now this is a bonus that is worth doing some work. It's not like you can build your deck around this guy, but you might consider playing some more artifacts if you have this on your deck. Bonus points if the third artifact is a SoFI you play and equip on the fifth turn.

QuoteName:    Ezuri, Renegade Leader
Cost:    1{G}{G}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Elf Warrior
Rules Text:    {G}: Regenerate another target Elf.

{2}{G}{G}{G}: Elf creatures you control get +3/+3 and gain trample until end of turn.

I don't know a huge deal of Elf decks, but this seems like a decent guy to help to defend the fort until it's time to go town with overrun. Stats are bad, but I guess that is true for most elves.

QuoteName:    Genesis Wave
Cost:    X{G}{G}{G}
Rules Text:    Reveal the top X cards of your library. You may put any number of permanent cards with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield. Then put all cards revealed this way that weren't put onto the battlefield into your graveyard.

Even if you manage to pull this off with 20+ mana, this is not a guaranteed kill. In fact, this is one of those cards that needs you to build your deck around it and with unique effects it's going to present a problem in HL. You need tutors and if this gets countered, you are in trouble. This also rarely wins the game outright if it resolves, no matter the deck.

As a pure value card this is hard to judge. Three green is not optimal for most decks and the permananets you are going to hit are cards that you could afford to play anyway. One thing to note is that it hits lands and Sensei's Divining Top is pretty unreal pairing with this as it can draw the non-permanent cards and ends up in play after the genesis. I'd say this is not worth in any decks, but I would not be surprised to see this work.

QuoteName:    Slice in Twain
Cost:    2{G}{G}
Rules Text:    Destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Draw a card.

Paying 1G more is not worth a card in aggro. In control this is worse than Krosan Grip.

- MULTICOLOR -

QuoteName:    Venser, the Sojourner
Cost:    3{W}{U}
Type:    Planeswalker - Venser
Pow/Tgh:    3
Rules Text:    +2: Exile target permanent you own. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.

-1: Creatures are unblockable this turn.

-8: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast a spell, exile target permanent."

Got blink? Why, yes. Yes, I do. I don't hold blink decks (trying to abuse ETB - triggers with cards like Momentary Blink) in high regard mostly because the abilities are rarely worth abusing and when you draw no creatures or no blinks, you are in trouble. Venser gives that kind of a deck means to generate card advantage over course of several turns and has nice ultimate to end things eventually. Although, many decks that play Venser and are able to protect him until the you have an emblem, shouldn't need the ultimate to actually be able to win. The second ability is a nice one against opposing walkers, but you really need to abuse the first ability as much as humanly possible if you plan to run him. The ability does dodge your own wraths and can untap a tapped land, if you so desire. The fact that you can hit a permanent you own is also a nice bonus. Hitting a creature you just lost to a opposing control magic is sweet. This all means that Venser is not restricted to blink decks alone, but it still has rather narrow uses. MVP in those decks, though.

- ARTIFACT -

QuoteName:    Argentum Armor
Cost:    6
Type:    Artifact - Equipment
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +6/+6.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, destroy target permanent.
Equip [6}

This is like Mindslaver except it requires a creature in order to be active itself, it costs more, the effect is way worse, this is vulnerable to creature or artifact removal and this never gets played because of the aforementioned reasons.

QuoteName:    Barbed Battlegear
Cost:    3
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +4/-1.

Equip {2}

There are better options.

QuoteName:    Chimeric Mass
Cost:    X
Type:    Artifact
Rules Text:    Chimeric Mass enters the battlefield with X charge counters.
{1}: Until end of turn, Chimeric Mass becomes a Construct artifact creature with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of charge counters on it."

Trinet Mageable finisher that dodges sorcery speed removal? Yes, but Sigil of Distinction was almost the same deal and it was pretty miserable. This is obviously way better and fits in control decks, but I am still not convinced. I would probably not play this, but I dare people to prove me wrong.

