Main Menu

M11

Started by GoblinPiledriver, 11-06-2010, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiggupiru

Whiops. A typo. I was referring to Oona the whole time.

Tiggupiru

Leyline of Anticipation - Not going to cut it in HL. I doubt it sees play elsewhere either as it is horrible if you draw multiples. It's powerful, but you almost never want to pay four mana and a card for this effect which makes this very awkward in HL.

Fauna Shaman - Comparing this to survival is stupid, they both give you the same effect, but this requires full turn to get active, activates only once per turn, and it's much more easy to remove. That being said, this is a solid creature. If you are combo, or some kind of aggro-control, you might want to enlist her. Just don't dust off your old Survival decks and replace it with this expecting everything to be like it used to. Genesis, Squee and other bad cards should not be in your deck just because this gives them a little synergy.

coldcrow

Fauna Shaman is an elf. Yet another very good creature for them.

Leyline will see play in Legacy/vintage because it pitches to Force. The only question is if there will be a deck taking full advantatge of it. Personal tutor, Timetwister, duress, seize, etc. are all very good EOT plays.

Crystal Ball will be played. Especially decks like the Mono-U-artifact can take full advantage. Sensei + Ball = dig 5 cards deep each turn for 2 mana.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: coldcrow on 01-07-2010, 01:10:10 PM
Fauna Shaman is an elf. Yet another very good creature for them.

True. Good tribal synergies.

Quote from: coldcrow on 01-07-2010, 01:10:10 PMLeyline will see play in Legacy/vintage because it pitches to Force. The only question is if there will be a deck taking full advantatge of it. Personal tutor, Timetwister, duress, seize, etc. are all very good EOT plays.

I am not sure about it seeing play. I know very little of legacy and even less about vintage, but I would guess they prefer plays that are not card disadvantage. It's good in control mirrors and stuff (and only if it's in your opening hand), but elsewhere not so much. And you have better cards in control mirrors anyway.

Quote from: coldcrow on 01-07-2010, 01:10:10 PMCrystal Ball will be played. Especially decks like the Mono-U-artifact can take full advantage. Sensei + Ball = dig 5 cards deep each turn for 2 mana.

Another one that I dismiss as a unplayable. Three mana for a card that gives no card advantage, has no legs, and requires mana to be used for an effect that is not that good, is just too much. Sure, you could argue about the virtual card advantage it will bring, but there aren't many cases this even provides that. I mean, once you have like three good cards on top your deck, this does nothing for two turns.

The sensei synergy is nothing too spectacular either, if you need to dig for a specific card, there are tutors that actually finds the card in question in a reasonable time. And even with sensei, this is really bad once you filter couple of lands on the bottom and need to draw those good cards first to start using this for a profit again.

--

Edit -

Temple Bell - Missed this one completely. It's a weak howling mine, but the decks that want this effect, will want to see if this is good enough. I've played horn of greed in my howling mine decks and it was playable. This is almost like horn, so I would imagine this getting a slot. Obviously, has also potential to draw multiples in one turn with artifact untappers. Granted, there aren't many that are playable, but Tezzert is okay.

Kristian

Fauna Shaman... Survival on a creature... It probably will be played.

I don't know about Crystal Ball. I feel a little ambivalent about it. On one hand, it's awesome once it's in play, but it still only provides card selection and it costs 3 to cast. It's good with the top, but wouldn't monoBlue wait until turn 5 so they can have counter backup?

Leyline of Anticipation is kind of weird. But for 4 mana, it just does too little imo :(

Temple Bell? Only included in my silly monored ramp. That's my guess.
There can be only one!

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 01-07-2010, 02:08:18 PM
Temple Bell - Missed this one completely. It's a weak howling mine, but the decks that want this effect, will want to see if this is good enough. I've played horn of greed in my howling mine decks and it was playable. This is almost like horn, so I would imagine this getting a slot. Obviously, has also potential to draw multiples in one turn with artifact untappers. Granted, there aren't many that are playable, but Tezzert is okay.

Quote from: Kristian on 01-07-2010, 02:15:58 PM
Temple Bell? Only included in my silly monored ramp. That's my guess.

Temple Bell will be played in the Black Vise deck and it will be quite awesome in there. The deck is already really hard to deal with if you're control player. Luckily it still doesn't prove that good against aggro. Temple Bell won't work in a RDW or aggro deck like Howling Mine and Font of Mythos doesn't. I don't know about ramp but I doubt it.

GoblinPiledriver

I like the red and blue Leyline.
The blue reminds me of Teferi, but it didn't have flash. Well the main problem of this card will be that you definetly need it on your starting hand and it's a bad topdeck. So maybe it will see play but definetly not often.

The red Leyline solves the old red problem of not coming along with protection red creatures, or recurring lifegain.
But it's a good question if you really had to lay aside a slot in your red deck for this. So I see here the same expectation as the blue Leyline.

The Fauna Shaman will definetly see play. And it's maybe the best M11 card. Survival was overpowered, now you can use the new version only once in a round and it have a good grizzli bear body. So it's even a better body like Dark Confidant or Lotus Cobra(both 2/1). So Survival is back fixed, maybe more vulnerable but with a offensive body.

