Main Menu

mulligan

Started by Mythrandir, 22-08-2007, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

is the new mulligan okay for the players? how´s the feedback.. i´ve never played by it cause it seems like "tutoring" even tough the player isnt mana/color screw or flooded... but this is just an opinion from a player that hasnt played in a tournament with this rule..

Vazdru

In the beginning I was some kind of doubtful if this special mulligan rule for HL (which is "borrowed" from TCG Spoils) will be accepted by the community; the ruling sounds just a bit strange to me.   

Personally I've made good experience with the "new" mulligan rule, BUT I've made only good experience with the FREE mulligan (like in THG) too.

In my opinion the interesting and most positive part of the new HL mulligan is the point that you have to act more tactical before the game started (rejecting cards).

The worst thing is obviously that it is a huge advantage knowing the opponent's deck.

But now you've made some experience with the mulligan rule too - what are your first impressions?

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 29-08-2007, 02:07:09 PM
In the beginning I was some kind of doubtful if this special mulligan rule for HL (which is "borrowed" from TCG Spoils) will be accepted by the community; the ruling sounds just a bit strange to me.   

Personally I've made good experience with the "new" mulligan rule, BUT I've made only good experience with the FREE mulligan (like in THG) too.

In my opinion the interesting and most positive part of the new HL mulligan is the point that you have to act more tactical before the game started (rejecting cards).

The worst thing is obviously that it is a huge advantage knowing the opponent's deck.

But now you've made some experience with the mulligan rule too - what are your first impressions?

well, knowing the oponents deck is crucial here.
i really dont like this mulligan rule. decks like RDW have better adavantage because its easier ofr them to get a hoser card, like winter orb, black vise, or a speed kill.
i think this rule should help ppl avoid having mana screw/flood, instead it gives additional advantage/disadvantage..

that just my opinion :)

Sturmgott

Mana Screw is not only when you only draw two lands. A hand with three lands, but only CC5+ Spells is also a mana screw in that respect.

Furthermore, the mulligan - according to more than one year of playing experience with it - does not prefer certain decks or archetypes, but makes for overall better and more interesting games, in which both players are able to "do something" already in the early game. That leads to more interaction, and thus increases fun and thrill in games.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Sturmgott on 29-08-2007, 05:07:12 PM
Mana Screw is not only when you only draw two lands. A hand with three lands, but only CC5+ Spells is also a mana screw in that respect.

Furthermore, the mulligan - according to more than one year of playing experience with it - does not prefer certain decks or archetypes, but makes for overall better and more interesting games, in which both players are able to "do something" already in the early game. That leads to more interaction, and thus increases fun and thrill in games.

well, that's not what i see, but i´m, quite unexperienced compared to you, so i´ll have to try it more.. but it really seems that RDW can get a better game, because they can "choose" a faster hand, which is crucial in that archetype... (i´ve only tested this mulligan rule on 3 decks, so i maybe have an unrealistic opinion..)

Sturmgott

In turn you can reject the Future Sight and Gilded Lotus in your opening hand and probably find something more appropriate to defend yourself against a powerful early rush. I don't believe that the mulligan prefers aggro decks at all.

Kassow-Rossing

The Highlander mulligan rule works fine for me. I do not see it as a dis-advantage the fact that I play control. In the other hand I would say that my odds are just as good in control as they are in agro.

Agro may "search" for Magus of the Moon, Blood Moon, Winter Orb, The Rack.. But I may "search" for Lightning Helix, Oath of Druids, Absorb and Wrath effects.. I think it's a fair deal. Maybe combo decks would have a tiny advantage here, but they do not seem to have a huge impact on the meta game so far

Patrick over and out