QuoteName:    Clone Shell
Cost:    5
Type:    Artifact Creature - Shapeshifter
Rules Text:    Imprint - When Clone Shell enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

When Clone Shell is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, turn the exiled card face up. If it's a creature card, put it onto the battlefield under your control.

Too much trouble.

QuoteName:    Contagion Clasp
Cost:    2
Rules Text:    When Contagion Clasp enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
{4},{T}: Proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)

Two mana -1/-1 counter is not worth a card unless you take out Soltari Priest or something, proliferating that same counter is not worth a card especially when you need to pay four mana to do that. Just avoid.

QuoteName:    Contagion Engine
Rules Text:    When Contagion Engine enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature target player controls
{4}, {T}: Proliferate, then proliferate again.

Just compare this to Mindslaver and you understand why this should never see play.

QuoteName:    Darksteel Axe
Cost:    1
Rules Text:    Darksteel Axe is indestructible.

Equipped creature gets +2/+0.

Equip {2}

Trusty Machete that has an irrelevant ability in place of that pretty critical one toughness. Just bad.

QuoteName:    Etched Champion
Type:    Artifact Creature - Soldier
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - Etched Champion has protection from all colors as long as you control three or more artifacts.

One thing about metalcraft I didn't mention earlier: It is much, much more easier to accomplish if the card that has the Metalcraft is an artifact itself. This can be pretty powerful when active, but since the written stats are not impressive, you should aim for giving him a Equipment or two.

QuoteName:    Glint Hawk Idol
Rules Text:    Whenever another artifact enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Glint Hawk Idol become a 2/2 artifact creature with flying until end of turn.

{W}:Glint Hawk Idol becomes a 2/2 artifact creature with flying until end of turn.

Being able to produce artifacts every turn means that is on par with white two drops. Needs pretty sick artifact synergies to be even considered and I don't think this is good even then.

QuoteName:    Kuldotha Forgemaster
Type:    Artifact Creature - Construct
Pow/Tgh:    3/5
Rules Text:    {T}, Sacrifice three artifacts: Search your library for an artifact card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

This is a powerful effect, very powerful actually. There are all kinds of sick things this can do if it doesn't get removed immediately. I guess properly built decks can't lose if they can activate this even once.

QuoteName:    Livewire Lash
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and gains "Whenever this creature becomes a target of a spell, this creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player."

Equip {2}

One thing to note is that you can target this yourself and you still can shock them. Still not hugely interesting as the boost is not very impressive and unless you have like a Scroll Thief, the shock ability is not very powerful.

QuoteName:    Memnite
Cost:    0
Type:    Artifact Creature - Construct

No amount of synergy is worth playing this, ever. Vanilla 1/1 is not worth a card. It's not even a myr.

QuoteName:    Mimic Vat
Rules Text:    Imprint - Whenever a nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.

{3}, {T}: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of the exiled card. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Is there a combo for this? If not, unplayable.

QuoteName:    Molten-Tail Masticore
Cost:    4
Type:    Artifact Creature - Masticore
Rules Text:    At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Molten-Tail Masticore unless you discard a card.

{4}, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Molten-Tail Masticore deals 4 damage to target creature or player.

{2}: Regenerate Molten-Tail Masticore.

While this is worse than regular Masticore in control decks, midrange and aggro should find this better than the original. 4 damage is enough to kill many of the creatures played in the current environment. And he shoots players and planeswalkers too. The drawback is very severe, but there are only a handful of cards aggro wants to keep rather than a regenerating 4/4 that can go for the dome without turning sideways. Not for the most aggressive of decks, but especially red likes to shoot colorless flame javelins each turn.

QuoteName:    Mox Opal
Cost:    0
Type:    Legendary Artifact
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - {T}: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control three or more artifacts.

In order to activate this early (when the acceleration is still relevant), you have to play bunch of cheap artifacts. This causes some interesting situations where you usually end up having nothing to accelerate into, making this useless. It takes some mad skill to build your deck for this card and the payoff is not very exiting. There are many better ways to accelerate in HL. I could see this being played in some combo that doesn't mind this doing nothing in the first couple of turns and can get the needed artifacts on the table during the big turn. That or 5c staxx, if it can utilize this.

