Main Menu

Ladder Tournament 2016 - Reports

Started by Vazdru, 25-01-2017, 10:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaZi

TaZi 3-0 Vazdru

Game 1
=======
I win the die roll and keep my hand consisting of: Mystical Tutor, 2 mountains, island, preordain, ancestral vision, venser. The hand is questionable, but ancestral vision and mystical tutor are very strong cards, and I hope to smooth the draw enough with the preordain. Gerry keeps Treetop village, forest, wall of roots, syvan caryatid, farseek, spell pierce, crush of tentacles. Also not the best hand, as it has no pressure and might also be a bit clunky, if no lands come from the top.
T1: Island, suspend vision
   treetop
T2: preordain finds brainstorm+forest, play forest
   fetch for tropical, play caryatid
T3: brainstorm finds bring to light, miscalculation and land.
   forest, wall of roots, farseek->underground see
T4: I have to get rid of some lands, that were put back with brainstorm last turn and so I play mystical tutor in the upkeep to search for force of will.
   Gerry plays fact of fiction in his mainphase which I let resolve as I think I have to play with tempo from now on. I split regrowth and 2 elves against brainstorm and vendilion clique. Gerry takes Brainstorm and clique. As he has no land, he plays brainstorm but still finds no land and is almost tapped out.
T5: The vision resolves and I draw: 2 lands, treasure cruise and my own clique. I don't want to tap myself out and so I play a land and wait with my own clique until gerry's turn.
   In the upkeep gerry plays mystical teachings. At this point I should have played some kind of counterspell (maybe venser) to gain some more tempo, however I let the teachings reasolve and gerry searches for force of will and also draws a land. EOT I try to play my clique which resolves after gerry plays his own clique which also resolves as I hope to find some replacement for bring to light with the treasure cruise. I see: Seasons Past, force, mystical tutor , primal command and spell pierce. I take the force to gain tempo
T6: I play chain lightning on gerry's clique, atk with my clique to bring him below 18 and add another 2 lands to the board with kodamas reach
   Gerry flashback teachings to find force in his mainphase as he knows of my venser.
T7: I play treasure cruise and find some more counters.
   Overgrown battlement
T8: atk gerry down to 10 but havn't found any tutors for scapeshift.
   Now gerry starts wrestling down some of my counterspells with seasons past <- venser <- cryptic command <- miscalculation <- force <- force. This leaves me with snapcaster in hand while gerry still has primal command and seasons past.
T9: I topdeck scapeshift and just win

Game 2
=======
I keep 2 lands, remand, ancestral vision, intuition, skyshrouds claim, serum vision which looks pretty solid. Gerry starts with treetop, island, fetch, brainstorm, wall of blossoms, garruk wildspeaker, kitchen finks
T1: Gerry starts with treetop
   I fetch for tropical and suspend vision
T2: island, wall of blossoms
   serum vision, stomping ground
T3: fetch tropical, kitchen finks -> 21 life
   misty rainforest
T4: brainstorm, farseek <- remand
   skyshrouds claim -> breeding pool, forest keeping up mana for spell pierce
T5: tec edge -> breeding pool, farseek
   vision resolves, finds mystical which is played to find force
T6: Gerry tries garruk which resolves. I play intuition eot to get 3 additional damage via bolt or extraland (scapeshift was drawn in between)
   Scapeshift resolves with force and pierce backup

Game 3
=======
Gerry mulls 2 fetches, forest, wall of blossoms, dig through time, seasons past, mystical teachings. This is debatable and I'm still not sure what the correct decision is. Anyway the next seven have wasteland as the only land and so he keep the following six: demonic tutor, toxic deluge, wall of roots, True Name Nemesis, fetch, clique. After I ship my first 7 (which where 5 lands, 2 clobo spells) I keep valakut, arc trail, ancestral vision, fetch, brainstorm, island, treasure cruise.
T1: fetch
   island, suspend vision
T2: draws a second land, wall of roots
   Brainstorm, fetch, suspend search for tomorrow
T3: Demonic->tropical, sylvan caryatid
   land, true name nemesis (this makes gerry's deluge usefull but also costs tempo)
T4: Deluge for 1, breeding pool untapped -> 16, true name nemesis
   search for tomorrow-> mountain, vesuva comes as tropical
T5: Gerry adds courser of kruphix to the board and sees goyf on top.
   My vision resolves and after the draw, gerry plays his clique which reveals: toxic deluge, demonic, mystical teachings, treasure cruise, izzet charm, lightning bolt, 2 lands. After he thinks for a moment and takes deluge (which would have killed his 5 creatures and left him with no hand, no nonlands) I say, that I don't see any outs for him (as the curser reveals the next draw) and he agrees and concedes.

I want to thank Gerry and all other players of the Ladder Turnament for the good games. It was quite thrilling most of the time.

see you all in the league =)