Main Menu

Alternatives to MWS

Started by coldcrow, 24-08-2009, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldcrow

Greetings.

After reading alot of complaints about the instability of MWS and experiencing it myself I am wondering if the community would approve an alternative?

Maybe some know it already: OCTGN 1 or 2 provide nearly the same functionality, but is far more stable in actual playing mode, since you don't need any servers, just a direct connection (although not totally stable). Even better is the autosave function between turns. A downside is that you actually need to get card pics.

If there is interest I would provide links to the program(s) + pics (not sure about legality, although the MWS.site advertises the pics openly too).

TeKo

Is there a complete MasterBase+Pics for OCTGN2?

pyyhttu

For the "Masterbase" and pics: http://www.mediafire.com/sets
For the client (latest snapshot): http://octgndev.wordpress.com/

Do note that the MTG-specific functionality is not yet there, so you are going to have to revert back to MWS anyway. The O2 client has just reached alpha.

OCTGN 1.3.533 has all the features mtg wise (+ game save state & automatic error connection), so that would be more suitable alternative atm.

Edit: And no, I am not author of the said clients nor files. I just host the O1 release notes for my personal needs.

coldcrow

I found a viable alternative in Cockatrice. Link : www.cockatrice.de

Download the latest set.xml file (found under News), copy it to the oracle subfolder, then use the oracle.exe tool in bin folder to download the cards. Check -download pics on the fly- in settings and the program will download the pictures as you need them (apparently from the cockatrice server).
It also has a central server, TCP/IP connecting, and basically the same functionality as MWS( mostly same layout,shortcuts,etc) but is open source and apparently WAY more stable.
The only downside would be a slightly less appealing design, but it is functional. I'd like to have some test games on it.

Opinions?

Mythrandir

Cockatrice? never heard of that, OCTGN, yes... tried and IMO wasnt very user-friendly, but didn't test it too much, i'm willing to give it a go.

Cant we just copy paste the pics that we use in MWS?

coldcrow

Things which won't work (yet):

- tokens are very basic
- taking control of opponents cards (workaround with creating a token)
- explicit P/T stats (right now use counters or brain)
- peeking at morphs

Once these points are implemented, it will be probably a better program for scheduled matches.

-jFk-

I've to say, that since I'm playing on the italian server mws.tipo1.it I've never experienced a game crushing again. I can only really really recommend everyone playing on that server.

coldcrow

Yes, tipo1 is more stable, but this is not the main problem.
You can also host directly without an intermediate server. But MWS has many stability issues besides that.
Taking control of cards is buggy and can crash sometimes. Sometimes just playing card/searching cards crashes. It is very annoying if this happens during a long and drawn out game.

Mythrandir

Quote from: -jFk- on 12-03-2010, 12:29:08 PM
I've to say, that since I'm playing on the italian server mws.tipo1.it I've never experienced a game crushing again. I can only really really recommend everyone playing on that server.

Crashes.... but stable, but still MWS crashes.

r4nd0m1z3r

Hey guys, this article might b helpful.

coldcrow

New version of cockatrice is out. Fixes alot of things, makes the program user friendlier and the best: With Marius Zundert they added an active and competent Vintage player to their dev team.

Please check it out and I'd be happy to test it a bit with someone and give feedback to the dev so we can finally get rid of that MWS.