Main Menu

Highlander Tournament in Livingston, NJ (USA)

Started by grizzledmage, 24-03-2009, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzledmage

After some prodding by, and assistance from, your truly, New World Manga of Livingston will be holding its first-ever Highlander tournament. Details as follows:

Date/time: Sunday, April 5 at 5:00 pm

Rules will follow those posted on the official site here at www.highlandermagic.info/index.php, with the following changes:

1. Gold-bordered cards (Championship decks) are NOT permitted.

2. In addition to the cards already on the Banned list that is posted, the card Shahrazad is also prohibited from this tournament.

3. EDIT: There WILL be Banding. The store owner has changed his mind and decided to allow Banding, but only if anybody using it brings a printout of the official rules on it (and not a handwritten summary, as that might be construed as "outside notes"). (Any questions, call him at the store!)

There will be 4 rounds, 1 game per round. (This is a non-DCI-sanctioned tournament.)

Entry cost is US$6 per person. Each attendee will receive a FREE alternate-art foil promo Path to Exile, and additional prizes will be awarded to anyone with a 2-2 record or better.

For more details, contact the store at 973-597-0625.

Mythrandir

Quote from: grizzledmage on 24-03-2009, 08:25:05 PM

3. There will be NO Banding. In other words, if any creature has or gains the ability of Banding in this tournament, it loses that ability.

Weird, but good to see ppl organizing more Highlander tournaments!

grizzledmage

That third rule change was instituted by the guy who owns the store and is running the tournament. I think he simply wants to avoid having to explain the intricacies of banding to people who haven't ever seen it before. I told him that I have yet to see any Banding creature in any Highlander deck or match I've ever seen, but he wanted to do this. Since I don't think it will actually change anything, I certainly have no problem with it.

MarcMagic

since it isnt dci sanctionated it doesnt matter at all. but nize to see highlander tournaments taking place in other countries!

Mythrandir

Quote from: grizzledmage on 25-03-2009, 06:09:33 PM
That third rule change was instituted by the guy who owns the store and is running the tournament. I think he simply wants to avoid having to explain the intricacies of banding to people who haven't ever seen it before. I told him that I have yet to see any Banding creature in any Highlander deck or match I've ever seen, but he wanted to do this. Since I don't think it will actually change anything, I certainly have no problem with it.

thought so. banding and phasing are a bit difficult to explain to some of the newer players, oh well, like you said, i haven't seen a banding creature in HL decks.

GL with the tournament.

king of nothing

I'm very excited about this tournamnet.  Hopfully there is a good showing for it.  See you there grizzledmage
It's no coincidence that the oldest trolls are also the angriest

grizzledmage

So far excitement seems high, and I think the turnout will be good. I hope to be there as well (there's a chance I will be unable to come, but right now I think it about 80-90 percent likely I WILL be there.)

Still tweaking the 2 decks that are the current frontrunners...

grizzledmage

NEXT EVENT: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 5:00 pm (17:00, GMT-5:00 for those of you coming across the Atlantic for this)

The store owner told me last night that he plans on running a Highlander tournament every month. Now just how awesome is that?

(It is unlikely that I will be able to attend, because of a conflict with our North Jersey Veteran Mages... oh well!)

Mythrandir

Quote from: grizzledmage on 24-04-2009, 04:14:50 PM
NEXT EVENT: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 5:00 pm (17:00, GMT-5:00 for those of you coming across the Atlantic for this)

The store owner told me last night that he plans on running a Highlander tournament every month. Now just how awesome is that?

(It is unlikely that I will be able to attend, because of a conflict with our North Jersey Veteran Mages... oh well!)

Good to see the format spreading and becoming more regular! congrats :)

grizzledmage

Livingston Highlander (III) Sunday June 28th 5:00!

Yep; the next HL tournament in Livingston is this Sunday!

Note the following:

SHAHARAZAD added to the banned list as a house rule. Also, silver- and gold-border cards NOT allowed as an add'l house rule.

One game, not best of 3.

4 rounds, Swiss-style tournament. (40 minute rounds)

Foil DCI Promo PATH TO EXILE for all participants! (max 40 players) Additional prize(s) to anyone with a 2-2 record or better.

I hope to be there; I have an appointment earlier in the day in Connecticut (about a 2.5-hour drive) but I am hopeful we'll be back in time.

Woot!

Mythrandir

Quote from: grizzledmage on 23-06-2009, 04:54:28 PM
Livingston Highlander (III) Sunday June 28th 5:00!

Yep; the next HL tournament in Livingston is this Sunday!

Note the following:

SHAHARAZAD added to the banned list as a house rule. Also, silver- and gold-border cards NOT allowed as an add'l house rule.

One game, not best of 3.

4 rounds, Swiss-style tournament. (40 minute rounds)

Foil DCI Promo PATH TO EXILE for all participants! (max 40 players) Additional prize(s) to anyone with a 2-2 record or better.

I hope to be there; I have an appointment earlier in the day in Connecticut (about a 2.5-hour drive) but I am hopeful we'll be back in time.

Woot!

one game, not 3. 40 min.. that's a bit harsh, IMO. But good to see the format becoming more common around players.

grizzledmage

Quoteone game, not 3. 40 min.. that's a bit harsh, IMO.

You're correct, but under the circumstances both the TO and I agree this is best. Running best of 3 very often (as I suspect all here are aware) ends up in overtimes, and I know that in this particular meta that will probably not go over well. On the other hand, 40 minutes is enough for one game probably 75-90% of the time. He makes up for it somewhat with the extra round (in this store, EVERY other tournament is 3 rounds), and I think it's worked out fine so far.

grizzledmage

Livingston Highlander (IV), Sunday July 26th 5:30!

Same location/format/rules as last time; NEW banned list in effect.

grizzledmage

Livingston Highlander (V), Sunday August 16th, 5:30 pm!

Same location/format/rules as last time. Three or four rounds, depending on attendance; one game per round.

Hope to see you there!

grizzledmage

Next event: Sunday, October 25, 2009

The TO has not yet released all (any, really) details, but I suspect it will be similar to the August one.

I will post details here as they become available.