Main Menu

Rule Questions

Started by Vazdru, 31-08-2007, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Because i've been asked a few times how it exactly works enchanting Akroma with Animate Dead -> here are the weird!  ;) explanation for:

Q: Akroma, Angel of Wrath is in the graveyard. I cast Animate Dead. What happens? I've been told two things: that Akroma will remain in play without the Animate Dead, and that she will go to the graveyard. I've also been told that one of these rulings is old and was changed. Which is correct now?

A: Here is how it currently works. Animate Dead resolves and comes into play. When it does, its comes-into-play ability triggers. You target Akroma with this triggered ability. When this triggered ability resolves, Akroma is put into play and Animate Dead become an Aura. It will try attach itself to Akroma, but will not, due to Akroma's protection from black ability. Then, because it is not attached to anything, this Aura will go to the graveyard, but Akroma will remain in play.

It is true that this is not how this interaction has always worked. The rules that govern what an Aura can be attached to were tweaked last summer when the Aura subtype was introduced. In the past, local enchantments could become attached to a protected permanent; now they cannot become attached at all.

Enchanting Simic Sky Swallower:

Q: Can Dance of the Dead or Animate Dead bring Simic Sky Swallower into play without being removed afterwards?

A: Yes. The ability of Simic Sky Swallower does not work when it is in the graveyard, only when it is in play - and enchantments only target creatures when they're played. Since in order to dig Simic Sky Swallower out from the graveyard, the Animate Dead has to have fully resolved first (thus being well beyond the initial phase of playing it and choosing targets), it is legal for it to be attached to the Simic Sky Swallower. And since you've been clever enough to get around its untargetability restriction, it does not fall off. (However, targeting a Simic Sky Swallower that is in play is always a definite no-no.)

Q: I put Simic Sky Swallower into play with Animate Dead (or Dance of the Dead or Necromancy). Then my opponent destroys the Animate Dead. What happened with the Simic Sky Swallower, because it can't be the target of abilities, and the Animate says: if the Animate Dead leaves play to destroy the enchanted creature? Will the Simic Sky Swallower be in play without the Animate, or will be destroyed by the Animate Dead?

A: The Multani will be destroyed. Animate Dead's / Necromancy's / Dance of the Dead's leaves play triggered ability does not target, so it will affect the creature that it was enchanting even if this creature can not be targeted.

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Q: My opponent has cast Bribery on me and taken an Academy Rector. If the Rector later dies, can my opponent fetch an enchantment from his deck?

A: Yes, he can. When the Rector is destroyed, it triggers for the player who controlled it when it went to the graveyard. The Rector goes to its owner's graveyard, and if it's still there when the ability resolves, the player who controls the triggered ability can choose to remove it from the game, which allow him to search for an enchantment.
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Cause sushiPasta couldn't believe Mana Severance -> Remove all Lands -> Activate Charbelcher works

Virtual Judge:

Q: I would just like to have a clarification concerning the Goblin Charbelcher. What happens if there are no lands left in the library at the time its ability resolves?

My assumption would be it deals damage equal to the total amount of cards in the library (since all of them will be revealed). However it could be argued that, since no land will be revealed, it deals no damage at all.

A: The ability isn't dependent on finding a land - it's dependent on how many cards you reveal. The stopping point is either a land or the end of your library, whichever comes first. It'll deal damage equal to the number of cards revealed, which is equal to the number left in your library. You'll then put the revealed cards on the bottom of your library (which has no top at the moment) in any order, meaning you'll get to stack your deck.
Far below the earth

Mythrandir

today playing against vuzdru this came up:

vesuva -> swamp.. he then tried to wasteland my Vesuva/swamp..

i searched the  virtual judge and came up with this (not the same quesion, but i think it answers ours):

Q: If I use Vesuva to copy a Forest, does it count as a non-basic land (for Blood Moon or Wilderness Elemental)?

A: Yes. Vesuva becomes an exact copy, which means that it copies the land's suptertype. So this Vesuva / Forest will not be affected by Blood Moon and the ability of your opponent's Wilderness Elemental will not count it.

Mythrandir

another rule question came up, playing vuzdru:

he had LFTL in the grave and he then used a cycle land.

question: is it possible to remove LFTL (e.g. shred memory)?
answer: yes, but only if you respond to the cycle, after he decides to replace the effect Draw with dredge, there´s nothing u can do..

i got this answer form a brazilian judge, so i hope its right :)

Vazdru

...is now a Legend Elf Warrior.

