Main Menu

League

Started by Mythrandir, 06-09-2007, 03:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

How about a forum league?

Vazdru

I've had the same idea :P. Maybe it could have even an advertising effect for this forum. Shouldn't be a big effort to organize such a league.

Just a few thoughts to such a league:

• Playing via MWS Online Play,
  • one match each week per player,
  • no decklists (if you like just make a deck-check after the games),
  • the players arrange the games self-dependently,
  • the players post afterwards the results,
  • no more than two games vs the same opponent per season
  • a season takes 12 weeks,

I've already spoken to Sturmgott about my plan to organize a league but he is a bit afraid if MWS is what the players want and if the Online-Tourney will be a success, cause there is almost no feed-back of the community yet. So let's wait till the tourney is over and let's see what happened there.

If i win anything there will be a prize support for a league too  ;)

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 06-09-2007, 08:17:25 PM
I've had the same idea :P. Maybe it could have even an advertising effect for this forum. Shouldn't be a big effort to organize such a league.

Just a few thoughts to such a league:

• Playing via MWS Online Play,
  • one match each week per player,
  • no decklists (if you like just make a deck-check after the games),
  • the players arrange the games self-dependently,
  • the players post afterwards the results,
  • no more than two games vs the same opponent per season
  • a season takes 12 weeks,

I've already spoken to Sturmgott about my plan to organize a league but he is a bit afraid if MWS is what the players want and if the Online-Tourney will be a success, cause there is almost no feed-back of the community yet. So let's wait till the tourney is over and let's see what happened there.

If i win anything there will be a prize support for a league too  ;)

yeap, thats what i´ve been thinking.. a tourney requires a lot of ppl playing at the same day, at the same hour.. so its more dificult gatherer all the ppl.

Vazdru

Some further thoughts:

• Scoring: Win vs. higher ranked player: 3p, Win vs. equal and lower ranked player: 2p, Draw: 1p, Loss: -1p
  • Challenge: Opportunity to challenge a higher ranked player, 3 challenges per player and season, you can't challenge an already challenged player
  • Challenge Day: If two player are unable to find a common date for the match during the week, both competitors have to play on sunday, 18.00 o'clock; if only one competitor is ready that one receives the points
  • Late Join: Opportunity to join a running season after x weeks, joining player receives x/2 add. challenge-calls, can make x weeks one add. game each week
  • Start Season 1: Monday, October 1st
  • End Season 1: Sunday, December 23rd
  • Vacation period: a player can announce a vacation period (2 weeks) in which he can't be challenged
  • K-Value: 4

Hopefully not too complicated  ??? ;D

Far below the earth

Mythrandir

well, i dont think a loss just be -1... this might scare away ppl from playing.. a think zero points for losing is already bad :P

Whistler

The idea of a league sounds good to me. But I think, one match per week is too much for me (Magic isn't soccer *fg*). I would be part of the league, if we could arrange one match every two weeks. I think that would be enough. There is another life outside beyond Magic ;).

Greetings,
Sascha
Giggity giggity giggity!

Vazdru

Quote from: Whistler
The idea of a league sounds good to me. But I think, one match per week is too much for me (Magic isn't soccer *fg*).

• max. one match each week per player

or max. 12 matches a season - so you can decide more flexibly when you wanna play your matches (e. g. 2 matches on a single weekend)

Quote from: Mytrandir
well, i dont think a loss just be -1... this might scare away ppl from playing.. a think zero points for losing is already bad Tongue

Someone who plays more often than another shouldn't have an advantage by that. That's why i've thought about -1p per loss as penalty. Thereby it doesn't matter if a player plays one match every two weeks or two (one win is better than one win + one loss  ;)); i think this method is better than reducing the maximum match-count every two weeks to 1
Far below the earth

Mythrandir

well, i think the league players should be playing the same number of games... or at least have a maximum number of games per league.. so that in the end.. the player with the most games, doesnt win...

as for the more than life to magic.. i think a round per week isnt that much.. you dont even have to play the 3 rounds in the same day.. so... i dont think thats too much

zimagic

Quote from: Mythrandir on 11-09-2007, 11:36:28 PM
well, i think the league players should be playing the same number of games... or at least have a maximum number of games per league.. so that in the end.. the player with the most games, doesnt win...

as for the more than life to magic.. i think a round per week isnt that much.. you dont even have to play the 3 rounds in the same day.. so... i dont think thats too much

I'd be up for this rather than tourneys. Wit the children it's difficult to find long periods to play but I can do 1 hour blocks every now and then. I just have to download MWS now and figure out how to use it! lol.

