Main Menu

[lorwyn] - planeswalker

Started by Mythrandir, 27-08-2007, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

well, we have the first planeswalker (PLW) card, we arent sure how it works...

here it goes.

- the number 5 is "loyalty"
- creatures can attack PLW and if dealt damage remove loyalty points
- if a creature attacks a PLW the player can assign creatures to block those creatures

the abilities (and this is just an opinion) u add or retract those number of loaylty points and you can only do this once per turn (probably sorcery speed)

how do you think this will effect Highlander game?

Vazdru

In my opinion the effect on HL won't be a big one. But i like that wizard introducing some new mechanics to the game. I'm looking forward to see those guys in some future hl games but don't think they become dominant. We won't see them too often in hl tourneys - i bet.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 29-08-2007, 02:28:55 PM
In my opinion the effect on HL won't be a big one. But i like that wizard introducing some new mechanics to the game. I'm looking forward to see those guys in some future hl games but don't think they become dominant. We won't see them too often in hl tourneys - i bet.

it depends on the oficial rules. these cards can either be broken or just "plain normal power"
if we can use those abilities several times, i think they might see some action in HL, because every cards than can be used more than 1 more time is great in HL :)

Mythrandir

and now for the rules:

Planeswalkers come into play with loyalty counters. (Synergy with counter manipulation effects.)
- One ability can be played a turn, including the turn they are cast, by adding or removing the requisite number of loyalty counters.
- When a planeswalker reaches 0 loyalty counters, it goes to the graveyard.
- If a spell or ability would deal damage to a player, the controller of that spell or ability may opt to deal that damage to a planeswalker that player controls instead.

well, i think planeswalkers will see game in HL.. besides acting as a shield (good agaisnt aggro) they have good abilities. lets just jope the blue has counter and draw abilities :D

Mythrandir

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/planeswalkers/week4 -> planeswalkers FAQ.

they arent that good... shock, incinerate work with them, because the opponent may redirect the shock to the PLW instead of you... =/ so they are easily killed.
lets see if the 3 others are playable...

Sturmgott

What especially disappoints me is the fact that the Planeswalkers' abilities may be played only at sorcery speed. I had hoped they could be played at instant speed and wouldn't use the stack. :( Now it look like the impact Planeswalkers will have on the game is close to zero. If they do not print real good support cards for the PLWs, I don't think they will see much play use.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Sturmgott on 03-09-2007, 02:57:15 PM
What especially disappoints me is the fact that the Planeswalkers' abilities may be played only at sorcery speed. I had hoped the could be played at instant speed and wouldn't use the stack. :( Now it look like the impact Planeswalkers will have on the game is close to zero. If they do not print real good support cards for the PLWs, I don't think they will see much play use.

yeap.. its my opinion too. especially the fact that PLW are so easily killed, they have great abilities but... they´re just too weak.. the only good thing is that their abilities may be used on the turn they enter..

lets hope that the White has loads of loaylty and mass removal effects.. and that the blue is cheap and counters things..

zimagic

Quote from: Mythrandir on 03-09-2007, 04:13:34 PM
lets hope that the White has loads of loaylty and mass removal effects.. and that the blue is cheap and counters things..

Blue won't have a counter ability as the PLW abilities can only be used any time you could play a sorcery.

Mythrandir

Quote from: zimagic on 05-09-2007, 05:16:09 PM
Quote from: Mythrandir on 03-09-2007, 04:13:34 PM

Blue won't have a counter ability as the PLW abilities can only be used any time you could play a sorcery.

not necessarily.. it could be something like:

-2: target opponent's first spell is countered the next turn.....

but yes, you´re probably right...

probably the last ability is confiscate or time walk..

Mythrandir

Sturmgott

Now that one looks playable! Winning Option (though slow) and Board Control in one card, combined with an amazing piece of art :)

Mythrandir

Quote from: Sturmgott on 10-09-2007, 02:22:49 PM
Now that one looks playable! Winning Option (though slow) and Board Control in one card, combined with an amazing piece of art :)

definitely, and the 6 loyalty means that she wont die that easily.. quite playable, even in RDW.

Vazdru

Quote from: Mythrandir on 10-09-2007, 11:57:10 AM

quite viable, no?

best planeswalker so far

maybe not strong enough for constructed but hell-good in limited

i'm looking forward to see such a stylish planeswalker in rdw but don't believe i'll see one :P
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

well, in HL? why not? RDW has some cards with 5CMC..

Mythrandir

this came up in a rumour forum (trusted source..)

Ajani Goldmane
2WW
Planeswalker - Ajani
+1: You gain 2 life
-1: Creatures you control get +1/+1 and vigilance until end of turn
-6: Put an X/X white Avatar creature token into play with power and toughness each equal to your life total.
Loyalty: 4
Rare.

not too bad.. but i was really hoping for a wrath effect.. =/, good in limited.