QuoteName:    Myr Galvanizer
Type:    Artifact Creature - Myr
Rules Text:    Other Myr creatures you control get +1/+1.

{1}, {T}: Untap each other Myr you control.

The infinite mana is not going to work in HL very easily, so no playtime for this dude.

QuoteName:    Myr Propagator
Rules Text:    {3},{T}: Put a token that's a copy of Myr Propagator onto the battlefield.

Man, this is so bad in limited as well.

QuoteName:    Nihil Spellbomb
Cost:    1
Rules Text:    {T}, Sacrifice Nihil Spellbomb: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.

When Nihil Spellbomb is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay {B}. If you do, draw a card.

Ok, nice. I still prefer Relic of Progenitus in most decks as the first ability of it is brutal if your opponent is very graveyard centered. But, this is really good if you have your own GY synergies to exploit and have that black mana every once in a while.

QuoteName:    Palladium Myr
Rules Text:    {T}: Add {2} to your mana pool.

One of the better cards of the set for the HL. Decks that play Worn Powerstone should autoinclude this. It's basically the same deal, except being more fragile, but it also provides body to chump or to attack with. Not the most exiting card, but certainly one of the most useful.

QuoteName:    Platinum Emperion
Cost:    8
Type:    Artifact Creature - Golem
Pow/Tgh:    8/8
Rules Text:    Your life total can't change. (You can't gain or lose life. You can't pay any amount of life except 0.)

Cute. Not as good as Platinum Angel, but might be considered as an option in some deck.

QuoteName:    Precursor Golem
Rules Text:    When Precursor Golem enters the battlefield, put two 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell that targets only a single Golem, that player copies that spell for each other Golem that spell could target. Each of those spells targets a different one of those Golems.

Five mana 9/9 is a pretty good deal even if it dies to Lightning Bolt. Also abusable.

QuoteName:    Prototype Portal
Rules Text:    Imprint - When Prototype Portal enters the battlefield, you may exile an artifact card from your hand.

{X}, {T}: Put a token that's a copy of the exiled card onto the battlefield. X is the converted mana cost of that card.

Needs some pretty sick combo to be any good. Still probably isn't worth the time and money.

QuoteName:    Ratchet Bomb
Rules Text:    {T}: Put a charge counter on Ratchet Bomb.

{T}, Sacrifice Ratchet Bomb: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Ratchet Bomb.

I don't like Powder Keg a lot, but this is something I will take into consideration when building control decks. Takes down planeswalkers and enchantments and you can better react as you don't need to decide in your upkeep if you want to add counters. I guess it's more vulnerable to instant artifact destruction, but that is usually not a huge deal. One on the better cards in this set.

QuoteName:    Rusted Relic
Rules Text:    Metalcraft - Rusted Relic is a 5/5 Golem artifact creature as long as you control three or more artifacts.

Four mana 5/5 is not the sickest of cards and this not only behind curve when not in metalcraft, it actually literally does nothing. If you go all-in in your artifact-aggro, you can try this, but I doubt this, like that deck, is just really bad.

QuoteName:    Semblance Anvil
Rules Text:    Imprint - When Semblance Anvil enters the battlefield, you may exile a nonland card from your hand.
Spells you cast that share a card type with the exiled card cost {2} less to cast.

Combo can rarely afford throwing two cards away for this effect, but this is certainly a very powerful effect. I doubt we will see this played, but then they figure out some sick combo and this will be everywhere.

Well, probably not this.

QuoteName:    Strata Scythe
Rules Text:    Imprint - When Strata Scythe enters the battlefield, search your library for a land card, exile it, then shuffle your library.

Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each land on the battlefield with the same name as the exiled card.

Equip {3}

Very expensive and probably not very interesting. WW usually has like 5 plains in play at best and that is usually when they have land tax into play. Not to mention Armageddon is not exactly very synergistic with this. Not going to see play.

