Main Menu

GBW combo - Pattern-Rector

Started by Tiggupiru, 09-08-2010, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball.Lightning

On Dark Depths:
It is true, that to tutor whole combo one must be pretty desperate. But Hexmage is pretty solid creature on its own and Depths is just the way to abuse it. I like to have some backup plan, when my oponent wrecks continuously my GY. Can bring some suprising wins.

On Garruk:
Garruk gives us a creature for Natural Order, ramps to Sun Titan, Hulk or even Terastrodon. Sometimes he can bring one turn clock for oponent via overrun. I agree, that he is not a must. I thought of removing him, but he is still very powerful card.

On Consctription:
I tried version with it and without it. I need more testing to bring judgement on this. This card makes A.Rector even more dangerous, because without this in deck, one need 2 other creatures besides rector in play (one of them sac. outlet) to make hulk combo work - this is sometimes hard to achieve. With Eldrazi Conscr. any creature + one shot sacrifice efect can run the avalanche.

On Bone Shredder:
I like the fact, he is 3cmc so works great with Sun Titan - Accually he is best creature working with him. I will test Skinrender though.

Last word on Harmonic Sliver:
I grade Quasali < Sliver. Sliver leaves small but important body behind him after it does its job. To combo of deck needs a least one creature for Conscription or Recuring Nightmare. "Body or no-body matters" ;-)

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Ball.Lightning on 22-02-2011, 09:24:28 PM
On Dark Depths:
It is true, that to tutor whole combo one must be pretty desperate. But Hexmage is pretty solid creature on its own and Depths is just the way to abuse it. I like to have some backup plan, when my oponent wrecks continuously my GY. Can bring some suprising wins.

I don't grade Hexmage too good of a card, but it's not the worst. However, I still think Grave Titan and Stoneforge Mystic are better alternative plans.

Quote from: Ball.Lightning on 22-02-2011, 09:24:28 PMOn Bone Shredder:
I like the fact, he is 3cmc so works great with Sun Titan - Accually he is best creature working with him. I will test Skinrender though.

It's sick synergy, all right. It's not a horrible card either, but I rather have a decent-sized body around. I do suspect that Shredder might be better in four colored version.

Quote from: Ball.Lightning on 22-02-2011, 09:24:28 PMLast word on Harmonic Sliver:
I grade Quasali < Sliver. Sliver leaves small but important body behind him after it does its job. To combo of deck needs a least one creature for Conscription or Recuring Nightmare. "Body or no-body matters" ;-)

Qasali is better when there are no targets. Beats for three, costs less, and the Exalted helps getting damage through. Harmonic's ETB is also not optional, so it will destroy stuff, regardless if you want it to or not. Deck that has some decent targets can't completely ignore that. Last but not least, you can have active Pattern without sac-outlets, if you have the Pridemage.

Dreamer

Bump. I reconstructed the deck again. Went back to the original dedicated combo style with GBW colors, 3cc Husks and whatnot, although Stoneforge+UR+GB swords package was too easy and insane not to include. I just found I like it much more than Janne's beatdown version with the Titans. Still missing real duals and Cradle : /
Will post decklist later this week.

@Tiggupiru Speaking of the beatdown list, did you play the beatdown version, did you play it in the champs or did Birthing Pod steer you into a more combo-oriented direction again?

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Dreamer on 17-05-2011, 03:49:57 PM
Bump. I reconstructed the deck again. Went back to the original dedicated combo style with GBW colors, 3cc Husks and whatnot, although Stoneforge+UR+GB swords package was too easy and insane not to include. I just found I like it much more than Janne's beatdown version with the Titans. Still missing real duals and Cradle : /
Will post decklist later this week.

@Tiggupiru Speaking of the beatdown list, did you play the beatdown version, did you play it in the champs or did Birthing Pod steer you into a more combo-oriented direction again?

More beatdown oriented. I dropped the Sun Titan, because I had trouble generating double white. Sun Titan does get better with the Pod, so that might have been a mistake.

Quote from: Dreamer on 17-05-2011, 03:49:57 PM...Will post decklist later this week...
Can you update your list?

I would build a pure combo-version of this deck.
with all good tutors, includes flesh writer, green sun zenith and the new birthing pod!

