Main Menu

M11

Started by GoblinPiledriver, 11-06-2010, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristian

I misread it earlier, thought it only was when it attacked. I can think of alot of good cards which it can get, everything from staple creatures like Kitchen Finks/Trinket Mage/Dark Confidant/Goyf to other utility/removals like Pernicious Deed/Recurring Nightmare/Jace Beleren/Vedalken Shackles and the like. I can see it fill some niches, but I still think it's too expensive to be a new Baneslayer Angel.
There can be only one!

Nastaboi

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 11-06-2010, 03:47:55 PM
Æther Adept                      1uu   
Creature - Human Wizard    Common
When Æther Adept enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner's hand.
                                2/2
The new Man'O War. With double blue mana less attractive.But it's still a new strong card for Mono-U-Skies and UG-aggrocontrol.
Preordain                      u   
Sorcery    Common
Scry 2, then draw a card.

Clone of Serum Visions, would improve Nastaboi's High Tide for his Spellweaver Volute.

I cannot tell which one I like more, but they'll both be in my High Tide from the midst of July. Preordain is infinitely better than both Serum Visions and Sleight of Hand, it's almost Ponder good.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tiggupiru

Sun Titan will probably see play in some decks. Unique ability and potentially multiple triggers makes this creature attractive enough. Six mana is a lot, and Baneslayer this is not. Just think of this as a mini-cascade that triggers even when cheated in to play. Vigilance is also a big plus because you don't need to give up any defence to get the trigger.

As long as you avoid putting this to a deck that is not loaded with synergy and potential targets, this can be good or even great. I think I want to try this in my Pattern-Rector deck.

I also wonder if there is a way to win just by oathing into this guy (I mean, you do get two activations, as you are obviously playing dragon breath).

GoblinPiledriver

I think it's not good idea of oathing into Sun Titan. You would need to hit excatly or (at least) 3 cards. Dragon Breath and the two card combo. And you would be in a bad position if this don't happen.
If you seek a combo for Oath, why don't you try out Auriok Salvager + Lions Eye Diamond + Pyrite Spellbomb or Sunbeam Spellbomb.
There you would need to hit 2 cards.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 18-06-2010, 01:00:20 AM
I think it's not good idea of oathing into Sun Titan. You would need to hit excatly or (at least) 3 cards. Dragon Breath and the two card combo. And you would be in a bad position if this don't happen.

You are most likely correct, but there exists numerous ways to give Oathed guy haste, and if the combo pieces are redundant, you could hit it more often than not. Not to mention, Oathing again on the next turn is okay, if you have Krosan Reclamation or something similar. I just wonder if there is a better combo than Squirrel Nest + Earthcraft.

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 18-06-2010, 01:00:20 AMIf you seek a combo for Oath, why don't you try out Auriok Salvager + Lions Eye Diamond + Pyrite Spellbomb or Sunbeam Spellbomb.

Mostly because Lion's Eye Diamond is banned.

Kassow-Rossing

Quote from: pyyhttu on 15-06-2010, 06:10:26 PM
Quote from: Kassow-RossingSun Titan will not get any close to the Highlander format.

How do you know? Name another creature card that has a similar unique effect the Titan now possesses.

You can't find any, meaning you can't dismiss it all that fast.

Of course there exists no creature with the same effect yet! That doesn't mean I can't argue for the fact that this guy won't see competitive Highlander play. You can't name another creature for six mana that doesn't have any kind of protection existing in the Highlander competitive environment. By "protection" I mean stuff like Indestructible, Protection, Shroud, Persist and/or Regeneration and similiar stuff.

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 15-06-2010, 07:41:09 PM
Poor casual card?
I don't think so. He returns a card to the battlefield just by coming into play. And he do it every round if he doesn't get shot down.
Yeah of course 6 Mana is much but the effect reminds me of cards like Baneslayer Angel or Jace the Mind Sculptor and these cards could get removed quite easily as the Titan.

How can a CvmCost 6 creature remind you of a CvmCost 5 creature or a Planeswalker? And Sun Titan doesn't have ANY ability that looks like Baneslayer og Jace. Not even remotely. Sun Titan is a bomb in drafting and Cube games. It is a collector's card. It won't see standard or Highlander play. At least I won't lose to a deck that includes Sun Titan :) The reason why Baneslayer actually sees play, is because it's a finisher and a great one of the kind. The reason why Jace sees play, is because it's a utility box filled with awesome stuff. Don't compare the two most expensive cards in standard with a Core Set participation prize card ;)

GoblinPiledriver

I will tell you what reminds me of Baneslayer(Budgetslayer) or Jace 2.0.
If you play Sun Titan you get directly a permanent with comc 3 or less back into play.
And in every round which he attacks you also get this effect.

This means pure card advantage, just like Jace,the Mind Scupltor he draws cards and can bounce creatures.
And the Baneslayer makes a 10 lifeswing, which made it nearly impossible to make a damage race against.

So with such card or life advantage all 3 cards need a quick removal from the opponent or it's too late.

Well, I just see the Sun Titans potential compared to Jace and Baneslayer.