QuoteName:    Sword of Body and Mind
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from green and from blue.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you put a 2/2 green Wolf creature token onto the battlefield and that player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Equip {2}

Milling is completely useless ability and actually a potent drawback as the opponent might get access to flashback or something like that. Wolf is actually a very good bonus. Attack against tapped out opponent and you have another body to carry the equipment in case of spot removal. It's still worse than shocking something, but it's close. The protections are from the colors of no removal and green just rather take the equipment away, so all in all, this is not the most exciting piece of equipment but it's still pretty good. Not as good as the other two, but SoLaS is better than SoFI if the protections are more relevant, so this shouldn't be dismissed.

QuoteName:    Tower of Calamities
Rules Text:    {8}, {T}: Tower of Calamities deals 12 damage to target creature.

If you two of these, you can kill Emrakul!

QuoteName:    Wurmcoil Engine
Type:    Artifact Creature - Wurm
Pow/Tgh:    6/6
Rules Text:    Deathtouch, Lifelink
When Wurmcoil Engine is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a 3/3 colorless Wurm artifact creature token with deathtouch and a 3/3 colorless Wurm artifact creature token with lifelink onto the battlefield.

Six mana? I guess this is still pretty decent finisher in some control decks, or you plan to abuse the trigger (Transmute Artifact for Sharuum! How sick is that?) somehow. The lifelink makes this tick.

- LANDS -

The duals - Do not impress me in any way. Aggro doesn't want to play one and control doesn't need to play one. The drawback is just too much. Standard probably wants some number of these, but not HL.

Nastaboi

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 28-09-2010, 10:45:44 AM

Why does everybody neglet the 4/5 body? Martial Coup gets played even with seven mana. This is also one-sided. Will play one in my Angel Stax.

Rules Text:    you may have Quicksilver Gargantuan enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's still 7/7.

Note that 1/3 of creatures in the deck are legendary, making it impossible to copy desired creature oftentimes.

Rules Text:    Arc Trail deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 1 damage to another target creature or player.

I wouldn't write this one off too soon, you'll get two-for-ones with this more often than Forked Bolt/FI.

Rules Text:    {1}{R}{R}: Spikeshot Elder deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player.
Flavor Text:    Now that he knows a thousand ways of hurting people, his next shamanic quest is to discover a thousand more.

Needs a power of three to really start being a threat. At two, he is kinda good, but not a powerhouse. R/G probably has good number of ways to pump this fellow, but R/G aggro is a very tight package and 1/1 that is really unimpressive without help is not something that deck is looking for. Right now, I see no deck for this unless Goblins have multiple anthems that I know nothing of.

Goblins do have multiple anthems, called lords. Still, unplayable.

QuoteName:    Tunnel Ignus
Type:    Creature - Elemental
Rules Text:    Whwnever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if that player had another land enter the battlefield under his or her control this turn, Tunnel Ignus deals 3 damage to that player.

Green really hates this guy. Nice Cultivate/Rampant Growth and fetchlands you got there. Aggressively costed enough to see play and the stats are enough for this to be good even when opponent does not run into this. Very aggressive burn decks rejoice if opponent does take 4 damage off their fetchlands, or if they decide to crack it during your turn rather than play something on theirs. While this is not going to be very impressive in all of the red decks, burn and similar strategies will find this very much playable.

I've had wet dreams on flipping this from Warp World.

One of the better cards of the set for the HL. Decks that play Worn Powerstone should autoinclude this. It's basically the same deal, except being more fragile, but it also provides body to chump or to attack with. Not the most exiting card, but certainly one of the most useful.

Note that most decks that play Worn Powerstone also run Wildfire & co. Thus not autoinclude in every deck, but still playable.

QuoteName:    Platinum Emperion
Cost:    8
Pow/Tgh:    8/8
Rules Text:    Your life total can't change. (You can't gain or lose life. You can't pay any amount of life except 0.)

Cute. Not as good as Platinum Angel, but might be considered as an option in some deck.

Like Hypergenesis.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 28-09-2010, 12:40:31 PM

Why does everybody neglet the 4/5 body? Martial Coup gets played even with seven mana. This is also one-sided. Will play one in my Angel Stax.