Dreamer

//Rector Pod

//Creatures:
Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Elves of Deep Shadow
Arbor Elf
Fyndhorn Elves
Llanowar Elves

Viscera Seer
Carrion Feeder

Bloodthrone Vampire
Saffi Eriksdotter
Fauna Shaman

Wall of Roots
Lotus Cobra
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Sylvan Ranger

Wall of Blossoms
Qasali Pridemage
Stoneforge Mystic
Tidehollow Sculler
Mesmeric Fiend

Knight of the Reliquary
Nantuko Husk
Phyrexian Ghoul
Yavimaya Elder
Eternal Witness
Kitchen Finks

Academy Rector
Ranger of Eos
Ravenous Baloth //Eats Hulk
Skinrender
Fleshwrither
Dimir House Guard
Phyrexian Metamorph //Test slot

Karmic Guide
Reveillark
Shriekmaw

Yosei, the Morning Star

Protean Hulk
Terastodon

//Other permanents:
Sensei's Divining Top

Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Feast and Famine
Recurring Nightmare
Phyrexian Arena
Oblivion Ring

Birthing Pod
Faith's Fetters
Pattern of Rebirth

Debtors' Knell //Test slot

//Other spells:
Inquisition of Kozilek
Duress
Thoughtseize
Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Tutor
Crop Rotation
Swords to Plowshares

Eladamri's Call
Grim Discovery
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Intent

Vindicate
Maelstrom Pulse

Natural Order

Primal Command
Living Death

Green Sun's Zenith
Chord of Calling

//Lands:
5x Forest
4x Plains
3x Swamp

Arid Mesa
Wooded Foothills
Marsh Flats
Polluted Delta
Misty Rainforest
Flooded Strand
Windswept Heath
Verdant Catacombs

Temple Garden
Overgrown Tomb
Godless Shrine

Reflecting Pool

Brushland
Llanowar Wastes
Sunpetal Grove
Twilight Mire
Wooded Bastion
Horizon Canopy

Stirring Wildwood
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Wasteland
Volrath's Stronghold
Phyrexian Tower

Notes on deck:
No duals/Cradle due to budget
Probably 101 or 102 cards
Holyshit it's good to be playing combo again
Conscription is probably better than Knell, but I'll keep testing for a while moar.

Dreamer

Modified the deck again. After a brief stint with the blue splash, I just came to the conclusion that it takes up too much space - the deck is already bursting apart from all the good tutors! Soon we don't have any cards that actually do stuff left! Main changes from the above list are:

1. Going back to Conscription - Knell was fine sometimes, but overall it was more cute than effective. Same for Progenitus in the same slot. Conscription's strength is that it requires less from the board and doesn't consume the Pattern from the deck. Progenitus has neither of these.

2. Adding Dryad Arbor. It's just too versatile to not use. Turns Chord and Green Sun into mana accelerants, and gives that elusive extra body from out of thin air. Yeah, drawing it sucks. So does drawing Hulk.

3. Xantid Swarm and Starved Rusalka. Rusalka is Green Sun/Natural Order fodder, and Xantid self-explanatory. I want to see if having a disruptive Ranger target is any good or not.

//Pattern-Rector

//Creatures:

Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Elves of Deep Shadow
Arbor Elf
Fyndhorn Elves
Llanowar Elves

Viscera Seer
Carrion Feeder
Starved Rusalka
Xantid Swarm

Bloodthrone Vampire
Saffi Eriksdotter
Fauna Shaman

Wall of Roots
Lotus Cobra
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Sylvan Ranger

Wall of Blossoms
Qasali Pridemage
Stoneforge Mystic
Tidehollow Sculler

Knight of the Reliquary
Nantuko Husk
Phyrexian Ghoul
Yavimaya Elder
Eternal Witness
Kitchen Finks

Academy Rector
Ranger of Eos
Ravenous Baloth
Skinrender
Fleshwrither
Dimir House Guard
Entomber Exarch

Reveillark
Karmic Guide
Shriekmaw

Yosei, the Morning Star

Protean Hulk
Terastodon

//Other permanents:

Sensei's Divining Top

Sword of Fire and Ice
Recurring Nightmare
Oblivion Ring

Birthing Pod
Pattern of Rebirth
Faith's Fetters

Yawgmoth's Bargain
Eldrazi Conscription

//Other spells:

Inquisition of Kozilek
Duress
Thoughtseize
Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Tutor
Crop Rotation

Eladamri's Call
Regrowth
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Intent

Vindicate
Maelstrom Pulse

Natural Order

Primal Command
Living Death

Green Sun's Zenith
Chord of Calling

//Lands:

5  Forest
4  Plains
3  Swamp

Arid Mesa
Wooded Foothills
Marsh Flats
Polluted Delta
Misty Rainforest
Flooded Strand
Windswept Heath
Verdant Catacombs

Temple Garden
Overgrown Tomb
Godless Shrine

Brushland
Llanowar Wastes
Sunpetal Grove
Twilight Mire
Wooded Bastion
Horizon Canopy