Only Baneslayer is 1 mana cheaper, but he is exact vulnerable against removal like the Sun Titan.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

pyyhttu

Quote from: Troll?That doesn't mean I can't argue for the fact  that this guy won't see competitive Highlander play. You can't name another creature for six mana that doesn't have any kind of protection existing in the Highlander competitive environment. By "protection" I mean stuff like Indestructible, Protection, Shroud, Persist and/or Regeneration and similiar stuff.

You can argue, but not as an fact (emphasis mine). You are only entitled to your opinion, as am I. So let's dance.

m t:creature cmc=6 NOT (o:indestructible or o:shroud or o:persist or o:regeneration)

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3Acreature+cmc%3D6+NOT+%28o%3Aindestructible+or+o%3Ashroud+or+o%3Apersist+or+o%3Aregeneration%29&s=cname&v=card&p=2

Take your pick. I found Exalted Angel with your terms and it's being played on a pretty competitive level.

Regardless of a creature being HL staple it doesn't need fancy protection keywords or castable mana cost. Sometimes an unique* ability alone is enough. Remember Reveillark?

And if you wanted the critter to be competitive AND "unique" (subjective) scroll onward, you should find something...

Mythrandir

i aggree, the titan will surely see some play. It's not as broad as a jace 2.0 or baneslayer IMO, since you need to buid around it (not entirely, but more than with jace or baneslayer).

It won't probably be a staple, but it's unique ability is quite powerful and it has an ETB ability so, it's not a completely wasted card even if it gets STP or whatever. And i for one can see some nice deckbuilders making some awesome mini-combos with this.

Kristian

QuoteNecrotic Plague    2bb
Enchantment - Aura    Rare
Enchant creature

Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature."

When enchanted creature is put into a graveyard, its controller chooses target creature one of his or her opponents controls. Return Necrotic Plague from its owner's graveyard to the battlefield attached to that creature.

This one looks interesting. A pity that it has to "swap" sides.
There can be only one!

Mythrandir

Quote from: Kristian on 23-06-2010, 11:45:57 AM
QuoteNecrotic Plague    2bb
Enchantment - Aura    Rare
Enchant creature

Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature."

When enchanted creature is put into a graveyard, its controller chooses target creature one of his or her opponents controls. Return Necrotic Plague from its owner's graveyard to the battlefield attached to that creature.

This one looks interesting. A pity that it has to "swap" sides.

A bit expensive IMO, but can work well with tokens (awakening zone). But if you want a wog effect this will just take forever.

Kristian

It's just too circumstantial imo :(
There can be only one!

Tiggupiru

It could see play as a really, really bad edict (innocent blood, is probably more accurate comparison), if it would cost one mana. I don't mean a broad play, just some not-the-most-powerful-decks like MBC, or similiar that don't like to play that many creatures. It gets unplayable after you need to play two or more mana for it.

Though, I think it is an interesting option in limited play. Crappy option, but hey, whatever gets rid of those stupid, overpowered bombs you otherwise lose to, has a shot in basic set limited.

Also, comparing Sun Titan to BSA is just plain stupid. They are completely different puppies. One is practically an auto-include in control decks that play the right colors, and other one's playability depends of the rest of your deck.

Kassow-Rossing

Necrotic Plague works really well in multiplayer games. Especially if you're the only player without creatures in the deck. Doesn't work in standard. Not sure about Highlander. Stuff like Elspeth and Awakening Zone will help, but doubt it'll be enough for it to work properly.

Quote from: pyyhttu on 21-06-2010, 07:33:38 PMhttp://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3Acreature+cmc%3D6+NOT+%28o%3Aindestructible+or+o%3Ashroud+or+o%3Apersist+or+o%3Aregeneration%29&s=cname&v=card&p=2
Take your pick. I found Exalted Angel with your terms and it's being played on a pretty competitive level.
Regardless of a creature being HL staple it doesn't need fancy protection keywords or castable mana cost. Sometimes an unique* ability alone is enough. Remember Reveillark?
And if you wanted the critter to be competitive AND "unique" (subjective) scroll onward, you should find something...

Reveillark doesn't cost 6 mana. Exalted Angel actually do, but would never see the light of day if it didn't have "Morph 2WW". So out goes Exalted as well!

I'm sorry but I stand firm. I don't think it will see competitive play more than once (meaning all cards can get lucky one or two times). It is simply too expensive (6 mana) and it's not strong enough to "cheat" into play. Arguments: If you wish to hard cast it, then it's too expensive compared to what it does. If you wish to "cheat" it to battlefield, then it's too weak. Baneslayer is one mana cheaper and stronger still. Jace is a Planeswalker and two mana cheaper! Exalted Angel attacks in turn 4. I don't see Sun Titan doing that. I haven't seena one single creature at 6 mana being really good in Highlander without any of the protective abilities yet.

Guys this is not noob casual EDH. This is Highlander. Sun Titan WILL see play. But not competitive.

GoblinPiledriver

Maybe I should compare Sun Titan more to Rampaging Baloths. Both are 6/6, both cost 6 Mana including 2 colored Mana. The green Man has trample and the white Vigilance. Both with unique abilitys which create card adavantage.

Rampaging Baloths is also a creature for 6 mana whithout protection which has already been played seriously in several decks.