Main Menu

WW: Replacement for Enlightened Tutor

Started by grizzledmage, 20-07-2009, 03:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzledmage

So, I am undecided as to what to put in that slot in my WW deck. I suppose I might try Idyllic Tutor, but it's not nearly as good, plus there are only 5 enchantments in the deck that it could target.

Some other cards that I am considering are:

Unmake
Devout Witness (turns any card in hand into Disenchant)
Wojek Siren (?)
Celestial Crusader
Beloved Chaplain/Commander Eesha
Temporal Isolation
Flickerwisp
Radiant's Judgment
Rebuff the Wicked
Ivory Mask
Elite Vanguard (new M10 2/1 guy)
Harm's Way (new M10 instant)

The deck already has 40 creatures, so adding in another isn't a huge priority unless the new one can really make a difference.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other cards?

pyyhttu

While having not seen your build or local meta, blind suggestion from that list would be Harm's Way.

Outlaw

Vazdru

Quote from: Outlaw on 20-07-2009, 08:32:49 PM
Honor of the Pure ?

Good suggestion   :) Harm's Way is a good one too.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

grizzledmage

My build is, I think, fairly standard for this kind of a deck.

Honor of the Pure is definitely worth considering; but I did not list it as I do not yet have one. And Harm's Way is one I'd been pretty sympathetic to so far.  ;)

Mythrandir

Honor of the purer or harm's way

I´m gonna use harm's way instead of E.T. in my 5CC.

grizzledmage

Just opened up Honor of the Pure, so I think I will keep Harm's Way in the slot for Enlightened Tutor, and swap out Glorious Anthem for the Honor of the Pure. We'll see how they work out!

majikfreak

I had the same issue, so I choice honor the pure... I also run Glorious Anthem...

-jFk-

Although the topic is quite out of date, I just have to reply.

In my opinion Unmake, Flicker Whisp, Elite Vanguard, Harms Way AND Honor of the Pure are must-plays in every WW-Deck. White Weenie depends on putting a very constant and strong stream of creatures to play. Both Vanguard and Whisp have quite nice stats whereas the Whisp also has a very nice ability which can be used in a variety of different situations reaching from reloading your Ajani and downgrading the hostile Figure to removing a big blocker for an attack or untapping your own (for example jotun grunt) guy after an attack.
Honor of the Pure and similar cards (crusade, anthem) are very important to keep the pressure ahead.
And you don't have as many removal spells as you would like to.. so be happy about Unmake, Harms Way and NEW NEW NEW journey to nowhere.

GoblinPiledriver

Mother of Runes, Figure of Destiny, Knight of the Holy Nimbus, Serra Avenger, Sigiled Paladin, Elspeth K.E., S.t.P., P.tE., Spectral Procession, Oblivion Ring.

This are in my oppinion must plays for a WW. Elite Vanguard and Flicker Wisp are very good but with 1 thougness risky.
Unmask is expensive, Harms Way is bad against control and depends stong on the situation, and finally Honor of the Pure needn't be good.

But maybe with the new Stoneforge Mystic there is now a replacement for the Enlighted Tutor.
Do you think he could take this role?
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Helle

I don't think you can compare the two cards. The reason Enlightened Tutor got banend is that it's also able to find enchantments and especially all artifacts. In WW finding enchantments isn't worth the carddisadvantage the tutor brings with it most of the time. To find Winter Orb at the end of your opponents turn while he/she is tapped out on the other hand often wins you the game.

Don't get me wrong: Stoneforge Mystic definitly is a good card, but it fetches equipments only. If that was the only use for enlightened, we would have seen Steelshaper's Gift more often appearing in decklists. Nevertheless I'm sure it will see play.

-jFk-

@ Helle: Ok but you also can't compare Steelshapers Gift to the Mystic, because with him you already have a creature (in play!) to attach the searched equipment to. That means that the mystic never is a dead draw, as was Enlightened Tutor. Steelschaper's Gift on the other hand does nothing if you have no creature.

@ Goblinpiledriver: I wouldn't mind talking about the 2/1 as a must play (in my oppinion it still is, because you don't have that many alternatives) but you will never want to miss Flicker Whisp. It has very solid stats for a ww-creature (3 power invasion for 3!) and additionally it got an ability that makes it a swiss-army-knife. I've been playing it a while now and every time i cast it, it does something great. I guess most of the time, it gets the blocker out of the way (which can be seen as giving itself haste). It can reset all kinds of counters (on my own and opponent cards) the only exception in my deck being Calciderm. And of course you can use it to abuse cip-triggers of your own creatures or even reactivate the drawbacks of the opponent's. At least you can use it to untap a creature or a land for use in the opponent's turn (which i do quite rarely because usually i got something better to do with it).
Harm's way is similar in terms of flexibility. you can shut down an attacker (maybe with the help of a smaller creature), kill a utility creature on the other side or put the damage race in your favor. The only situation, where you can't use it, is when your opponent has neither creatures, nor direct damage. But I haven't faced this situation yet. Even against decks like oath, where you have to kill as fast as possible, the two damage from the oathed fatty may be enough to finish him off. In general creature (spot-)removal is quite rare in white and because your guys are almost always the smaller ones it is very important to have enough of it.
That is also why Unmake is so important. I guess it's really really good its only disadvantage being that it is black and therefor can't handle cards like Akroma. Still this card has won me quite some games and I was never unhappy to draw it.
About Honor of the Pure: I play Honor, Anthem, Crusade, Wilt-leaf Liege and Soltari Champion and for the reasons mentioned above (little weenies ...) I think these cards make a vital part in a successfull WW-Deck.