Main Menu

Relentless Rats

Started by grizzledmage, 27-03-2009, 02:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzledmage

I apologize if (a) this is in the wrong Forum location, and (b) it is a stupid question.

Relentless Rats: how many allowed in a Highlander deck?

Georg B

Well, since the card text of the rats breaks the 4-card-rule of other formats, it should also break the 1-card-rule of the highlander format I think.
But I'm not sure.

grizzledmage

This came up as a result of the local tournament coming up next month. A local player at the store where it will occur asked me this question, and I said, one copy only. Then the store owner came into the conversation, and said that the only reason he could think of to have banned Relentless Rats (in Highlander) to begin with was its unlimited-number ability; therefore to unban it implied that the decision was to allow its unlimited-number-ability back into the format. (So the owner would seem to agree with you, and I also agree that his logic is good.)

But it goes against the general only-one rule also. My son suggested that the format rules would supersede the card's properties, but then another player pointed out that specific text on a given card supersedes the game's restrictions.

So we're not sure where that leaves us. Anybody else have a ruling on this?

Georg B

Ok, I was wrong, you were right!

http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?name=Relentless_Rats

Look at the info below: "12/1/2004 This card's text does not override other format-imposed restrictions on the number of cards. For example, in a Highlander format, you would still only be allowed one Relentless Rat."

That doesn't make sence to me, but well...

grizzledmage

It never even occurred to me that the information would be at WotC, since they don't officially recognize Highlander. Good find, and thanks!

Kassow-Rossing

Respect to Wizards of the Coast! :)