Earthblighter   Cleric   Cleric   Human Cleric   Legions
Eastern Paladin   Knight   Knight   Zombie Knight   Urza's Saga
Ebonblade Reaper   Cleric   Cleric   Human Cleric   Onslaught
Ebony Rhino         Rhino   Homelands
Echo Tracer   Wizard   Wizard   Human Wizard   Legions
Edgewalker   Cleric   Cleric   Human Cleric   Scourge
Ekundu Cyclops   Cyclops   Giant   Cyclops   Mirage
Eladamri, Lord of Leaves   Legend      Elf Warrior   Tempest
Elder Druid   Cleric   Cleric   Elf Cleric Druid   Ice Age
Electric Eel   Eel   Eel   Fish   The Dark
El-Hajjâj   El-Hajjâj   El-Hajjâj   Human   Arabian Ni
Elite Archers   Soldiers   Soldier   Human Soldier Archer   Urza's Saga
Elite Javelineer   Soldier   Soldier   Human Soldier   Tempest
Elvish Archers   Elves   Elf   Elf Archer   Alpha
Elvish Healer   Cleric   Cleric   Elf Cleric   Ice Age
Elvish Hunter   Elf   Elf   Elf Archer   Fallen Emp
Elvish Pathcutter   Elf   Elf   Elf Scout   Onslaught
Elvish Scout   Elf   Elf   Elf Scout   Fallen Emp
Elvish Spirit Guide   Spirit   Spirit   Elf Spirit   Alliances
Elvish Vanguard   Elf   Elf   Elf Warrior   Onslaught
Emerald Dragonfly   Dragonfly   Dragonfly   Insect   Legends
Empress Galina   Legend      Merfolk   Invasion
Enchanted Being   Being   Being   Human   Legends
Energizer         Juggernaut   Tempest
Enlistment Officer   Soldier   Soldier   Human Soldier   Apocalypse
Enslaved Scout   Goblin   Goblin   Goblin Scout   Alliances
Ensouled Scimitar         Spirit   Fifth Dawn
Entropic Specter   Spirit   Spirit   Specter Spirit   Exodus
Ertai, the Corrupted   Wizard Legend   Wizard   Human Mutant Wizard   Planeshift
Ertai, Wizard Adept   Legend   Wizard   Human Wizard   Exodus
Escape Artist   Wizard   Wizard   Human Wizard   Odyssey
Etched Oracle         Wizard   Fifth Dawn
Exiled Doomsayer   Cleric   Cleric   Human Cleric   Scourge
Exorcist   Exorcist   Exorcist   Human Cleric   The Dark
Expendable Troops   Soldiers   Soldier   Human Soldier   Urza's Legacy
Extruder         Juggernaut   Urza's Destiny
Far below the earth

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 31-08-2007, 11:40:53 AM
Because i've been asked a few times how it exactly works enchanting Akroma with Animate Dead -> here are the weird!  ;) explanation for:

Q: Akroma, Angel of Wrath is in the graveyard. I cast Animate Dead. What happens? I've been told two things: that Akroma will remain in play without the Animate Dead, and that she will go to the graveyard. I've also been told that one of these rulings is old and was changed. Which is correct now?

A: Here is how it currently works. Animate Dead resolves and comes into play. When it does, its comes-into-play ability triggers. You target Akroma with this triggered ability. When this triggered ability resolves, Akroma is put into play and Animate Dead become an Aura. It will try attach itself to Akroma, but will not, due to Akroma's protection from black ability. Then, because it is not attached to anything, this Aura will go to the graveyard, but Akroma will remain in play.

It is true that this is not how this interaction has always worked. The rules that govern what an Aura can be attached to were tweaked last summer when the Aura subtype was introduced. In the past, local enchantments could become attached to a protected permanent; now they cannot become attached at all.

If the creature card you target has protection from black, Animate Dead will return it to play, but won't be able to become attached to it. Animate Dead will be put into your graveyard because it will be an unattached Aura. Then the creature will be sacrificed because Animate Dead left play. This is a change from recent functionality.

i´ve taken this from the Master Edition FAQ, so its recent... does anyone have any info on this?
will akroma stay in play or not?

Sturmgott

Where did you find this? Please post a link.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Sturmgott on 03-12-2007, 11:55:22 PM
Where did you find this? Please post a link.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/faqs

just click on the Master Edition and it will open a word doc with the FAQ, animate dead is one of the first cards they talk about...

Vazdru

It seems they really changed that weird ruling (again).

Now it sounds much more logical to me! But damned...Entomb->Akroma and second turn Animate do not work any more  :D

Far below the earth

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 04-12-2007, 08:46:06 PM
It seems they really changed that weird ruling (again).

Now it sounds much more logical to me! But damned...Entomb->Akroma and second turn Animate do not work any more  :D

still works with exhume :P

Mythrandir

This came up a few days ago:

I ended my turn and my opponnent played a predator strike and he thought that it would go until his next turn, i wasn't sure and said ok (it was a friendly match).

But now i wanted to make sure and by what i was told you can not do that, however you can do that with astral slide. The main difference is:

predator strike says:

"Until end of turn"

Astral slide says:

"At the end of turn"

P.s. we should have a board for rules questions... instead of just bumping this old (120 days) post. btw, sorry for the bump.

pyyhttu

Quote from: mythrandirP.s. we should have a board for rules questions...
<begin offtopic rant>
You mean yet another subforum? I strongly disagree, we should *not*. You already had your now inactive Trading Board, Creative Corner, Forum Rules and Board Request subcategories...<--wtf ?(!)

Please, do not clutter rss + this forum anymore beyond navigation but already purge/merge those unneeded categories. </end>

P.S. Besides you have WotC Rules/Question forum and Cranial Insertion. Albeit they're shit, they'd be better/faster any day than answers posted here.