Crystal Ball is good no doubt, Crystal Ball is even better than Sensei's Diving Top, but it's far more expensive. And Top could save itself from being destroyed. Crystal Ball don't have this ability.
With Top you couldn't lay aside cards. You had to wait like drawing normal or till you can shuffle. Crystal Ball can automaticly negate bad cards.
The 3 mana in it's casting cost will lead to the problem that it will be played once in while, Sensei's Divining Top meanwhile will still be played in almost every non aggro deck.
I don't see the potencial of Crystal Ball + Top
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 02-07-2010, 05:56:17 PM
The red Leyline solves the old red problem of not coming along with protection red creatures, or recurring lifegain.
But it's a good question if you really had to lay aside a slot in your red deck for this. So I see here the same expectation as the blue Leyline.

Would you play the far superior Everlasting Torment (which I think is pretty unplayable in HL) in any deck? If the answer is not, this has no chance.

Kristian

Sulfuric Vortex > the red leyline, too in all but a few situations. If you're losing a damage race or if you need to kill a pro red creature with a red burn all spell. Of course the leyline is nice on your starting hand, but it'll probably not do much during the first few turns anyway. This does circumvent counterspells but leaves it vulnerable to removal.
There can be only one!

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 02-07-2010, 06:12:26 PM
Would you play the far superior Everlasting Torment (which I think is pretty unplayable in HL) in any deck? If the answer is not, this has no chance.

I totally agree.

Quote from: Kristian on 02-07-2010, 07:14:03 PM
Sulfuric Vortex > the red leyline, too in all but a few situations. If you're losing a damage race or if you need to kill a pro red creature with a red burn all spell. Of course the leyline is nice on your starting hand, but it'll probably not do much during the first few turns anyway. This does circumvent counterspells but leaves it vulnerable to removal.

I totally agree.

coldcrow

Wow. Is this set bonkers for a core set or what?

Some more playable cards for HL:

Brittle Effigy (1)
Artifact
4,T,Exile ~: Exile target creature

Activation cost is a bit high but can be searched with the Mage increasing the Toolbox by 1.

Sword of Vengeance (3)
Artifact - Equip
3: Equip
Equipped Creature gets +2/+0 FS,Trample,Lifelink,Haste

Not bad at all. One more to search with Mystic.

Elixir of Immortality (1)
Artifact
2,T:gain 5 life.Shuffle ~ and your GY into your library.

Upgraded Feldon's cane. Maybe useful in Oath or other GY combo decks.

Serra Ascendant W
Lifelink
If you have >= 30 life, ~ gets +5/+5 and flying.
1/1

One more for the Martyr deck ;), Seriously with all the goodies white gets lately I can see some MW-Aggro/Control hybrid evolving.

Kristian

Dark Tutelage 2b
Enchantment    Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

Dark Confidant without a body? Meh... May be played though not as good I think.

Cyclops Gladiator 1rrr
Creature - Giant    Rare
When Cyclops Gladiator attacks, you may have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature defending player controls. If you do, that creature deals damage equal to its power to Cyclops Gladiator.
4/4

4 power for 4 mana and it could shoot blockers allowing you to give even more damage. No haste though. Suited for RDW perhaps.

Hornet Sting   g
Instant    Common
Hornet Sting deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Green burn spell... Do they even get played? xD

Quag Sickness   2b
Enchantment - Aura    Common
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets -1/-1 for each Swamp you control.

Another removal for MBC?

Brittle Effigy 1
Artifact    Rare
4,{T}, exile Brittle Effigy: Exile target creature.

Looks interesting, circumvent those pesky protection from {colour}.

Reverberate   rr
Instant    Rare
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Red twincast? Gonna go straight into my silly red deck ^^.

Wild Evocation   5r
Enchantment    Rare
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player reveals a card at random from his or her hand. If it's a land card, the player puts in onto battlefield. Otherwise, the players casts it without paying its mana cost if able.

Too random? It seems expensive, so I don't think hypergenesis will like this one.

Deflect UU
Instant   Rare
You may choose new targets for target spell.

A swerve that can target spells with multiple targets? I like! Though it probably does too little to see play.
There can be only one!

Tiggupiru

None of those cards will see play. And neither does the Green leyline (as if you needed me to tell you how bad it is). The only even remotely possible exception, is the Brittle Effigy, as it can be fetched with trinket mage. I highly doubt it though, as Executioner's capsule is almost the same deal with less mana, and that has not seen play.

Tiggupiru

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=254102

Quote***** Leviathan
5UUU
8/8
Islandwalk
All lands are Islands in addition to their original type.
Creatures without flying or islandwalk can't attack.
Rare

Moat that hits for unblockable 8. A bit of an stretch, but is a possible reanimator target, although lacking in the shroud department. I am not familiar enough with the reanimator deck that I could say if this has the stats to be second Blazing Archon, or if they even need one.

Call to Mind - Combo decks will replace Relearn with this, and some will choose to play both, to enable Intuition/Gifts shenanigans.

coldcrow

Destructive Force 5rr
Each players sacs 5 lands. ~ deals 5 damage to each creature.

Stax player rejoice. Slightly more expensive wildfire #3.