Main Menu

GBW combo - Pattern-Rector

Started by Tiggupiru, 09-08-2010, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamer

Recent changes:
- Sunt Titan, Stoneforge package, Crop Rotation
+ Yosei, Nantuko Husk, Vampire Aristocrat, Sylvan Library, Obstinate Baloth

Also testing Conjurer's Closet because the sweet, sweet free value is tempting. Haven't managed to draw it thus far sadly.

Dreamer

Insanity check, but:

This is what I'm considering for the Yosei slot. Is green, flies and completely clogs the board vs. aggressive decks. Has hilarious interactions with things like Recurring Nightmare and Reveillark. I think both Yosei and Grave Titan are pretty borderline in the deck now that Melira combo exists, but I like the ability to do an emergency boardclog quite a lot. This does that while doing gamewinning things with Nightmare and can be Ordered out. Not sure if it's good enough but could prove handy.

Tabris

Why do you run Yosei in the first place (and try now to replace it with a 7drop) ?

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Tabris on 17-06-2012, 05:25:07 PM
Why do you run Yosei in the first place (and try now to replace it with a 7drop) ?

I think Yosei is in because he plans to win. As for what comes to the 7-drop, I guess he is just so accustomed at winning games with it that the whole 'winning' notion has lost all meaning to him (the infamous anti-Charlie Sheen complex) and the only way he can still feel something is to 'not win'.

Tabris

I see.

He reminded me of me at his age, I mean when I was his age he reminded me of my age. He reminded me of my age at his age. When I was his age he was reminded of me.

DaSquee

http://deckstats.net/deck-1665069-307ebaeb915d2ef94f5e20f6f0f3087a.html

thats my pattern rector right now, any advice on how to improve it (yeah i know i need duals) would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

4 Swamp
3 Plains
3 Forest
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Arid Mesa
1 Krosan Verge
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Temple Garden
1 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Woodland Cemetery
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Tainted Field
1 City of Brass
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Wasteland
1 Dust Bowl
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Wall of Roots
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Fauna Shaman
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Eternal Witness
1 Acidic Slime
1 Protean Hulk
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Beast Within
1 Chord of Calling
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Natural Order
1 Rancor
1 Pattern of Rebirth
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Viscera Seer
1 Carrion Feeder
1 Mesmeric Fiend
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Phyrexian Ghoul
1 Krovikan Horror
1 Dimir House Guard
1 Fleshwrither
1 Body Snatcher
1 Shriekmaw
1 Duress
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
1 Cabal Therapy
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Necromancy
1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Liliana of the Veil
1 Wall of Omens
1 Leonin Relic-Warder
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Academy Rector
1 Ranger of Eos
1 Reveillark
1 Karmic Guide
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Saffi Eriksdotter
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Vindicate
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Æther Vial

ChristophO

I would cut the WW cards that can easily be cut and replaced by superior options to improve the mana. Karmic Guide obv. has to stay.

Leonin Relic Warder -> Harmonic Sliver
Fiend Hunter -> Skinrender

I would also have another look at the mana base. I believe you are playing too many lands that do not produce green. I would also think about playing mana fixing guys in the deck (Wood elves/Borderland Ranger/Solemn Simulacrum) to help with the mana a bit. I would also play Thragtusk or Obstinate Baloth or even both depending on the Meta and also a Stoneforge Mystic package including Batterskull and Mortarpod and maybe even one of the Swords.

I would also cut the following cards because they are not powerful enough imo:
Fleshwrither
Body Snatcher
Krovikan Horror
Rancor (powerful but not in according to the decks plan)
Elvish Visionary

Tiggupiru

Quote from: ChristophO on 03-12-2012, 11:57:09 PM

I would cut the WW cards that can easily be cut and replaced by superior options to improve the mana. Karmic Guide obv. has to stay.

Not necessarily. Body Snatcher also works as a combo piece. Card is inferior to Karmic Guide, but it's better for the mana. I don't know which one is correct.