I neglet it because it costs six and the ability does not touch creatures with summoning sickness or vigilance. From my experience, a good aggro deck does not care if your wrath comes on turn five or six. Martial Coup is not something I would play in most control decks, but that is at least a real wrath when you hit seven mana. It also can be played early on, if you need it.

Prove me wrong. :)

Note that 1/3 of creatures in the deck are legendary, making it impossible to copy desired creature oftentimes.

In that case, this might not make it in. I have no experience of that deck.

I wouldn't write this one off too soon, you'll get two-for-ones with this more often than Forked Bolt/FI.

Yeah. I think you are correct about this possibly seeing some play, but I have a real problem with this being sorcery.

Note that most decks that play Worn Powerstone also run Wildfire & co. Thus not autoinclude in every deck, but still playable.

I see no problem playing this in a deck that plays Wildfire. You can choose not to play Wildfire on turn four, if you have this in play. Not to mention, if you need to play it on turn four, you wouldn't even had the option without this.

Mythrandir

Do you really think that ratchet bomb will see play? I'm a control player, and this for me seems really bad. we're talking about 3rd turn removal for 1 cmc, 4th turn for 2 cmc (vs aggro, i'd prefer a wog or JoD), yes, this does kill other things than creatures, for PW, just too slow and too predictable, unlke EE where you can play and pay the ability. I think i'd prefer the old disk, over this one in our format, but let's see what the future gets us.

And yes, the angel in angels-stax.deck is probably very playable.

Can't wait to start testing out mimic vat and see if it's any good.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Mythrandir on 29-09-2010, 09:14:22 PMDo you really think that ratchet bomb will see play? I'm a control player, and this for me seems really bad. we're talking about 3rd turn removal for 1 cmc, 4th turn for 2 cmc (vs aggro, i'd prefer a wog or JoD), yes, this does kill other things than creatures, for PW, just too slow and too predictable, unlke EE where you can play and pay the ability. I think i'd prefer the old disk, over this one in our format, but let's see what the future gets us.

I really think R. Bomb will see play. Of course you are in trouble vs. aggro if your plan is to Ratchet Bomb the early opposition. Use the basic control stuff (removal, counters effective creatures) to stifle the opposition and this can function as a spot removal later on. That is not very interesting in itself, but the R. Bomb really shines against midrange/control where it can cause some serious problems if you know what to set that it for. It's not as good as EE in three-five color decks obviously, but EE is pretty sick card.

so_not

I don't understand your hate towards Spikeshot Elder. It's not very exciting as a one drop (still a one drop) but becomes a walking, multi-activatable, goblin Cursed Scroll when you have at least one boss on the table. Will be definitely played in goblins.

coldcrow

I have been  playing ratched bomb in my crappy MBC, and yes, it is playable. Best comparison is, of course, Keg. Its value shoots up if you know what you are up against, as Tiggupiru said. Obvious example would be Oath.

MarcMagic

ratched bomb should only see play in decks which have no/less access to massremoval or lack specific spot removal. MBC is a good example, although i dont think i will add this bomb to my MBC. But i already included it into my MUC because blue is lacking Massremoval and due to its synergy with academy ruins. Maybe this means good bye to powder keg.. but not sure yet.

Elspeth and Venser are both amazing and playable.

GoblinPiledriver

My Top 10 of new Scars of Mirrodin Cards:

1. Wurmcoil Engine   Sometimes even better then Baneslayer Angel, no evasion but efficient against Removal and playable in every color combination.

2. Skinrender    a black Flametongue Kavu, a little more expensive but the effect last longer.

2. Koth of the Hammer   The first efficient Planeswalker for RDW.

3. Venser Shaper Servant   Gives a huge possiblity of using Cip-ability efficient.

4. Elspeth Tirel         With 3 Soldiers she can overload the board. Protecting herself, other PW and the Player. The ultimate ability is cheap and efficient. But maybe she is not so strong then Gideon Jura.

