Main Menu

UGw Aggro Control

Started by MarkusMagic, 02-09-2007, 04:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusMagic

Hi
Here I’d like to introduce another decktype which performed pretty well at the last HL GP. It was played by Thomas Pittner and finished 7th after swiss and was stopped by Nico’s Hulk Flash in the semifinal. The deck was setup really well for the metagame and I think it still has great potential after the last bannings. I play a similar deck myself and think it’s worth a discussion in this forum.
The deck is an Aggro-Control-Deck and is very flexible. First of all I’d like to post the decklist and explain some keycards and point out some diffrences between this deck and other Aggro/Aggrocontrol decks.

Lands:
    5x Forest
    2x Plains
    7x Island
    Tundra
    Tropical Island
    Savannah
    Wastelad
    Treetop Village
    Faerie Conclave
    Breeding Pool
    Rishadan Port
    Mishra’s Factory
    Tranquil Thicket
    Lonely Sandbar
    Yavimaya Hollow
    Horizon Canopy
    Terrmorphic Expanse      
    Polluted Delta
    Windsweapt Heath
    Flooded Strand
    Wooded Foothills

Creatures:
    Squee, Goblin Nabob
    Stonecloaker
    Aven Mindcensor
    Kataki, War’s Mage

Harmonic Sliver
    Loxodon Hierarch
    Trygon Predator
    Mystic Snake
    Anurid Brushhopper
    River Boa
    Llanowar Elves
    Spike Weaver   
    Viridian Shaman
    Hermit Druid
    Eternal Witness
    Genesis
    Wall of Roots
    Birds of Paradise
    Uktabi Orangutan
    Sakura Tribe Elder
    Troll Ascetic
    Tarmogoyf
    Wild Mongrel
    Ravanous Baloth
    Fyndhorn Elves
    Phantom Centaur
    Waterfront Bouncer
    Man-o’-War
    Serendib Efreet
    Venser, Shaper Savant
    Looter il-Kor
    Wonder
    Thought Courier

Spells:
    Swords to Plowshares
    Enlightened Tutor
    Solitary Confindement
    Eladamri’s Call
    Scrabbling Claws
    Phyrexian Furnace
    Aether Vial
    Null Rod
    Crystal Shard
    Mox Diamond
    Worldly Tutor
    Call of the Herd
    Life from the Loam
    Survival of the Fittest
    Back to Basics
    Condescend
    Gush
    Brainstorm
    Intuition
    Upheaval      
    Gifts Ungiven
    Wipe Away
    Counterspell
    Force of Will
    Mana Leak
    Deep Analysis
    Forbid
    Fact or Fiction
    Syncopate
    Misdirection
    Psionic Blast
    Mana Drain
    Circular Logic
    Impulse
    Strategic Planning
    Dissipate

So that was it. In the following I’ll explain some important cards and some problems this deck has in my opinion. Maybe you can comment my decklist and give some advice. Thanks

Lands:

• There is nothing special in this deck exept that there it has many basic lands to support Back to Basics which is one of the more imporant cards for this deck. Especially when the metagame changes to more control decks.
  • In matchups vs. other aggro decks Yavimaya Hollow is very powerful.
  • I don’t like the Expanse that much but the fact that there are only two basic plains in the deck makes it viable.
  • Thomas played Bazaar of  Baghdad in his Top8 version but I don’t have one so I can’t tell anything about it.

Creatures:

• Squee supports Survival of the Fittest and Solitary Confinement. Most often Squee is the first creature you fetch with Survival.
  • I considered to play Basking Rootwalla and Arrogant Wurm but without Survival they are not good enough. What is your opinion on that? I would prefer Rootwalla if I have to choose one of them.
  • Hermit Druid is really good against control decks because he gets the “graveyardaction” going and guarantees the next landdrop.
  • Trygon Predator is one of the cards which do work extremly well against Stax. Thomas deck was extremly good adjusted to the metagame. He won the quaterfinal against Patrick Richter even though Patrick had Mishra’s Workshop in both games. Other powerful creatures against Stax are Kataki, Viridian Shaman, Uktabi Orangutan and Aven Mindcenor.
  • Furthermore Aven Mindcensor makes a great job against control decks. It “counters” Intuition, Gifts and other tutor effects and sometimes even denials an early fetchland.
  • I added Anurid Brushhopper because it’s a good creature against control and it’s very hard to kill for your opponent.
  • I cutted Terferi because it’s pretty hard to cast but. He’s really good when he hits the table but sometimes it was in my hand till the end of the game. Has anyone some other thoughts on that?

All in all the white splash makes the deck much better than a “normal” UG deck. It makes the matchup against Stax and other control decks much better. In addition to that it makes the matchups against aggro decks better because you ave access to Solitary Confinement, Loxodon Hierarch and Enlightened Tutor.

Spells:

• Enlightened Tutor is great against ervery deck. You can search Back to Basics against control decks, Survival of the Fittest in mirror matches or even Solitary Confinement against RDW.
  • Aether Vial is important against control decks and in combination with Survival it can get you a fast victory.
  • Null Rod is most often an “autowin” against stax. It was one of the cards that made Thomas’s deck so powerful. But I don't know if Null Rod is still necessary after the last bannings. What do you think. But maybe it's better to cut kataki.
  • Survival of the Fittest is one of the keycards in this decks. It gives access to Genesis, Wonder and all other solutions needed in several Matchups. In only two or three turns survival can change the whole game.
  • I don’t like Voidslime that much so I cutted it in my version of the deck. I think of putting it back into the deck cause it’s such a flexible card even though I don’t like the manacost.
  • I also added Psionic Blast and Strategic Plannings. I’m just testing them and so far they do quite well.
  • Maybe I should add Crop Rotation. It’s not as great as it is in a 5CC deck but it can search Wasteland, Yavimaya Hollow or Treetop Village. Do you think Crop Rotation is good enough?

Ok that was it. I hope we can get a nice discussion going about cardchoices, deck strategie or anything else about this decktype. In the next week I’d like to post a similar article on RG Beatz. I hope some of you read my posts J.

Thanks
Markus

Mythrandir

well, the deck looks good nad was adapted to the metagame.. but i dont like playing cards like null rod... i think they are very specific.

i´ve been playing with teferi... and i hadnt that many problemas casting.. but usually it gets killed, because ppl dont like it, so they tend to destroy it quickly.

have you thought of playing krovikan horror? its not a very aggro creature, but in long games it may be quite good.

back to basics is very powerful.. especially if a deck is built around it, most ppl play with loads of non-basic lands, even in one color decks.

i agree with you. rootwalla is probably better. no madness cost.. its easier to cast

why no regrowth?

Sturmgott

First of all thank you for your effort, Markus. I would like to give the deck a shot.

Would you mind attaching the .mwDeck-File to your post so we can all easily check it out, test and change it?

Mythrandir

well, i´ve played against it (me in 5C control) and its quite a difficult matchup. if he happens to cast back to basics its gg for him. that card just ruins my deck.
withou back to basics i think its a 50%-50%.
shred memory, phyrexian furnace are great against his deck, algo sudden shock is quite good.

just a personal opinion, i would take out anurid and probably null rod. would add regrowth and krosan grip

Sturmgott

Okay, I will testdrive the deck in the next week and after that, give you some feedback.