Main Menu

Season VI - Playlist vs Watchlist

Started by Georg B, 30-03-2009, 11:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georg B

Hey, since there is a new long discussion about the bannedlist (as usual when it comes up), I have an idea.
Sturmgot asked If someone had some expiriences with Timetwister. I play only Highlander, EDH and some newer constructed formats at MWS (I like building own decks) so I never(!) ever played Timetwister.
So, what would you think about legalizing the Watchlist in our league? Maybe just for one season, maybe, if it proves itself as a good thing for all time.
I think this is a good place to test them, because you don't have to buy or trade them without knowing if they get legal.

That could help the format a lot and maybe then some new guys what to join our league to test the cards by their own.

Let me know what you are thinking about this?

pyyhttu

QuoteSo, what would you think about legalizing the Watchlist in our league?

Good idea on a quick thought but pondering some more, I find this hard to implement.

By the way, do you mean legalizing the current watch list or the one that is announced on April 14th.? Next MWS HL-season starts on 12th of April so we get whole 2 days to contribute. On such a short time frame testing is fruitless.

Now, if the league would test with the new ban list, that creates couple another sore points:

a) Cynical as I may be but so far has been true: Our findings have had no real weight on committee's ban decision policy. Why would it make difference now? Even if the findings of this league were taken into account, the resulting low level discussion still would continue in German language only. This is the discussion I assume you fail to link in your post, right? Guys in that thread are all the faces you know from the real life, from real GPs, and thus Sturmgott naturally lays more trust on them and his committee lieutenants. You don't *want* our opinions as don't know how to weight them without web of trust.

b) This league has no accessibility barrier to powerful and expensive cards. So it would largely invalidate the results anyway and would not be comparable to real life meta. Especially to _German_ meta which currently defines the ban list, largely by the results of your GPs.

So I find it little controversial that this league could *really* help: we'd probably just end up creating confusion among the new players in the coming season by turning this league into a some sort beta testing league with a peculiar ban list.

Georg B

Hmm, I think some of the players in this league have proven themselves as good players, knowing the format very good, so I think Sturmgott would trust their arguments (since he is also a player in this league, he knows the participants by himself).

Maybe we could do a rule that, if both players agree, you can play cards from the watchlist in your deck.
I would like thatvrule, because I would like to test the cards of the watchlist, but the random players on mws would call me n00b if I did.  :P

Mythrandir

Quote from: Georg B on 01-04-2009, 01:14:56 AM
Hmm, I think some of the players in this league have proven themselves as good players, knowing the format very good, so I think Sturmgott would trust their arguments (since he is also a player in this league, he knows the participants by himself).

Maybe we could do a rule that, if both players agree, you can play cards from the watchlist in your deck.
I would like thatvrule, because I would like to test the cards of the watchlist, but the random players on mws would call me n00b if I did.  :P

well, i think it will only generate confusion, specially because we would have to have a new list for the league...

If you really want to test the watch list, just PM/MSN/ICQ players here, and make some friendly games. I´ll be more than happy to play VS Ancestral recall :P

Vazdru

The new banned-list will be legal as of 15.04.2009.

If both players agree you can play with the new list in our league as of today.

There are no cards on the banned-list anymore which are also on the watchlist.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.