5. Arc Trail      3 damage for 2 Mana to two target sound very good. Maybe even better than Arc Lightning

6. Tempered Steel     Gives a  huge boost with +2/+2 and enables a new Deck:  Artifact aggro

7. Ezuri, Renegade Leader   Gives Overrun and regeneration for elves Deck.

8. Palladium Myr         A walking Worn Powerstone. Maybe the best Gray Ogre ever printed.

9. Etched Champion       Protection from all colors, if two other artifacts are in play. Sounds like many protection for 3 Mana

10. Argentum Armor      Incredible strong and expensive. Sounds like a target for Stoneforge Mystic and Quest for the Holy Relic.

This is my top ten for new cards, Trinket Mage  would be otherwise on the very first place(Trinket Mage is one of the most played Nonlandcards).
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: so_not on 03-10-2010, 02:13:44 PM
I don't understand your hate towards Spikeshot Elder. It's not very exciting as a one drop (still a one drop) but becomes a walking, multi-activatable, goblin Cursed Scroll when you have at least one boss on the table. Will be definitely played in goblins.

In this format, I have a serious lack of faith when it comes to cards that are just bad without the help of an another card. Might be a question of a playing style and personal preference, but in my experience, they are just bad half the time. I wouldn't mind this, if it had a decent stats to being with, but 1/1's for one is not exciting and easily removed. But, I guess Goblins do have lots of synergy and this is synergistic with some of the cards in that deck, so I guess this could end up being decent or good even, but I really don't see enough to get excited with.

For what it's worth, I really like cards like Magus of the Scroll and this is something I really, really want to be good, but I think I would be frustrated about this doing nothing more often than this actually contributing towards winning me the game.

I dare you to prove me wrong.

Quote from: MarcMagic on 04-10-2010, 04:25:18 PM
ratched bomb should only see play in decks which have no/less access to massremoval or lack specific spot removal. MBC is a good example, although i dont think i will add this bomb to my MBC. But i already included it into my MUC because blue is lacking Massremoval and due to its synergy with academy ruins. Maybe this means good bye to powder keg.. but not sure yet.

UB control is also a deck with little to no access to mass removal and is struggling to deal with opposing artifacts, walkers and enchantments. I think this is a pretty fine inclusion for that deck.

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 05-10-2010, 06:42:21 PM10. Argentum Armor      Incredible strong and expensive. Sounds like a target for Stoneforge Mystic and Quest for the Holy Relic.

You do realize that this costs 12 mana and requires a guy to be active? Quest for the Relic can be decent in standard because, and only because, they can play four of those in their 60-card deck. In HL, you really don't want to see Quest after turn five, because by then it either never comes active, or it is too late and with one quest in your deck, it isn't really easy to get it early on.

Tiggupiru

"Let's do it again!"
- Squee, goblin cabin hand

- WHITE -

QuoteName:    Elspeth Tirel
Cost:    3{W}{W}
Type:    Planeswalker - Elspeth
Pow/Tgh:    4
Rules Text:    +2: You gain 1 life for each creature you control.

-2: Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

-5: destroy all other permanents except for lands and tokens.

Not nearly as good as the original. Tirel is still very much of a card, though. The ultimate ability is powerful, but to access it, you need to have winning or equal board position or else your opponent just hits her down for some loyalty. Best case scenario involves you with a board full of tokens to make a few chumps and then blow up the board. Then you even get the opportunity to make some use of the otherwise horrible first ability for profit. I do like the second ability very much. Creating three tokens makes it really hard for your opponent to punch through and provide problems for opposing walkers and players. Shame she can't activate twice without dying. Nice value card, but not a super trump to win the game seemingly out of the blue. Way better in other formats where you can kind of chain these.

Kinda undecided with Tirel still. She is not bad, but five mana is five mana and there just might be too much good stuff already.

QuoteName:    Leonin Arbiter
Type:    Creature - Cat Cleric
Rules Text:    Players can't search libraries. Any player may pay {2} for that player to ignore this effect until end of turn.

