Main Menu

Other attitute to Banned list

Started by Thibir, 05-10-2009, 02:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thibir

Friend of mine, found this on some Australian forum:

QuoteIn my opinion this is the best format. It's the only one I play and it's really nice to be able to play in a format with power that isn't obscenely expensive. The format is singleton with a vintage banned list, however, the decks are controlled by a points list which you can select 7 points worth of cards from:

4 points:
Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Tinker.

3 points:
Balance, Demonic Tutor, Imperial Seal, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, Protean Hulk, Sol Ring, Time Vault, Time Walk, Vampiric Tutor, Worldgorger Dragon, Yawgmoth's Will.

2 points:
Channel, Crucible of Worlds, Gifts Ungiven, Mana Crypt, Mind Twist, Mishra's Workshop, Memory Jar, Necropotence, Recurring Nightmare, Strip Mine, Survival of the Fittest, Tainted Pact, Time Spiral, Timetwister, Tolarian Academy, Wheel of Fortune, Yawgmoth's Bargain.

1 point:
Enlightened Tutor, Fastbond, Force of Will, Grim Tutor, Intuition, Land Tax, Lim-Dul's Vault, Library of Alexandria, Life from the Loam, Mana Drain, Mana Vault, Merchant Scroll, Moat, Mystical Tutor, Oath of Druids, Price of Progress, Skullclamp, Umezawa's Jitte.

I just wanted to share this interesting idea. Because in like 2 months we are going to have annual Mtg.sk Cup and this year, the format has been chosen highlander, however the TO hasn´t decided whether to use standard banned list or this point system. What are your opinions?

Tabris

Seems interesting, but I would ban all P9 cards and add more points to cards like, Jitte, Yawgmoths Will, Time Walk etc. all the Power Cards which have a great destructive or dominant attitude (like Strip Mine, Skull Clamp, Sol Ring, Tolarian Academy). The P9-banning is not only important bc of the Powerlvl, also bc of the price which is imho a important balance issue for the format. Also if they add cards like recall, time walk etc. every deck must run them.

Also I dont know if its good do bring back old combo parts which can be easly implemented with this point system.
Mystical Tutor, Grindstone, Painters Servant are not not included ?

Nastaboi

This point system is awful. It might do its work to prevent the format degenerating into combo-only metagame, but now every one will have an assortment of "just win" cards in their deck. And if you say "It's same for every one", so is forcing every one to include ten Homelands cards in their deck.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

In our local HL-circle we've had some kind of point system about 10 years ago as well as a resricted card list (you were allowed to play 10 restricted cards) - we soon changed it in a "simple" banned-list. As i have already experienced that systems I do not think it's worth to re-establish any. Imo it's just too complicated (catchword "deck-check") and offers no improvement compared to HL banned list.

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

Too complicated. p9 are all (always) bad to be unnbanned. Yagmoth's will at the same power as a demonic tutor?

Also, in terms of deck check it's far more difficult. I think this is good only for a casual group of players, but in terms of "worlwide" competitive format i don't think it's that good.