Main Menu

taboo subject???

Started by Maximus, 15-03-2009, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

I haven't completely scoured this site for this subject, but I haven't seen anything about it. If it's taboo or we aren't supposed to talk about it I apologize.

Has anyone thought of talking to the powers that be at Wizards about making this a DCI sanctioned format??? Is it even possible?

I live in America and we don't have big tournaments like the GP's in Europe. There is a pretty decent amount of people in my area that has shown a lot of interest in the Highlander format, but some of them only play in sanctioned tournaments.

pyyhttu

From what I've been in touch with this format's inventor Frank Topel, I got a feeling that one grand ultimate goals for this format are indeed DCI sanctioning status, but I am not sure if that was a tongue in the cheek reply from him. But in theory it's doable if large enough people embrace this.

One important mile stone has been that MTGO's renewed 100 singleton looked into German Highlander when defined their format and folks at Wizards have publicly stated this: http://wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/17 (<-- ctrl-f: highlander). 

Other than that, I don't think maintainers of this format have really tried to push this format. Sturmgott can probably shed some light.

And, eh... taboo? Where did you get this from?

Maximus

The reason I thought it might be taboo to talk about it is because I hadn't seen any posts regarding it.
Like I said though, I haven't completely searched the forums on this.
I would be ecstatic if Highlander became a sanctioned format!!! I would be more than happy to do what I can to help get it sanctioned.
What would be the easiest way to get a hold of Sturmgott for some more info??

pyyhttu

Not sure what info you require anymore and I guess he'll reply if sees worthwhile to contribute to this thread.

Anyway, I think he doesn't mind if enclose this here as are related to the thread and just noticed them:

21:50:18 -!- Irssi: Starting query in im with FrankTopel
21:50:18 <pyyhttu> Taboo? http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=210.0
Day changed to 16 Mar 2009
00:28:54 <FrankTopel> no, not taboo. but we need to make HL so strong WotC can no longer afford to ignore it, and foremost, when they sanction it they should not alter the rules (with respect to Mulligan, IE/CE legality, Banned List etc)
00:30:17 <FrankTopel> so we must first make these rules unquestionable which require such a large player base that is not willing to accept all their CE/IE duals an stuff suddenly becoming illegal

Nastaboi

Well, WotC would never sanction a format where gold- or square-boarded cards are allowed. But seriously, this shouldn't be a big loss. Only once have I seen someone actually playing gold-boarded card in his deck, and WotC support makes format so much more available to players than allowing some proxies nobody even has.

The special mulligan rule they could easily adopt, and them taking responsibility on watching banned list can only be a good thing.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Sturmgott

Nobody even has?

In the area I live many people play mostly IE/CE Duals, e.g. me. I would be left without a single legal dual if WotC changed that. Apart from that, there is no reason not to allow these as long as the corners are rounded accurately.

Unlegalizing them would mean to spoil the investments players have made on their cards, not only duals, but also blackbordered Regrowths, Demonics, Swords to Plowshares, Wrath of God, Earthquake, Birds of Paradise, Lightning Bolts, Counterspells etc etc.

For me, banning those cards would make new investments of several hundred, if not thousand â,¬s necessary. I'd even consider quitting then.

Nastaboi

I don't really understand why one would get a collectible item which costs nearly as much as original only to ruin it with knife or scissors. Revised edition cards are cheap to aquire, and replacing them with black boardered fake cards are not exactly what I would call "pimping up".

I do appreciate that there is a format where one can play otherwise unplayable cards, but this is the cost that one has to pay if we ever want the format sanctioned.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)