The ability is symmetrical and that makes this unattractive for most aggros. If you run no fetchlands (or just like a four or something) and only a handful of other library searching effects, then this is actually a pretty good creature. Just slow opposition down for the crucial turn or two with him and he is more than your money is worth. The fact that you need to seriously consider playing this because of his symmetrical nature, means that he can ruin a game completely. If your opponent has a ETB tapped land and two fetchlands in his or her opening and you play this on turn two, there is reasonable chance that it wins the game all by himself. The fact that he is easily removed makes that unlikely, but I think he is good if you make them pay two mana even once. The possible free wins are just bonuses.

I still think this as a solid inclusion to any WW or W/x - deck. Just be sure to play your fetches during the first two turns. :)

QuoteName:    Sunspear Shikari
Type:    Creature - Cat Soldier
Rules Text:    As long as Sunspear Shikari is equipped, it has first strike and lifelink.

Have fun trying to race this wearing a Grafted Wargear. Practically needs to be removed immediately if you are playing aggro and opponent equips anything to this.

I think this is powerful, but there are just too much better alternatives that are good even without equipments.

- BLUE -

QuoteName:    Grand Architect
Cost:    1{U}{U}
Type:    Creature - Vedalken Artificer
Pow/Tgh:    1/3
Rules Text:    Other blue creatures you control get +1/+1.

{U}: Target artifact creature becomes blue until end of turn.

Tap an untapped blue creature you control: Add {2} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells or activate abilities of artifacts.

Going infinite with Thopter Foundry is not that exciting in itself, but if you can add some other combos or synergies, this should be pretty good. It also acclerates.

I have no real experiences with this, but I still think he is one with potential.

QuoteName:    Volition Reins
Cost:    3{U}{U}{U}
Type:    Enchantment - Aura
Rules Text:    Enchant Permanent

When Volition Reins enters the battlefield, if enchanted permanent is tapped, untap it.

You control enchanted permanent.

I am not a huge fan of Confiscate, but I've seen it get played. This is actually a very nice improvement over it, but I'd still not play it.

At first I was like =(
Then I was like =)
Now, I am like =|

In short, I was surprised by this actaully being rether decent, but triple blue is kinda heavy and it rarely wins alone.

- BLACK -

QuoteName:    Geth, Lord of the Vault
Cost:    4{B}{B}
Type:    Legendary Creature - Zombie
Pow/Tgh:    5/5
Rules Text:    Intimidate

{X}{B}: Put target artifact or creature card with converted mana cost X from an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control tapped. Then that player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

I like the fact that this feeds himself. I could very well see this being played in MBC. Nice against opposing walkers that Intimidate is also.

Probably not playable. Limited experience etc., but gut feeling is that the permanents entering play tapped is too much along with other obvious weaknesses.

QuoteName:    Necrotic Ooze
Type:    Creature - Ooze
Rules Text:    As long as Necrotic Ooze is on the battlefield, it has all activated abilities of all creature cards in all graveyards.

This can probably combo with couple of ways, but unless something that uses real cards is discovered, avoid this.

P.S. Gigantomancer is not a real card.

This needs to win immediately to be worth it. Trisk/Delver does that, but that is not something that is very realistic without Survival.

QuoteName:    Skinrender
Type:    Creature-Zombie
Rules Text:    When Skinrender enters the battlefield, put three -1/-1 counters on target creature.

Oh wow. Compares nicely to Flametongue Kavu. A bit worse body and it's a little worse when shooting down a four toughess guy, but since it becomes a 1/1, I don't see that as a huge deal. It's also obviously way better when opponent has a 5/5 on the table. One of the best cards in the set.

I still am a fan. Double black is annoying, but past that, all upside.

- RED -

Totally wrong about this, should have made comparison with Arc Lightning which I consider borderline playable and this is essentailly the same with one less mana. One of the better splashable burn spells.

I haven't still being able to see this guy in action. Stupid singleton format!

- GREEN -

QuoteName:    Genesis Wave
Cost:    X{G}{G}{G}
Rules Text:    Reveal the top X cards of your library. You may put any number of permanent cards with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield. Then put all cards revealed this way that weren't put onto the battlefield into your graveyard.