Stirring Wildwood
Dryad Arbor
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Wasteland
Volrath's Stronghold
Phyrexian Tower

//TODO:
Add Metamorph. What to cut is the eternal problem : /

Dreamer

New version:

- Entomber Exarch (lackluster)
- Sylvan Ranger
- Faith's Fetters
+ Phyrexian Metamorph (just too good)
+ Viridian Emissary (just better than Ranger)
+ Beast Within (testing, should be more widely useful)

Also, been toying with:
- some card (Crop Rotation or Living Death?)
+ Primeval Titan

Dreamer

Here's Markku Heikkilä's list from Ropecon (7th place, although the tournament isn't terribly serious):

Fyndhorn Elves
Llanowar Elves
Arbor Elf
Elves of Deep Shadow
Boreal Druid
Noble Hierarch
Birds of Paradise

Lotus Cobra
Viridian Emissary
Sylvan Ranger
Sakura-tribe Elder
Wall of Roots

Wall of Blossoms
Wall of Omens

Eternal Witness
Knight of the Reliquary
Kitchen Finks
Yavimaya Elder

Qasali Pridemage
Fauna Shaman
Stoneforge Mystic
Tidehollow Sculler
Saffi Eriksdotter

Carrion Feeder
Viscera Seer
Bloodthrone Vampire

Academy Rector
Skinrender
Ravenous Baloth
Fleshwrither
Dimir House Guard
Phyrexian Metamorph

Shriekmaw
Reveillark
Karmic Guide

Yosei, the Morning Star
Grave Titan

Terastodon
Protean Hulk

Thoughtseize
Duress
Inquisition of Kozilek
Sylvan Tutor
Worldly Tutor
Crop Rotation
Green Sun's Zenith
Sensei's Divining Top
Swords to Plowshares

Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Intent
Eladamri's Call
Grim Discovery

Chord of Calling
Recurring Nightmare
Oblivion Ring
Maelstrom Pulse
Vindicate
Beast Within
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow

Birthing Pod
Pattern of Rebirth
Natural Order

Living Death
Primal Command

Eldrazi Conscription

Savannah
Bayou
Scrubland
Temple Garden
Overgrown Tomb
Godless Shrine
Misty Rainforest
Verdant Catacombs
Wooded Foothills
Marsh Flats
Polluted Delta
Windswept Heath
Arid Mesa
Bloodstained Mire
Flooded Strand
Razorverge Thicket
Stirring Wildwood
Llanowar Wastes
Phyrexian Tower
Volrath's Stronghold
Dryad Arbor
Horizon Canopy
Fetid Heath
4 Swamp
5 Forest
2 Plains

More mana, less Husks, Grave Titan over Bargain and Beast Within over Fetters, otherwise pretty standard.

Dreamer

It's raining decklists! My new build:

Full changelist from previous posted list:
- Ranger of Eos
- Nantuko Husk
- Xantid Swarm
- Starved Rusalka
- Entomber Exarch
- Faith's Fetters

+ Phyrexian Metamorph
+ Viridian Emissary
+ Beast Within
+ Mesmeric Fiend
+ Primeval Titan
+ Grave Titan

Fetters=>Beast Within
Eos=> Primeval
Xantid=>Mesmeric

Just cards that do the same stuff, but better. With Eos gone, Xantid and Rusalka lose their reason for being in the deck.
Primeval in particular I see as being better than Sun Titan: It provides graveyard recursion, a sacrifice outlet, is green and just ramps.
If I really need an extra body for some reason, I can fetch Arbor anyway.

Rusalka => Emissary
Exarch => Metamorph
Husk => Grave Titan
No need for Rusalka, so in with the mana. Otherwise all three are just general workhorse cards that annoy everyone somehow.

//Creatures:

Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Elves of Deep Shadow
Arbor Elf
Fyndhorn Elves
Llanowar Elves

Viscera Seer
Carrion Feeder

Bloodthrone Vampire
Saffi Eriksdotter
Fauna Shaman

Wall of Roots
Lotus Cobra
Overgrown Battlement
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Viridian Emissary
Sylvan Ranger

Wall of Blossoms
Qasali Pridemage
Stoneforge Mystic
Tidehollow Sculler
Mesmeric Fiend

Knight of the Reliquary
Phyrexian Ghoul
Yavimaya Elder
Eternal Witness
Kitchen Finks

Academy Rector
Ravenous Baloth
Skinrender
Fleshwrither
Dimir House Guard
Phyrexian Metamorph
Thrun, the Last Troll

Reveillark
Karmic Guide
Shriekmaw

Yosei, the Morning Star
Primeval Titan
Grave Titan

Protean Hulk
Terastodon

//Other permanents:

