Main Menu

UGbw Survival

Started by Chevron, 04-02-2009, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chevron

Adapted list from something I found on the net somewhere. I don't remember where.

Creatures - 35

1 Aeon Chronicler
1 Aven Riftwatcher
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Body Double
1 Bone Shredder
1 Chameleon Colossus
1 Doran, the Siege Tower
1 Eternal Witness
1 Exalted Angel
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Genesis
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Looter il-Kor
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Merfolk Looter
1 Mirror Entity
1 Mulldrifter
1 Mystic Snake
1 Ohran Viper
1 Psychatog
1 Ravenous Baloth
1 Reveillark
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Spike Feeder
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Trygon Predator
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Wall of Roots
1 Wild Mongrel
1 Wonder

Lands - 36

1 Bayou
1 Breeding Pool
1 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Forest
1 Forest
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Island
1 Island
1 Karakas
1 Krosan Verge
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Mutavault
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Rishadan Port
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Treetop Village
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Wasteland
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

Spells - 30

1 AEther Vial
1 Bitterblossom
1 Brainstorm
1 Circular Logic
1 Collective Restraint
1 Condescend
1 Counterspell
1 Deep Analysis
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dissipate
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Force of Will
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Intuition
1 Life from the Loam
1 Mana Leak
1 Mox Diamond
1 Raven's Crime
1 Regrowth
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Upheaval
1 Worldly Tutor

If I missed a category placement or two, I apologize, I did it fairly quickly.

Any thoughts?

Zephyr

1. Why you don´t play Shriekmaw? It´s very good piece to Intuition or Gifts (LftL+Volrath´s Stronghold+any crt to intuition, LftL+Volrath´s Stronghold+ Regrowth+ any crt to Gifts)
2. Where is Putrefy, Mortify, Smother and Vindicate? I play many builds of Survival and these cards is must have.
3. If you would include Psychatog combo, you must play Corpse Dance and Mystical Teachings to tutor Dance. If you don´t play corpse dance, you can´t attack with Psychatog and you don´t have reason to play Upheavel.
4. Masticore? It´s "Chain Gun", in late-game you can´t lose with Masta.
5. Why not Idylic Tutor? It´s quite good to find survival (you can search for bitter too)
6. Only one grave hate? It´s very few for highlander. Maybe in your meta, you don´t need more than one piece.
7. Play Krovikan Horror and Squee, Goblin Nabob. Both is very good to Masta or to Survival.
Look on my build of UGBWSA:

// Creatures
    1 [FNM] Wonder
    1 [UD] Yavimaya Elder
    1 [DIS] Loaming Shaman
    1 [TSP] Harmonic Sliver
    1 [AL] Krovikan Horror
    1 [MR] Solemn Simulacrum
    1 [EX] Spike Weaver
    1 [TE] Tradewind Rider
    1 [EX] Wood Elves
    1 [UL] Deranged Hermit
    1 [AP] Spiritmonger
    1 [UD] Masticore
    1 [LRW] Shriekmaw
    1 [UD] Academy Rector
    1 [RAV] Loxodon Hierarch
    1 [SHM] Vexing Shusher
    1 [A] Birds of Paradise
    1 [MI] Wall of Roots
    1 [6E] Llanowar Elves
    1 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves
    1 [US] Gilded Drake
    1 [SH] Wall of Blossoms
    1 [LRW] Wispmare
    1 [FD] Eternal Witness
    1 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
    1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
    1 [VI] Uktabi Orangutan
    1 [FUT] Quagnoth
    1 [JU] Genesis
    1 [ON] Ravenous Baloth
    1 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 [RAV] Dimir House Guard
    1 [ALA] Empyrial Archangel
    1 [LRW] Liliana Vess
    1 [MM] Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 [VI] Man-o'-War

// Spells
    1 [EX] Recurring Nightmare
    1 [TE] Intuition
    1 [IN] Fact or Fiction
    1 [AP] Pernicious Deed
    1 [UD] Pattern of Rebirth
    1 [LRW] Primal Command
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    1 [CST] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    1 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
    1 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
    1 [A] Demonic Tutor
    1 [MI] Worldly Tutor
    1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [MOR] Idyllic Tutor
    1 [EX] Survival of the Fittest
    1 [LG] Sylvan Library
    1 [IN] Sterling Grove
    1 [US] Worship
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    1 [LRW] Makeshift Mannequin
    1 [A] Regrowth
    1 [RAV] Shred Memory
    1 [FD] All Suns' Dawn
    1 [ON] Oversold Cemetery
    1 [REW] Mortify
    1 [REW] Putrefy
    1 [FNM] Smother
    1 [RAV] Faith's Fetters
    1 [AP]  Vindicate
Look on combo Tradewind Racer and Gilded Drake. It´s good, no?
PS: I see you don´t play Krosan Grip. Insert it into your deck  ;)

Mythrandir

Quote1. Why you don´t play Shriekmaw? It´s very good piece to Intuition or Gifts (LftL+Volrath´s Stronghold+any crt to intuition, LftL+Volrath´s Stronghold+ Regrowth+ any crt to Gifts)

He´s right, shriekmaw is very, very useful card.

