Main Menu

[M10] review

Started by Mythrandir, 04-07-2009, 08:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

Once again a core set is released, this time it some affect on HL formats. This topic will only be used to discuss cards not rules.
So before starting let me just say that i´m really pissed off that they made so many functional reprints: essence scatter, runceclaw bear, elite vanguard. Really, really bad in terms of creativity IMO, specially if you consider HL formats which = 1 of kind, functional (playable) reprints really make me angry... anyhow, here goes:

White:
- Baneslayer angel - Huge improvement on angels. Although the protections are a bit irrelevant, they are very cool in terms of flavor, yet i prefer an exalted angel since it can deal 4 damage on turn 4, but still very playable.

- Elite vanguard - Did we really need another 2/1 1st turn drop?! Playable!

- Harm's way - This is my favorite card from the whole set. It is playable in both aggro and control. Not only does it act as a kind of life gainer, but it can act as removal. Very nice. Will probably try this out (probably in place of E. tutor)

- Honor of the pure - Don't really understand why they just didn't bring back crusade (or a functional reprint if the name bothered them...) this is just strictly better and splashable. Good card.

- Open the vaults - It's like a 2nd replenish for enchantress deck. Not very fancy. Also kind of playable in W staxx variants.

- Planar cleansing - WOTC is definitely afraid of losing aggro players... Totaly crap IMO

- Silence - Interesting, if you play with chant, you probably wanna add this one too.

Blue:

- Djinn of wishes - Really flavour card. I like it, although it won't see play, probably because it's very mana intensive!

- Sleep - This one could have been a huge bomb, but they made it really bad IMO. they could have lower its CMC, make it instant even if it had some form of drawback: "up to X creatures" (for example). Bit frustrated on this one =/ This basically saves you one turn... for that i prefer time warp, at least i get to untap/draw and my opponnent doesnt

Black:

- Child of night - Is interesting for aggro that runs B, but nothing fancy.

- Sign in blood - Another card that makes MBC (in other formats) viable again, along side duress, consume spirit, etc. However for HL i think we have a better stuff.

- Doom blade - well, we have better stuff... but agai.. had to review some cards...

Red:

- Goblin chieftain - It's no warchief, but good enough to see play in gobos.

- jackal familiar - If it was a goblin i could see it seeing some play, like this i think there are better drops.

- Magma phoenix - Another timmy card. Wish it had some form of sac ability. won't see play, But good to see phoenixes :)

Green:

- Acidic slime - Good if you can abuse CIP abilities.  although it has a big CMC i can see this play with survival.

- Elvish archdruid - If someone plays elves, then they'll probably want this too.

- Great stable stag - Although the double GG makes it a bid unsplahsble it's good for MGA because of the protections, rather than the uncounterable part.

- Protean hydra - with 4 mana you get a 3/3 which if it isn't dealt soon it can really grow fast, but very situatioanl IMO, no goyf here (at least for our format).

- Runeclaw bear - WTF?? seriously? have you read its flavor text?! is WOTC actually mocking us? moving along....

Artifact:

- Mirror of fate - This card is one the those that will tried be broken. IMO it won't at least in our format.

Lands:

- pseudo-dual lands - we're promissed powerful and exciting dual lands... i certainly wasn't expecting this. Not very playable in our format IMO, unless these become cheap, then the could see some play for ppl with a tight budget or some kind of zoo, but i think there is already good manabase to support this deck.

- Gargoyle castle - mehh ,wish it was a true manland... won't see play.

Well, that's it. Besides from some aggro stuff (neo-lions, etc) and that harm's way (IMO) there isn't any good stuff in this core set for us, won't change the meta alot.
Comments and other reviews are always welcomed.