Sensei's Divining Top

Sword of Fire and Ice

Sword of Light and Shadow
Recurring Nightmare
Oblivion Ring

Birthing Pod
Pattern of Rebirth

Batterskull

Yawgmoth's Bargain
Eldrazi Conscription

//Other spells:

Inquisition of Kozilek
Duress
Thoughtseize
Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Tutor
Crop Rotation

Eladamri's Call
Regrowth
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Intent

Vindicate
Maelstrom Pulse
Beast Within

Natural Order

Primal Command
Living Death

Green Sun's Zenith
Chord of Calling

//Lands:

5  Forest
4  Plains
3  Swamp

Arid Mesa
Wooded Foothills
Marsh Flats
Polluted Delta
Misty Rainforest
Flooded Strand
Windswept Heath
Verdant Catacombs

Temple Garden
Overgrown Tomb
Godless Shrine

Brushland
Llanowar Wastes
Sunpetal Grove
Twilight Mire
Wooded Bastion
Horizon Canopy

Stirring Wildwood
Dryad Arbor
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Wasteland
Volrath's Stronghold
Phyrexian Tower

EDIT: Some stuff out, some stuff in

Dreamer

A combo/control remix of the above:

- Stoneforge Mystic
- Sword of Fire and Ice
- Sword of Feast and Famine
- Yawgmoth's Bargain

- Urborg
- Plains

+ Intuition
+ Gifts Ungiven
+ Fleshbag Marauder
+ Devoted Druid

+ Tropical Island
+ Island

Absolutely no idea if this will work, but I'm going to try. Because, let's face it, Stoneforge is just fucking boring. Now, Intuition for Rector, Order, Nightmare? Gifts for Titan, Titan, Witness, Nightmare or something? I'm loving it already.

Fleshbag Marauder removal that hits black and is a creature. Random side-effects include transforming your own guys into beaters and blanking Exhume. Whether it's correct is anyone's guess. Devoted Druid is green, a creature, explosive mana, and kills itself. Sounds like something worth testing.

That's all folks.

Tabris

Just want to say:

Finally a Pattern-Rector deck which got into T8 at a huge tournament. I hope I get the list from the player who beat me in the quarterfinals :|

ChristophO

Hi there,

I made 4th place at the Highlander event at the german nationals with Gbw Pattern-Rector.
Regarding my list those are the changes (I know of) to the list posted on Tabris (?) blog from fall 2010:

creatures:
- Vampire aristocrat
- fleshwrither
- Boreal druid
- elvish visionary
- obstinate baloth
+ Ravenous Baloth
+ Thrun, the last Troll
+ Stoneforge Mystic
+ Skinrender
+ Shriekmaw

non creatures:
- Idyllic tutor
- night's whisper
- grim discovery
- tainted pact
- phyrexian arena
- cabal therapy

+ Sword of fire and ice
+ batterskull
+ birthing pod
+ green sun's zenith
+ Inquisition of Kozilek
+ Oblivion Ring

Cards I missed or cut (and was wrong about):
phyrexian arena
sunpetal grove
garruk (4cc)

Decks I played against:
I played against (in no particular order)
u/w Tempo (with evasion beatdown)
u/g Tempo (with evasion beatdown)
Gbw Rock deck
3* generic Goodstuff lists (1 loss)
ID 7th round

Quarterfinals:
U/G aggro/control
Semifinals:
generic goodstuff again

Some stuff I remember about the matches:
Gbw Rock match was epic (3rd round I believe). My opponent is taken away at the begining of the match and receives a game loss for a deck list mistake. It takes 12 mintues to sort out what went wrong and we start the second game. We both flood a bit and trade hand and permanents on board pretty heavily. Beiing at 8 mana and ~10 life I topdeck demonic tutor with my only hand card being a batterskull I way planning on deploying that turn (keeping up 3 mana). I change plans to tutor and cast Bargain instead. Of course my opponent follows up with spike weaver and after three turns of fogging has a Genesis which threatens to lock me out of the game (recurring weaver to deny life gain via my batterskull). After trying to avoid the genesis by equipping my Shriekmaw I get blown out by removal on the shriekmaw. I draw a bunch of card dropping to one life finally killing the genesis and attacking with an equipped phyrexian ghoul which consumes most of my spare creatures boosting life back into a healthy double digit numbers. I draw Lark on second main phase and decide to gamble for a way to find Karmic guide before the end of turn (Saffi is already in my yard). I find guide, hardcast Lark, EoT discard Guide due to handsize and can reanimate my complete graveyard on oppponents end of draw step nuking his hand with tideholllow sculler and and his board with a skinrender. Awesome game that took close to 40 minutes (while neither of us played slow).