Quote2. Where is Putrefy, Mortify, Smother and Vindicate? I play many builds of Survival and these cards is must have.

I´d probably cut smother, but a definitely YES to the other 3.

Quote3. If you would include Psychatog combo, you must play Corpse Dance and Mystical Teachings to tutor Dance. If you don´t play corpse dance, you can´t attack with Psychatog and you don´t have reason to play Upheavel.

Not exactly, but i agree on the upheavel. I think you don´t play enough cards worth playing this, IMO.

Quote4. Masticore? It´s "Chain Gun", in late-game you can´t lose with Masta.

Good, but not true, you can lose with this thing in play.

Quote6. Only one grave hate? It´s very few for highlander. Maybe in your meta, you don´t need more than one piece.

I agree, you can play withered wretch or loaming shaman. Or add a phyrexian furnace or even a shred memory -> transmutes to survival.

Quote7. Play Krovikan Horror and Squee, Goblin Nabob. Both is very good to Masta or to Survival.
Look on my build of UGBWSA:

He already plays Squee.

Also, i would probably cut dissipate. Because of the double UU

You can also take a look at these two posts, they contain similar strategies as yours:

- http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=157.0

- http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=120.0

Payron

Quote from: Zephyr on 04-02-2009, 07:58:46 PM
1. Why you don´t play Shriekmaw? It´s very good piece to Intuition or Gifts (LftL+Volrath´s Stronghold+any crt to intuition, LftL+Volrath´s Stronghold+ Regrowth+ any crt to Gifts)

I agree Bone shredder, shriekmaw and Demonic Tutor are the MAIN resons to play black

2. Where is Putrefy, Mortify, Smother and Vindicate? I play many builds of Survival and these cards is must have.

I didn t play even one of this cards in my builds ... what do they do for you that is a survial deck no 4c control you want to lose with your perfect toolbox of creatures and don t wanne trade cards 1 buy one when it isn t a creature

3. If you would include Psychatog combo, you must play Corpse Dance and Mystical Teachings to tutor Dance. If you don´t play corpse dance, you can´t attack with Psychatog and you don´t have reason to play Upheavel.

yea the combo is nice ... still is Upheavle and Psycha tog good by themself ... I rly belive that Upheavel won me so much games that it is just proofen to play

4. Masticore? It´s "Chain Gun", in late-game you can´t lose with Masta.

He is very good but far away from auto win lategame .. still you should off play him

5. Why not Idylic Tutor? It´s quite good to find survival (you can search for bitter too)

is a OK card ... but it cost 3 mana at sorcery speed ... main reason that it isn t soooo good

6. Only one grave hate? It´s very few for highlander. Maybe in your meta, you don´t need more than one piece.

totaly agree 1 is way to less for highlander ... you should of try stonecloaker ... sometimes rly a gamewinner also .. and combat tricks

7. Play Krovikan Horror and Squee, Goblin Nabob. Both is very good to Masta or to Survival.

Squee is enough becuase if u have survial you just don t care if you have 2 similar cards in the deck ... no need for the horror

you could check the GP 4 top 8 ... there were pretty cool decks

eev

Smother is very usefull card, and defenetly more practical than Mortify or Putrefy because of the mana costs.

Mythrandir

Quote from: eev on 10-02-2009, 02:12:54 AM
Smother is very usefull card, and defenetly more practical than Mortify or Putrefy because of the mana costs.

I think smother is way to conditional, mortify and putrefy are more versatile. The only thing i think smother is better is if you´re playing in a really heavy aggro meta.

eev

well smother costs are just better than mortify and putrefy, because of color requirements (if u dont run WB or GB) and cmc. vs agro card is simply better because it's cheaper. Control runs not many small creatures, but then mortify and putrefy are not very usefull. midrange decks runs a lot of different 3 mana or less drops, so that means card always has a target. Smother is also cheap way to do some mana denial, by killing birds or elf's, in the other case it's a bit mana intensive. after many plays vs zoo, ww, UGb, UGx Survival, Elfen, UWR or UR control, dredge etc. (meta here) i removed putrefy and mortify from my deck, and put smother.
Of course Putrefy and Mortify are more versatile, that's clear, but anyway it's possible to run it together with smother. The only decks i can think of vs which smother is really useless is Oath or some combo decks.
That's my imho.