Even if you manage to pull this off with 20+ mana, this is not a guaranteed kill. In fact, this is one of those cards that needs you to build your deck around it and with unique effects it's going to present a problem in HL. You need tutors and if this gets countered, you are in trouble. This also rarely wins the game outright if it resolves, no matter the deck.

As a pure value card this is hard to judge. Three green is not optimal for most decks and the permananets you are going to hit are cards that you could afford to play anyway. One thing to note is that it hits lands and Sensei's Divining Top is pretty unreal pairing with this as it can draw the non-permanent cards and ends up in play after the genesis. I'd say this is not worth in any decks, but I would not be surprised to see this work.

I've played with this couple of times and I guess it's good enough. Little random perhaps, but cool as hell.

- ARTIFACT -

QuoteName:    Contagion Clasp
Rules Text:    When Contagion Clasp enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
{4},{T}: Proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)

Two mana -1/-1 counter is not worth a card unless you take out Soltari Priest or something, proliferating that same counter is not worth a card especially when you need to pay four mana to do that. Just avoid.

To be fair, this is still the best proliferate card around, and in bizarre circumstances, potential HL playable.

QuoteName:    Mimic Vat
Rules Text:    Imprint - Whenever a nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.

{3}, {T}: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of the exiled card. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Is there a combo for this? If not, unplayable.

I've seen people playing these, and I really cannot fathom why. Six mana for any effect and that is assuming some creature has hit GY. In standard this can be okay, if the format is just right (most played creatures are titans or utlity creatures you can take advantage of), but HL is too random for this stuff.

Not as good as I originally gave credit, but I still kinda like him.

QuoteName:    Ratchet Bomb
Rules Text:    {T}: Put a charge counter on Ratchet Bomb.

{T}, Sacrifice Ratchet Bomb: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Ratchet Bomb.

I don't like Powder Keg a lot, but this is something I will take into consideration when building control decks. Takes down planeswalkers and enchantments and you can better react as you don't need to decide in your upkeep if you want to add counters. I guess it's more vulnerable to instant artifact destruction, but that is usually not a huge deal. One on the better cards in this set.

Clearly not one of the better cards of the set. More like an option for U/x control decks.

QuoteName:    Sword of Body and Mind
Rules Text:    Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from green and from blue.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you put a 2/2 green Wolf creature token onto the battlefield and that player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Equip {2}

Milling is completely useless ability and actually a potent drawback as the opponent might get access to flashback or something like that. Wolf is actually a very good bonus. Attack against tapped out opponent and you have another body to carry the equipment in case of spot removal. It's still worse than shocking something, but it's close. The protections are from the colors of no removal and green just rather take the equipment away, so all in all, this is not the most exciting piece of equipment but it's still pretty good. Not as good as the other two, but SoLaS is better than SoFI if the protections are more relevant, so this shouldn't be dismissed.

I got excited for nothing. Too weak and random milling is just too dangerous. You shouldn't be afraid to attack with a guy wielding a sword. I cannot even express how wrong that is.

QuoteName:    Wurmcoil Engine
Type:    Artifact Creature - Wurm
Pow/Tgh:    6/6
Rules Text:    Deathtouch, Lifelink
When Wurmcoil Engine is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a 3/3 colorless Wurm artifact creature token with deathtouch and a 3/3 colorless Wurm artifact creature token with lifelink onto the battlefield.

Six mana? I guess this is still pretty decent finisher in some control decks, or you plan to abuse the trigger (Transmute Artifact for Sharuum! How sick is that?) somehow. The lifelink makes this tick.

Probably the best card in the set. Awesome board presence alone, no color restrictions, needs to be killed several times, abusable... Has it all.

- LANDS -

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 28-09-2010, 10:45:44 AMThe duals - Do not impress me in any way. Aggro doesn't want to play one and control doesn't need to play one. The drawback is just too much. Standard probably wants some number of these, but not HL.

So, I misread these. Seeing that they work the other way around, they are actually pretty nice. Better than M10-duals for sure. Each of them is a reasonable option for any highlander deck running more than one color.