Quote from: ChristophO on 03-12-2012, 11:57:09 PMI would also think about playing mana fixing guys in the deck (Wood elves/Borderland Ranger/Solemn Simulacrum) to help with the mana a bit. I would also play Thragtusk or Obstinate Baloth or even both depending on the Meta

Thragtusk is too good to pass up. Natural Order into Thragtusk is a perfectly valid play against aggro. Centaur Healer is also better than the four mana life gain dudes. One mana is easily worth the -1/-1 and one less life. Depending of the meta, Healer might not be necessary.

I also find the mana dorks to be pretty much vital to the deck. Sylvan Ranger, Civic Waywinder, Yavimaya Dryad and the cards ChritophO mentioned are all viable options. Sylvan Ranger is probably the best, personal preferences define the other slots. I do think you want at least three of them.

Dreamer

Body Snatcher is better for a Melira style kill, though? I mean, it isn't loopable like Karmic Guide is.

Here's what I am playing atm:

//Creatures:

Carrion Feeder
Viscera Seer

Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Llanowar Elves
Fyndhorn Elves
Arbor Elf
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Elves of Deep Shadow

Sakura-Tribe Elder
Viridian Emissary
Wall of Roots
Sylvan Ranger

Bloodthrone Vampire
Saffi Eriksdotter
Melira, Sylvok Outcast
Stoneforge Mystic
Qasali Pridemage
Tidehollow Sculler
Wall of Blossoms
Fauna Shaman
Scavenging Ooze

Phyrexian Ghoul
Knight of the Reliquary
Yavimaya Dryad
Kitchen Finks
Eternal Witness
Bone Shredder

Academy Rector
Dimir House Guard
Thrun, the Last Troll
Loxodon Hierarch
Phyrexian Metamorph

Reveillark
Karmic Guide
Thragtusk
Shriekmaw

Primeval Titan
Wurmcoil Engine

Protean Hulk

//Other spells:

Chord of Calling
Green Sun's Zenith

Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Crop Rotation
Sensei's Divining Top

Inquisition of Kozilek
Duress
Thoughtseize

Sylvan Library
Eladamri's Call
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Intent
Go for the Throat

Recurring Nightmare
Phyrexian Arena
Oblivion Ring
Maelstrom Pulse
Vindicate
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Fire and Ice

Natural Order
Pattern of Rebirth
Faith's Fetters
Garruk Relentless

Garruk, Primal Hunter
Primal Command
Batterskull

//Lands:
2 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Plains

Savannah
Scrubland
Temple Garden
Godless Shrine
Overgrown Tomb

Dryad Arbor

Verdant Catacombs
Windswept Heath
Misty Rainforest
Wooded Foothills
Marsh Flats
Polluted Delta
Arid Mesa
Flooded Strand

Sunpetal Grove
Woodland Cemetery
Isolated Chapel
Razorverge Thicket

Stirring Wildwood
Treetop Village

Volrath's Stronghold
Phyrexian Tower
Homeward Path

Bojuka Bog
Gaea's Cradle
Horizon Canopy
Wasteland
Maze of Ith

A very grind-oriented list, pretty much. Titan+towers+homeward path is amazing against control, as is the general dispersal of power brought by Stoneforge+Thrun. Both Garruks are great, though Relentless especially is just insane. Been thinking about a version that cuts some of the combo fluff (Hulk, Saffi, Melira, perhaps Lark and KGuide) and just put in Conscription and more beaters/Planeswalkers. Leaves the toolboxy things and the option to pull the trigger with Conscription or Invulnerable Titan, but gives the deck some more board position-oriented slots to use. Might be bad, might not be, I guess testing will tell ^^

Dreamer

Some testing agmes later, the Hulk-less version wins well enough, but is goddamn boring. Gotta be able to pull the trigger, otherwise it just isn't proper. Trying out random funchantments, currently Debtors' Knell again. The general idea is to havebackup plan after backup plan, and to be able to win on resource-starved boards. This generally means bomby non-Pattern enchantments for Rector. Stoneforge & The Swords continues to impress as the best board presence band in the biz, pulling off awesome jigs like "Turning the Bird into a Killer" and other such alltime greats.