My first match loss happened in round 5. First game my opponent is back on the baord and in mana troubles when he uses eladamri's call to get a card placed face down in front of his lands (I also often do this when I find a good target but want to check for alternatives). After he finishes shuffling I cut his deck and he picks up the face down card, adds it to his hand does a quick shuffle of the hand; collapses the hand into a single pile and proceeds to cast Noble Hierarch. I call a judge stating that my opponent just failed to reveal a card but that I believe he simply forgot.
After the game loss I lose the next two games quickly, of course (both games quick fauna shaman plus planeswalkers that I could not handle). Karma is a harsh mistress for sure... . Nevertheless I would call a judge again. While I am pretty sure my opponent did not cheat there are also prizes to be won and at the end of day it is everybodies job to play by the rules. We were both looking for a rematch in the semis after both making the top 8 but Patrick Richter had other plans ;-)

In round six my opponent is playing a blue white deck with pretty bad cards but a great deck plan. Sadly I do not have to mulligan even a single card in the two games we play and I can combo off safely both times before he can deal lethal damage. In the second game my very first draw is the protean hulk. Because my hand is pretty much all in on the combo I proceed to EoT discard Hulk aiming to find and abuse Living death with the demonic in hand. The plan luckily worked out as well.

Round 7 I ID reasoning that most guys will not draw and that I have a chance bigger than 50% by far of making it and in case of missing the cut receiving a better price than with a loss.

In the quarterfinals I have a solid hand game 1 and keep drawing answers in the very few first turns which annoys me because I want discard to protect tutors instead realizing I am playingf against a deck with counterspells and beats. After the scavenging ooze shows up I am much happier. We proceed to fight over it for a couple of turns and I can combo off quickly enough. On the second game I have a nutty hand (see round 6) once more but both decks decide to not deliver lands with both of us stuck at 2 lands. Eventhough Tabris finds his lands quicker my hand is full of awesome cards. With lethal on board I have to combo on this turn and find a route to victory

My board:
3 lands (2green, 1 g/w white mana)  
1 Pyhrexian tower (1 colorless or sacc dude for two Black)
1 Llanowar Elf (not sick)

My hand:
Thoughtseize
Academy Rector
Carrion feeder
Eladamri's call

Tabris has no open mana but you know he is playing Daze, Force and Mental Missstep. What is the most likely route to victory?

After finishing my quarter finals I head over to the table where my semis opponent is determined. Their gaem is still at 0-0. At some point I can witness how Patrick is playing top there. He looks at upkeep, tanking preety hard on which card to draw (that is okay I guess) then reaches a decision and draws a card to proceed to tank again. I do not know what kind of new information Patrick had to deal with but I firmly belive that upon reaching a decision he should know all his next plays until he recieves new information by a response from his opponent or because he can see new cards. By the time I finished the semifinals I had outlasted table judge number 3 watching me and my opponents play...

Semi finals:
I open a pretty bad hand game 1 and the spoiler mulligan does not really fix it. I lose g1 after some attrition due to the Cared advantage on Patrick's side (Fact or fiction plus Jace). In the second game I spoil again but am low an lands. I keep a hand with strong cards but am light on mana (only forest + twilight mire diabling a T2 Sculler). I start with forest go while patrick plays mox D, Fetch for dual, play noble H. + Elf. I draw a fetchland and land Sylvan library; Patrick has a birtinhg pod plus activation T2 getting a SfM and a SoFaI in the process. I snatch the Sword with the Sculler but never find time to deal with the pod.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: ChristophO on 15-08-2011, 07:01:11 PMWith lethal on board I have to combo on this turn and find a route to victory

My board:
3 lands (2green, 1 g/w white mana)  
1 Pyhrexian tower (1 colorless or sacc dude for two Black)
1 Llanowar Elf (not sick)

My hand:
Thoughtseize
Academy Rector
Carrion feeder
Eladamri's call

Tabris has no open mana but you know he is playing Daze, Force and Mental Missstep. What is the most likely route to victory?

Lovely situation. :)

Haven't been playing the deck in ages, so I needed to give it a serious thought. Play Rector leaving the Tower up, sac Rector with it and find Pattern for the elf. Play Thoughtseize to make sure coast is clear and play Feeder. You lose to Force, or if they have both Misstep and Daze (misstep seize, daze the feeder or vice versa), otherwise you win.

Tabris

To make the situation even more difficult. I had a Top and could have hidden the force beneath the top 3 cards or the mental mistep. :D