Main Menu

Format Staples

Started by SpecialBats, 07-05-2009, 06:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payron

Intrsting to see this list .. thx for the work goblin!

Tabris

Vazdru

good work Jochen!

just a minor thing ... the fetchlands aren't in order of their occurrence
no surprise that U/W, U/G, U/R are played most (150+ of 181) and W/G is the most common dual followed by U/G
on the other hand B/R fetch and dual have fewest hits

this correspond with 100+ entries on white and green and Kitchen Finks are the most played non-land-card of that 181 top-lists  :o Quasli Pridemage and Eladamri's Call still have more hits than any Blue or Black card
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Tiggupiru

Gotta love the fact that Temple Garden sees more play than any Revised dual excluding Savannah and Tropical (which is tied with the TG).

But yeah, interesting facts. Gives some food for the thought.

Nastaboi

How on Earth Mana Drain finished above Brainstorm and Jace? I can imagine a deck running Mana Drain and no Jace and vice versa (I actually have both of these decks built), but I cannot positively imagine a deck playing either one but no Brainstorm.

Kitchen Finks finished above all spells, beating everything except Waste and fetchlands. I had to look up for Matca Rioters. And what is up with 30 Pestermites and no Kiki-Jiki?
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 22-10-2012, 09:14:27 PM
How on Earth Mana Drain finished above Brainstorm and Jace? I can imagine a deck running Mana Drain and no Jace and vice versa (I actually have both of these decks built), but I cannot positively imagine a deck playing either one but no Brainstorm.

Mono-blue control or something, perhaps? Card needs fetches after all. At least the monoblue Stax played both Jace and Mana Drain, but no Brainstorm.

Quote from: Nastaboi on 22-10-2012, 09:14:27 PMAnd what is up with 30 Pestermites and no Kiki-Jiki?

Jeez. That I didn't even see. Some people seem to think it's a fine aggro dude (it's not). I could imagine a very controlling mono-blue fish deck running this and it being maybe playable, but without the combo this is just horrible 95% of the time.

Kiki-Jiki actually posts 9 results.

Nastaboi

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 22-10-2012, 09:43:27 PM
Quote from: Nastaboi on 22-10-2012, 09:14:27 PM

Mono-blue control or something, perhaps? Card needs fetches after all. At least the monoblue Stax played both Jace and Mana Drain, but no Brainstorm.

That monoblue Stax should just suck it up and splash Demonic with 7 fetchlands like everybody else. It probably already ran four ot them just to support Jace.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

GoblinPiledriver

I corected the order of the Fetchlands. and I added a few cards:
Savannah Lions(10), Gifts Ungiven(25), Hell's Thunder(16), Hero of Oxid Ridge(11), Blistering Firecat(11), Figure of Destiny(33), Tidehollow Sculler(20), Bant Charm(15), Copperline Gorge(30), Razorverge Thicket(43), Seachrome Coast(18), Wooded Bastion(18), Sunpetal Grove(13), Hinterland Harbor(12), Yavimaya Coast(12), Brushland(11), Dust Bowl(23), Ghitu Encampment(11), Mulldrifter(16)

Why is Pestermite played so often(30) and Kikki-Jikki(9)so less?
Pestermite could be played as an agressive creature with flash which keeps counter mana open. So it could be played in true aggro decks with blue, in UG or UGR aggrocontrol decks. The mana cost of 2U makes it possibly to be played easily in a large amount of decks.

Kikki Jikki is so heavy red, it's always a problem to cast it probably. The case of Kiki + Combo is tried 6 times with Deceiver Exarch and Pestermite in UR and UGR.

Why is Mana Drain(83) over Jace, the Mind Sculptor(82) and Bainstorm(80)?
Mana Drain is almost too strong, it's so lureing to get the Drain Mana that the people think it's worth the UU mana cost try. If they succed they could turn the game instantly and make unbelievable strong plays. So it's true the best blue card in the game.
Jace over Brainstorm: Jace wins if he stays alive, several Brainstorm + Bounce in the right time is just better than a single Brainstorm. So 2 players decided more to play Jace TMS than too play Brainstorm.

Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Nastaboi on 23-10-2012, 08:24:02 AMThat monoblue Stax should just suck it up and splash Demonic with 7 fetchlands like everybody else. It probably already ran four ot them just to support Jace.

Amen to that. Interestingly enough, there was a monoblue stax list that splashed for demonic, but still didn't play Brainstrom. I find this very, very wrong.

Quote from: GoblinPiledriver on 23-10-2012, 05:53:44 PMJace over Brainstorm: Jace wins if he stays alive, several Brainstorm + Bounce in the right time is just better than a single Brainstorm. So 2 players decided more to play Jace TMS than too play Brainstorm.

Well, yeah. Jace wins the game if it gets activated three times or something, but Brainstorm costs three less mana. It can give you some amazing comeback from a flood and it gives you immediate access to three new cards for one mana. At instant speed. Brainstorm is simply a better card than Jace. I could never cut that card from any blue deck where as Jace or Mana Drain are restricted by their double blue cost, so they can be excluded if you just splash for blue.