I'll be playing from France so same time zone as Germany

Mythrandir

Quote from: zimagic on 12-09-2007, 05:29:12 PM
Quote from: Mythrandir on 11-09-2007, 11:36:28 PM

I'd be up for this rather than tourneys. Wit the children it's difficult to find long periods to play but I can do 1 hour blocks every now and then. I just have to download MWS now and figure out how to use it! lol.

I'll be playing from France so same time zone as Germany

yeap, its easier than a tournament, this requires probably a full day, a league requires a couple of hours per week, but i think that both formats are welcomed. lets see if the rest of the forum users discuss this, and what will be the  tournament sucess. :)

MWS is easy, i think there's a tutorial somewhere around here.. see the topic/page about the online tournament

Vazdru

Summary:

• Platform: Magic Workstation 0.94f
  • Registration: Free for everyone, registration period will start 070922; possibility to join a running season
  • Season starts: 071001
  • Season ends: 071223
  • Participant: Play 12 best-of-three matches, no more than two matches vs. the same opponent, no more than two matches a week
  • Decklists: not necessary, opponent may have a deck-check after the games
  • Scoring: Win vs. higher ranked player: 3p, Win vs. equal and lower ranked player: 2p, Draw: 1p, Loss: 0p
  • Schedule: no fixed dates, players arrange the games self-dependently and report the result
  • Prizes: will be announced

Do we need a challenge-system? Some notes or changes?

Surname, Name, Country, ICQ Number, Highlander Player No. if available
Far below the earth

Mythrandir

how will the pairings be done?
or a player just challenge another? i would prefer randomly...

count me in:

Matos, João, Portugal, 378577689, no HL number

p.s.. i´ve never used ICQ before, and i will only used to play in ther tournament...

Vazdru

Quote from: Mythrandir on 14-09-2007, 11:39:18 PM
how will the pairings be done?
or a player just challenge another? i would prefer randomly...

Quote from: Vazdru
Schedule: no fixed dates, players arrange the games self-dependently and report the result

I've thought about two possibilities:

A) Two player of the league just arrange a meeting for playing their game.

-> everyone is free how often he wanna play in one single week (0-1-2 games)
-> to schedule a game should be quite easy via board, ICQ, MSN ... so you don't need to have a fixed "game-day"
-> the restrictions (max. 2 matches vs. 1 opponent, max. 2 matches in a week) are made to have a great scope of pairings in the league

B) A player challenge a higher ranked participant of the league.

-> Do we need to have a possibility for lower ranked player to advance in the ranking by challenging a higher ranked participant? - i think so.

Random pairings would have some disadvantages:

-> what are the consequences if two player do not find a common date for playing
-> what happens if there is an impair player-number in the league
-> what happens if someone is on a trip for two or three weeks or maybe ill

I think random pairings in such a league could be complicated ...

Far below the earth

Mythrandir

hmmm... those are complications indeed, but in case of illness or holidays... that match would be postponed..

i would prefer random pairings in order for everybody to play.. if they need to challenge players, perhaps it will pull away somes players... the biggest problem is the number not being even... =/

i think we should hear from other ppl.. what they have to say, perhaps a poll?

Whistler

Okay, I would play the league, if there are enough players within it. I think a minimum of 8 players should be.

Random pairings are okay, but I think it's harder to find matching dates for the players.

Naumann, Sascha, Germany, 84503140, 0064

Greetings,
Sascha
Giggity giggity giggity!